Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,626 members, 7,820,213 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:32 AM

How I Engage With APC Supporters And Win Them Over Offline. Part 1 (Corruption) - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How I Engage With APC Supporters And Win Them Over Offline. Part 1 (Corruption) (8654 Views)

Supporters And Friends Abandon Metuh In Court - Sahara Reporters / Memos To GMB: No 1 - Corruption / (Boko haram )PART 2 Of How I Engage With APC Supporters & Win Them Over Offline. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How I Engage With APC Supporters And Win Them Over Offline. Part 1 (Corruption) by Curlieweed: 6:30pm On Jan 15, 2015
Change2015:
For more on the illusory fight against corruption this is from 2012,and yet no action taken.
http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/3636-kpmg-report-20-nigeriana-efcc-should-interrogate.html

d in the report, a detailed analysis of the document by Premium Times has thrown up at least 20 government officials and businesspersons who have questions to answer as far as the audit is concerned. Interrogating these persons is a good starting point for the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, which has been mandated by Mr. President to probe the monumental corruption in the oil industry.

Femi Otedola

He is owner and chief executive officer of Zenon Oil, which was named in the report amongst the unlisted off-takers that illegally got crude oil allocations in 2008. He has to explain how his company bypassed due process and cornered contracts even without being on the approved list of buyers for that year.

...uarter of 2008 importation tender. The CEO of the company is Wale Tinubu.

Augustine Olusegun Oniwon

Mr. Oniwon currently serves as the group managing director of the Nigerian petroleum corporation(NNPC), the main focus of the independent audit. During the period reviewed by the audit (2007-2009), he was the group general manager, research and development, a position he held between 2005 and 2009.

The top-notch position, though not directly related to importation of refined products and subsidy payments, is a managerial position with the officials privileged to key decisions of the corporation. Still, Mr. Oniwon’s current position as the GMD allows him full access to records and information of past and present procedures including the fuel subsidy payment, exchange rate, manipulations in the award of contracts for importation and others.

Abubakar Yar’adua

Mr. Yar’adua acted as the GMD between 2007 and January 2009, and a greater part of the tenure came under the KPMG investigations. He should provide responses to the questions stretching the many alleged sharp practices in the industry during his time in office.

Mohammed Barkindo

As GMD between January 2009 and 2010, he supervised a corporation that sustained the same practices and procedures according to the report. He should avail investigators with answers to multiple areas of concerns.

Chris Ogiemwoyi

Only a few NNPC portfolios are explicitly mentioned in the report as the group executive director(GED) in charge of exploration and production, the GED in charge of commercial and investment and the GED in charge of account and finance.

The GED for E&P is named in connection with poor documentation of petroleum imports data, controversial review of official selling price of crude, and the dubious reduction of selling price of crude for NNPC, different from that given to other off-takers. Mr. Ogiemwoyi, a former minister of state for power, held that office for the period under review.

Mr. Lawson was the GED for finance and accounts from December 2004 to April 2009, one of the longest terms ever for that very crucial portfolio. On his Linkedin page, Mr. Lawson is currently profiled as a Managing partner at Financial Advisory and Investment Consultants Limited.

Besides the GMD, the office would be most privy to nearly all operations reviewed by the audit, according to the report.

Aminu Babakusa

“Potential conflict of interest with COMD acting as agent to government and being under NNPC who is also its customer.”

That is the position of the report on the practice whereby crude sales to the NNPC were at lower prices than the official selling price, and that given to other dealers, a practice that resulted in significant revenue loss to the federation.

Between 2007 and 2009, the period primarily covered by the KPMG report, [/b]Mr. Babakusa was the Group General Manager in charge of Crude Oil Marketing Division(COMD). He was also the GED C&I briefly in 2009, and currently is the GED in charge of Business Development.

Michael Abiodun Arokodare

Mr. Arokodare is the current GED for Finance and Accounts. He took over from Mr. Lawson in 2009 after serving as a GGM in the directorate between 2007 and 2009. He should provide vital information and answers particularly with several of the past messy procedures believed to be continuing.

His was another controversial era expected to play a key role in any major probe. Mr. Kukpolokun headed the NNPC since [b]November 2003 to august 2007, partly covered by the report.

“Non-adherence to TA has a potential to negatively impact on the country’s oil and gas reserves projections and plans,” the report said, citing instances where the TA was exceeded by Total and Chevron, NAE and Esso in 2010. Mr. Birni was the DPR Director in 2008.

Billy Agha

Mr. Agha was in charge of the Department of Petroleum Resources in 2009 and has a deep insight of the rot and monumental corruption in the industry during the period.

Refer to the highlighted; the article (you hurriedly copied and pasted) clearly states that the audit covered the period from 2007 to 2009. Unless you think that GEJ should've used a time machine to check corruption in the oil industry even before he became the president, you shouldn't have posted this article.

There is a pattern here where Apeeshit supporters post long complex articles (knowing most people won't read the articles) just to impugn the integrity of Johny Boy often without any real substance.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Engage With APC Supporters And Win Them Over Offline. Part 1 (Corruption) by Chylo(m): 6:39pm On Jan 15, 2015
Matthewbriggs:
GEJ's fight against Corruption:

Under him according to Transparency international our corruption rating has improved We use to be 3rd but now we are 139th.

Oga, you lied here. Flat lie.

We were 1st, 2nd and 3rd most corrupt nation in the world at various times since 1999, but we started to improve way before Jonathan.

2005 was the first time we dropped to 6th:
http://www.transparency.org/research/cpi/cpi_2005/0/

Then in 2006, we dropped to 18th:
http://www.transparency.org/research/cpi/cpi_2006/0/

These improvements continued. When Jonathan took office in 2010, our CPI placed us 134 out of 178, hence 44th most corrupt country.
http://www.transparency.org/cpi2010/results

As at last year, 2014, we placed 136 out of 174 countries, making us 38th most corrupt country in the world:
http://www.transparency.org/cpi2014/results

Which means GEJ made us WORSE

I hate falsehood so much.
"We used to be 3rd and now 139th?" Are you high or something? You counted the previous position from the bottom and the present one from the top!!! ...and none even in GEJ's government!!! Stupid silly lies.

That's why I hate government propaganda. Lets say I didn't have internet, so I would have swallowed up all your [size=15pt]LIES[/size] now.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Engage With APC Supporters And Win Them Over Offline. Part 1 (Corruption) by Change2015(m): 6:40pm On Jan 15, 2015
Matthewbriggs:

Detecting in the first place makes it easier for you to prosecute and take appropriate action. You cant prosecute what you can't see.

The 60,000 ghost workers are a good case study. If GEJ was heavily on prosecution like Buhari. Our prisons would have 60,000 more people added in one swoop. These people are someones father

The difference between the manual and electronic version is that ... the electronic version leaves trails .... now you can easily trace how funds were moved.

Given the current complexity and cost of prosecuting corrupt people using the legal process, it is more effective and efficient to prevent them from engaging in corrupt act in the first place by setting up systems that makes it harder.

Moreover once these systems are set those that crack the system and carry out crime should be prosecuted

You cannot illustrate your weak argument in this way. Ghost workers by definition do not exist, so how can they be jailed? Logic failure. What it is, is that a person or persons within the bureaucracy have inserted fake identities into the payroll, and set up accounts to receive their wages. How can ghost workers be found but there is no exposure of the perpetrators of the fraud, no prosecution? Most people in the jail system are awaiting trial, and I would have no objections if the perpetrators of such activities were in that situation. It would be a deterrent to others. Nigeria fails mainly because people see efficiency has no reward, and crime has no consequences in the public sector!

#change
#GMB
#APC
Re: How I Engage With APC Supporters And Win Them Over Offline. Part 1 (Corruption) by Change2015(m): 6:48pm On Jan 15, 2015
Curlieweed:

Refer to the highlighted; the article (you hurriedly copied and pasted) clearly states that the audit covered the period from 2007 to 2009. Unless you think that GEJ should've used a time machine to check corruption in the oil industry even before he became the president, you shouldn't have posted this article.

There is a pattern here where Apeeshit supporters post long complex articles (knowing most people won't read the articles) just to impugn the integrity of Johny Boy often without any real substance.

Please grow up. If a person steals in 1999 and the crime is uncovered today, he must still be prosecuted. If a person killed someone in 2000,and the evidence is found today, he must still be prosecuted. You don't only prosecute crimes committed under your presidency, you prosecute as the evidence emerges, subject to the statutes of limitations. That is how the law should work in a sane society. This report was given to the government in 2011,and so far the result is resounding silence and inactivity. Don't worry, Buhari is coming to change that kind of warped thinking on display.
Perhaps the president should not tackle boko haram because it didn't start under his presidency, abi?

#change
#GMB
#APC

1 Like

Re: How I Engage With APC Supporters And Win Them Over Offline. Part 1 (Corruption) by anonimi: 7:04pm On Jan 15, 2015
Change2015:
If a person killed someone in 2000,and the evidence is found today, he must still be prosecuted.

I hope the statute of limitations does not affect those three young people that Buhari killed with retroactive laws such that he can be charged to court even a civil case by the families.
Re: How I Engage With APC Supporters And Win Them Over Offline. Part 1 (Corruption) by Change2015(m): 7:14pm On Jan 15, 2015
anonimi:

I hope the statute of limitations does not affect those three young people that Buhari killed with retroactive laws such that he can be charged to court even a civil case by the families.

It is harsh to say, but as a society we cannot be crying over the execution of drug smugglers. They bring ruin to many lives, many families, and the reputation of the country. Even the son of one of them, has come out to say he will be voting for Buhari. I'm sure he understands that he cannot defend his father's actions.

#change
#GMB
#APC
Re: How I Engage With APC Supporters And Win Them Over Offline. Part 1 (Corruption) by OrlandoOwoh(m): 7:19pm On Jan 15, 2015
Has Jonathan imported the modern technology that will prevent people from stealing? Will it be in form of micro chips that will be implanted in us? Lol.

1 Like

Re: How I Engage With APC Supporters And Win Them Over Offline. Part 1 (Corruption) by Curlieweed: 7:19pm On Jan 15, 2015
I
Change2015:

Please grow up. If a person steals in 1999 and the crime is uncovered today, he must still be prosecuted. If a person killed someone in 2000,and the evidence is found today, he must still be prosecuted. You don't only prosecute crimes committed under your presidency, you prosecute as the evidence emerges, subject to the statutes of limitations. That is how the law should work in a sane society. This report was given to the government in 2011,and so far the result is resounding silence and inactivity. Don't worry, Buhari is coming to change that kind of warped thinking on display.
Perhaps the president should not tackle boko haram because it didn't start under his presidency, abi?

#change
#GMB
#APC

Shallow comeback mixed with incoherent gibberish. You posted the article to make us believe that the said crimes happened under GEJ. Do you have any evidence that nothing was done about the issues uncovered by the audit?
Re: How I Engage With APC Supporters And Win Them Over Offline. Part 1 (Corruption) by abacus(m): 7:21pm On Jan 15, 2015
meccuno:
so it is easy to discuss GEJ and PDP with all the insults,but it is not right to criticise fashola and APC......why be a hypocrite?

Reason I said it's misleading.. I expect u to list GEJ's achievements.

1 Like

Re: How I Engage With APC Supporters And Win Them Over Offline. Part 1 (Corruption) by kaboninc(m): 7:39pm On Jan 15, 2015
If only we can be objective in our analysis.

I still wonder how we feel it saves resources in fighting corruption than preventing it. It baffles me really. Is GEJ responsible for the way lawyers seek for extention of cases and the judge grants such requests?

Even if a clear case of corruption has been established, is GET going to just throw that person into Kirikiri, in a democratic dispensation like ours?

Don't you know that people prefer to steal massively because they believe that they can buy the system?

Shouldn't we advocate for stronger, tighter and firmer institutions and processes?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Engage With APC Supporters And Win Them Over Offline. Part 1 (Corruption) by emiye(m): 7:43pm On Jan 15, 2015
Where is the op of this thread.?

Has he been convinced Online that GEJ is not a marketable product? Has he dumped GEJ finally ?

1 Like

Re: How I Engage With APC Supporters And Win Them Over Offline. Part 1 (Corruption) by jelel6: 7:58pm On Jan 15, 2015
GEJ has told us that strong institutions is the remedy for corruption NOT strong men. BUHARI has told us that strong men are the solutions to corruption AND HE HAS NEVER said he is against building these strong institutions. So Buhari is giving us the preventive and the corrective measures, the full package. Going forward!
Matthewbriggs:

Below were my questions
GEJ has told us that strong institutions is the remedy for corruption NOT strong men. BUHARI has told us that strong men are the solutions to corruption AND HE HAS NEVER said he is against building these strong institutions. So Buhari is giving us the preventive and the corrective measures, the full package. Going forward!
Re: How I Engage With APC Supporters And Win Them Over Offline. Part 1 (Corruption) by bayulll01(m): 8:04pm On Jan 15, 2015
Matthewbriggs:
This thread was inspired by my encounter with a cab driver today. I boarded a cab ... as the journey progressed. The driver started talking about how APC's buhari was the best thing for Nigeria. After spending few minutes with him in that cab discussing politics ... This guy moved from been a buhari supporter to undecided.

All I basically did was share with him my conviction on why I think Good luck deserves a second term.
The first thing any buhari supporter would do when they start engaging you is complain about Jonathan government. Their complains revolves around three key themes. They are a) Corruption b) Insecurity c) and the economy.

In the next couple of days I would be addressing each of these themes on separate threads as I try to share with you my personal conviction.
for today I would Start with Corruption

Pathetic I wish am in the car and I will take u to the car where u belong,on other note I also engage people on Danfo with reason why they should not give excuse for a failure,and why we don't need a president that always claim sympathy instead of him to be a force to reckon with,u can bring it on here I will still disgrace you and send you to the bin where u belong

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How I Engage With APC Supporters And Win Them Over Offline. Part 1 (Corruption) by bayulll01(m): 8:09pm On Jan 15, 2015
Matthewbriggs:

I need fact and links to support your allegations. Then I would respond to them.

Secondly Holatin I would like to ask you to ask you have you asked Fashola why he is yet to domesticate the freedom of information bill.
your obsession with fashola will not send you to a journey of no return,if I may ask why don't u ask your state governor all these pathetic questions,is it not in your state some civil servant were not even allowed to questions the governor on how he spend his monthly allocation from FG,lagos has suddenly become a yardstick for u morons
Re: How I Engage With APC Supporters And Win Them Over Offline. Part 1 (Corruption) by jelel6: 8:14pm On Jan 15, 2015
you see there is nothing wrong in preventing corrupt practices. But if you refused to punish corrupt officials then you send a wrong message that any body who is able to bypass this systems and successfully commits a crime can go free without punisment for instance, FAROUK LAWAN.
kaboninc:
If only we can be objective in our analysis.

I still wonder how we feel it saves resources in fighting corruption than preventing it. It baffles me really. Is GEJ responsible for the way lawyers seek for extention of cases and the judge grants such requests?

Even if a clear case of corruption has been established, is GET going to just throw that person into Kirikiri, in a democratic dispensation like ours?

Don't you know that people prefer to steal massively because they believe that they can buy the system?

Shouldn't we advocate for stronger, tighter and firmer institutions and processes?
you see there is nothing wrong in preventing corrupt practices. But if you refused to punish corrupt officials then you send a wrong message that any body who is able to bypass this systems and successfully commits a crime can go free without punisment for instance, FAROUK LAWAN.

1 Like

Re: How I Engage With APC Supporters And Win Them Over Offline. Part 1 (Corruption) by Matthewbriggs(m): 8:17pm On Jan 15, 2015
bayulll01:
Pathetic I wish am in the car and I will take u to the car where u belong,on other note I also engage people on Danfo with reason why they should not give excuse for a failure,and why we don't need a president that always claim sympathy instead of him to be a force to reckon with,u can bring it on here I will still disgrace you and send you to the bin where u belong

Lol your post reminds me of one cab driver. He is serious buhari fanatic. I had to chill down a bit because the vibe I was getting from him was not funny. I want to live long.

Where the conversation became interesting was when he raised buharis certificate issue. When I finished educating him about it. The man just dey look me.

Moreover thank you for comment. It is well
Re: How I Engage With APC Supporters And Win Them Over Offline. Part 1 (Corruption) by Matthewbriggs(m): 8:22pm On Jan 15, 2015
emiye:
Where is the op of this thread.?

Has he been convinced Online that GEJ is not a marketable product? Has he dumped GEJ finally ?

I have been very busy ... Just closed from work.

GEJ is a very marketable product the challenge GEJ is facing is that he has a very weak propaganda team who is just waking up from a long slumber.

If GEJ loses the election. It would not be because he did not perform well. It would be because those in charge of selling his image to Nigerians did a poor job.

1 Like

Re: How I Engage With APC Supporters And Win Them Over Offline. Part 1 (Corruption) by ASL33: 8:25pm On Jan 15, 2015
The problem with we Africans is that we want quick fix which doesn't last. Jim Nwaobdo and others was jailed for more that 2000 years in jail. Today Jim and his cohorts that are still alive are the ones running riots in their various states. If after 32 yrs of Buhari fighting corruption and we still have corrupt people around it only means that he did not succeed. If he did not succed then he will not succed now that he senses are no longer together due to old age.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How I Engage With APC Supporters And Win Them Over Offline. Part 1 (Corruption) by bayulll01(m): 8:32pm On Jan 15, 2015
Matthewbriggs:

Lol your post reminds me of one cab driver. He is serious buhari fanatic. I had to chill down a bit because the vibe I was getting from him was not funny. I want to live long.

Where the conversation became interesting was when he raised buharis certificate issue. When I finished educating him about it. The man just dey look me.

Moreover thank you for comment. It is well

all those gibberish you are selling will not fly mr man,am not a motor park tout that u can bamboos with ur story,Gej is not marketable,u cant say all these rubbish in an environment where Erudite and inteLligent are base,one thing I will ask you,What has Gej done for the masses on the street to make put their destiny in Gej hand in the next 4yrs,oga accept your president is the most corrupt,Stupe,pathetic,idiocy,demented,retaRdd,cluelessss in history of Nigeria,Millitant asari just endorse jonathan he acknowledge that Gej regim is corrupt,hilliary said It,South africa mallama just said it.
Gmb is not our best choice is just that we are too tired of Gej stupidity of claiming sympathy and blaming everything on opposition instead of accepting responsibilities,our Major problem in Nigeria is Tribalism,Religion and stupidity,if not that u are very Stupiiid u won't come here and defend the indefensible

1 Like

Re: How I Engage With APC Supporters And Win Them Over Offline. Part 1 (Corruption) by nigerianvenom(m): 8:34pm On Jan 15, 2015
Matthewbriggs:

I need fact and links to support your allegations. Then I would respond to them.

Secondly Holatin I would like to ask you to ask you have you asked Fashola why he is yet to domesticate the freedom of information bill.

nigerians need great positive thinkers like u to progress.
most people are just shouting "sai buhari' without any idea about what leadership entails.it is really heartbreaking

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How I Engage With APC Supporters And Win Them Over Offline. Part 1 (Corruption) by nigerianvenom(m): 8:45pm On Jan 15, 2015
KwoiZabo:
As a matter of Fact Prosecuting has not worked whether under OBJ or Yar'adua

'The blind man in the Bible said. I was blind now I can see.' We don't see government's money before now we can see it in our roads, rails, new universities, bridges, improved power supply etc what else do ordinary Nigerians ask for?

seriously,the problem bedeviling Africa is not leadership problem,but institutional problem.
when u build a strong institution,then good governance can strive and that is what GEJ is actually doing

1 Like

Re: How I Engage With APC Supporters And Win Them Over Offline. Part 1 (Corruption) by akinsadeez(m): 8:46pm On Jan 15, 2015
The OP has tried to paint GEJ as fighting corruption more than any other president. However some examples puts paid to these lies.

1) Why did Jonathan grant a presidential pardon to Dipriye Alamieyeseigha, his erstwhile boss and notoriously corrupt boss despite the public outcry from majority of Nigerians and the United States where Alams remains a wanted felon. If you remember, alamieyesigha was being tried on charges of money laundering of one million dollars in the US when he escaped to Nigeria dressed as a woman. Till today he remains wanted in the US. Yet Jonathan, a man who is being portrayed as an anti corruption czar gladly gave him a presidential pardon opening the way for him to contest for political posts again. A convict who sucked his people dry while in power and Jonathan has cleared the way for him to come back into power. Won't he steal again?

2) Why is that Gej continues to hobnob with Buruji Kashamu, another person who is clearly wanted in the US. Ever since GEJ has come to power Kashamu has been given accelerated promotion and prominence in the southwest. Is this also another method of fighting corruption?

3) How come Gej said ordinary stealing is different from corruption, something he has not been able to sufficiently explain till today. Will a president who is fighting corruption tell you that stealing is not corruption?

4) EFF has tried 427 cases but how many did they successfully get a conviction. Erastus Akingbola's case, El rufai's case, Dimeji bankole's case, among others were all thrown out. Intact some of them ended in no case submission which is like the lowest of lows in criminal prosecution. What is the essence of trying 427 cases if you won't win any?

1 Like

Re: How I Engage With APC Supporters And Win Them Over Offline. Part 1 (Corruption) by emiye(m): 9:03pm On Jan 15, 2015
Matthewbriggs:

I have been very busy ... Just closed from work.

GEJ is a very marketable product the challenge GEJ is facing is that he has a very weak propaganda team who is just waking up from a long slumber.

If GEJ loses the election. It would not be because he did not perform well. It would be because those in charge of selling his image to Nigerians did a poor job.

So you believe GEJ is very marketable.

Market GEJ in the light of the following :

1. 400,000 barrels of oil stolen daily, yet pipeline protection contracts running in to billions of Naira in the hands of terrorists/militants

2. increased petrol price from 65-97naira in a period of oil boom over 110usd/barrel consistently for years,

3. power supply has not seen any worthwhile improvement 5 years down the line, it is still the same 4,000mw bullshittt+- , i have been hearing since the Obj regime . I just saw a protest on Channelstv of Benin youths destroying properties of the distribution company in care of the region due to poor power supply to their area

4. Thrillions used in paying fraudulent kerosene subsidy annually, that same amount can build four (4.) or more large scale refineries and there would be change. Yet kerosene sold at over N120 to the populace instead of the claimed N50. Refined petroleum products still imported to the detriment of the country's foreign exchange.

5 Excess crude oil account wiped out, external debt profile rising again after debt relief of 2005, and OBJ's pay off of debt. Foreign reserve account depleting.

6. Several local govts taken over by BH, and BH obviously is enlarging its coast, over 2,000 killed in Baga days ago, yet the man does not appear bothered. Military men at warfront claims military weapons are inadequate and not up to date.

7. Failed to diversify the economy after 5 years, but simply lip service, 70% of the budget still on recurrent expenditure in a developing country that needs lots of physical infrastructures .

8. No concrete plan for grand scale unemployment that is a ticking time bomb, but minimalist approach like "youwin" that provides 1,000 jobs annually in a country with hundreds of million unemployed youth.

There are other massive corruption cases that others on this thread have made comment about, and many other disasters of the administration i have left out.

1 Like

Re: How I Engage With APC Supporters And Win Them Over Offline. Part 1 (Corruption) by buty: 9:17pm On Jan 15, 2015
Obiagelli:
I just keep laughing when gej supporters mention fertilizer as the only example for gej's corruption fight. How many % of our budget/expenses goes into fertilizer? It took gej 5yrs to fix fertilizer, when are we going to fix corruption in our agric research Institute? Tell me one of the over 50 research Institutes in Nigeria that is functional.

How about corruption in the ban on importation certain agric products? These contrabans still flood our markets.

How about corruption in the management of our forest reserves, the massive illegal felling of timber.

Note that i have not even left the agric sector.

Now to fertilizer, even though i am a poultry farmer, i have applied for fertilizer from the ministry of agric for the empty land on my farm, i am yet to receive response, i know for a fact that the wrong type of fertilizer are even given for the wrong type of crops as we speak.

RESULTS:

Can anyone tell us the positive results of the successes of the agriculture sector, i am talking down to the layman results not cooked up data.

How come food prices are rising, same thing for feed crops, how do we explain shortages in soya beans supply for instance.

Well I can attest to the fact that food prices are not rising. I live in Lagos, lekki to be precise and for the past two years or so prices of food stocks are relatively same
Re: How I Engage With APC Supporters And Win Them Over Offline. Part 1 (Corruption) by Nobody: 9:23pm On Jan 15, 2015
buty:

Well I can attest to the fact that food prices are not rising. I live in Lagos, lekki to be precise and for the past two years or so prices of food stocks are relatively same
Really? Pepper, tomatoes, bag of rice, beans and yam? Or are you talking about canned food?

1 Like

Re: How I Engage With APC Supporters And Win Them Over Offline. Part 1 (Corruption) by kaboninc(m): 9:40pm On Jan 15, 2015
jelel6:

For God's sake, GEJ never said he's not punishing them. But because of the rots even in the prosecution processes, more attention is given in preventing future occurrence so as to deter others from committing same crime.

Good a thing you mentioned Lawan. Lawan is still at the preliminary stages of his prosecution. Do you think such a guy won't fight to the last just to clear his name knowing fully well that he indeed committed a crime?

Is it GEJ's fault that the matter is still ongoing? Even our prisons are packed with awaiting trials. Is it GEJ's fault? Some ministry staff can just kill your case by hiding or stealing or burning your file. But with strengthen processes and institutions, not every kind of person can handle such files.
Re: How I Engage With APC Supporters And Win Them Over Offline. Part 1 (Corruption) by Alfranco(m): 9:41pm On Jan 15, 2015
Matthewbriggs:
Moreover Irrespective of his shortcomings I make bold to say that GEJ would be more effective in fighting corruption more than APC's Buhari. I say this for the following reasons.

1. The reaction of the opposition to the Freedom of information bill : In 2014 Lagos State Governor, Babatunde Fashola, SAN was dragged before a Federal High Court sitting in Lagos over alleged failure to release information and documents relating to spending in public schools in the state. - See more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/01/foi-lagos-gov-court-spending-education-lagos/#sthash.K6t9MF8C.dpuf

A judge of the Court of Appeal, C.C. Nweze, has criticised the Lagos State Government for arguing against the Freedom of Information (FoI) Act, insisting that the action of the government was not only misconceived, but also not in accordance with the provisions of law.
http://dailyindependentnig.com/2014/06/appeal-court-judge-carpets-lagos-position-foi-act/

The most effective way of fighting corruption is transparency and accountability, It is more powerful that sending corrupt people to jail. I am surprise that an APC dominated state ... that tells me they mean business when it comes to fighting corruption refused to implement or domesticate the local version of this bill.
A corrupt free man or government fears no accusations.

In 2014, A government audit of 57 local councils in Lagos State has indicted eight, accusing their officials of squandering at least N224 million of public funds on a range of questionable expenditure and unimplemented contracts. ( http://www.premiumtimesng.com/investigationspecial-reports/169586-exclusive-audit-exposes-massive-corruption-in-lagos-local-councils-indicts-officials-for-squandering-millions.html )

This is an ordinary audit report what happens if Lagosians have more accesses to information on how APC is really running Lagos.

Who would you prefer, A man who allows you to see his dirty laundry to a man who hides his dirty laundry for him to make you think his clean.

2. Buhari credentials makes me question his ability to attack corruption: Buhari unlike GEJ has been able to communicate clearly his stance in regards to corruption. He has been able to sell to Nigerians the image of a Nigerian leader who did not enrich himself in office. What he has not been able to sell to me is his ability to tackle corruption especially in the complex democratic terrain as Nigeria. I say this because intention and Results are two different things and Military and democracy are two different terrains.

Buhari had the Intention of saving Nigerian from corruption in 1985 alas if you look at the results critically, It is clear he failed woeful in the battle against corruption due to his poor strategy.

I say this in this context ... Buhari pursed a prosecution strategy where he jailed corrupt people, he never cared whose ox his gold or where you are located he would come after you. Yes he gave Nigerians the drama they wanted and the kind of news they wanted to hear... he disgraced top corrupt politicians in power but did that really have any concrete effect in the fight against corruption. The answer is a big NO.

You do not fight it by locking people in Kirikiri and closing down their businesses, case in point is that 30years later these same set of corrupt people he jailed are roaming free and doing more havoc than ever. In fact under his nose high level corruption took place.
Unlike Goodluck he did not leave any lasting legacy or build structures that would outlive him.

He's approach towards corruption is a strong pointer to the fact that he has no clear understanding of how to fight corruption. A very serious pointer is his stance towards freedom of speech.

The most powerful and effective way of tackling corruption is transparency ... A leader giving citizens the power and freedom to ask the government questions and hold her accountable is more effective that throwing 600 people in prison for corruption. Good-luck has done the opposite he signed the FOI bill.

Secondly buhari has no intimate experience of the intricacies of democracy. He would therefore be highly restricted in his fight against corruption. This is not 1985 where the presidents word is final. You can't just throw corrupt people in jail, you have to go through the courts and arm of government not under your control.

Good luck Ebele Jonathan may tnot be perfect. But he is the best thing that has ever happened to Nigeria. I would chose a man whose approach to solving corruption has been centered on building systems, checks and balances that makes it harder for corruption to take place. Than a man who thinks jailing corrupt people is the most efficient way of solving corruption.

Moreover feel free to engage me based on the above. Tomorrow I would be writing about Insecurity stay tuned.

Quite rationale. A complete departure from the usual cock and bull story of band wagons.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Engage With APC Supporters And Win Them Over Offline. Part 1 (Corruption) by joseph1832(m): 9:43pm On Jan 15, 2015
Matthewbriggs:
This thread was inspired by my encounter with a cab driver today. I boarded a cab ... as the journey progressed. The driver started talking about how APC's buhari was the best thing for Nigeria. After spending few minutes with him in that cab discussing politics ... This guy moved from been a buhari supporter to undecided.

All I basically did was share with him my conviction on why I think Good luck deserves a second term.
The first thing any buhari supporter would do when they start engaging you is complain about Jonathan government. Their complains revolves around three key themes. They are a) Corruption b) Insecurity c) and the economy.

In the next couple of days I would be addressing each of these themes on separate threads as I try to share with you my personal conviction.
for today I would Start with Corruption

Magnificent nonsense! I believe you won the cab driver because he is, 'A cab driver'. You should have thought it wise to try and convince me to vote GEJ!.

Imagine the nonsense you're saying, "GEJ is preventing corruption", "sending people to jail is a short term solution" this statements by you is the most narrow minded statement I've heard thus far!.

You seem not to understand the basic nature of man!.

Okay OP, try and convince me here why I should vote GEJ!. Let's have a debate!!!.
Re: How I Engage With APC Supporters And Win Them Over Offline. Part 1 (Corruption) by ITbomb(m): 9:52pm On Jan 15, 2015
Your answers are bolden.
obi4eze:

How does the depletion of our excess crude savings without accountability equate to fighting corruption?
Excess crude savings was the reason Amaechi took the FG to court and started squandering against the advice of NOI, it is the money that donated by Amaechi to Osun state to pay 3 months salary and fund APC in the hope of being a VP

Can Dr Jonathan tell us what happened to all the loans he collected from China and US to fight terrorism and develop infrastructure?
If at all there was any loan, the newly acquired military equipment, where do you think they are from or the renewed vigor in resisting the terrorists and launching offensive, don't you know that the possession of better arms is motivating the soldiers

Can he explain what actually happened to the funds gotten from SURE-P?
The road construction and railways, where do you think the money is from. BTW, by virtue of the FOI, you are very free to write and demand full account, the chairman of the fund few weeks ago even said that full account is available to anyone who wants it

Or can someone tell me why a certain convicted thief in the person of DSP Alamieseigha was pardoned by Dr Jonathan?
pardoned was meant for convicted persons not free people

Accountability and Integrity are very important in the fight against corruption and it is more than obvious that he does not have these qualities.
Is it the accountability that Fashola argue in court against the FOI, that it cannot be use in Lagos? Or the integrity that today certificate is with military, tomorrow it was eaten by one of my cows, next tomorrow IBB destroyed it.

The only CHANGE that will happen is in Lagos State.

My brother join the CHANGE train. Don't be left behind.

GEJ Till 2019
#changeisinlagos
#failbuhari

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Engage With APC Supporters And Win Them Over Offline. Part 1 (Corruption) by Lildreezy(m): 9:59pm On Jan 15, 2015
well sitted here, matthewbriggs seems to be an intellectual being, not these programmable Tan and sai buhari dumboos. intellect over gibberish.

3 Likes

Re: How I Engage With APC Supporters And Win Them Over Offline. Part 1 (Corruption) by stanech: 10:00pm On Jan 15, 2015
the APC chairman was asked how they will fight corruption and he mentioned FOI bill and I was wandering how many APC states has domesticated the bill yet?

seriously the holier than thou attitude of APC is killing me. this same APC overwhelmingly voted against local government autonomy and rejected it in their various states .

let's not forget about judicial autonomy that the APC states are against p.s the FG (Jonathan) has signed the bill into law

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Engage With APC Supporters And Win Them Over Offline. Part 1 (Corruption) by Lildreezy(m): 10:09pm On Jan 15, 2015
stanech:
the APC chairman was asked how they will fight corruption and he mentioned FOI bill and I was wandering how many APC states has domesticated the bill yet?

seriously the holier than thou attitude of APC is killing me. this same APC overwhelmingly voted against local government autonomy and rejected it in their various states .

let's not forget about judicial autonomy that the APC states are against p.s the FG (Jonathan) has signed the bill into law

I swear down. give me your account number let me bless u. I wonder what kind of conscience obiagelli and barcanista have when fashola is giving tinubu 500mil pension but eats akpabio raw for 300mil. of faShola was in PDP and hadn't yet signed d foi bill dey 'ld av rubbished him too. dis is why I'm even looking at sdp or not voting at all. I have a conscience and it hasn't and can never be bought.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Nyesome Wike, The Construction Governor Of Port Harcourt(pics) / North Is Not One / Breaking News - Buhari Picks Bakare

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 130
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.