Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,756 members, 7,824,169 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:17 AM

Just Before You Take That Job, See This - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Just Before You Take That Job, See This (18992 Views)

Sample Cover Letter That Should Land You That Job / 7 Things To Consider Before Taking Up That Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Just Before You Take That Job, See This by BiafraBushBoy(m): 3:01pm On Jun 28, 2016
The joy of moving out in the morning, the joy of putting on sharp shoes and work attires, the anticipation of getting monthly alerts, the urge of being called a working class guy/girl, the zeal to climb the career ladder has driven lots of youths into untold slavery rather than financial freedom and Job comfort.
LET ME EXPLAIN
As a young student in the finals of a university, all you anticipated about was graduating from school and being employed in one of the biggest firms in the country, with a driver, P.A, Secretary and your own house. You finally graduate and go for the compulsory NYSC and perform all rituals that comes along with it. Now you are good to go, but 3 years after there seems to be no head way yet.
Family members are tired, Parents are complaining, Siblings are murmuring, Guys in the neighborhood are using you as example when stories of unemployment are brought up. But what can you do? you keep asking yourself.
Out of anger, you relocate to Lagos and start the Job hunt seriously. Every job looks enticing to you, you no longer care about other factors. All you need now is JUST A JOB! You start the Job hunt.
Finally you get JUST A JOB and few months later you wake up from sleep around 5.30am (NORMAL TIME IN LAGOS) and all you do is hiss and curse the economy and wish you can just stay at home all day.
The imaginary picture of your office in your head is just like the Last fight in the Spartacus movie, you dread everyone in the office, the feeling of going to work makes you vomit, sick and depressed. All you do is wish you never worked in such a place. Now my question is WHAT HAPPENED??.. Before you take JUST THAT JOB, See this-

1) Terms and Conditions: It is well said that Nigerians are too lazy to read the terms and conditions of anything. All they want to do is just a brief explanation and where they can click or tick "I ACCEPT". Job seekers fail to access all these and all they just take into consideration is
i) How much is my Basic
ii) How many times will i work in a week
iii) Is there any added compensation plan?.... Thats all.
What about other questions like am I entitled to a Leave?
How long will I stay before I become a confirmed staff?
If I fail to meet up with some conditions, what is the penalty?
What benefits can't I enjoy at my stage now... This are few of the questions you need to ask before you dive into the Job...

2) Run a fast Background Check: People have worked there before you. People will still work after you. These are the people that can tell you the truth. I remember attending an Interview and after the interview, I took my time to ask a staff of the firm about some little things(after we became friends) Lo and Behold she told me that... "Any day you come late to work, 1500naira is deducted from your salary, They pay the 2nd week of a new month, etc). I ddin't bother collecting the appointment letter, because i wasn't prepared being a slave in this 21st century.

When you ask questions, You get to know...
i) How your Boss behaves
ii) The working conditions, and every other thing related to the company.

After these questions and you now know the "REAL" firm you are about working for, then you can make your choice.

See you next time on a Thread titled.... "Before you get the Dream Job, Do all These"

Complied and Written by Mike Bush (Marketing Strategist, Public speaker)

31 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Just Before You Take That Job, See This by megawax8: 3:05pm On Jun 28, 2016
This is very good. Nice write up OP

*modified*

And that's how I finally made this FTC everyone has been shouting about. Okay lemme use this opportunity to shout out to my...........(abeg, I don old pass this thing)

7 Likes

Re: Just Before You Take That Job, See This by Qyubee(m): 10:43pm On Jun 29, 2016
Good job @Op
Re: Just Before You Take That Job, See This by BiafraBushBoy(m): 9:54am On Jun 30, 2016
megawax8:
This is very good. Nice write up OP

Thanks friend...
Re: Just Before You Take That Job, See This by BiafraBushBoy(m): 9:55am On Jun 30, 2016
Qyubee:
Good job @Op
Thanks a bunch...
Lalasticlala come and see..
Re: Just Before You Take That Job, See This by MrsLalasticlala: 11:41am On Jun 30, 2016
BiafraBushBoy:

Thanks a bunch...

Lalasticlala come and see..
No he's not coming.
Re: Just Before You Take That Job, See This by bolt000(m): 12:48pm On Jun 30, 2016
Nice Write Up.

So BiafraBushBoy Wrote All This?

Adonbilivit!!
Re: Just Before You Take That Job, See This by Chiccly(f): 12:52pm On Jun 30, 2016
Thanks for the reminder.

Very,very important pointers!
Re: Just Before You Take That Job, See This by ShutdownBrown24(m): 12:53pm On Jun 30, 2016
Ok
Re: Just Before You Take That Job, See This by seunny4lif(m): 12:53pm On Jun 30, 2016
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Some jobs like Ondo state grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Just Before You Take That Job, See This by Ratello: 12:54pm On Jun 30, 2016
@ op you will live long, as a matter of fact almost 90% of private firms are guilty of these factual points you raised. I see them as 419 companies who will make their terms and conditions irresistibly attractive just to swindle you except one ask any old sincere staff about how the company treat them. They promise to give you a take home of N80,000 only for them to pay you half of their promise without prior notice of such abuse angry set of worthless firms

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Just Before You Take That Job, See This by ictmikky(m): 12:55pm On Jun 30, 2016
Issoke
Re: Just Before You Take That Job, See This by Kingzy4pep(m): 12:55pm On Jun 30, 2016
MrsLalasticlala:

No he's not coming.
Did Lala approved this your moniker?

1 Like

Re: Just Before You Take That Job, See This by Johnrake69: 12:55pm On Jun 30, 2016
Great insight
Re: Just Before You Take That Job, See This by Kakamorufu(m): 12:55pm On Jun 30, 2016
Wow. Thanks for this. It's an eye opener
Re: Just Before You Take That Job, See This by kingarizona1(m): 12:55pm On Jun 30, 2016
MrsLalasticlala:

No he's not coming.

Who are you? His wife, Ex, GF or what? Anyway I just noticed you joined the Nairaland League recently(welcome on Board), I guess LALA got married today....... #just saying#
Re: Just Before You Take That Job, See This by shobroy10(m): 12:59pm On Jun 30, 2016
This is cool am still part of those jobless graduate out here but I know my time is near # keeping the faith
Re: Just Before You Take That Job, See This by johnsonjosbles(m): 1:02pm On Jun 30, 2016
BiafraBushBoy:

Thanks friend...
very briliant of u Op, u indirectly talking to me now! Infact, I'm waiting for my boss to pay today sef b4 I give him my resgntn leter! The Slavery is too much.
Re: Just Before You Take That Job, See This by iebanehita(m): 1:04pm On Jun 30, 2016
MrsLalasticlala:
Lol. Really?
#Handler
Re: Just Before You Take That Job, See This by Tbillz(m): 1:06pm On Jun 30, 2016
Your rejected terms and condition is someone's favourites' even the bible kicks against despiting little beginning. Every business or set Up in Nig survives on give and take policy. Just pray for better days

3 Likes

Re: Just Before You Take That Job, See This by TeamSimple(m): 1:07pm On Jun 30, 2016
God bless you op.
I am presently in similar situation. I went for an Interview earlier this week for a sales staff job at a popular insurance company.
The interviewer told me the pay is 35k. After calculating transport and feeding, it ran into 20k monthly.

Looking at the stress to follow the job of marketing Insurance around, I have been asking myself is it worth it?

1 Like

Re: Just Before You Take That Job, See This by geraldgiz(m): 1:07pm On Jun 30, 2016
Beautiful write up
Re: Just Before You Take That Job, See This by Jumat08(m): 1:07pm On Jun 30, 2016
Factual and precise,well done @OP
Re: Just Before You Take That Job, See This by DAntivirus: 1:08pm On Jun 30, 2016
Hmmmm... My case ehn?
Re: Just Before You Take That Job, See This by Nwogeh: 1:12pm On Jun 30, 2016
Nice Write up
Re: Just Before You Take That Job, See This by 0955eb027(m): 1:12pm On Jun 30, 2016
Wetin man go do nah?. If you get a job that does not align with your goal, or a job that drains all you have (physically, mentally, emotionally); all you have to do is start planning your exit strategy from the very first day. Because jobs like that will suck one in, and all you will have to show for it is the meagre salary you are being paid. It is well.
Re: Just Before You Take That Job, See This by Luxiana19(f): 1:18pm On Jun 30, 2016
Nice write up.

But As per na Naija we dey. If you're even lucky to find a job sef, just thank your stars. Ain't nobody got time to be checking terms and conditions.
Unemployed gradutes fly into the job like

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Just Before You Take That Job, See This by 0955eb027(m): 1:22pm On Jun 30, 2016
Luxiana19:
how much for a plot?

1 Like

Re: Just Before You Take That Job, See This by obamma: 1:22pm On Jun 30, 2016
interesting
Re: Just Before You Take That Job, See This by histemple: 1:24pm On Jun 30, 2016
Frustration is the reason for the disregard to all you said. If only you know how frustrating job unemployment has been to some people.

In fact, it's so bad that some people see absolutely no reason to continue living. Just imagine the desperation of someone who doesn't have N100 in his pocket and has to depend on another fellow for feeding.
Re: Just Before You Take That Job, See This by bedfordng(m): 1:41pm On Jun 30, 2016
nice write up
Re: Just Before You Take That Job, See This by Lnxxxxx(m): 1:57pm On Jun 30, 2016
Very articulate stuff and very true too.

The examples above are even small, my last job is the true definition of slavery, people should be very careful sha. Information is very key during decision making.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Federal Character Commision Recruiting Graduates / Massive Banking Recruitment At Workforce Management Centre (over 700 Positions) / Did You Receive An Email From Fed Ministry of Youth & Sport Development?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.