Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,557 members, 7,820,013 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:26 AM

Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US - Travel (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US (32571 Views)

A South African Lady Condemns Attack On Nigerians, Calls Them Nice People / Edo Girl Hustling In Russia Warns Nigerians Back Home (Video) . / Cameroonian Lady Has Message About Nigerians Living Abroad (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US by helpee(m): 12:43pm On Jan 18, 2015
justwise:

Why not call their attention to it? I mean nairaland rank top 10 in Africa, email the ministry with this link.
of course I've called seun attention to this thread mailing him ist. People like you that have never created any successful business in Nigeria don't care to say anything. By the way, seun started this forum in Nigeria, made money in Nigeria and it is this same country that is Killing business. Yet seun, right here in Nigeria employed you from your safe haven un UK and you still have mouth to talk against that country. If all hope is lost then I don't know why we are all saying we should vote right come Feb14.... nigerian hope may be lost for you not for us. this is a nigerian forum for nigerians and your views make u unfit to moderate travel section.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US by justwise(m): 12:51pm On Jan 18, 2015
helpee:
of course I've called seun attention to this thread mailing him ist. People like you that have never created any successful business in Nigeria don't care to say anything. By the way, seun started this forum in Nigeria, made money in Nigeria and it is this same country that is Killing business. Yet seun, right here in Nigeria employed you from your safe haven un UK and you still have mouth to talk against that country. If all hope is lost then I don't know why we are all saying we should vote right come Feb14.... nigerian hope may be lost for you not for us. this is a nigerian forum for nigerians and your views make u unfit to moderate travel section.

Point of correction...Seun did not employ me, this is volunteering work, i'm not getting paid a penny. I'm volunteering because i support what Seun is doing.

There are millions of nairadland-like website in Nigeria, how many are as good as nairaland or any close to it? Nairaland is doing well because of Seun's dedicated hard work and not because he is a Nigerian or benefiting from any Nigerian govt business program, he can run this website from anywhere in the world.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US by helpee(m): 1:04pm On Jan 18, 2015
justwise:

Point of correction...Seun did not employ me, this is volunteering work, i'm not getting paid a penny. I'm volunteering because i support what Seun is doing.

There are millions of nairadland-like website in Nigeria, how many are as good as nairaland or any close to it? Nairaland is doing well because of Seun's dedicated hard work and not because he is a Nigerian or benefiting from any Nigerian govt business program, he can run this website from anywhere in the world.
now that you are in UK where govt support businesses, start your own forum with your narrowed hatred for nigerian and see how far you will go. How many successful forums have been created by nigerians in diaspora?. Even Linda ikeji is based in Nigeria. Which volunteer work? Seun made u relevant. He owes u nothing but you owe him your relevance on nairaland. Like you said, seun us not the lazy type that wait for govt to do everything for him...he is hardworking. A trait missing in most nigerian youths blaming govt for everything. Volunteer work? And you spend all your life on nairaland. I wonder what you are doing in UK then

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US by justwise(m): 1:14pm On Jan 18, 2015
helpee:
now that you are in UK where govt support businesses, start your own forum with your narrowed hatred for nigerian and see how far you will go. How many successful forums have been created by nigerians in diaspora?. Even Linda ikeji is based in Nigeria. Which volunteer work? Seun made u relevant. He owes u nothing but you owe him your relevance on nairaland. Like you said, seun us not the lazy type that wait for govt to do everything for him...he is hardworking. A trait missing in most nigerian youths blaming govt for everything. Volunteer work? And you spend all your life on nairaland. I wonder what you are doing in UK then

How many hours do you think i spent posting here in nairaland?

Not everybody wants to own a website or forum, those who have passion and the idea will do like Seun is doing.

You just mentioned Seun and Linda alone in a country of more than 150M people, do you call that a success?

Yes i'm doing it on volunteering bases and i know its hard for you to believe because there is no money involved, try it.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US by Nobody: 4:39pm On Jan 18, 2015
maternal:

Seems like you live in the Walt Disney of Nigeria. My uncle actually dropped dead on the streets not too long ago, not to mention the 2k people who also did about a week ago. With a gen why wouldn't you have 17 hours of neppa, while breathing in the toxic fumes of this gen to receive this 17 hours of neppa. I'm sure after you drive 1 block on this clean and orderly street, you'll run into poverty with police demanding bribes at check points, children selling pure water, etc. You may not be rich or a politician daughter, but you have a good imagination. 2 months after NYSE and you got a job ? Your toto sweet pass sugar cane. You get visa easily to any country of your choice easily (LOL No country respects that ROTTIN PASSPORT)? Touching the gate to any developed nation's embassy's gate is as far as you'll get. Stop insulting yourself.

Naija is sweet yet you'll migrate in the future for "personal reasons" aka Nigeria is a failed state, yet you're here talking all this. If everything you said is true why are you even looking to migrate ? Nne were nwanyo, hapu this Walt Disney story. Biko.
grin grin grin
Re: Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US by momoyama: 4:59pm On Jan 18, 2015
JewelStone:
@ Justwise

While I agree that Nigeria has serious problems that need urgent attention, it really isn't as bad as you and others are painting it. You seem to have an anti - Nigeria spirit, not only on this thread. Maybe it's because you stayed in Aba before you travelled out, I can understand.

You make it sound like people are dropping dead on the streets of Nigeria everyday, this is grossly untrue. The Nigeria you describe is not the Nigeria I live in. This is a website, anybody in the world can have access to these messages, I'm beyond embarrassed that this is the picture some people are painting of my country.

I live in Uyo. We have at least 17 hrs power supply every day, I don't feel insecure or unsafe at any time of the day, the streets are clean and orderly, the state is opening up; small and medium scale business are booming. Uyo is peaceful and beautiful, I love it here.

Before anybody will ask, I am not a politician's daughter, neither do I have wealthy parents/family. I believe in hard work and grace. I got my job 2 months after NYSC, without knowing any Adam. I live a comfortable life, and I get Visas easily to any country of my choice, without stress. I'm a self made "average" Nigerian, and people like me do exist.

I'm not saying that Nigeria is perfect, and I'm not against immigration, as I might migrate in the future for personal reasons. My point is, I don't know the kick you get out of it, but you are painting a picture of Nigeria that is relatively untrue, and it's unfair, since you're doing nothing tangible to ameliorate the situation. And also, your generalisation that only corrupt politicians live comfortably in Nigeria is very insulting.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

That is all I am asking for: BALANCE.

I admire your ability to put things in perspective and to recognise when someone is putting down your country seemingly with glee and without any kind of balance. It is good to know that there are many people in Nigeria like you, who take pride in your country and are willing to try to make things better rather than sit about and tear the country down.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US by maternal: 5:13pm On Jan 18, 2015
JewelStone:

Who said that America or any other country is dead? Did I ever say that people shouldn't travel out? My life is beautiful wherever I am. Unlike you, I don't have to comb other people's countries looking for miracles. Stop hating please

Keep blaming your failure on Nigeria while your peers are making it and living comfortably, you're on you own.

The Nigerian definition of miracle is a respectable life. Well I found that miracle in another man's country. You're here forming big girl when in reality you're not even on most people's level.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US by momoyama: 5:14pm On Jan 18, 2015
maternal:

Enormous issues that need urgent attention, but it's not as bad. See contradiction. Mrs. Walt Disney which one is it ? I've been to Akwa. Like every other rotting state in the country ,most of it is under-developed with corrupted officials. If the state was so good, why wouldn't everyone from the country migrate there to drive on those nice roads, receiving 17 hour neppa ? Your delusion is comical. You haven't been to those countries, again stop insulting yourself. I assume your boyfriend is Nigerian by origin. Why wouldn't he come to your amazing Uyo state and live such a wonderful life like yourself ? Or maybe you suggested it and he laughed and called you a goat, telling you if we get married you must leave that garbage country and you all of a sudden became pro migration ? Ewu. Lastly you don't seem too bright, so let me be the first to inform you your boyfriend is servicing other women in America.

What an ignorant, presumptuous person you are. Just because you disagree with her, now you suddenly have some insight into which countries she has visited and what her boyfriend is doing. Your post is evidence that you are animated by hostility rather than rational thought.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US by maternal: 5:26pm On Jan 18, 2015
momoyama:

What an ignorant, presumptuous person you are. Just because you disagree with her, now you suddenly have some insight into which countries she has visited and what her boyfriend is doing. Your post is evidence that you are animated by hostility rather than rational thought.

If she lied about everything else she'd definitely lie about that. Her post about her job offer after 2 months, constant electricity is equivalent to me saying I came back from the dead in a developed nation. At that point anything I say is irrelevant. Either way you wouldn't understand.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US by momoyama: 5:28pm On Jan 18, 2015
maternal:

If she lied about everything else she'd definitely lie about that. Her post about her job offer after 2 months, constant electricity is equivalent to me saying I came back from the dead in a developed nation. At that point anything I say is irrelevant. Either way you wouldn't understand.

Why on earth would she lie and say she only gets 17 hours electricity a day?! On my calculation, that leaves 7 hours with no electricity. Does that sound like something to be bragging about? You do not even attempt to be fair and balanced!
Re: Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US by maternal: 5:37pm On Jan 18, 2015
momoyama:

Why on earth would she lie and say she only gets 17 hours electricity a day?! On my calculation, that leaves 7 hours with no electricity. Does that sound like something to be bragging about? You do not even attempt to be fair and balanced!

In Nigeria ? hell yes. No disrespect sir, I won't be doing this with you. Like I said, you wouldn't understand. Her claims are delusional.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US by momoyama: 6:15pm On Jan 18, 2015
maternal:

In Nigeria ? hell yes. No disrespect sir, I won't be doing this with you. Like I said, you wouldn't understand. Her claims are delusional.

So you HONESTLY mean to tell me that the lights go out on average every single day in parts of Lagos? Sorry, but I do not believe that.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US by JewelStone(f): 6:28pm On Jan 18, 2015
momoyama:

That fellow believes everyone that has a positive personal story about Nigeria must be lying, he has some serious psychological issues. Since I woke up @6am, there's electricity in my house, even as I'm typing this response. Why would I lie about this or my travel experience and job, what do I stand to gain?

Even if I upload my pictures and Intl passport here, he will still be too ignorant to believe. Smh
Re: Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US by momoyama: 6:34pm On Jan 18, 2015
JewelStone:

That fellow believes everyone that has a positive personal story about Nigeria must be lying, he has some serious psychological issues. Since I woke up @6am, there's electricity in my house, even as I'm typing this response. Why would I lie about this or my travel experience and job, what do I stand to gain?

Even if I upload my pictures and Intl passport here, he will still be too ignorant to believe. Smh

Exactly
Re: Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US by momoyama: 6:42pm On Jan 18, 2015
JewelStone:

Is it true that there are daily power cuts, though? Actually every single day?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US by JewelStone(f): 6:49pm On Jan 18, 2015
justwise:

If you are running a company called Nigeria and invested 150m in it with shareholders involved, in every financial year you announce losses, not even break-even, when asked for solution you come up with future profit forecast, engaged in PR exercise to convince investors and shareholders that all is fine, after many years of the same turnover at what point will you stop covering it up and come out clean?
The world doesn't need to read my post in travel section to know exactly what Nigeria is like, they knew that already, they have embassies in Nigeria and every embassy send home monthly report about situation in Nigeria.
You graduated and got a job and my question to you is this? How Nigerian graduates are that lucky?
How many states out of 37 or 38 in Nigeria are enjoying average of 17hrs power supply daily?
You said that Nigeria has serious problems that need urgent attention and i asked: How long has this been the case? Is it a new thing?

Running a country is different from running a company, you can't just give up and shut down a country because it's not working. Where will the people go? Everybody knows that Nigeria has issues that span through decades, but we can't just give up and write off the whole country.

People are moving to Uyo everyday, youth corpers from other parts of the country are influencing their posting down here and they don't want to leave afterwards, life is less stressful, there isn't much traffic, people are comfortable and businesses are opening up. I dunno about other places, but I have it good here and my life is not in any danger. Maybe I'm lucky, maybe

I haven't been around the world yet, but I've been to a couple of developed countries and I agree that Nigeria is seriously lagging behind in all categories of development. But its still livable; except in the north east.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US by Nobody: 6:51pm On Jan 18, 2015
momoyama:

but u said pple shldnt be leaving Nigeria for good. Are you as we are?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US by JewelStone(f): 6:52pm On Jan 18, 2015
momoyama:

Not every single day, but power cuts happen frequently. The power situation is a serious challenge though, and I understand that it's worse in some cities than others
Re: Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US by momoyama: 7:10pm On Jan 18, 2015
JewelStone:

Running a country is different from running a company, you can't just give up and shut down a country because it's not working. Where will the people go? Everybody knows that Nigeria has issues that span through decades, but we can't just give up and write off the whole country.

People are moving to Uyo everyday, youth corpers from other parts of the country are influencing their posting down here and they don't want to leave afterwards, life is less stressful, there isn't much traffic, people are comfortable and businesses are opening up. I dunno about other places, but I have it good here and my life is not in any danger. Maybe I'm lucky, maybe

[b]I haven't been around the world yet, but I've been to a couple of developed countries and I agree that Nigeria is seriously lagging behind in all categories of development. [/b]But its still livable; except in the north east.

I have always found it a little strange that many West African that I know seem to see the world in stark terms, with "developed" countries being so wonderful. Maybe it is because I have not been to Nigeria or West Africa, but I have been most places (All over Europe, Asia, South America etc.) and don't see "developed" countries as being such standouts. Argentina, for instance, is a "developing" country technically, but I would far sooner live there than most of Europe or the USA.

I encourage you to see as much of the world as possible. I think you will find that home is not so bad after all.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US by momoyama: 7:13pm On Jan 18, 2015
ferdimako:

but u said pple shldnt be leaving Nigeria for good. Are you as we are?

I did not say that. I said large numbers of people migrating economically is not good. I said I would not migrate for economic reasons. For family, lifestyle or just because I may find a wonderful deal on a nice house in a foreign country I would consider moving, but not permanently.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US by justwise(m): 7:13pm On Jan 18, 2015
JewelStone:

I haven't been around the world yet, but I've been to a couple of developed countries and I agree that Nigeria is seriously lagging behind in all categories of development. But its still livable; except in the north east.

Yes the country will not shut down but can you tell me why govt after govt the same problem, the power problem is more than 30 years old.

So all Nigerians should move to Uyo state to be able to enjoy constant power and security?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US by maternal: 7:30pm On Jan 18, 2015
momoyama:

So you HONESTLY mean to tell me that the lights go out on average every single day in parts of Lagos? Sorry, but I do not believe that.

YOUR ignorance is comical. You honestly don't know how bad this country is. That woman is feeding you garbage. She's definitely benefitting from the corruption with such foolish patriotism. Don't let her fool you.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US by Nobody: 8:02pm On Jan 18, 2015
momoyama:

I did not say that. I said large numbers of people migrating economically is not good. I said I would not migrate for economic reasons. For family, lifestyle or just because I may find a wonderful deal on a nice house in a foreign country I would consider moving, but not permanently.
I don't know what to believe... all I know is if going abroad makes one any better, so be it.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US by momoyama: 8:06pm On Jan 18, 2015
ferdimako:

I don't know what to believe... all I know is if going abroad makes one any better, so be it.

so that means that the whole world should just get up and move on a whim, like musical chairs. If you come from a country, that is where you belong.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US by Nobody: 8:13pm On Jan 18, 2015
momoyama:

so that means that the whole world should just get up and move on a whim, like musical chairs. If you come from a country, that is where you belong.
Then tell your ally not to since she has it all here. Pple who aren't happy where they were born should move when they see the route. I don't understand folks who abandon their good lives for an uncertainty. Let those stay!
Re: Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US by kalimera101: 10:05pm On Jan 18, 2015
ferdimako:

I don't expect you to migrate because of marriage. Bring him here! What happens to your career? Your good life? Do you even know his worth in America? Pple suffer there oh.

The essence of this thread is Nigerians shouldn't be going abroad to live and work. Did you even read it. Not you having the status to command embassies for visas. Visit and come back or visit sites in Nigeria only. Marry and bring him here...here is good for you, remember!

Dude, the essence of this thread is to find out why Nigerians in Nigeria hate on Nigerians in diaspora.
Free the girl. She's living well.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US by kalimera101: 10:16pm On Jan 18, 2015
Momoyama. I told you so. Leave Nigeria matters
Re: Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US by kalimera101: 10:21pm On Jan 18, 2015
momoyama:

Yes, Momo. There are daily power cuts in some places. In some other places upto or more than a month black out.

Right now, I'm using generator. And the power for today lasted just for 2 hours.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US by momoyama: 10:37pm On Jan 18, 2015
kalimera101:

Yes, Momo. There are daily power cuts in some places. In some other places upto or more than a month black out.

Right now, I'm using generator. And the power for today lasted just for 2 hours.

Why don't people use solar panels on their homes? That would solve the problem of outages and is also environmentally friendly. I think the problem of outages creates an opportunity for private power companies. Does the government have a monopoly?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US by lillaowow(m): 11:11pm On Jan 18, 2015
momoyama:

grin grin grin grin.. this got me rolling on the floor.. Unbelievable, right? in 2015

but YES!!!.. even some place in Lagos don't have electricity for up to 3 weeks
some places do have regular supply tho but not so regular to have ice cubes in your fridge. regular enough to make your fridge cool (not cold ).

talking of corruption and power supply

we pay for the Power company to install their meter, we pay for them to bring transformers, they afterwards come back to steal something from the transformer then say the transformer will not work until a particular stuff stolen from it was bought by contribution from the same community
Why should anyone pay for Electircity meter that ought to be given freely. My dad paid for 3 over 2 years now, we've only gotten 1 (even after paying)
so many corruption story.
when i was serving, the school i served with doesn't have enough teachers but because the proprietor knows people in authority, the school was approved by the education board. i suffered. imagine a private school with no Physics teacher, basic tech teacher, Economics teacher, there was a time the school doesn't have English and maths teacher (i am talking of teacher and not TEACHERS). i took Basic tech, geography, physics, Crs. in fact i would have taken maths (as a youth corper...DAMN!!!). they have their way of manipulating parents and students.The proprietor is only concerned about collecting the students money cos they pay a lot (around 160,000naira). school account is controlled by proprietor, no bursar. and once you raise a valid point, he either sacks you or delay your salary (but i'm a corper, so he can only reject me). i witness several teachers leave and i was bothered and the implication to the students seeing new teachers (part time teachers) every two weeks.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US by momoyama: 11:17pm On Jan 18, 2015
lillaowow:

grin grin grin grin.. this got me rolling on the floor.. Unbelievable, right? in 2015

but YES!!!.. even some place in Lagos don't have electricity for up to 3 weeks
some places do have regular supply tho but not so regular to have ice cubes in your fridge. regular enough to make your fridge cool (not cold ).

talking of corruption and power supply

we pay for the Power company to install their meter, we pay for them to bring transformers, they afterwards come back to steal something from the transformer then say the transformer will not work until a particular stuff stolen from it was bought by contribution from the same community
Why should anyone pay for Electircity meter that ought to be given freely. My dad paid for 3 over 2 years now, we've only gotten 1 (even after paying)
so many corruption story.
when i was serving, the school i served with doesn't have enough teachers but because the proprietor knows people in authority, the school was approved by the education board. i suffered. imagine a private school with no Physics teacher, basic tech teacher, Economics teacher, there was a time the school doesn't have English and maths teacher (i am talking of teacher and not TEACHERS). i took Basic tech, geography, physics, Crs. in fact i would have taken maths (as a youth corper...DAMN!!!). they have their way of manipulating parents and students.The proprietor is only concerned about collecting the students money cos they pay a lot (around 160,000naira). school account is controlled by proprietor, no bursar. and once you raise a valid point, he either sacks you or delay your salary (but i'm a corper, so he can only reject me). i witness several teachers leave and i was bothered and the implication to the students seeing new teachers (part time teachers) every two weeks.

wow
Re: Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US by lillaowow(m): 11:17pm On Jan 18, 2015
momoyama:

Why don't people use solar panels on their homes? That would solve the problem of outages and is also environmentally friendly. I think the problem of outages creates an opportunity for private power companies. Does the government have a monopoly?

people do.
some have inverters ,
some have generators

we are creative in Nigeria grin grin

some like my dad stopped complaining about the government
we have a borehole means we supply our own water
infact if it is possible, people will construct their own road
the community has their own security and they impose curfew

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

As Seen On Kakande Road Enroute Ajah This Morning / 253 Nigerians Arrive From UK, Taken To Isolation Centers / An Overview Of Kaduna International Airport (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.