Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,074 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:18 AM

The Word 'SOUL' Is Of Which Language Origin Or Root? (your Opinion On This Pls) - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Word 'SOUL' Is Of Which Language Origin Or Root? (your Opinion On This Pls) (2528 Views)

Akwa Ibom Man's Opinion On The Church Building Collapse Gets Him Blasted / If The Soul Is Immaterial How Does It Experience The 'heat' Of Hell ? / Where Your Soul Is Located In Your Body (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Word 'SOUL' Is Of Which Language Origin Or Root? (your Opinion On This Pls) by loveroftruth: 12:04am On Jan 12, 2015
Since the Bible was originally written in Hebrew and then Greek, and the Words ne'phesh and psykhe' were respectively used for both Hebrew and Greek while writing the Bible, i could not help but ask how we came about the word 'Soul' as used today, even in the Bible that has its Originals(prototype) copies in Hebrew and Greek.

So, How did we get here i wish to know.

Is the word 'SOUL' an English language word ? if it is an English language word, how did it come to be a defining word in the Bible considering that the original Bible writers NEVER made use of a word like that(SOUL) in their writings ?

Whichever, if the word Soul is not an English language word, where then did it come from, what origin ? What language is it of ?

Please, i need help here, i hope i have made myself understood, if not, i am open for further clarification on my drift.

Thank you in anticipation of your help.

1 Like

Re: The Word 'SOUL' Is Of Which Language Origin Or Root? (your Opinion On This Pls) by loveroftruth: 10:26am On Jan 12, 2015
Getting the facts on issues, especially religious issues can never be over emphasised, hence, my curiosity.

I definitely desire your beautiful input.

If in the reality you are also confounded on this, feel free to express your view points.
Re: The Word 'SOUL' Is Of Which Language Origin Or Root? (your Opinion On This Pls) by truthislight: 8:04am On Jan 15, 2015
loveroftruth:
Getting the facts on issues, especially religious issues can never be over emphasised, hence, my curiosity.

I definitely desire your beautiful input.

If in the reality you are also confounded on this, feel free to express your view points.

Hmmmm!
Re: The Word 'SOUL' Is Of Which Language Origin Or Root? (your Opinion On This Pls) by PastorAIO: 9:09pm On Jan 15, 2015
What you are looking for is the etymology of the word. There are many etymology dictionaries online. Check this one out:

soul (n.1)
"A substantial entity believed to be that in each person which lives, feels, thinks and wills" [Century Dictionary], Old English sawol "spiritual and emotional part of a person, animate existence; life, living being," from Proto-Germanic *saiwalo (cognates: Old Saxon seola, Old Norse sala, Old Frisian sele, Middle Dutch siele, Dutch ziel, Old High German seula, German Seele, Gothic saiwala), of uncertain origin.

Sometimes said to mean originally "coming from or belonging to the sea," because that was supposed to be the stopping place of the soul before birth or after death [Barnhart]; if so, it would be from Proto-Germanic *saiwaz (see sea). Klein explains this as "from the lake," as a dwelling-place of souls in ancient northern Europe.

Meaning "spirit of a deceased person" is attested in Old English from 971. As a synonym for "person, individual, human being" (as in every living soul) it dates from early 14c. Soul-searching (n.) is attested from 1871, from the phrase used as a past participle adjective (1610s). Distinguishing soul from spirit is a matter best left to theologians.
http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=soul

And while we are here, could someone explaining the use of the prefix El- or Ol- or Oni- in yoruba. It is usually used to denote ownership. e.g. Nkan oninkan. meaning[b] The thing of the owner of the thing.[/b]

But what do we understand to be the distinction between Eniyan (human being) and Eleniyan (literally the owner of the human being but usually used to refer to a person.

What about Angba for lizard? and Alangba which is also lizard, but really meaning the owner of the lizard.

Or Ogbo, or cat? but cat can also be Ologbo, which actually literally means the Owner of the Cat nature.

Or to go deeper still, What is the difference between Edumare and Eledumare? Are the both not just God? Or does God, Edumare have an owner Eledumare?

Who is the owner of these attributes that is indistinguishable from the attributes themselves?
Re: The Word 'SOUL' Is Of Which Language Origin Or Root? (your Opinion On This Pls) by Nobody: 11:00pm On Jan 15, 2015
loveroftruth:
Since the Bible was originally written in Hebrew and then Greek, and the Words ne'phesh and psykhe' were respectively used for both Hebrew and Greek while writing the Bible, i could not help but ask how we came about the word 'Soul' as used today, even in the Bible that has its Originals(prototype) copies in Hebrew and Greek.

So, How did we get here i wish to know.

Is the word 'SOUL' an English language word ? if it is an English language word, how did it come to be a defining word in the Bible considering that the original Bible writers NEVER made use of a word like that(SOUL) in their writings ?

Whichever, if the word Soul is not an English language word, where then did it come from, what origin ? What language is it of ?

Please, i need help here, i hope i have made myself understood, if not, i am open for further clarification on my drift.

Thank you in anticipation of your help.

If I understand your question, then the answer to it is "translation".

Translator who translated the Greek/Hebrew word thinks "Soul" conveys the meaning of the original word to an English reader. (though its english meanings do not always portray the original language equivalent).

Just the same way God, come, eat, run, pit are not Hebrew nor Greek words, but are used to bring the word to an english reader.

So the word didnt find its way into the autograph, but found its way into translations of the autographs of the bible.
Re: The Word 'SOUL' Is Of Which Language Origin Or Root? (your Opinion On This Pls) by loveroftruth: 9:40am On Jan 16, 2015
PastorAIO:
What you are looking for is the etymology of the word. There are many etymology dictionaries online. Check this one out:

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=soul

Okay, I see.
From the above, it is safe to say that the Word Soul was not used by the bible Original writers since it is said to be an 'Old English word'.

Bearing in mind that this word soul has it's root from English and not Jewish, but the Original bible writers were Jews.
Also bearing in mind the implication of it having it's root in English(made up of Pagan Nations), is it not possible that some of the various connotations ascribed to the Word Soul are also of Pagan root ?
I mean, from the definitions above, it is obvious that it does not pretend to capture the mind and intentions of the Bible writers that made used of completely different words.

If the above is true, will it not make for shrudeness for one to count his step while swallowing the various connotations of such words in terms of bible msg ?

I mean, if the Word Soul carries foreign and strange ideas off what the bible msg is(bearing in mind it is a pagan word and of a pagan root), will it not encourage those using it without this understanding to imbibed strange belief that the bible does not support ?

Well, my 2cent though.

2 Likes

Re: The Word 'SOUL' Is Of Which Language Origin Or Root? (your Opinion On This Pls) by loveroftruth: 9:57am On Jan 16, 2015
JMAN05:

If I understand your question, then the answer to it is "translation".

Translator who translated the Greek/Hebrew word thinks "Soul" conveys the meaning of the original word to an English reader. (though its english meanings do not always portray the original language equivalent).

Just the same way God, come, eat, run, pit are not Hebrew nor Greek words, but are used to bring the word to an english reader.

So the word didnt find its way into the autograph, but found its way into translations of the autographs of the bible.

Well, I don't think it is all words that has connotations which are of Pagan origins.

Words like come, it, go, etc. don't embodied doctrines.

Thank you for your inputs.
Re: The Word 'SOUL' Is Of Which Language Origin Or Root? (your Opinion On This Pls) by truthislight: 10:05am On Jan 16, 2015
loveroftruth:

Okay, I see.
From the above, it is safe to say that the Word Soul was not used by the bible Original writers since it is said to be an 'Old English word'.

Bearing in mind that this word soul has it's root from English and not Jewish, but the Original bible writers were Jews.
Also bearing in mind the implication of it having it's root in English(made up of Pagan Nations), is it not possible that some of the various connotations ascribed to the Word Soul are also of Pagan root ?
I mean, from the definitions above, it is obvious that it does not pretend to capture the mind and intentions of the Bible writers that made used of completely different words.

If the above is true, will it not make for shrudeness for one to count his step while swallowing the various connotations of such words in terms of bible msg ?

I mean, if the Word Soul carries foreign and strange ideas off what the bible msg is(bearing in mind it is a pagan word and of a pagan root), will it not encourage those using it without this understanding to imbibed strange belief that the bible does not support ?

Well, my 2cent though.

Lol. AIO is more of For Paganism this days.

He will complain. lol.
Re: The Word 'SOUL' Is Of Which Language Origin Or Root? (your Opinion On This Pls) by PastorAIO: 7:17pm On Feb 10, 2015
truthislight:

Lol. AIO is more of For Paganism this days.

He will complain. lol.

Please explain yourself. I must first understand what you are saying before I can complain.
Re: The Word 'SOUL' Is Of Which Language Origin Or Root? (your Opinion On This Pls) by truthislight: 11:48pm On Feb 17, 2015
PastorAIO:

Please explain yourself. I must first understand what you are saying before I can complain.

Lol. Ok then, you did not complain. Cool..
Re: The Word 'SOUL' Is Of Which Language Origin Or Root? (your Opinion On This Pls) by loveroftruth: 6:35am On Mar 07, 2015
I have come to observe the use of too many none biblical terms for biblical doctrines, many at times this words are outright pagan words and are not found in the bible Original language.

At the end, to get the understanding of this words people resort to the dictionary meaning that are sure going to be the pagan meaning that owns the word at the first place, and this pagan meaning will then be inputted as though it is and was what the bible writers had in mind when writing the bible.

Most errors we have today 're as a result of this importation.

Philosophers cum theologians (the I too know people) are most often the culprits for this.

Should we close our eyes to this ?

1 Like

Re: The Word 'SOUL' Is Of Which Language Origin Or Root? (your Opinion On This Pls) by Nobody: 8:29pm On Mar 08, 2015
loveroftruth:
I have come to observe the use of too many none biblical terms for biblical doctrines, many at times this words are outright pagan words and are not found in the bible Original language.

At the end, to get the understanding of this words people resort to the dictionary meaning that are sure going to be the pagan meaning that owns the word at the first place, and this pagan meaning will then be inputted as though it is and was what the bible writers had in mind when writing the bible.

Most errors we have today 're as a result of this importation.

Philosophers cum theologians (the I too know people) are most often the culprits for this.

Should we close our eyes to this ?

It is a problem, but it shows that we need to get involved in a deep bible study so as to get the real meaning the bible writers had in mind when penning there message.

There is certainly nothing any of us can do to change this language problem, because the bible writers did not invent there own words. They used what was available at that time, though they often gave those words different meanings in there writeups.

Deep bible study is invaluable.

bible translators at times face a delima when trying to convey a meaning to the target language. Sometimes, there isnt a right word in the target language which correctly conveys the meaning expressed in the bible. It thus becomes essential that all dig deep at times.

1 Like

Re: The Word 'SOUL' Is Of Which Language Origin Or Root? (your Opinion On This Pls) by scosco1: 4:55am On Mar 14, 2015
I think the word Soul might have gotten its root from the greek word SOL which means Sun. The soul is also viewd as the Sun of the body from an . Its mans essence.
Re: The Word 'SOUL' Is Of Which Language Origin Or Root? (your Opinion On This Pls) by loveroftruth: 12:41am On Apr 14, 2015
scosco1:
I think the word Soul might have gotten its root from the greek word SOL which means Sun. The soul is also viewd as the Sun of the body from an . Its mans essence.

Yea, put that into Genesis 2:7 and see the meaning it will give to you.

The above aptly illustrates what I have been saying. That a word and its meaning is borrowed decoreted and wished/used to determine biblical doctrines and what the original meaning was/writers had in mind.

(1) (Reply)

Trinity 101: Hundreds Bible Verses That Proves Trinity As A Dogma It Is. / What Does This Dream Mean? I Saw My Name Engraved On A Plaque And Then Molten... / Pastor Makes Members Masturbate In Church. See His Reason

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.