Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,826 members, 7,813,731 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:10 PM

List Of Ministers: Nigeria Is Doomed? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / List Of Ministers: Nigeria Is Doomed? (15237 Views)

Poll: With this list do you think theres any hope for Nigeria?

Yes: 27% (15 votes)
No: 36% (20 votes)
Maybe: 23% (13 votes)
Cant say: 12% (7 votes)
This poll has ended

List Of Ministers Going To China With Buhari / Ministerial List : See Speculated Portfolios Of Ministers / The Ministers Nigeria Needs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: List Of Ministers: Nigeria Is Doomed? by Dede1(m): 1:13pm On Dec 18, 2008
When delusional freaks joined the politicking in Nigeria, I get hilarious. Dr. Sam Egwu is a reputed physician who has practiced medicine in institutions of renowned world standard. Please can someone explain the derogatory heap of the person of Dr. Sam Egwu? The vita curriculum of the education minister-appoint can not and would not pale in comparison to those who had held position before now.
Re: List Of Ministers: Nigeria Is Doomed? by PurestBoy(m): 1:16pm On Dec 18, 2008
Yara dua, yaradua, yaradua! How many times did I call you? What a game have you been playing with this blessed nation? Same old set of thieves to take over again. Those who could not make any changes before.
Re: List Of Ministers: Nigeria Is Doomed? by debosky(m): 1:21pm On Dec 18, 2008
Dede1:

When delusional freaks joined the politicking in Nigeria, I get hilarious. Dr. Sam Egwu is a reputed physician who has practiced medicine in institutions of renowned world standard. Please can someone explain the derogatory heap of the person of Dr. Sam Egwu? The vita curriculum of the education minister-appoint can not and would not pale in comparison to those who had held position before now.        

Read the following

So that was why I switched on to Channels and saw Sam Egwu at the Senate clearance.

He was being asked how he felt coming before the Senate of the National Assembly, bowing before the president of the Senate and asking to be cleared to be a minister of the Federal Republic.

An exaggerated summary of the discussion went like this. You were governor of Ebonyi State when Pius Anyim was president of the Senate of the National Assembly. The chair before which you have taken a bow is occupied by the president of the Senate, the country’s third most distinguished personage.

That chair was occupied by one of your own, a distinguished senator from Ebonyi State. Anyim Pius Anyim suffered all forms of indignities in your hands. You harassed him so much he discovered that his home which would have been a safe haven had become the hell he had to run away from.

Because of you, he did not ask to come back to the Senate because you ambushed him at home. Even in Abuja, you hounded him from pillar to post and may have influenced the destruction of his house by El Rufai, acting on orders from you-know-who.

Now, before our very eyes, you are bowing in front of a chair whose occupant you did not hesitate to destroy. Can you tell the distinguished members of this hallowed chamber why they should consider you as a fit and proper person to be endorsed to assume office of minister of the Federal Republic?

Sam Egwu may not have expected that type of frontal attack, but he was not to be outdone in countering with an explanation that would persuade the distinguished senators to forgive him his trespasses and save him from the embarrassment of rejection.

He may have heard of the story of a nominee for office of minister in the 80s who was asked to recite the second stanza of the national anthem and was so embarrassed he forgot which was the correct anthem, the one that says tribe and tongue may differ but in brotherhood we stand; or that which calls on all compatriots to arise and obey the call of Nigeria. He produced a smile that may not have emerged from his heart but was meant to put the lie to the claim that he ever had anything against Pius Anyim.

He said Anyim was his brother. That is not that they had the same father and mother or that they came from the same village or senatorial district. But that they were quite close. They shared the same dreams, being in the same party, the Peoples Democratic Party.

They attended the same church and even when there was some little misunderstanding, their mutual friends sat both of them down and they shook hands and shared kola nuts and palm wine.

You may have seen some drama in the way I have told you what happened at the Senate, and you may have identified some touch of humour and light-mindedness in the telling.

Which, to you, ought to have improved my appetite! But what followed was what killed my taste for food. Sam Egwu was telling the Senate of the National Assembly, the highest law-making body in the land, that there was what they called the Ebonyi formula which ensured that they won all the seats in Ebonyi State for the PDP.

He said he orchestrated the scheme. He said he handed electoral materials to the senators and left them to moderate the elections in their electoral districts so that they could choose who they wanted to win elections from those districts!

He said he did that for Pius Anyim as he did for other senators. If he had had any serious problems with Pius Anyim, he would not have handed the electoral materials for his senatorial district to him.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/content/view/23524/72/

I leave you to judge - this was on National Television. sad
Re: List Of Ministers: Nigeria Is Doomed? by SkyBlue1: 1:40pm On Dec 18, 2008
@debosky, what i find most infuriating about the article you referenced was not what you highlighted, No. What i found most irritating about the article was how the choosing of a minister was not based on his/her competence but was based on "who fought who in the past". HOW DISGUSTING? The arrogance of PDP never ceases to amaze me. Must everything happening in the country revolve around the infights of the PDP and their different squables? Yar Adua - result of PDP infighting and party struggle. Etteh Gate Imposition, Ibori, etc. WOW. It is really irritating when people loose focus of the issues and make it about something that it shouldn't be about. So we are basically being told that the criteria for being a minister is not having any fights with anyone in the PDP. I am not saying Sam Egwu deserves ministerial position, it is bigger than that. How on earth could the selection of a minister degenerate into personal squabbles? Nigerian offices hold no respect whatsoever. Is the future of Nigeria going to forever depend on the tantrums and moods of the PDP and some select individuals? WOW. When PDP sneezes the whole country goes up in flames. It ought not to be so.
Re: List Of Ministers: Nigeria Is Doomed? by debosky(m): 1:45pm On Dec 18, 2008
@ Skyblue

I don't think that was really the criteria - the question was more along the lines of 'you disrespected the head of the senate all through his tenure because of your local battles over Ebonyi - will you have the same disrespect if you are made a minister'?

Squabbles will always generate losers and winners, but the sad thing is that once you help rig PDP into power, you are accepted.
Re: List Of Ministers: Nigeria Is Doomed? by otukpo(f): 2:19pm On Dec 18, 2008
NIGERIA IS NOT DOOMED.
THERE IS HOPE
LET'S ALL STOP BEING NEGATIVE.

WE MAY HAVE PREFERED DORA IN HEALTH, BUT SHE STILL DESERVES A CHANCE AND OUR SUPPORT IN THE INFO/COMM. MINISTRY. WE JUST HAVE TO BE PRAYING FOR HER COS SHE DOES NOT DESERVE TO BE STAINED.

THE NAMES THAT STILL MAKE ME WANT TO CRY ARE SAM EGWU AND ACHIKE UDENWA (STILL ON THE WAY). THEY ACHIEVED NOTHING AS GOVERNORS IN THEIR STATES AND I WONDER WHAT THEY WILL DO AS MINISTERS.

MAY GOD HELP US, AND DELIVER NIGERIA FROM THE HANDS OF THESE OLD RECYCLED POLITICIANS.
Re: List Of Ministers: Nigeria Is Doomed? by hollandis(f): 2:39pm On Dec 18, 2008
Sam Egwu?
What sort of incompetent president is this?
The antecedents of our past education ministers should have given this demented cow called a president a clue as to the importance of the education sector.
After ezeweseli and obayi paved the way for a destruction of unity schools,privitisation of education et al,Egwu has been brought in to finalise their mission and put a final nail to the coffin
Nigeria can never progress.
Thats final
Re: List Of Ministers: Nigeria Is Doomed? by hollandis(f): 2:41pm On Dec 18, 2008
otukpo:

NIGERIA IS NOT DOOMED.
THERE IS HOPE
LET'S ALL STOP BEING NEGATIVE.

I think that already has been settled
Nigeria is doomed
Re: List Of Ministers: Nigeria Is Doomed? by vikiviko(m): 2:50pm On Dec 18, 2008
Dora's ministerial appointment is good but for a woman who have creditably manged the affairs of NAFDAC above board, i think the office and postion of Nafdac in the Nigeria of today is more important to Ministry of information and communication.

She has fought so many wars with fake drug barons, now that she's moved to another office, i sincerely hope the new comere will perform as Dora.

Congratulations Madam NAFDAC
Re: List Of Ministers: Nigeria Is Doomed? by Ilelobola: 3:03pm On Dec 18, 2008
Can't think how Madam Dora will not be tainted. I'd think as Information minister, she'll have to speak for the government i.e. control what gets to the public except of course it means she's in charge of all forms of communication e.g. TV, radio, newspapers etc. If it is the former, she has to "speak" what the government wants us to here eh?

And with Rilwanu Lukman, who I seem to remember the name from when I was in primary school studying Social Studies or so, look on the good side, at least people my age will be able to help their children with school work. Still the same old people.

God deliver us.
Re: List Of Ministers: Nigeria Is Doomed? by JJay1(m): 3:17pm On Dec 18, 2008
Mind u, Dora is not more qualified Prof Osotimehin as the Health Minister. Prof Osotimehin has been a world class professor of medicine before Dora finished University and he is world acclaimed. He was the Provost of UCH and since he left there, UCH has not been rated as one of the finest teaching hospitals in the worl is it used to be. Prof Osotimehin is in the league of Olikoye Ransome-Kuti, not Akuyili, the gap is damn too wide

The appointment of Osotimehin is probably the rightest peg in the rightest hole.

As for others I really don't understand the rammifications but don't forget they are politicians and they can occupy any portfolio as this is also the practise in the UK as well. Alistair Darling was minister of transport under Blair and now the Chancelleor of the Exchequer, David Blunkett was headed 3 ministries etc
Re: List Of Ministers: Nigeria Is Doomed? by Jerie(m): 3:33pm On Dec 18, 2008
THE LIST LOOKS LIKE THE CAST OF A COMEDY.
NIGERIA WE HAIL THEE!
Re: List Of Ministers: Nigeria Is Doomed? by netotse(m): 3:36pm On Dec 18, 2008
omo being a politician is not just enough to become a minister esp in nigeria where a greater percentage of our politicians are brazenly illiterate(whether they have university degrees or not), they lack the technical skills and moral justification to lead their own households not to talk of entire ministries, enuff sed!
Re: List Of Ministers: Nigeria Is Doomed? by auwal87(m): 3:41pm On Dec 18, 2008
[size=14pt]AUWAL87 --- OIL MINISTER [/size]
grin grin grin grin grin
Re: List Of Ministers: Nigeria Is Doomed? by landis(m): 3:48pm On Dec 18, 2008
Sky Blue:

@debosky, what i find most infuriating about the article you referenced was not what you highlighted, No. What i found most irritating about the article was how the choosing of a minister was not based on his/her competence but was based on "who fought who in the past". HOW DISGUSTING? The arrogance of PDP never ceases to amaze me. Must everything happening in the country revolve around the infights of the PDP and their different squables? Yar Adua - result of PDP infighting and party struggle. Etteh Gate Imposition, Ibori, etc. WOW. It is really irritating when people loose focus of the issues and make it about something that it shouldn't be about. So we are basically being told that the criteria for being a minister is not having any fights with anyone in the PDP. I am not saying Sam Egwu deserves ministerial position, it is bigger than that. How on earth could the selection of a minister degenerate into personal squabbles? Nigerian offices hold no respect whatsoever. Is the future of Nigeria going to forever depend on the tantrums and moods of the PDP and some select individuals? WOW. When PDP sneezes the whole country goes up in flames. It ought not to be so.

too late, When the HEAD is rotten, everything else is rotten.

See the Big Picture. Yaradua is a FRAUD on Nigerians, what do you expect from his people??

Nothing Good can come from a FRAUD. We saw it with Shagari. We saw it with OBJ.

grin cheesy grin
Re: List Of Ministers: Nigeria Is Doomed? by auwal87(m): 3:56pm On Dec 18, 2008
You all talking Sh*t on 'Yardua, if he is mad, then why would the Senate Accepted them?

Then all the Senates are basically useless since they cannot use their precious position to choose the best of the best People to take care of the Ministries, I see no fault of 'Yaradua alone, the Fault to whole Nigerians, they should recall all the reps and senates if they cannot choose the best people for the Nation

By the way, NOBODY congratulate me on my new appointment as OIL Minister!!! grin grin grin
Re: List Of Ministers: Nigeria Is Doomed? by sartorius(m): 3:58pm On Dec 18, 2008
In as much as we can castigate yaradua, the blame i am sorry to say still lies with obj, cos he presented the man using the pdp machinery to foist an underserved leader on us, its a shame. 2009 is going to be tough,contractors are already crying, debt is rising. how come the budget has had 20% implementtion in the last two years. when we expect our leader to inspire us with a speech which could assure investors and the citizens alike he comes out with the an uninspiring list, of what good is dora as info minister, why do we need 37 ministries when we know we cant balance the budget, why why am i a nigerian? when would we get a leader in this country?
Re: List Of Ministers: Nigeria Is Doomed? by francisj(m): 4:05pm On Dec 18, 2008
NA wa ooooooooooooooooooooooooooohh 4 nigeria with htese can of people in goverment, the same old story
?
Re: List Of Ministers: Nigeria Is Doomed? by 4stateman: 4:27pm On Dec 18, 2008
where are the technocrats ? Where are men of vision? Where are the men of 21st ideas in the list of new ministers? Why are Nigerian so unfortunate to always have square peck in a round hole? When are we to wake up and face reality of buiding a nation? Welcome on board, come, see,load your pockets, and go, afterall oil money is there to squandered about.But remember posperity
Re: List Of Ministers: Nigeria Is Doomed? by ritapearl(f): 4:57pm On Dec 18, 2008
Short of words! Let's give them time and see how they perform.
Re: List Of Ministers: Nigeria Is Doomed? by Muza(m): 5:04pm On Dec 18, 2008
ritapearl:

Short of words! Let's give them time and see how they perform.

time?
Did i hear u right?
Re: List Of Ministers: Nigeria Is Doomed? by pentiumix1: 5:39pm On Dec 18, 2008
shocked OMG! I think I'm in panic mode.Its official umar needs not just a kidney, but a brain to go along with it. and what the hell is remi babalola still doing on that list.
Re: List Of Ministers: Nigeria Is Doomed? by gentlegg(m): 5:46pm On Dec 18, 2008
Even Ojo Maduekwe. A dilapitated, worn-out, wishy-washy, moronised old layer.

There is almost no hope for Nigeria yet.

OBJ wey dey Kamkpe couldn't perform, is it a half-alive man that will perform? Am not much surprise.
Re: List Of Ministers: Nigeria Is Doomed? by pentiumix1: 5:47pm On Dec 18, 2008
lets all pray for Nigeria,its about to be a bumpy ride in 2009
Re: List Of Ministers: Nigeria Is Doomed? by RachaelOl(f): 5:59pm On Dec 18, 2008
, He is no longer suffering from a kidney ailment but brain tumor might actually be disagonsed in subsequent times.What is he thinking?

Ojo Maduekwe,Achike Udenwa, a full blown rogue for the position of a minister?chei, dats preposterous,

Still cant believe my ears,
Re: List Of Ministers: Nigeria Is Doomed? by RachaelOl(f): 6:01pm On Dec 18, 2008
So in essence BABA now has all his men and boys back within the radar, there is more to these than it seems , lets

keep our fingers crossed.
Re: List Of Ministers: Nigeria Is Doomed? by joskab: 6:34pm On Dec 18, 2008
Infact, this our incomplete metamophorsis President, sorry am mean a single kidney man need to be taken to Aro or Yaba left side,a bi the this problem of this kidney that he has is affecting his psychological effect on him,becos am pity for our future concerning the fake drug again,the future of Education sector in Nigeria,how we are going to suffer for fuel again, the true fulfilment of Niger Delta development and the total black out in Nigeria for next 3 year but,only God can deliver us from all this evil and wicked soul.Anyway, their past performances will judge them.But whoever tha know how to talk wt Yar`Adua make they advice him to resign now or else-------.Se bi den say,the name always walk after person,Yar`Adua mean do it fast ,i dont know why he is doing sloggish on decision making,may be he want me to come and overthrow him.
Re: List Of Ministers: Nigeria Is Doomed? by sharpman1(m): 6:42pm On Dec 18, 2008
OBJ's greatest sin against Nigeria and Nigerians is his imposition of this incompetent Govt.

I am waiting to see how Dora will not become another Ofonagoro.

2009 really seems like trouble. May God help us. cry
Re: List Of Ministers: Nigeria Is Doomed? by GettysBurg: 7:52pm On Dec 18, 2008
@hollandis,

how can you contemplate that Ezekwesili was out to destroy Education in Nigeria? Smacks of GROSS IGNORANCE!

She was the first and only person to Identify the real problems with the sector.

Imagine a situation where 80% of the entire ministry's budget goes for recurrent expenditure! Put in perspective, even when allocations have been increased over the years, we only end up increasing Techers' and Lecturers' salaries and bonuses.

The Question is ? :

For whom is the Education sector meant? Grooming tomorrow's leaders OR Feeding a generation that ate The budgets of Yesteryears?

She identified this ANOMALYand corrected it.  It took a radical shift in Paradigm.

What about the Adopt a School approach, where Oando adopted 250 secondary schools nationwide? This was novel, and imagine a multibillion naira company adopting a school! Upgrading the labs, retraining the teachers, giving scholarships to good students, etc!  And imagine the Public image SWELL of such a company! And the attendant copycatism and Competition in Coporate Nigeria! The banks, Telecoms, Oil Majors, and other coporate giants would begin to say, "Whose School is the Greatest?"

All this to the benefit of our Children and future leaders!

Have you seen the federal govt colleges lately? And you like them as they are? And you say that Ezekwesili wanted to kill Education?  I'M SORRY ABOUT YOUR OPINION!
Re: List Of Ministers: Nigeria Is Doomed? by Chidoski(m): 8:19pm On Dec 18, 2008
Rilwan Lukman for the 4th time,

Sam Egwu for Education,

Dora Akunyili for Information and communication,

Another failed project.God save us.
Re: List Of Ministers: Nigeria Is Doomed? by DoubleN(m): 9:52pm On Dec 18, 2008
Country don fall inside well.
Re: List Of Ministers: Nigeria Is Doomed? by kosovo(m): 10:05pm On Dec 18, 2008
With these kind of people what hope do we hav for Nigeria,
The president was so "Wise" to put the only qualified candidate (Dora) in a wrong ministry.
it further clarifies my assertion that the president is dull, dumb and foolish and will lead the country in a  wrong direction.
NIGERIA>DOOM!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Gej Nailed Finally- Okah Spills The Bin! / APC Reacts After PDP Lawyers Led Thugs To Disrupt Court Proceedings. Photos / Aida Nath Ogwuche Triumphs At The Supreme Court

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.