Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,627 members, 7,813,066 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:14 AM

Help: My Boyfriend's Mother Extorts Money From Me - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Help: My Boyfriend's Mother Extorts Money From Me (5671 Views)

My Boyfriend Said I Should Buy Him Gucci Driver Shoes (screenshots) / My Husband Is My Boyfriend On Facebook, Whatsapp & Bbm And He Does Not Know It / Am I Doing Wrong By Supporting My Boyfriend Financially? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help: My Boyfriend's Mother Extorts Money From Me by busybein: 11:36pm On Dec 18, 2008
KarmaMod:

Rofl. That's how they trap you!

Man, if my friend's grandmother prays for you eh, you'd end up building her a house. sugarcoated tongue women.

don't fall for it anymore o!  grin

are u serious?

if i had such a grand mum as a mum,i swear i would have dismothered her angry what nonsense,even my own mum is forced to accept gifts from her daughter inlaw,all she wants is for them to take care of her sons

this one is not even thinking about her son,but awuf

for real i cant stay in that kind of relationship,wats d joy of marriage if i don't have a good mother inlaw

poster u r in for big trouble,i swear
Re: Help: My Boyfriend's Mother Extorts Money From Me by 4Play(m): 11:39pm On Dec 18, 2008
KarmaMod:

4Play, be quiet jeez.

Yes Ma, let me just deal with a few points though
sunshinemi:
@4playYou actually think i am making this all up.
You think i don't have better things to do with my time at few minutes to midnight than to cook up stories

This is an issue that is giving me serious headache.
If you have nothing serious to contribute on it, please shut up and move to another thread.

It's either you are a fabulist or a pudding head or a combination of both. If you can't be bothered to say no and inform your boyfriend, you are probably not old enough to be in a relationship. Anything else is pointless whining.
Re: Help: My Boyfriend's Mother Extorts Money From Me by Nobody: 11:40pm On Dec 18, 2008
sunshinemi:

Daviddylan

If i tell him and he confronts his mum, what becomes my fate
I could just as well as break up with him
Because i will never ever be confortable going to see his mother again

Depends on the man. I assume he is mature enough to handle this quite well. It shouldnt be about him charging in angrily to blame his mother . . . he needs to nicely but firmly tell her she can't order you around like you're her new bank. At worst he shld stand by you . . . after a while his mom will cool down and come to her senses.

Truth is if you cant handle her now it will only get worse when you get married. Keep that in mind.

1 Like

Re: Help: My Boyfriend's Mother Extorts Money From Me by KarmaMod(f): 11:44pm On Dec 18, 2008
If you can't be bothered to say no and inform your boyfriend,

while I agree with you, you gotta adm,it that it's not that easy as this might end up biting her in the ass

Truth is if you can't handle her now it will only get worse when you get married. Keep that in mind.

This is true  undecided

Gotta nip it in the bud cos really this is before formal stuff. After formal n ko? Hm
Re: Help: My Boyfriend's Mother Extorts Money From Me by 4Play(m): 11:56pm On Dec 18, 2008
KarmaMod:

while I agree with you, you gotta adm,it that it's not that easy as this might end up biting her in the ass

In what way? Spoil her relationship with her prospective mother-in-law or her boyfriend?

Saying no in this situation should come naturally that the very idea that this situation lingers on makes it look like a fabrication.
Re: Help: My Boyfriend's Mother Extorts Money From Me by KarmaMod(f): 11:58pm On Dec 18, 2008
4 Play:

Saying no in this situation should come naturally

You've been in England for WAY too long, 4Play
Re: Help: My Boyfriend's Mother Extorts Money From Me by MadMax1(f): 2:06pm On Dec 19, 2008
In my professional opinion: You're in deep shit.  grin
There's nothing wrong with wanting to reciprocate your partner's generosity to your family with buying gifts for his mum. But the woman seems to have built a business empire around you. And her shamelessness has put you in an awkward postion.
DO NOT TELL YOUR BOYFRIEND. You know the dynamics of relationships. You know men and their mothers. If you two were married then I'd say tell him. But 'exposing' his mother like that, showing her up for what she is,I don't know about that,at this point.  No one wants to be shamed by his family in front of the one he loves. Your man will put a stop to it,sure, but it'll strain things between you and the woman,and your man might resent you for bringing his mother's disgraceful conduct out into the open, where you can both see it.

It's very important that YOU handle this and not your man, especially if your relationship is serious and you might get married. You were nice, and the woman's abused your kindness. Worrying won't help a jot, so quit worrying about it. Distance yourself a little,and don't call her for long intervals. If she has something to say,let her call you. Gradually reduce the recharge cards and gifts you send, until it's zero and you're sending nothing at all. Be unfailingly courteous, but  DO NOT apologise for this, or offer any kind of explanation for the dearth of cards and gifts. Apologies and explanations reinforce the unspoken understanding that the gifts are her due. You've made a mistake.Learn from it.         
Try and see the humour in this. It is a little bit funny. grin

2 Likes

Re: Help: My Boyfriend's Mother Extorts Money From Me by Nobody: 4:09pm On Dec 19, 2008
assuming you aren't the first self sufficeint chick he's dated, he probably already knows. he's known his mum all his life - u think this is the first time she has tried to extort?

considering how blatantly shes going about it, its probably a habit everyone in the family is aware of.

what do you do? now thats where i'm stumped. undecided

1 Like

Re: Help: My Boyfriend's Mother Extorts Money From Me by peclint: 7:44pm On Feb 26, 2013
sunshinemi: I am presently in a relationship that is a little less than a year old. My boyfriend introduced me to his mum a few months back. She seems to like me and i call her often on the phone. My boyfriend and I both work with different oil servicing firms, so we earn good salary. My first visit to his mum, i gave her expensive fabrics and simple jewellery as gifts. This i did out of courtesy because my boyfriend lavishes money and gifts on me, so i felt that i could as well show a little love to his mother. She really appreciated them.

Without the knowledge of my boyfriend, i send recharge cards often to his mum. Minimum i text is 5,000 naira worth. Sometimes, i text more. However, she never calls back to thank me. She sends just a text or sometimes i will call her to confirm if she has gotten it after not hearing back from her.

Things took a frightening dimension some few months back. I called to say hello to her only for her to tell me that she needs money and i should send money to her. I was shocked because i know my boyfriend takes good care of her. What got to me what that she insisted on a particular amount and told me that she ''will pay me back'' when my boyfriend gives her monthly upkeep money. Of course, i told her not to worry. She then made me promise not to tell her son because if he hears, he would be really upset with her. I told her that i will keep sealed lips. lipsrsealed

She has done made the same money request for different sums about three times after this.

The annoying part again is that she still expects me to send credit to her. It is so bad that she sends me texts requesting for recharge cards.

Two days ago, she did this again and i was so upset and i sent her just 1,000 naira worth and i explained to her that i just got back from a vacation abroad and i was a little low on cash and besides i told her i would pay her a visit at her place before the end of the year (i intend taking along with me as gifts to her bags of rice, things i got for her from my trip abroad, money, etc). She did not call or text to confirm she got the credit. When i called her, she said she had gotten it but she did not say a single ''thank you''.

This really hurt me because i have my own expenses and i also have a mother and i cannot imagine my own mum doing what she is doing.

I am really sick and tired of her extorting attitude and i am at a total loss on how to put a stop to it.

For goodness sake, her son is yet to formally propose marriage to me. angry angry

How do i put her in check?

Thanks.

The above sounds like a typical Nigerian Girl, didn't know mothers now do the same.
Simply tell your Bf that you gave the mum so so amount and you normally send her recharge cards, but do this stylishly without Nagging or allowing your Bf read a negative meaning to it towards you.

Then call his mum and chat with her, then tell her you don't know how her son found out you sent her money, that he wasn't happy about it, that you guys almost fought and you will not be doing it again
Re: Help: My Boyfriend's Mother Extorts Money From Me by spoilt(f): 9:49pm On Feb 26, 2013
The moral of the story is dont start what you cant finish.
Re: Help: My Boyfriend's Mother Extorts Money From Me by WAVixen: 9:58pm On Feb 26, 2013
davidylan: 1. you did too much too soon.

2. Time to tell her son, if he finds out on his own he wont be pleased with you.

That is double hatred for her o.
Re: Help: My Boyfriend's Mother Extorts Money From Me by airminem(f): 8:25am On Jan 20, 2021
smiley quote]1. you did too much too soon.

2. Time to tell her son, if he finds out on his own he wont be pleased with you. [/quote]
Re: Help: My Boyfriend's Mother Extorts Money From Me by airminem(f): 8:27am On Jan 20, 2021
Ok
hotstuff06:
Ah girl major mistake, just like Davidlyn said, that was way too much too soon. If you are just dating and she is already demanding, what more she will do when you get married to her son.

Stop digging your self a major hole, I wouls advice you not take the bag of rice to her and cut back on some of the things you got her abroad as well. Stop sending recharge cards too. Girl please this woman is already taking you as a slave, it will seem as though you are the one trying to marry her son by all means by getting on her good side.

1 more thing, you need to call your boyfriend and tell him everything at one, it will be worse if he hears this elsewhere. You are just his girlfriend not his wife.
Re: Help: My Boyfriend's Mother Extorts Money From Me by airminem(f): 8:31am On Jan 20, 2021
Yeap
4Play:

As if women don't have other avenues to do their own bitching?

Let's face it, it's either parents are more irritating when their sons are involved, as opposed to their daughter, or women are more likely to whine about parents. I think it's the latter.  
Re: Help: My Boyfriend's Mother Extorts Money From Me by airminem(f): 8:32am On Jan 20, 2021
4Play:

As if women don't have other avenues to do their own bitching?

Let's face it, it's either parents are more irritating when their sons are involved, as opposed to their daughter, or women are more likely to whine about parents. I think it's the latter.  
Re: Help: My Boyfriend's Mother Extorts Money From Me by airminem(f): 8:36am On Jan 20, 2021
To a point. .
sunshinemi:

Thanks for your contribution.

Thats the point. My boyfriend dares not know about it because he will think that she has embarrassed him and he will be very very very very upset with her.

I know he is crazy about me and i know the level of our relationship. If he hears that she ever asked me for a dime or gave me her bank details, it is going to result in a serious strain in their relationship. i do not want that to happen at all.   sad
Re: Help: My Boyfriend's Mother Extorts Money From Me by frozen70(f): 9:26pm On Jan 20, 2021
sunshinemi:
I am presently in a relationship that is a little less than a year old. My boyfriend introduced me to his mum a few months back. She seems to like me and i call her often on the phone. My boyfriend and I both work with different oil servicing firms, so we earn good salary. My first visit to his mum, i gave her expensive fabrics and simple jewellery as gifts. This i did out of courtesy because my boyfriend lavishes money and gifts on me, so i felt that i could as well show a little love to his mother. She really appreciated them.

Without the knowledge of my boyfriend, i send recharge cards often to his mum. Minimum i text is 5,000 naira worth. Sometimes, i text more. However, she never calls back to thank me. She sends just a text or sometimes i will call her to confirm if she has gotten it after not hearing back from her.

Things took a frightening dimension some few months back. I called to say hello to her only for her to tell me that she needs money and i should send money to her. I was shocked because i know my boyfriend takes good care of her. What got to me what that she insisted on a particular amount and told me that she ''will pay me back'' when my boyfriend gives her monthly upkeep money. Of course, i told her not to worry. She then made me promise not to tell her son because if he hears, he would be really upset with her. I told her that i will keep sealed lips. lipsrsealed

She has done made the same money request for different sums about three times after this.

The annoying part again is that she still expects me to send credit to her. It is so bad that she sends me texts requesting for recharge cards.

Two days ago, she did this again and i was so upset and i sent her just 1,000 naira worth and i explained to her that i just got back from a vacation abroad and i was a little low on cash and besides i told her i would pay her a visit at her place before the end of the year (i intend taking along with me as gifts to her bags of rice, things i got for her from my trip abroad, money, etc). She did not call or text to confirm she got the credit. When i called her, she said she had gotten it but she did not say a single ''thank you''.

This really hurt me because i have my own expenses and i also have a mother and i cannot imagine my own mum doing what she is doing.

I am really sick and tired of her extorting attitude and i am at a total loss on how to put a stop to it.

For goodness sake, her son is yet to formally propose marriage to me. angry angry

How do i put her in check?

Thanks.

You have done enough for her and this year is a time you stop making yourself cheap to her

Her types are ungrateful by nature and have nothing to offer

Reduce call times with her an d if possible limit it to once a month

She is smart, she knows you want her son that's why she is using that to make you her meal tickets

What if tomorrow it doesn't work, will you take back all you gave her

I think you should focus more in the relationship that's what matters to you now so that you can see clearly where the relationship is going to

Don't give her more than 1k recharge card

Don't send any money above 10k she did not give you money to keep for her and don't even do it regularly

When next she calls and demands, tell her your family needs your support and you need time to sort things out

If you don't take charge now you cant do it again after marriage because by then it will be more problematic and people will blame you for being unnecessary to good to her

Start saving if you don't have financial plans
Re: Help: My Boyfriend's Mother Extorts Money From Me by rukyboy(m): 8:04am On Jan 21, 2021
Can't you see the incident happened about 13 years ago

frozen70:

You have done enough for her and this year is a time you stop making yourself cheap to her

Her types are ungrateful by nature and have nothing to offer

Reduce call times with her an d if possible limit it to once a month

She is smart, she knows you want her son that's why she is using that to make you her meal tickets

What if tomorrow it doesn't work, will you take back all you gave her

I think you should focus more in the relationship that's what matters to you now so that you can see clearly where the relationship is going to

Don't give her more than 1k recharge card

Don't send any money above 10k she did not give you money to keep for her and don't even do it regularly

When next she calls and demands, tell her your family needs your support and you need time to sort things out

If you don't take charge now you cant do it again after marriage because by then it will be more problematic and people will blame you for being unnecessary to good to her

Start saving if you don't have financial plans

(1) (2) (Reply)

Am I On The Right Side? / Set-up Of Charity Section / I Will Cheat On My Wife From This Week-help Needed!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.