Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,755 members, 7,824,167 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:03 AM

You Don't Look Like A Muslim" For God Sake How Should A Muslim Look Like ? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / You Don't Look Like A Muslim" For God Sake How Should A Muslim Look Like ? (2249 Views)

A Muslim Guy Rejected The New N100 Note / Why Do Christian's Blame Islam/muslim's For The Emergence Of Boko Haram / Don't Look For Deliverance - Pastor Chris (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

You Don't Look Like A Muslim" For God Sake How Should A Muslim Look Like ? by diyobdw(f): 3:03pm On Aug 16, 2006
You don't look like a muslim" for God sake how should a muslim look like ?
(quoting wholex-https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-20477.0.html)

This sounds fun but for real i get such questions a lot too! i also get:
You don't act like a muslim undecided
Are you muslim? shocked
Why are you a muslim! you a too cool/great to be one shocked
Am sure you will become a chirstian because you are not like them! angry

My question:
Do you also get sure comments and what are your responce?
How do you help in portraying Islam or muslims positively?

"I am the soul that lives within"-India arie
Re: You Don't Look Like A Muslim" For God Sake How Should A Muslim Look Like ? by iice(f): 3:31pm On Aug 16, 2006
Hmmmm am not a muslim but i get the 'Are you muslim?' or 'You look like a muslim'. . .Funny, i just smile and go on my way grin
Re: You Don't Look Like A Muslim" For God Sake How Should A Muslim Look Like ? by ayinla2005: 4:12pm On Aug 16, 2006
dont mind them.this is just an attempt to belittle your religion and make your religion inferior.too bad
Re: You Don't Look Like A Muslim" For God Sake How Should A Muslim Look Like ? by diyobdw(f): 5:02pm On Aug 16, 2006
@iice i am glad am not alone nice siggy u got there lol

@ayinla2005 i feel you.

i usually work on that to proof they wrong
I mean me is more of me than my religion and that is the base
Re: You Don't Look Like A Muslim" For God Sake How Should A Muslim Look Like ? by iice(f): 5:18pm On Aug 16, 2006
diyobdw, yea thanks lol
Re: You Don't Look Like A Muslim" For God Sake How Should A Muslim Look Like ? by mukina2: 11:27pm On Aug 16, 2006
diyo when i first saw this thread i couldnt stop laffing, some people ask me this question almost all the time.
i sometimes wonder how they want me to look like undecided
Re: You Don't Look Like A Muslim" For God Sake How Should A Muslim Look Like ? by Idekeson(m): 2:07am On Aug 17, 2006
Maybe because you're cute and prefer not to cover your self head to toe under 90 degrees temperature.
Re: You Don't Look Like A Muslim" For God Sake How Should A Muslim Look Like ? by diyobdw(f): 8:17am On Aug 17, 2006
@mukina2

i ponder o!
so what do you do or say?

@Idekeson
Yeah you rit! i might not cover nwith hijab but i watch my dressing and carriage! for the same reasons you know.

But i think the question are more of how you should think ,your success, you social relationship etc

First i hated it but now am loving it lv 2 shock pp!cheesy
Re: You Don't Look Like A Muslim" For God Sake How Should A Muslim Look Like ? by mukina2: 9:38pm On Aug 17, 2006
@idekeson my jungle brother wink

diyo well i just ask them what shud i look like?
shud i put a cardboard on my body ?
Re: You Don't Look Like A Muslim" For God Sake How Should A Muslim Look Like ? by GL(f): 4:02am On Aug 18, 2006
I met a girl in a lesson I attended years ago. We became friends almost immediately and towards the end of the lesson she mentioned during a discussion that she was a muslim. Apparently, she knew I took it for granted that she was a christian. When she saw I was surprised she told me that she knows she doesn't look like a muslim and that she hears that a lot. She looked pleased that she didn't "look like a muslim". When I stopped attending the lesson, I lost contact with her but have always regretted why I never asked her what a muslim looks like.

I've asked that question once myself. I was quite young then and meant it as a compliment. Fortunately the girl I was talking to didn't mind. Rather, she was pleased. She was attending a christian school then so she might have been used to such comments. I think ppl are used to seeing muslims looking drab, wearing grey or green clothes etc. Not loving fun, looking submissive and sober, always saying things like "insha Allah" and all those things muslims say. Nowadays, we have a lot of muslims who dress and behave like the rest of d pop'n.
Re: You Don't Look Like A Muslim" For God Sake How Should A Muslim Look Like ? by hotangel2(f): 5:30am On Aug 18, 2006
Perfect picture of a muslim woman: An hausa moslem woman, or an arabian.
Perfect picture of a muslim man: A guy who has no taste in fashion, won't wear suit, and just look like an arabian or some dude with head-tie on his head.

That's what most people see. And that's what they espect you to like like. Stereotyping is Stupid.
Re: You Don't Look Like A Muslim" For God Sake How Should A Muslim Look Like ? by diyobdw(f): 8:21am On Aug 18, 2006
@GL
I do say the usually muslim greetings/phrase in english to make others understand and not feel offended!
Not because am scared to be tag a muslim but i love people to see the good of ISlam. The girl might not be offended like you said.But it wont mean, she wouldnt prefer that you didnt say that!

Like me, i see it as judg'g the book by its cover and dont just bother.

Though there is an element of truth in it undecided because i could remember even in the early ninties learn'g arabic was primary and school wasnt that encouraged amongst muslims compare to the xtain homes.

Learning arabic and read'g the quran by heart is great but doing what it says is where the task of being a muslim is!

@ hotangel- it sad that a lot of people are like that. It shows the size of thier mind and how far they can go!
Re: You Don't Look Like A Muslim" For God Sake How Should A Muslim Look Like ? by OlaAjia(m): 5:21am On Aug 19, 2006
hot-angel:

Perfect picture of a muslim woman: An hausa moslem woman, or an arabian.
Perfect picture of a muslim man: A guy who has no taste in fashion, won't wear suit, and just look like an arabian or some dude with head-tie on his head.

That's what most people see. And that's what they espect you to like like. Stereotyping is Stupid.
Hmmm,  Perfect picture of Muslim man and Muslim woman? I don't get it Hot-angel undecided. Who is anybody, to define "taste in fashion" to any other? To my own knowledge, I believe that everybody has his own fashion taste, and that should be respected as far as I'm concerned. As a matter of fact, Hot-angel, the suit that you're making so much noise about, was it not the European that brought it to us? If you see them putting a rope (or so called tie) on their neck, you will be fast to proclaim that they have acute sense of fashion, but a man putting on turban has no "taste in fashion". Double standards, It does not make me happy. angry
Re: You Don't Look Like A Muslim" For God Sake How Should A Muslim Look Like ? by OlaAjia(m): 3:53pm On Aug 19, 2006
Muslims, maybe this will be of any help to you.
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-20477.128.html#msg572060
Re: You Don't Look Like A Muslim" For God Sake How Should A Muslim Look Like ? by javalove(m): 7:11pm On Mar 13, 2008
Ohhhh, o ga oooo, pple ask me this questions too but i just reply 'if u follow the rules and regulations of the religion, you cud b better than me, ' and sorry i m a bit new to the Relegion section,,,are we reffered to as the great ones, ?
Re: You Don't Look Like A Muslim" For God Sake How Should A Muslim Look Like ? by Nobody: 11:39pm On Mar 13, 2008
Great ones! Great Ones! we nor go hear word today. This one na new slogan ehn? or is it the slogan that they chant when they burn down our churches
Re: You Don't Look Like A Muslim" For God Sake How Should A Muslim Look Like ? by binladen1: 5:46pm On Mar 16, 2008
@diyobdw
Learning arabic and read'g the the great book by heart is great but doing what it says is where the task of being a a great one is!

that is the most important point. Is'lam is not Arabian or Hausa culture. The Qur'aan guides to all truth but only for those who study it sincerely seeking the truth. There is only one God and all religions are but one religion that have all been corrupted by people (influenced by Satan of course) after the demise of each messenger. the problem is that most so called followers of different religions do not really follow the important teachings of their Holy books. instead, they create additional and mostly conflicting teachings which unfortunately create divisions and confusion. Most Mus'lims, Christians, Jews, Hindus, Buddhists, etc. have forgotten that the central message of all messengers and prophets is "THERE IS ONLY ONE GOD, WORSHIP NO OTHER BESIDE HIM." hating, insulting, stereotyping, judging, etc are the devil's tricks to lead us away from this important fact. God wants us to commemorate, praise, thank, adore, glorify, and serve him all the time. ask yourself how many times u have done these lately.

for all Mus'lims, the best jihaad is to make yourself one who non Mus'lims will like to emulate. How? follow the simple words of Al'lah, Qur'an alone. Do not associate partners with him. Qur'an 39:45.

Peace to those who follow the Guidance

(1) (Reply)

Questions For Anti-tithers(frosbel, Goshen360, Pastor Kun Etc.) / Fake ''truthman2013'' Is Out. / Clearification, Mr Mario Joseph On Islam About Jesus And Prophet Muhammed.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.