Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,581 members, 7,837,190 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 06:30 PM

Welcome To My Office - Career (48) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Welcome To My Office (147675 Views)

Photos Of My Office And Why I May Resign To Pursue My Music Career / The Ladies In My Office Are Milking Me Dry. / I Rejected A 2 Year Bond By My Office Sending Me On A One Week Course To Uk (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) ... (77) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Welcome To My Office by Tmoni(m): 3:56pm On Nov 15, 2010
@tkb417

The amount i told you is before tax and we never got to me fully explaining the tax regime, i am scared of the final discussion with the accountant, and i also live in surrey so the money dey go out as soon as it comes in,

I still dey look towards naija oo, if anybody wants to emply me

@topic
another weekend working again, i need to get some thing else included in my weekend.
Re: Welcome To My Office by tkb417(m): 4:04pm On Nov 15, 2010
Tmoni:

@tkb417

The amount i told you is before tax and we never got to me fully explaining the tax regime, i am scared of the final discussion with the accountant, and i also live in surrey so the money dey go out as soon as it comes in,

@topic
another weekend working again, i need to get some thing else included in my weekend.
do you want me to do you a plan?

disclose the tax regime ( which i think i know), disclose your usual payables weekly, receivables (per diems), the income and lets see how surrey can be 'accommodated' in the plan without doing ur bottom line any harm

im sure ill do you a fantastic plan that can make you sing halleluyah end of the month/year

be that as it may, your coming to 9ja shd be a 12-18 month thingy and dont worry, all machineries would be thrown into action as from tmr

when u land in Dec, we go talk more.
Re: Welcome To My Office by tkb417(m): 4:23pm On Nov 15, 2010
hey Peeps

anyone knows where Cristalz has gone to?

she started the thread when she was a corper i think and now that she has a job, shes gone!

wow! we need to look for her

all the abuja pros should set out to bring her back here

we need to know how shes doing
Re: Welcome To My Office by AjanleKoko: 2:06pm On Nov 16, 2010
^^
Same here. Haven't seen her on YIM for a while.
Hard knock life sad
Re: Welcome To My Office by debosky(m): 2:42pm On Nov 16, 2010
I believe she's gone back to school for a masters degree. . . dunno any more details.
Re: Welcome To My Office by dayokanu(m): 9:38pm On Nov 16, 2010
YEBARIBA SAN---

Sorry I thought this was Sports section grin grin grin grin grin

Anyway How una dey o
Re: Welcome To My Office by debosky(m): 10:35pm On Nov 16, 2010
^^^ You get undiagnosed problem. grin

Where are Tkb and Tmoni? I want to follow their money analysis. grin

Work is getting to the point where you need to stop saying no - I have enough on my plate. But you have to be stylish in the way you say it so they don't think you're rebuffing them and feeling too big.
Re: Welcome To My Office by tkb417(m): 6:15pm On Nov 18, 2010
debosky:

Work is getting to the point where you need to stop saying no - I have enough on my plate. But you have to be stylish in the way you say it so they don't think you're rebuffing them and feeling too big.
lol

no more disclosures grin
Re: Welcome To My Office by netotse(m): 11:26pm On Nov 18, 2010
ok. . .boys are in gidi for some shady biz. . . grin

got stopped by anti-something police(dont know if it's robbery or whatever sha) there were in polo tops and jeans, their AK-47s were new. . .anyway sha, twas on Fola Agoro and it was at 9pm, i considered not stopping but they were many mennnn and as na night, liver no complete tongue

the guy sha said i should come and open the boot, i got down and he greeted me in hausa(i've got the beard thing going on so it tends to happen) and i answered him(in hausa as well, but no be hausa guy sha), i opened the boot and it was empty except for my laptop and a picture frame, the guy asked one or two questions i answered him and showed him my unilag ID tongue embarassed tongue and he ley me go without as much as hinting at collecting 'roger'. . . there's hope for naija afterall
Re: Welcome To My Office by debosky(m): 2:24pm On Nov 19, 2010
^^ More like hope if you can speak some Hausa to some anti-something police man. grin
Re: Welcome To My Office by Wilife: 2:06pm On Nov 21, 2010
This thread has always been helpful to me sha,

Frankly, on d issue of pay, I used to think the same way too,

Having spent about 3.5 years in the US studying and working, didn't take days to accept an offer from 1 of the O&G coys to relocate back here in March this year.

As far as I'm concerned, timing is critical. Naija is one decision to be made with careful planning. Like Oga Aj rightly pointed, I could never have lived in the UK, d States as far as I'm concerned is more flexible.

This is probably the most educative thread on NL, quite revealing and instructive,

Kudos to u all,
Re: Welcome To My Office by Tmoni(m): 3:47pm On Nov 21, 2010
@debosky
You will be duly notified when we get to the root of my always going into overdraft

@Wilife,
Welcome to this thread, i for like get one on one discussion with you as per naija
and also dont forget to give us gist of what goes on in your office

@thread
finally, my oga has seen that the work load is 3 much for me and i will soon get somebodi to work with me, hooray
Tmoni will be interviewing somebori,,,,makes me wonder
I also have to stop working weekends and get someting else doing ooo
Re: Welcome To My Office by sexysmith: 3:26pm On Nov 22, 2010
Hello Everyone !
I am working in B PO which is running for outsourcing .There are so many good thing our office and it's work culture
Re: Welcome To My Office by netotse(m): 10:56am On Nov 23, 2010
spent some time talking to an aunt that's a doctor last week, got a lot of perspective on their strikes and all, i must say nigeria is a very poor country

(working on the premise that you can measure the wealth of a country by how it treats it's people). She also explained how the power problem

affects the hospitals and meeennnnnn more than ever i feel we need to get this thing right once and for all.

we've been offered a really big project, the FEC is s'posed to discuss it tomo(my boss doesn't know i know. . .lol). i've made up my mind i dont want to be here for the darn thing sef, i doubt the experience would be worth the headache.
Re: Welcome To My Office by yodiyokun(f): 5:26pm On Nov 23, 2010
debosky:

I'm interested in this analysis as well,
I look at what I earn here, everyone tells me I'm top 10 % as per statistics Canada, but I swear I don't feel that way. lol!,

It's time to build wealth, but I'm thinking of going back to naija, and relaocation typically gulps lots and lots of money any which way you slice dice it.
I don tire!.
Re: Welcome To My Office by yodiyokun(f): 5:30pm On Nov 23, 2010
Tmoni:

@tkb417

I hear you about the tax thingy, I'm taxed effectively at 50% or close to it. Income tax is about 35% and sales tax is 13% on 98% of things I buy. That's a steep price to pay to just earn a few millions of naira.
It's ridiculous. I can't complain about the amenities though!.
Re: Welcome To My Office by yodiyokun(f): 5:35pm On Nov 23, 2010
netotse:

spent some time talking to an aunt that's a doctor last week, got a lot of perspective on their strikes and all, i must say nigeria is a very poor country

(working on the premise that you can measure the wealth of a country by how it treats it's people). She also explained how the power problem

affects the hospitals and meeennnnnn more than ever i feel we need to get this thing right once and for all.

The power problem is a MAJOR headache. It is crippling a lot of things in Naija.

@topic, It feels good to me my boss, but I have so much work to do its unbelievable.
On the good side I got a spot in the mentoring program in my office. It 's so competitive I never knew I could get in.
I got paired with a lady Vice-President in Investmentt Management. One tough and bright Actuarial Scientist. I hope to learn how to navigate the wild wild west of office politics.

Anyone have an experience of participating in organized/structured mentoring to share, either as a mentor or mentee?
Yodi
Re: Welcome To My Office by cecegorz(m): 9:40am On Nov 24, 2010
My work days are now basically trainings-meetings-trainings these days.

Its all good, its all good. cool
Re: Welcome To My Office by Wilife: 8:29pm On Nov 24, 2010
Good day All,

U are right on the money Yodiyokun,

d tax regime abroad is scary.

Ireland may soon join UK in jerking up taxes.

d US, I rest my case,

Honestly think Canada fared better in this crisis,

Be that as it may, relocation to Naija is tough but achievable.

There are d good days and very bad days,

@Tmoni, how do I share my e-mail without leaving it in public view,

Thanks,
Re: Welcome To My Office by Wallie(m): 3:47pm On Nov 29, 2010
First day back at work after a 5-day thanksgiving weekend and things are starting to already hit the fan! God save me from a finicky client especially since he’s being charged a somewhat fixed fee. Some people just can’t seem to make up their mind! I bet he’ll have a heart attack when he sees the bill and realize that a price quote is really just an estimate.

On a different note, I got to know of Wale Tinunbu and his accomplishments over the weekend from one of his close business associate only to see him, Wale, interviewed on CNN International yesterday (Sunday). It is inspiring to see a relatively young guy with a business started in Nigeria making international waves. It gives me hope that “things” are possible in the private sector even if you’re an outsider! Time to start planning …
Re: Welcome To My Office by netotse(m): 4:59pm On Nov 29, 2010
i'm unbelievably tired right now, haven't done a single sensible thing all day. . .at this point in time i'm soooo not enjoying the scam called paid employment
Re: Welcome To My Office by Wallie(m): 5:39pm On Nov 29, 2010
Off topic: Does anyone know of Nigerian companies that bid on outsourced programming projects on sites like Elance, freelancer, etc.? It seems like an easy way for local competent companies to make a trailer load of dollars with minimal amount of investment. India-based companies seem to have programming on lock and I can’t understand why the same is not true for Nigeria. After all, all you need is knowledge, a programming environment (IDE), a laptop and the internet.

It is crazy seeing all these small businesses making hundreds of thousand dollars from foreign companies while still 100% local. Some of these small companies are now so successful that they now open satellite offices in the US.
Re: Welcome To My Office by member28: 6:20pm On Nov 29, 2010
netotse:

i'm unbelievably tired right now, haven't done a single sensible thing all day. . .at this point in time i'm soooo not enjoying the scam called paid employment

sorry sad
Re: Welcome To My Office by yodiyokun(f): 7:32pm On Nov 29, 2010
Wallie:

Off topic: Does anyone know of Nigerian companies that bid on outsourced programming projects on sites like Elance, freelancer, etc.? It seems like an easy way for local competent companies to make a trailer load of dollars with minimal amount of investment. India-based companies seem to have programming on lock and I can’t understand why the same is not true for Nigeria. After all, all you need is knowledge, a programming environment (IDE), a laptop and the internet.

It is crazy seeing all these small businesses making hundreds of thousand dollars from foreign companies while still 100% local. Some of these small companies are now so successful that they now open satellite offices in the US.

Wallie,

I think Nigerian credibility is the problem. We are known for 419 while Indias and Chinese are known for programming prowess. It's also possible that these websites will not allow IP address from this part of the world. I know for certian that these websites are legit, but I'm not sure whether people will trust their job to a nigerian company, why take the chance when you can give the same bid to an Indian guy.
Re: Welcome To My Office by Wallie(m): 8:21pm On Nov 29, 2010
yodiyokun:

Wallie,

I think Nigerian credibility is the problem. We are known for 419 while Indias and Chinese are known for programming prowess. It's also possible that these websites will not allow IP address from this part of the world. I know for certian that these websites are legit, but I'm not sure whether people will trust their job to a nigerian company, why take the chance when you can give the same bid to an Indian guy.

I’ve outsourced a few of my projects and the way it is setup almost ensures weeding out fraud. Payment is only made through an escrow account owned by the website owner. Here’s how a typical transaction will work:

Hiring company: I’m looking for someone to build a 15-page Joomla website that includes a job posting page.

Responding company 1: Here is my proposal detailing 4 milestones. It will cost $1000 and can be ready in 2 weeks.

Milestone 1: Design /Mock up
Milestone 2: Coding
Milestone 3: Testing
Milestone 4: Delivery

Payments of $250 will be due a couple of days after completion and delivery of each of the said milestones.

Hiring company: I like company 1’s proposal and I choose him (done on the website project page). Next, I will pre-fund my escrow account tied to the project. This ensures that I have money to complete the project. But I also have total control of the prefunded account and will only release the funds per milestone to Company 1 if/when I’m satisfied with the completion of the particular milestone.

If there’s a dispute, the website owner will arbitrate using the contract between the Hiring Company and Company 1 as the guiding language to judge intent.

Further, every single company has a public profile that includes comments by prior clients about the service/quality of work received. Also, the total dollar value of the amount of work you’ve done in the past is in your profile.

As you can see, the opportunity for a 419 company to abscond with one’s money is relatively hard as long as due diligence is done by the hiring company. One has to review a company’s past performance to ensure that they’re not quacks.

Finally, I asked the question because I would rather hire a capable Nigerian company with a competitive bid and I’m sure that there are many of us out there.
Re: Welcome To My Office by netotse(m): 8:56pm On Nov 29, 2010
@wallie
I'm curious, why are you harping on companies? i know one guy that used to bid for jobs on them sites sha, he's extremely good(dont know if he still does the freelance thing though). This was back when we were in school, when we discussed it, he told me the indian programmers used to spoil market for everyone, apparently they like(d) to quote really low prices. He made a lot of money from that(i seem to remember the dude always being flush)

@yodiyokun
In addition to all wallie said, all them IP bans are for the uninitiated, any serious techie that wants to bid on IT jobs and would be stopped by something as mundane as a ban on Nigerian IP addresses is a joker!(heck it's possible to choose which country you want to appear as browsing from)

@thread
Told my boss i wouldn't be coming in early tomorrow, and the man proceeded to sharply call staff meeting for tomorrow morning(the admin babe called me to tell me) so that by the time the i get to the office they'll be done grin. . .me thinks the guy man doesn't want anyone to ask him questions. . .lol
Re: Welcome To My Office by Wallie(m): 9:14pm On Nov 29, 2010
netotse:

@wallie
I'm curious, why are you harping on companies? i know one guy that used to bid for jobs on them sites sha, he's extremely good(dont know if he still does the freelance thing though). This was back when we were in school, when we discussed it, he told me the indian programmers used to spoil market for everyone, apparently they like(d) to quote really low prices. He made a lot of money from that(i seem to remember the dude always being flush)

I guess because it increases the credibility and seriousness of the company to be employed. If I’m going to spend thousands of dollars outsourcing to an entity in a foreign land, I will feel better knowing that the entity has a name to protect. But you’re right; it doesn’t have to be companies.

lol @ spoiling market! That's the power of the free market but there should be no reason why Nigeria can't compete on price. The cost of business can't be that far off or can it?
Re: Welcome To My Office by netotse(m): 9:48pm On Nov 29, 2010
Wallie:

I guess because it increases the credibility and seriousness of the company to be employed. If I’m going to spend thousands of dollars outsourcing to an entity in a foreign land, I will feel better knowing that the entity has a name to protect. But you’re right; it doesn’t have to be companies.

lol @ spoiling market! That's the power of the free market but there should be no reason why Nigeria can't compete on price. The cost of business can't be that far off or can it?

A Nigerian worker is more likely to take longer to do the job than the indian, also electricity alone can make sure the nigerian worker has a higher overhead(we're not yet talking internet connection o)

Are you serious about looking for people to code for you? I could ask the dude if he'd be interested.(or better yet i'll ask for his profile address and paste it here)
Re: Welcome To My Office by cecegorz(m): 9:24am On Nov 30, 2010
Men, its that thing that makes the office thick at this time of the year!!!

13th Month cool  cool

End of year Parriezzz grin  grin

Things are already winding up.
Re: Welcome To My Office by AjanleKoko: 2:32pm On Nov 30, 2010
Wallie:

Simple answer. Nigerian companies are not bidding on jobs on those sites, period.
India has a lot of quantity, and they can produce pretty decent work. Nigerians are entrepreneural also, but you don't have too many technically sound people at home. Just like everything else, there is a premium on skilled labour costs in Nigeria, due to the many infrastructure challenges. There aren't even enough local software companies to meet the demand in the local market, talk less of collecting work from outsourcing abroad.

When I went to India, I was surprised to find that a wage of 15-20k rupees (averagely $350-400) is regarded as pretty good in India. That's about N60, 000 naira. Most people who have IT skills in Nigeria probably went to university, and will expect a much higher wage, working with more prestigious organizations. Also, India has very similar infrastructure and economic challenges to Nigeria, but the people are a lot more aggressive and entrepreneural.
Re: Welcome To My Office by yodiyokun(f): 4:23pm On Nov 30, 2010
@AJK,
you have alot of points there, there are not many technically sound people at home. You can't be technically sound from the pascal taught in Uni's. You have to love the stuff enough to learn current and new technologies, where to practise those technologies is another question, few organizations in Nigeria are sophisticated enuff for that. However in India, there is INFO sys, IBM etc. I knew India had moved far when I realised that huge companies in Canada and UK were outsourcing jobs to Infosys in India and even sponsoring work permit for Infosys employees.

@ topic
Working from home today, have multiple reports to deliver and xmas is coming soon. Going to observe my kid fpr 3 hours in KG today. I hope I survive all the noise ! lol!
Re: Welcome To My Office by Nobody: 5:04pm On Nov 30, 2010
cecegorz:

Men, its that thing that makes the office thick at this time of the year!!!

13th Month cool  cool

End of year Parriezzz grin  grin

Things are already winding up.

hello new LCD TV cheesy cheesy cheesy

(1) (2) (3) ... (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) ... (77) (Reply)

Top 10 Most Demanded Jobs In The Oil And Gas Industry / What Is The Average Salary Of A Nigerian Soldier? / ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.