Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,349 members, 7,957,924 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 02:27 AM

Are Nigerian 'Graduates' Really Graduates? - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Are Nigerian 'Graduates' Really Graduates? (17094 Views)

Why Do Nigerian Graduates Dread (or Is It Hate) Marketing/sales Jobs? / 30k Monthly Salary For Nigerian Graduates, Scholarship For All, Just Register / Nigerian Graduates Are Employable Only After Polishing- CEO, Accenture Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Nigerian 'Graduates' Really Graduates? by larger20(m): 7:48pm On Mar 26, 2006
;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d
Re: Are Nigerian 'Graduates' Really Graduates? by mandi: 9:11am On Apr 26, 2006
larger_20:

Well our problem is lack of computer educational system and current books.

I think it has to be more than that.
Re: Are Nigerian 'Graduates' Really Graduates? by okeke: 4:41pm On Apr 27, 2006
Hello all,

I will like to say that the educational system in Nigerian universities is only bad in high tech areas and programming but we all get the basics in theory. In my class, Nigerians are among the best and are actually doing incredible things. Many Nigerians who left for postgraduate studies abroad have excelled in many world reputable universities.

If you don't find yourself among these futurnate ones, it might probably be that you are not good naturally or that you failled to do what you were supposed to do back home. Do not blame the educational system.

Some people during their industrial attachment learn things like programming and other things that make them able to compete favorably in most places in the world.

My regards to you all!
Re: Are Nigerian 'Graduates' Really Graduates? by somebody(f): 1:32am On May 05, 2006
Education in Nigeria=bad. I schooled in nigeria so I am talking based on experience just before I get accused of not knowing what i am saying. I believe the reason why people are able to do well abroad is because of the naija mentality and discipline not because of the sound education they received back at home. If you don't settle for less and put in your best efforts, pls tell me why you won't succeed. I like the posts of people who have been honest esp the guy who made a first from Ife. He is bound to do well because if he could make a first without the right facilities and support, then that must mean he is able to adapt well plus he is brilliant. So please what stops him from exceling or making a distinction with the right support/facilities.

What I will not blame on the universities is the poor english of some graduates. The students' pre university education is certainly to blame for that. And please nobody should tell me, english is not important. It is the official language in Nigeria. Studnets are not taught in their native languages. Please name an office in Nigeria that the language spoken is a native one. Whether we like it or not, English language is an important part of education in Nigeria. The chinese and other nationalities we like to compare ourselves to in terms of english are taught in their native languages. Therefore, it is understandable if their english is poor.

@omon, I am very curious as to when you graduated from uniben. And please pple that finished many many years ago should stop assuming that the system is still the same. It is as ridiculous as comparing ife to the days my mum was there with now. Though I will not dispute the fact that Ife is one of the best choices an undergrad in naija would have.
Re: Are Nigerian 'Graduates' Really Graduates? by larger20(m): 1:09am On May 08, 2006
OOO

OOO
Re: Are Nigerian 'Graduates' Really Graduates? by SeunO(m): 6:14pm On May 08, 2006
A lot of u guys are simply not realistic, I think Nigerian graduates should be judged according to how well they have utilised the less than meagre resources at their disposal. I think on this scale Nigerian graduates have done marvelously well.
Re: Are Nigerian 'Graduates' Really Graduates? by silans(m): 11:33am On May 29, 2006
Hey! grin before you decide to take up a course u must first determine and be informed about that course, moreso, put interest in it do research about the course , i thank God for the internet, you don't have to denied your nationality, if you do, who will develop it then?, all you need do is pray that the Government should focus on the university by providng some basic ameniities, coz without these things our universities will still remain stunt. wink
Re: Are Nigerian 'Graduates' Really Graduates? by ishmael(m): 10:11am On Jun 09, 2006
You guys are just wasting ur time on this issue. It’s obvious that Nigerian graduates are half-baked. 2 reasons are responsible for that.
1.The old lecturers and professors who only concentrate on those old stuff they know simply because they refuse to learn modern things or get themselves equipped by not going to the internet.
2.The student themselves who refuse to sit down and read; or those who read, read old stuff simply because they follow what the lecturers and professors taught them. Most students dont go out to browse the internet.

Most lecturers don’t encourage students to do research, because you may run into trouble with the lecturer who may be thinking that u,re trying to bring him down with the new techniques u,ve learnt that he does nt know about.

I had that bitter experience when I was in the polytechnic here in Nigeria studying for my HND; the lecture was angry with me simply because I discovered a new and better technique to solve a problem in Operational Research and brought it up during lecture session. Imagine, the lecturer told everybody in the class to follow exactly what he has taught us and nothing else. I was punished for discovering a new technique on the internet; he gave me a very low score in my cont. assessment and even threatened to give me a carry-over.

1 Like

Re: Are Nigerian 'Graduates' Really Graduates? by falex: 9:12pm On Jun 11, 2006
Well, i'm not suprised. Once you people have the opportunity of coming to europe to wash plates, you think that is the end of life. Can i know your own qualifications, your field of studies,and school attended, so that your stuff could be tested, for us to know what you european graduate has to offer?
Well for your information, the easiest thing to get in europe is qualifications. When you see a Nigerian graduate that really pass through the school, you cant compare him with any of his european mates.
Re: Are Nigerian 'Graduates' Really Graduates? by henryphyol(m): 1:31pm On Jun 22, 2006
My peps i must confess that the decay of the Nigerian structure has had its effect on our education system. The truth is that most of our so called professors are hungry and will be willing to give you any mark for a pot of pottage, For example my school i came out with a 2.96 in psychology which is preposterous and utterly riddiculus because am not carrying their bags and postrating for them, bribing them. Think of it all the theories we were taught in school are foreign and way back in the 30s, 50s, 60s with no fresh insight itś the same notes that they taught does in the 80s that they used for us in the new millenium.
Think of this since the day i was born its the same way beans has been cooked, corn and plantain are roasted the same way and we have so called professors in nutrition well i love Nigeria but our leader are screwing us up,
Re: Are Nigerian 'Graduates' Really Graduates? by Zahymaka(m): 2:08pm On Jun 22, 2006
henryphyol:

Think of this since the day i was born its the same way beans has been cooked, corn and plantain are roasted the same way and we have so called professors in nutrition

Could you throw more light on this?
Re: Are Nigerian 'Graduates' Really Graduates? by ishmael(m): 9:48am On Jun 23, 2006
One of my lecturers back then in school, Dr , taught us techniques he learnt or was taught in the 60's & 70's. One of my coursemate brought a notebook from home on that course that his unlce used as a student in UNN in the early 70's and we were very comfortable to use that notebook to study becos it contained almost everything the Doctor was teaching us in this new millenium. Can u imagine that!!
Re: Are Nigerian 'Graduates' Really Graduates? by baibeh(m): 4:29pm On Jul 01, 2006
i agree that some graduates here are "impaired" but hey, y should every one go blaming the "government"? i studied in a federal university and bagged a good degree. but the thing is i knew our defect in the educational sector and i was into reading deeper, further, practicing more to meet the standard at least. i could boast today that i am on an, atleast average stand, as a biochemistry undergraduate anywhere in the world.
we should just stop pointing fingers at others when it is our short coming. we are in it together. we could do the best we can by not reading to pass, but to KNOW.
i hope i am making sense? wink
Re: Are Nigerian 'Graduates' Really Graduates? by onydchic(f): 8:14am On Jul 04, 2006
In a nutshell, it's really a matter of Nigerian students being LAZY. We can't blame the govt for everything. Practical courses like comp sci, cannot be learned by theory alone, one has to go out & research, learn on your own. DAT'S d way it works EVERYWHERE. I know ppl wit 2.1's and 1st class dat cant even get around their own system, not cos dey aren't bright bt cos they didn't go dat extra mile.
Re: Are Nigerian 'Graduates' Really Graduates? by basin4u(m): 7:44pm On Jul 04, 2006
well !!! you guys have says your opinion and your insight to the nigeria university and their product. but one thing i want you to know is that, no matter where you are or what ever you find yourself doing, itis not you yourself but it is the ability and the natural built in strenght that is in you that makes you to be there. to be candid some of your conversation are rubbish, yes rubbish. why should you be saying that nigeria graduate are not up to standard in the world maket. i am a nigeria and i am proud to be a nigerian for life. though i studied agricultural engineering and i know what it takes me to finished my course in nigeria so why should you be talking rubbish because you are now in allien land that should't be so yu need to encourage nigeria student to go go school. to crown it all, nigeria education is the best so far, though you go through some stress, thoughness, reading overnight in campus class room or in the bush but they prepare you for your doing best at the international schools. they are your foundation and i believe you should;nt forget your foundation or else you will fall definitely fall. GREATEST NIGERIA STUDENT ABROAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GREAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!!!!!
Re: Are Nigerian 'Graduates' Really Graduates? by henryphyol(m): 4:27pm On Jul 06, 2006
Could you throw more light on this?
Zahymaka
What am trying to say is that there is no fresh ideas here in Nigeria,
Since the day i have been born itś the same process beans is been cooked, the same process that corn and plantain is been roasted at the side of the road nothing new no one can experiment!!!
Re: Are Nigerian 'Graduates' Really Graduates? by Mystique(f): 11:08am On Jul 07, 2006
The University system is a cankerworm that has eaten deep into our Educational System, We do not have real Graduates anymore, because we do not have real Lecturers sad

Rather, we have a bunch of individuals who a re out to fatten their own pockets by selling hand outs, and 'arranging' exam scores for students. angry
Re: Are Nigerian 'Graduates' Really Graduates? by pace(m): 11:16am On Aug 07, 2006
while i agree with some of the views aired i still think theres a lot of people here in nigerian universities who are good @ academics.i hate it when i hear students brag about the school they attend[great this or that, lol].i have a lady in my owrk place who finished from the university,studied librarianship yet she doest know what a reference section is all about!but ask any latest phone,shoes or lace material and you ll hit jackpot with her.i think its not the system of education,i strongly believe its the erosion of our cultural value that has dimished over time due to foreign influence.in the 40s and beyond nigerians have being known to travel abroad to study yet some come back excelling by retaining their core sense of values.what we need as a people now is to re-orientate our minds by going back to the basics. shocked undecided
Re: Are Nigerian 'Graduates' Really Graduates? by Ndipe(m): 9:45pm On Dec 25, 2006
The American Educational system is constantly evolving due to globalization in the world. The curriculum on campuses, are top notch. Fortunately, they have an independent body like the US News and World reports that assigns a certain score to reflect the coursework of the campus. There is no way to compare the US and the Nigerian educational system. One is way ahead of the other, and the Nigerian system is far lagging behind. As absurd as it may sound, it is indeed true that some computer science graduates are not adept at using the computer, neither can a Mass Communication graduate cwrite a press report. But that is the scenario back home. I graduated from Uniuyo years back, and the coursework that I underwent has very little bearing with my intended field. It was like almost starting from the scratch again with my education. What a waste of time?

Can you believe that there are some people with a four year degree from Nigeria, whose credentials, (irrespective of their high grade), cannot place them in their prospective field? Some have had to give up completely on education and follow the nursing route, or other fields. There is no way that I would advise a relative (especially if they are rich) to school in Nigeria. Not being critical, but being realistic. We may be "worth our salt", as someone asserted on the board, but when you are not in an environment that cant nurture you, your creativity becomes obsolete.
Re: Are Nigerian 'Graduates' Really Graduates? by alaskaa(m): 8:39pm On Dec 26, 2006
i would like to take on scorpio on what he said about the guy in his first year medical class,he is basically thought basic sciences so he can;t be so knowledgeable when it comes to anatomy of the body you guys should stop bullshitting we are not so dumb in nigeria here.there are guy here in nigeria who are much more intelligent than you guys in the uk if given a level playing ground,so you guys should stop this your queer talks and start talking positive about your country.
Re: Are Nigerian 'Graduates' Really Graduates? by 4Play(m): 8:05pm On Dec 29, 2006
alaskaa:

i would like to take on scorpio on what he said about the guy in his first year medical class,he is basically thought basic sciences so he can;t be so knowledgeable when it comes to anatomy of the body you guys should stop bullshitting we are not so dumb in nigeria here.there are guy here in nigeria who are much more intelligent than you guys in the uk if given a level playing ground,so you guys should stop this your queer talks and start talking positive about your country.

let us start talking positive then,let us pretend our graduates are of good standard
Re: Are Nigerian 'Graduates' Really Graduates? by ehie007(m): 2:40pm On Jan 15, 2007
a good number of nigerian  graduates are good its just that we lack the proper environment to study and make researches.
that why we are good in the theoritical aspect.
a normal university even a normal secondary school in the developed countries are fully equipped. what we have here is a sorry state.
one thing that helps nigerians is that we are good to adapt to things ver easily. our graduate who go abroad to study do well because its a matter of urgency and they made to adapt fast.
so not all blame goes to the graduate leave most of the blame to the entire system.
the system in which the whites or the so called illuminati want to control everything they dont want the africans to reach their level. the stystem is most to be blamed
[/color][color=#990000].
Re: Are Nigerian 'Graduates' Really Graduates? by lovelyS(m): 6:11pm On Jan 16, 2007
Nigerian graduates who pass through the system without involvement in examination malpractices are really graduates.What happen is that most people cheat all through school from primary school through higher institutionseven in job aptitude tests and interviews.In fact I was shocked to realize that there are people who passed some subjects with good grades who cannot read simple English.I was shocked to notice a close relative of mine could not read even the bible and she made 4 credits in SSCE.What happens if she succeeds in securing admission into a university?She will definitely beat the system.Such is the case of most people who do not have basic foundation before going through the university system.They end up cheating their way through.

Understandably, the quality of education has fallen as in all speres of our national life.Personal development is the key.If you can pass through the university system without cheating at least you should have the basic foundation and be trainable.
Re: Are Nigerian 'Graduates' Really Graduates? by uchetobi(f): 4:17pm On Jan 18, 2007
Well I cant speak for anybody else! Just myself so all I will say is that I am a Nigerian, schooled in Nigeria (first degree) and I can defend my certificate anywhere at anytime. So therefore am a Graduate
Re: Are Nigerian 'Graduates' Really Graduates? by Ldnigga(m): 6:07pm On Jan 25, 2007
angryreally don't know why some of you guys r talking $#@&&^%*. i did my first degree in ryte 'ere in naija nd i know 4 a fact dat students who perform poorly in naija universitie alway do better and even outshine their peers when they go to study in weatern universties. coolcheck ur self b4 u start spittin #@&&^%*
Re: Are Nigerian 'Graduates' Really Graduates? by daynike(f): 9:01pm On Jan 30, 2008
BELIEVE YOU ME SOME PEOPLE WITH 2.1 MIGHT NOT BE ABLE TO DEFEND THEMSELVES WHEN IT COMES TO INTERVIEW
.SOME DIDNOT GET THE 2.1 IN A NORMALL WAY,SOME GOT THEIRS THROUGH FLIRTING WITH LECTURERS AND SOME THROUGH BRIBERY SO WHAT DO YOU EXPECT FROM SUCH A GRADUATE.WELL MY ADVISE FOR PEOPLE IS THAT THEY SHOULD KEEP IT UP. I FINISHED FROM OSU WITH A 2.2 BUT YOU CANNOT COMPARE ME WITH SOME 2.1 PEOPLE .I FINISHED WITH 2.2 WITH A LOT OF FRUSTRATION FROM LECTURERS NOT THAT I 'M FINE JUST THAT THEY ARE JUST USELESS.SO IN MY OWN CASE I TRY EVERY OTHER MEANS TO IMPROVE MYSELF ACADEMIC ALLY.TODAY I'M A CHARTERED ACCOUNTANT.HOPING FOR BETTR TOMMORROW IN MY LIFE .BUT WITH THE 2PAC'S WORDS LIFE GOES ON EITHER IN THE BAD WAY OR IN A GOOD WAY.SOME GRADUATES ARE GRADUATES BY MOUTH.
Re: Are Nigerian 'Graduates' Really Graduates? by chopsy(m): 3:57pm On Feb 03, 2008
Most times,Nigerian graduates have me deny being a Nigerian or how do you explain a situation whereby an english graduate cannot construct simple english and mixing up past tense with past continous etc.
Anyway,we still have a few ones who are doing us proud.
Re: Are Nigerian 'Graduates' Really Graduates? by ajile2: 8:22am On Feb 04, 2008
i dont think the problem is with the goverment or lack of facilities. it is an individual thing. throughout my stay in school, i had friends that could not read for exams or study just to know what they ve been taught. they all depended on expos and exam malpratices together with bribing of lecturers.so i think the problem is over population,then we ve 200 to 400 student in an examination hall,with just 4 or 3 invegilators and maybe 200 seats,there ll definitely be cheating. so i think if we lay more importance to values than certificates,student ll really want to know and not just graduating
Re: Are Nigerian 'Graduates' Really Graduates? by chiogo(f): 1:44am On Feb 28, 2008
Teehehehehe, this topic is funny!!
Re: Are Nigerian 'Graduates' Really Graduates? by MrPIPE: 11:12am On Aug 05, 2008
Guys I need a help. I want to do MSc in Pipeline engineering from UK, but I am confused whether to go to Cranfield University or Newcastle University; which one is better in terms of job prospect?

I also want to know whether it is possible to earn enough there to be able to pay for the Tuition fee and Living expense. In Cranfield Tuition fee is 16000 us dollars and living expense is about 6000 us dollars so the the total is 22000 us dollars. I can't pay all this huge money. Similarly in Newcastle the total cost is about 20000 us dollars per year. That is also big sum.
I may be able to take from my home maximum upto 10000 us dollars. Is that enough to study in Cranfield or in Newcastle?

Somebody who studied in Cranfield or Newcastle, please help me by replying; I would be grateful.
Re: Are Nigerian 'Graduates' Really Graduates? by tijannydot(m): 4:23pm On Aug 05, 2008
In all honesty, i think most Nigerian graduates are trying. While we have some grads that can not say one or two things about their course of study, some take pain to read, do assignments, go for lectures and even do presentations despite the hostile/ unfriendly environments. No foreign student can go through our system of learning here and survive! not to talk of making a third class.
I think we are actually utilizing the best being impacted on us by our lecturers. It is a known fact that you cant teach what you dont know.
So it is the little that our lecturers know cum their exposure to the outside world (if any) that they will deliver. Biologically, when energy moves from one level to another in an energy pyramid, certain percentage of it is trapped, in the same vein, it is not all they (the lecturers) know that we the students assimilate from them, hence we go to the library to read an edition that is 3-4 times behind the latest edition. Yet some of us still make do of what we have learnt.
I strongly think that if we are in a stable, conducive and comfortable learning environment, the so called British or American students can not stand our brains.
We learn in a hard way here. Imagine 600 students in a class, what do you expect?
Despite the fact that some of us did not have the opportunity of attending any private institution at all we still make something good out of the public schools we attended.
So asking that '' are Nigerian graduates really graduates'' i think it is subjective.

Regards.
Re: Are Nigerian 'Graduates' Really Graduates? by bahami: 6:03pm On Aug 05, 2008
my dear i be graduate o!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!sch no easy, book wok hard. no blame sum pple 4 dia disgrace. d tin b say sum of our universities na pry sch standard odas manage b sec sch standard. wetin u expect? i no blame sum employers wey dem dey specify ''A WELL RECOGNISED SCHOOL''

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Chartered Accountancy? How Lucrative Is It? / Insecurty: Call To Bar Moved From Law School / Finding A Place For Industrial Attachment: Requests, Placements & Volunteering

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.