Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,638 members, 7,813,116 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:20 AM

The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) - Travel (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) (119754 Views)

The Humans Of Ogun State (street Photography) / 5 People You Will Find On Any Lagos Street / Monday Morning Inspiration From The Humans Of Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (31) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by TochiPhotos(m): 7:37pm On Jan 17, 2015
"People think we don't do our job, they think we only know how to say there is no water. I used to think like that till I joined the fire service a year ago, we've put out lots of fires and saved many lives. Last week, we went to put out a fire in Bariga, we saved the man and his family and it feels really good to be able to help, I finally feel like my life has meaning" #HumansOfLagos

36 Likes 5 Shares

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by TochiPhotos(m): 7:38pm On Jan 17, 2015
"Do you know my song? It's popular in the bars I play at night, let me play it for you. Do you know that ikpuche ijaye track Flavor released that time? Its mine but I gave it to him for free. I will release an album soon I already have 6 tracks it remains small" #HumansOfLagos

14 Likes

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by Nobody: 8:41pm On Jan 17, 2015
These guys are so inspiring

1 Like

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by Nobody: 10:13pm On Jan 17, 2015
TochiPhotos:
"After school, I help my mum sell oranges. I like going to the field cos I sell a lot there and also watch them play football, sometimes I wish I can play with the other children but I can't leave my market to play. When I grow up I want to be a billionaire so my mum won't sell oranges again." #humansoflagos

omG! I feel like shedding tears.

I feel his pain.
God bless your struggle kid

sad
PS:op consider including names

2 Likes

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by akashi01(m): 10:22pm On Jan 17, 2015
OP hope you have their contacts? someone might be generous enough to help them

#JustSaying

1 Like

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by akashi01(m): 10:26pm On Jan 17, 2015
TochiPhotos:
"Do you know my song? It's popular in the bars I play at night, let me play it for you. Do you know that ikpuche ijaye track Flavor released that time? Its mine but I gave it to him for free. I will release an album soon I already have 6 tracks it remains small" #HumansOfLagos
yet flavour didn't give this guy his due credits.....Nigerian musicians sha

1 Like

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by Originalsly: 2:34am On Jan 18, 2015
akashi01:
OP hope you have their contacts? someone might be generous enough to help them

#JustSaying
@OP...this is a good idea....keep at least 2 contact info on each person.
Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by GodsClan(m): 3:18am On Jan 18, 2015
Love this. Is there any way i can be part of this, or be a volunteer?

1 Like

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by TochiPhotos(m): 2:24pm On Jan 18, 2015
"I didn't even know big(rich) men use this kind of sponge till I started selling it, even those that have range rover they buy it too and they always buy plenty like 7 and they are good, they always tell me to keep the change. All the area boys here like me, I give them sponge for free and they respect and protect me." #HumansOfLagos

28 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by TochiPhotos(m): 2:24pm On Jan 18, 2015
"I'm from Adamawa, Boko haram attacked our town and I was lucky to escape. I came to Lagos with only my mosquito net and no money. One day I was walking round Ajah market and saw one of my friends that we grew up in Mubi, he was selling mosquito net he was happy to see me and took me to his house and the following day he gave me his market and I sold everything and I realized the business was good so he taught me everything about the business. I raised my capital by cutting the mosquito net I came with and sold it, mosquito net is foreign and better than the local net we buy here. That's how I started my sponge business and I've done it for 4 months now and I'm doing well." #HumansOfLagos

30 Likes 7 Shares

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by latissimusDorsi: 5:20pm On Jan 18, 2015
TochiPhotos:
"I'm from Adamawa, Boko haram attacked our town and I was lucky to escape. I came to Lagos with only my mosquito net and no money. One day I was walking round Ajah market and saw one of my friends that we grew up in Mubi, he was selling mosquito net he was happy to see me and took me to his house and the following day he gave me his market and I sold everything and I realized the business was good so he taught me everything about the business. I raised my capital by cutting the mosquito net I came with and sold it, mosquito net is foreign and better than the local net we buy here. That's how I started my sponge business and I've done it for 4 months now and I'm doing well." #HumansOfLagos
nobody have an excuse for being idle!

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by UjSizzle(f): 5:46pm On Jan 18, 2015
Hah! So we've been showering with local mosquito nets all along undecided

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by TochiPhotos(m): 5:57pm On Jan 18, 2015
UjSizzle:
Hah! So we've been showering with local mosquito nets all along undecided

Lol I was surprised too but he said mosquito nets are the original ones and last longer but there is a local one that is common that's the one they mostly buy cos its cheaper.

1 Like

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by UjSizzle(f): 6:08pm On Jan 18, 2015
Tochiphotos,

How do you get these people to talk to you about their lives?

And maybe you should consider contacting Brandon (HONY) so you two can partner. This could become some major international ish ya know, and partnership makes that happen faster.
**Just a suggestion smiley

Good job. And I'm still tripping for that camera biko (what's the cost?)

8 Likes

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by TochiPhotos(m): 9:51pm On Jan 18, 2015
UjSizzle:
Tochiphotos,

How do you get these people to talk to you about their lives?

And maybe you should consider contacting Brandon (HONY) so you two can partner. This could become some major international ish ya know, and partnership makes that happen faster.
**Just a suggestion smiley

Good job. And I'm still tripping for that camera biko (what's the cost?)
I just walk up to them, tell them about the humans of Lagos and what it's all about if I get lucky, I'll get the chance to discuss with the person and I usually start from something that is not personal and as the person gets comfortable enough, they start opening up and I've come to realize most people are always willing to talk just that no one cares enough to ask them.
That aside, it hasn't been an easy ride to be honest, I've had so many challenges, from been nervous to approach people to getting shut down by people I approach some rude and some wouldn't even care to let me finish explaining to them at some point I've felt like abandoning it, The first day was the most challenging. That morning I walked over 18KM without getting a single person to talk to, I walked hopelessly from Orile to Bode Thomas to Ojuelegba then Yaba and finally Akoka, I was afraid to approach people and when I did my nervousness would show and I think that made them uncomfortable too. I was dejected and had made up my mind to give up and was going to get soft drinks and start going home when I met the first person I talked to, Mr C. along Unilag faculty of SS, I said hi, introduced myself and told him about the project and he agreed and we got talking and before I knew it, I had spent more than 20 mins talking to this stranger who I just met and believe me anyone who saw us would think we've known each other for years, we were just talking about random things, football etc and one thing led to another and we got into personal things and he told me about how his Aunty had brought him to Lagos and put him on the street instead of sending him to uni as she promised his parents etc I spent more than 30 mins with him and that was my first post. Talking to him made me forget all the past rejections made me believe I could actually do it and motivated me to continue I think that was the turning point. I still get nervous but I've come to understand that not everyone will say yes or willing to let a stranger into their personal life and I've come to make peace with that so when people tell me no I don't let it weigh me down I just think about the amazing people that have said yes and the people they've motivated and that keeps me going.
Yesterday I met one of the most interesting people I've been blessed to talk to in this project, Ahmed the sponge seller, I met Ahmed sitting on bench facing the lagoon in cms and I walked up to him and told him about the project, and he agreed to talk to me What got my attention was how he was knitting the sponge, I always thought they bought it like that so that was how we started our talk and he told how he had escaped boko haram, at a point he was close to tears, telling me about his friends that might have been killed he kept praising God for saving him and blessing him with this new life, it was an emotional encounter. He told me about his plans for the future and how he plans to expand his business, he really loves the business. The hour I spent talking to Ahmed has been one of the best things that has happened to me, it was so inspiring. Sometimes when I feel like giving up, I think about Ahmed's story and the rest of them and realize there are many more people out there with stories that will inspire thousands and that's what keeps me going. So Uj, that's how I get them to talk to me about their lives, you see? you asked me a "simple questions and see what it has led to, that's basically how it happens outside there, most of those people I talked to, I think that's the first time someone has taken time to ask them something like that just as you've been the first person to take time and ask how I get the stories. People are willing to share but no one cares enough to ask or listen Thanks Uj, I'm really glad you asked. About the Camera its a mid-range(prosumer) camera you could get body only around 60k I guess but it jumps to 6 figures with the lens. Please do follow on instagram http://instagram.com/thehumansoflagos and facebook https://www.facebook.com/humansoflagosng tag your friends and repost and help us build this community biko and also tag your Nl buddies who might find this thread interesting and if you or anyone have ideas on how to improves and make this project better please send an email to thehumansoflagos@gmail.com or pm here.... thanks and do have a great week.

60 Likes 11 Shares

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by UjSizzle(f): 10:27pm On Jan 18, 2015
Tochiphotos

Thanks for sharing. It's always nice to know the story behind the stories smiley
I admire your resilience. It's not hard to imagine how many people may have turned down your offer to be a listening ear lol and this helps to buttress a point i've been trying to make forever: People want to talk. Just provide an enabling environment, a blank space of sorts and see them fill up the spaces.

You're doing something good here smiley

5 Likes

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by shevon: 1:14pm On Jan 19, 2015
TochiPhotos:

I just walk up to them, tell them about the humans of Lagos and what it's all about if I get lucky, I'll get the chance to discuss with the person and I usually start from something that is not personal and as the person gets comfortable enough, they start opening up and I've come to realize most people are always willing to talk just that no one cares enough to ask them.
That aside, it hasn't been an easy ride to be honest, I've had so many challenges, from been nervous to approach people to getting shut down by people I approach some rude and some wouldn't even care to let me finish explaining to them at some point I've felt like abandoning it, The first day was the most challenging. That morning I walked over 18KM without getting a single person to talk to, I walked hopelessly from Orile to Bode Thomas to Ojuelegba then Yaba and finally Akoka, I was afraid to approach people and when I did my nervousness would show and I think that made them uncomfortable too. I was dejected and had made up my mind to give up and was going to get soft drinks and start going home when I met the first person I talked to, Mr C. along Unilag faculty of SS, I said hi, introduced myself and told him about the project and he agreed and we got talking and before I knew it, I had spent more than 20 mins talking to this stranger who I just met and believe me anyone who saw us would think we've known each other for years, we were just talking about random things, football etc and one thing led to another and we got into personal things and he told me about how his Aunty had brought him to Lagos and put him on the street instead of sending him to uni as she promised his parents etc I spent more than 30 mins with him and that was my first post. Talking to him made me forget all the past rejections made me believe I could actually do it and motivated me to continue I think that was the turning point. I still get nervous but I've come to understand that not everyone will say yes or willing to let a stranger into their personal life and I've come to make peace with that so when people tell me no I don't let it weigh me down I just think about the amazing people that have said yes and the people they've motivated and that keeps me going.
Yesterday I met one of the most interesting people I've been blessed to talk to in this project, Ahmed the sponge seller, I met Ahmed sitting on bench facing the lagoon in cms and I walked up to him and told him about the project, and he agreed to talk to me What got my attention was how he was knitting the sponge, I always thought they bought it like that so that was how we started our talk and he told how he had escaped boko haram, at a point he was close to tears, telling me about his friends that might have been killed he kept praising God for saving him and blessing him with this new life, it was an emotional encounter. He told me about his plans for the future and how he plans to expand his business, he really loves the business. The hour I spent talking to Ahmed has been one of the best things that has happened to me, it was so inspiring. Sometimes when I feel like giving up, I think about Ahmed's story and the rest of them and realize there are many more people out there with stories that will inspire thousands and that's what keeps me going. So Uj, that's how I get them to talk to me about their lives, you see? you asked me a "simple questions and see what it has led to, that's basically how it happens outside there, most of those people I talked to, I think that's the first time someone has taken time to ask them something like that just as you've been the first person to take time and ask how I get the stories. People are willing to share but no one cares enough to ask or listen Thanks Uj, I'm really glad you asked. About the Camera its a mid-range(prosumer) camera you could get body only around 60k I guess but it jumps to 6 figures with the lens. Please do follow on instagram http://instagram.com/thehumansoflagos and facebook https://www.facebook.com/humansoflagosng tag your friends and repost and help us build this community biko and also tag your Nl buddies who might find this thread interesting and if you or anyone have ideas on how to improves and make this project better please send an email to thehumansoflagos@gmail.com or pm here.... thanks and do have a great week.
My dear, people are afraid to stop and talk to strangers in Lagos for so many reasons. I grew up in Lagos and the impression the 'Streets' gave to me is that if you talk to a stranger, there is every possibility you might loose something (from your senses, to you private part to your life)
I feel your pain of rejection, especially when your intentions are pure. The fact still remains that it is Lagos, everybody is trying to be careful.
For you to have had the opportunity to talk to this much people, I envy you and salute your courage for this project.
Every time I get depressed, I always go to your page to read some of the stories, it never fails to give me hope that there is still hope for a better tomorrow in this country.
Keep it up.

3 Likes

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by TochiPhotos(m): 4:44pm On Jan 19, 2015
"Uncle let's show you our pose" #HumansOfLagos #LittleHumans

16 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by TochiPhotos(m): 4:44pm On Jan 19, 2015
"I'm 9 and she is 7, we are best friends, people think we are sisters. We are always together, I play tennis better than her and I beat her all the time. 7 year old cuts in, its lie, I beat her sometimes too" #HumansOfLagos #LittleHumans

38 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by TochiPhotos(m): 4:46pm On Jan 19, 2015
"I know Serena Williams she played in that other court one time, my daddy took me to the game and I watched her play. She is big(gestures) I want to be like her when I grow up"

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by RealJay10: 5:01pm On Jan 19, 2015
So Touching smiley
Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by Wealthyone: 9:35pm On Jan 19, 2015
shevon:

My dear, people are afraid to stop and talk to strangers in Lagos for so many reasons. I grew up in Lagos and the impression the 'Streets' gave to me is that if you talk to a stranger, there is every possibility you might loose something (from your senses, to you private part to your life) .

@ bolded grin grin cheesy

4 Likes

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by GIYAZZ(m): 9:59pm On Jan 19, 2015
TochiPhotos I Love you. #NoHomo

1 Like

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by millstone(m): 11:36pm On Jan 19, 2015
TochiPhotos:

I really love your work... kudos. I'm trying to organize an exhibition in my University and I blive I just found what I was looking for.... how do I get to you?
Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by lancee(m): 2:21am On Jan 20, 2015
TochiPhotos:

Have linked u up on FB , also tagged friends ..Good job
Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by lancee(m): 2:23am On Jan 20, 2015
Have linked u up on FB , also tagged friends ..Good job
Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by shevon: 5:07am On Jan 20, 2015
Wealthyone:

@ bolded grin grin cheesy
lol...
My parents raised me but the Streets taught me a lot. It is what it is.
Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by Justiceotuya(m): 12:07pm On Jan 20, 2015
do you know Mr C is my mum's step brother? Seriously immediately i saw his pics i knew him. Kai this world is small oh. Please when next your path crosses extend my greetings
TochiPhotos:

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by TochiPhotos(m): 7:58pm On Jan 20, 2015
Justiceotuya:
do you know Mr C is my mum's step brother? Seriously immediately i saw his pics i knew him. Kai this world is small oh. Please when next your path crosses extend my greetings
Wow! that nice. Will do that if I run into him again.
millstone:

I really love your work... kudos. I'm trying to organize an exhibition in my University and I blive I just found what I was looking for.... how do I get to you?
Thanks bro, my personal email address is on my profile or send an email to thehumansoflagos@gmail.com
GIYAZZ:
TochiPhotos I Love you. #NoHomo
No let the 14 years police catch you oo lool thanks bro.
LoveMEBaby:
ohh I know this man, he sells yoghurt in unilag, besides that's unilag surroundings.
Yea... that's him, he is a great guy.
vivaciousvivi:

By far one of the best threads I have opened and read in a long time and certainly the best so far this year.
Pictures do speak a thousand words and when you read the text, and reconnect it to the picture, you do realize that we are all human - with fears,dreams, aspirations, struggles, friendships, insecurities. The rawness of both the picture and the story are just amazing. Well done Tochi!
Thanks a lot.
UjSizzle:
Tochiphotos

Thanks for sharing. It's always nice to know the story behind the stories smiley
I admire your resilience. It's not hard to imagine how many people may have turned down your offer to be a listening ear lol and this helps to buttress a point i've been trying to make forever: People want to talk. Just provide an enabling environment, a blank space of sorts and see them fill up the spaces.

You're doing something good here smiley
That's true... thanks a lot Uj.
Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by TochiPhotos(m): 7:59pm On Jan 20, 2015
"We just won this cup today, he scored the goal and I won the best keeper of the tournament. We are parading our cup in the market and people are giving us money, my mum's shop is here too" #HumansOfLagos

20 Likes 5 Shares

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by TochiPhotos(m): 7:59pm On Jan 20, 2015
"I come here to rest during my break, it's hard tho with the loud noise from cars and everything. Started this work just a few days ago, I was tired of staying at home and I want to support my husband in anyway I can" #HumansOfLagos

28 Likes 8 Shares

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by GIYAZZ(m): 8:13pm On Jan 20, 2015
TochiPhotos:
"We just won this cup today, he scored the goal and I won the best keeper of the tournament. We are parading our cup in the market and people are giving us money, my mum's shop is here too" #HumansOfLagos
Wow, this young dude(The one with the cup) looks like my little brother. cheesy

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (31) (Reply)

Memoirs From Chile / I Just Got A 3-Month Visa To Dubai, I Need Your Suggestions Please!!! / Lions Nap On Road In South Africa During Lockdown (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 129
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.