Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,286 members, 7,811,855 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:25 PM

Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? - Politics (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? (35937 Views)

Buhari’s Military Action In Gambia Without Approval – Senator Chukwuka Utazi / Ekwueme: Aim Of The 1983 Coup Was To Stop Me From Emerging The President In 1987 / UK Warns Buhari Against Military Action In Niger Delta - Vanguard (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by duni04(m): 8:45am On Jan 21, 2015
datribune:

Hahahaha who is d ignorant one here. Re-read my posts & urs & see who is ignorant about d happenings back then. In my earlier post i enumerated d problems in d nigeria of 1983 so dat u can know dat d problem was beyond dat of corruption. d error u make is dat u trivialize d problem as being a problem of corruption. It was beyond corruption. It was about preventing d nation from sinking into chaos because of d economic situation brought about by d actions of profligate & corrupt politicians. drastic problems deserve drastic situations. Those countries u mentioned didn't hav d problem dat nigeria had. A country dat had a similar problem was Ghana & they adopted a more drastic solution than Nigeria did. Did Buhari's action help to save our country frm a descent into imminent anarchy & bring relief to hapless nigerians. U bet it did.
Ever heard of the great depression in 30s America? Do you know how poor Post war France and Britain were? Did American, French or British generals plot coups against their democratic governments then?
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by hayoakins(m): 8:57am On Jan 21, 2015
okpurukata:
MY PERSONAL GROUSE WITH GMB.

I remember clearly how the then civilian administrations as at 1982 we're competing with each other in various states to deliver the dividend of democracy. My little village somewhere in the eastern heartland had pipe borne water for the first time and it was jubilation. The long trek to the stream for buckets and can of water was over. Then the electric poles started shooting up. We were ecstatstic, imagining how we will soon enjoy electricity.

That fateful Sunday morning, the martial music started playing, my father and other adults were joyful - There was a military coup. A young officer named Buhari has come on board.

Fast forward to two years, the electric poles remained where the civilian administration left them. They started rotting away. The taps stopped flowing. The long trek to the stream resumed. Our people wished for the past days.

Those poles remained on the ground for seven long years. The community eventually started taxing every one. It took two years to raise the funds from poor folks, farmers, traders and even poor old widows to raise the funds to buy new poles, buy transformer and eventually there was light. The bitterness remains deep in my mind.

I have waited for years for an apology from GMB for truncating the democratic Govt that was almost about to give my people electricity but it never came.

This interview has further renewed old wounds. How, How on Earth can I vote this man?

He is back to right the wrong of the past. He also contributed to the collapse of the railway system in the South West but we are willing to give him a second chance as the two chances already given to GEJ seem like decades in HELL. Our rebased GDP is only on paper, NGN exchange rate continually heads down south, the youth are roaming the street without HOPE, foreign reserve being mismanaged and diverted for personal use.

Would you rather watch this corrupt administration continue and perhaps offer your beloved fatherland FOR SALE?

@Jarus may be able to educate you more on the reasons why we need the Return of the GENERAL without his Kaaki

1 Like

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by datribune: 9:08am On Jan 21, 2015
duni04:

Ever heard of the great depression in 30s America? Do you know how poor Post war France and Britain were? Did American, French or British generals plot coups against their democratic governments then?

Were d govts in America, France or Britain like d national party of nigeria dat was in power in nigeria in 1983?. No.
A country dat u can compare wit ours back then was Ghana & they adopted a more drastic solution. Buhari's action was patriotic & that's why decades later & inspite of vicious media attacks, people who knew d goings on back then still revere him very highly. They ar not ignorant. They know what u don't know.
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by hahn(m): 9:18am On Jan 21, 2015
Seun:

He has not accepted that he made a mistake. If you don't admit your mistakes and correct them, you will keep making them.

A cynical person would say that the reason he is doing all this is because he no longer has the military capability to take power by force.

Look, I have decided that it may not be bad to have change, but we need to understand the new man before giving him dominion over us.

Brother, he didn't make any mistake. At the time, military coups were the norm because Nigeria as a nation was still unsure of their footings. Obasanjo also led a coup but I didn't hear this much argument over him being sworn into civilian power at the time, most likely because Nigerians were just being introduced to democracy. I'd say he way really nationalistic to have overthorwn a corrupt government because it was obvious that the politicians were going to run the country dry. The same thing is being replicated by this PDP administration and as fate would have it, Buhari is now trying to do the same thing but in a more civil way. This administration is corrupt, shikena. APC is corrupt too but I personally feel that if we can get PDP out of power the elites will realise that the power is now back in the hands of the people. And also, the electorates will now be more aware of their power and with time will start demanding the same at the state and local goverment levels.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by Nobody: 9:40am On Jan 21, 2015
joseph1832:
Freedom of the press? Please listen to yourself, which military regime have ever allowed press freedom. The shutting up of the press is a basic characteristic of any military regime, be it in Nigeria or outside Nigeria.

I wouldn't know about your parents but I know I had food on my table, my father never failed to provide for his family. So did many of my neighbours then.

Please continue....

The APC only field GMB because he's the only person who can go wrestle the PDP one on one, he proved that during the 2011 presidential election.

So my good man, what on Earth are you talking about eh.

I think it's quite hypocritical for you to ask her not to use her village as an example to speak against the 1983 coup while you have no qualms using your neighborhood as a yardstick in favour of the military.

That coup was a big mistake, period.
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by Nobody: 9:43am On Jan 21, 2015
desdichando:
Wow,seun have they gotten to u too? I hope no 1 threatened u to support them or root for them.hope no 1 is blacksmailing u
This ur complete volte face is absolutely stunning I must say.
Beeen d owner of nairaland and a voice of reason for so many peopl, I would think therer r some things u shouldn't be spewing forth here..anyways,I can only say I'm jst disappointed sad

You are "disappointed" because his opinion differs from yours?
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by joseph1832(m): 10:58am On Jan 21, 2015
HNosegbe:

I think it's quite hypocritical for you to ask her not to use her village as an example to speak against the 1983 coup while you have no qualms using your neighborhood as a yardstick in favour of the military.

That coup was a big mistake, period.
I am surprised you fail to see the point being made. If she can use her village as a yardstick to speak against the coup why can't I use mine to speak for it?.

If according to you, the coup was a mistake, to me, its not!. Period!.
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by Nobody: 11:10am On Jan 21, 2015
I'm disappointd because my idea of a 'seun' is this young wise much wiser beyond his age and who should serve more as a voice of reason/caution,not taking sides even though I'm sure he has his own personal opinion..he should serve like an umpire/moderator in sensitive issues like this..a million followers follow him and so it wouldn't b fair him taking sides in this naija quagmire
As spiderman's uncle says, 'with great power comes great responsibility'
HNosegbe:

You are "disappointed" because his opinion differs from yours?
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by Nobody: 11:35am On Jan 21, 2015
desdichando:
I'm disappointd because my idea of a 'seun' is this young wise much wiser beyond his age and who should serve more as a voice of reason/caution,not taking sides even though I'm sure he has his own personal opinion..he should serve like an umpire/moderator in sensitive issues like this..a million followers follow him and so it wouldn't b fair him taking sides in this naija quagmire
As spiderman's uncle says, 'with great power comes great responsibility'

Seun is first and foremost a Nigerian. He was a Nigerian before he set up Nairaland. He has dreams, aspirations and desires. I'm sure he has his own views and he is PERFECTLY free to express them. There's no reason why he can't speak freely about issues he feels strongly about. Leave him be.

Meanwhile would you have posted this if Seun had expressed agreement with Buhari's position?

3 Likes

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by nellyjohn: 1:10pm On Jan 21, 2015
No military coup in Nigeria again. Just 4get abt dat ur 1983 coup. One thing I believe is dat weda civilian or military, dere will always be corruption. Besides, what worked in 1983 won't work dis year. Besides, y are u stil talking abt politics in dis ur age when u are supposed to be resting and allow d rightful people to rule? How can some one who ruled 32 years ago wants to come back and become d president. Honestly, d youths are no more leaders of 2moro becos our father's keep being d leader even after 32 years
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by 9jagistonline(m): 5:35pm On Jan 21, 2015
That is our president to be in action
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by honeyseller291(m): 6:39pm On Jan 21, 2015
Buhari or. GMB u have f9 in maths and u want to manage our economy?
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by fuckerholic(m): 7:25pm On Jan 21, 2015
peckhamboi:
Seun, why are you bringing this irrelevant issue up at this time.

The coup happened over 30 years ago and I remember vividly there were wild jubiliation all over the country after the coup.

I personally was happy that there was a coup at that point in time because the level of looting was the same as Jonathan's administration.

You were happy that there was a coup ? And you were supose to be an adult by then and still here in nairaland at this your age ranting ? No wonder you are not moving forward..pls guys ignore him he is an old fool like the general
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by notoriousbabe: 10:56pm On Jan 21, 2015
iykofias:
hehehe, easy o. No wan hear sey e ban u
I go register anoda name
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by iykofias(m): 11:11pm On Jan 21, 2015
notoriousbabe:
I go register anoda name
u rep ur monicker
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by notoriousbabe: 9:38am On Jan 22, 2015
iykofias:
u rep ur monicker
yes now
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by Nobody: 12:44pm On Jan 22, 2015
Seun:

He has not accepted that he made a mistake. If you don't admit your mistakes and correct them, you will keep making them.

A cynical person would say that the reason he is doing all this is because he no longer has the military capability to take power by force.

Look, I have decided that it may not be bad to have change, but we need to understand the new man before giving him dominion over us.
Did anyone understand GEJ before giving him dominion over us? NO... Because you burnt a pot of delicious soup put in your care by your mother doesnt mean you will burn it again... U can Quote me but no insults please... No be fight...

1 Like

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by ignatusamson: 1:53pm On Jan 22, 2015
If GMB steps in as the president of Nigeria just know that our lives is not safe...have that at the back of your mind...GEJ all the way
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by ignatusamson: 1:57pm On Jan 22, 2015
Honeyseller I wonder how he will be able to make it then....lol
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by ignatusamson: 1:59pm On Jan 22, 2015
Let's tell ourselves the truth buhari can't make it as a president..it will be a thing of disgrace
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by ignatusamson: 2:05pm On Jan 22, 2015
If GMB becomes the president of Nigeria
1..we will lose all our economic value.
2..he doesn't speak good English therefore he can not communicate with the foreign business
3..Nigeria will be divided...
Let's use our head well

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Zuriel Oduwole Meets Kolinda Grabar-Kitarović, Croatia's First Female President / Pro-buhari Senators Relocate To Sheraton To Begin Impeachment Of Saraki / How Video Documentary On Massacre By Soldiers In Nigeria Was Created - NY Times

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.