Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,754 members, 7,813,487 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:56 PM

Do You Want To Get That Job ? 12 Job Tricks To Use. - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Do You Want To Get That Job ? 12 Job Tricks To Use. (674 Views)

Sample Cover Letter That Should Land You That Job / 12 Job Interview Success Strategies For Job Seekers / Just Before You Take That Job, See This (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Do You Want To Get That Job ? 12 Job Tricks To Use. by Kofacts(m): 2:10pm On Jan 14, 2015
It's easy to make a mistake when you are at a job interview. Sometimes you don't even know you're making a mistake. You may be asking yourself what you need to do in a job interview and what you shouldn't do in a job interview in order to be successful. Here are the top ten interview mistakes, blunders, and errors a candidate for employment can make. Spend time to go through these mistakes and learn how to avoid them so that you will be successful in your next job interview.

1. Don't Prepare

Preparing for a job interview is one of the vital things you must do before going for one. It is not enough for you to read through courses related to the job you are applying for, you need to learn more about the company history, locations, and lots more.
Not being able to answer the question "What do you know about this company?" might just end your quest for employment, at least with this employer. Background information including company history, locations, divisions, and a mission statement are available in an "About Us" section on most company websites. Review it ahead of time, then print it out and read it over just before your interview to refresh your memory. This will go a long way to help you in your success.

2. Dress Inappropriately

Do You Really Want to Get That Job? Here are 13 Interview Mistakes You Must Avoid
When you are dressing for a job interview, image really is everything (or most of it). The image you present to a potential employer is the first thing they are going to notice about you - before you even have a chance to say a word or shake a hand.
Dressing inappropriately can work both ways. Most times, our dress code for interview depends on the type of job you are applying for, the company and the scope of your intended job. A suit will be appropriate if you are interviewing for professional position. When interviewing for a summer job at your local theme park or as a lifeguard, for example, dress accordingly in neat and casual attire. In situations where you aren't sure of what to wear, visit the organization and watch employees coming in and out of the office to see what they are wearing.

3. Poor Communication Skills

It's important to communicate well with everyone you meet in your search for employment. It is, however, most important to positively connect with the person who might hire you. Shake hands, make eye contact, exude confidence, engage the person you are speaking with, and you will let the interviewer know that you are an excellent candidate for this position - before you even answer an interview question.

4. Talk Too Much

There is nothing much worse than interviewing someone who goes on and on and on... The interviewer really doesn't need to know your whole life story, he is not interested in that. Focus on the core of your answers and leave out information that is superfluous. Don't add sideline commentary about your life that has nothing to do with why you were invited to the interview. The interviewer is not your pal and they don't care about any information that is not relevant to the hiring process.
All you need to do is to sell yourself well, what do you have to offer the company? Why do you think the company should hire you? Keep your answers succinct, to-the-point and focused and don't ramble - simply answer the question.

5. Answering and Going Silent

Do You Really Want to Get That Job? Here are 13 Interview Mistakes You Must Avoid
When we have in mind that a job interview is like an oral exam, we answer a question and then clam up and wait for the next one. That's citizenship-exam behavior. That's not how humans converse, and you're not going to start an intellectually-stimulating conversation by following the boring, standard script. If you interview in the standard sheepie way, the manager will forget your conversation two minutes after your Behind disappears through the revolving door.

Here are two contrasting answers to the lame interview question "Where do you see yourself in five years?"

MANAGER: Where do you see yourself in five years?

APPLICANT: Here, hopefully, working in Accounts Payable or perhaps in Finance.

Is this manager going to say "Wow! There's a lively thinker!" upon hearing this answer?

Heck, no. Not one neuron is firing in the manager's brain while you're matching the lameness quotient of his lame question with your own lame answer.

Let's try it again:

MANAGER: Where do you see yourself in five years?

APPLICANT: I don't have a timetable, but I'm interested in astrophysics - yes, don't laugh! It's true. I love science, and I don't know exactly where I'll go with it but I read everything I can about quantum mechanics, cosmology and the point where engineering and physics intersect.

MANAGER: Wow -- but you're an Accounts Payable person!

APPLICANT: I worked at my grandpa's hardware store in high school and I learned bookkeeping and then Accounting. I got my BS in Finance because I like fitting the numbers into the rest of the business processes like Purchasing, Sales and forecasting. Somehow I'm going to weave the science in, at some point. Life is long!

You can turn even a brainless interview question like "Where do you see yourself in five years?" into a conversation-starter if you bring a little mojo to the interview.

What is there to be afraid of, after all? The only mistake you can make is to hide behind the script and be forgotten. As long as you stay calm, don't evaluate or censor yourself and listen to your body, you're going to do fine. (From LinkedIn)

6. Don't Talk Enough

It's really hard to communicate with someone who answers a question with a word or two. I remember a couple of interviews where I felt like I was pulling teeth to get any answers from the candidate. It wasn't pleasant. So, even though you shouldn't talk too much, you do want to be responsive and fully answer the question as best you can.

7. Downplaying your Accomplishments

The fact that you landed an interview proves that the company is already impressed by you. Now it's your job to show them that they weren't wrong. "Being too humble or too self-deprecating isn't endearing; it's a missed opportunity," Skillings says. "If you're modest by nature and you're not used to saying how great you are, you need to prepare to be good at that."

8. Vague Details

Even if you have submitted a resume when you applied for the job, you may also be asked to fill out a job application. In writing your resume, try all possible best to moderate the amount of details you include in the resume. Let the details you give be focused on the particular job you are applying for. Make sure you know the information you will need to complete an application including dates of prior employment, graduation dates, and employer contact information.

9. Give the Wrong Answer

Make sure you listen to the question and take a moment to gather your thoughts before you respond. What if the question you are asked during the job interview is quite difficult to produce an immediate answer? Here is what you should do; asked for few seconds to gather your thoughts before presenting your answer to the interviewer. Do not make this a habit during the course of the interview. Like the following candidate, you'll knock yourself out of contention if you give the wrong answer.

The interviewer had completely described a sales and marketing position to the candidate. She emphasized that cold calling and prospecting were the most important skills and experiences needed for the position. The candidate responded to the question about what she did or didn't like to do in sales, with these words: "I hate to do cold calling and prospecting, and I'm not good at it." That response ensured that she wouldn't get the job!

10. Running out of questions

While talking too much can cause annoyance, not saying enough is even more of a red flag. An interview is not just an opportunity for a company to hear all about you; it's the one shot you have to find out as much as you can about them as well. If you don't communicate a genuine interest or curiosity about the company, its culture, the specific team you're interviewing for, or other specifics not listed on the application, you'll likely come off as apathetic.

"Not having a question is definitely a bad sign," Skillings says. "I don't care how much the interviewer has talked or if they truly did answer everything you had written down in your notebook. You must come back with another question. I tell people to have at least three questions prepared in advance, but you should also be paying attention in the interview so you can ask spontaneous questions as well."

11. Badmouthing Past Employers

Your last boss was an idiot? Everyone in the company was a jerk? You hated your job and couldn't wait to leave? Even if it's true don't say so. I cringed when I heard someone ranting and raving about the last company she worked for. That company happened to be our largest customer and, of course, I wasn't going to hire someone who felt that way about the company and everyone who worked there.

It's sometimes a smaller world than you think and you don't know who your interviewer might know, including that boss who is an idiot... You also don't want the interviewer to think that you might speak that way about his or her company if you leave on terms that aren't the best.

12. Forget to Follow Up

Afraid you didn't make the best impression? Are you sure that you aced the interviewed? Either way, be sure to follow up with a thank you note reiterating your interest in the position and the company.

In conclusion, even if the interview does not turn out to be as expected which will not be, do not allow anything to weigh you down. Learn from your mistakes and move on.
source:http://unnedu..com/2015/01/do-you-want-to-get-that-job-12-job.html

Re: Do You Want To Get That Job ? 12 Job Tricks To Use. by Sirfrederick(m): 2:38pm On Jan 14, 2015

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Vacancy For A Temporary Hr Officer (3 Months Contract) / Please Shed More Light / Job Alert: Vacancies At Conciliation Resources

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.