Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,308 members, 7,811,916 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:30 PM

Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? (35938 Views)

Buhari’s Military Action In Gambia Without Approval – Senator Chukwuka Utazi / Ekwueme: Aim Of The 1983 Coup Was To Stop Me From Emerging The President In 1987 / UK Warns Buhari Against Military Action In Niger Delta - Vanguard (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by rexzqcom(m): 12:13am On Jan 21, 2015
Coup plotter like buhari should be banned for life from participating in civil democracy.

4 Likes

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by predentstats: 12:22am On Jan 21, 2015
tobex23:
Seun, Comprehend...!
Buhari didn't say it is okay now,
He gave an answer to a question he was asked about a case as far back as 1983,

Corruption was the order the day then, and fact is, it is now the order of the day under the current administration, buhari did what he could to reduce the rate at which corrupt practices was high then, now we want him again, why? Because this same administration is CORRUPT! Very corrupt in all sectors.

With what you said here; "Incidentally, many people believe that the current government is also corrupt"
It can also be said that you don't believe this government is corrupt yeah?

Stop reasoning upside down, just to satisfy your pay.

Only difference between now and then is, he is going to be our PRESIDENT by our votes, not through a coup all in a bid to save the future of our country.

Are you justifying military rule as a measure to curb corruption?

Then Obasanjo's administration of 1999 should have been cut short an by now we will still be under dictatorship.

Lets leave sentiment and face face truth.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by datribune: 12:23am On Jan 21, 2015
duni04:

Someone is posting this in the 21st century? I don't think Nigerians have learnt the real lessons from the turbulent periods of the 80s and 90s. Institutions are fundamental to the growth and development of any country. Everytime an institution is able to surmount a trial or test, it re enforces belief in the strength and absoluteness of such institution. Everytime an institution caves in after a trial or test, belief in such institution fades. We need a democratic culture that is entrenched in the hearts and minds of people. A belief that every Nigerian has a say in who governs the country. This is a concept Buhari did'nt get in 1983 and still doesn't get in 2015, going by his responses in that interview.
Corruption, Nepotism, bribery, whaterer! Nothing at all justifies usurping a fledging democratic culture. If Buhari still doesn't get it in 2015, he has no business in Aso rock.

How clueless can anyone be to refer to Shagari's govt as a democracy. It was a kleptocracy consisting of d worst set of criminals masquerading as politicians who looted our nation to bankruptcy in d worst recession in our history. d thieving politicians particularly of d NPN, looted d nation to d extent dat no one would borrow d heavily indebted Nigeria any more money. There was no food, no money. Soap, milk, sugar etc popularly called essential commodities disappeared from d shelves just like in Zimbabwe. d federal govt could not pay staff salaries. Few states were able to apply d IMO FORMULA - (half salary) pioneered by Kalu Idika Kalu d then Imo state comm 4 finance. Multinationals like kingsway, UTC, PZ etc left d country. Daily more people became unemployed. In short d economy collapsed. There was utter chaos & tension as more & more people joined d queue of d unemployed. No food, no jobs, no salaries. d nation was a time bomb & a descent to anarchy was imminent. U ar talking of institutions. smh. Is it not when u hav a nation dat u will talk of institutions?. Pls don't thru ignorance of happenings back then trivialize what was a serious national emergency. d reason why knowledgeable people revere GMB even today is because they know dat in 1983 Nigeria was d better because of Buhari's coup. I told u what Ghana did to those dat landed them in a similar position. Is Ghana not d better because of Rawlings actions?. Pls don't defend thieves.
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by sistrunk: 12:27am On Jan 21, 2015
mymadam:

Military coup in 2015? A big NO! However, it is fair to say that, that WAS 1983... now dead and gone! Nigerians - both civilian & military - are politically wiser now. Hindsight has shown that the worse civilian government is always generally better than the best military government. "Woe betide a country where power lies down the barrel of a 'bleeding' gun". No to military coups in my beloved country. However, one thing is very obvious in Nigeria today... the wind of change is blowing. Shikena! God bless Nigeria.

Shikena shikena shikena oh..levels don chng naw am 10/10 in neato c's voice!!
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by datribune: 12:59am On Jan 21, 2015
eaglechild:

On what basis?

Do you realize that during military rule particularly during Buhari's REGIME, all forms of free press was stifled.

Absolutely no information on the workings of the government was made public and everyone was in the dark, you believe what you are told North Korea style.

Anyone who as much as whispered against the government was jailed.

Buhari left the country in a much worse economic state than he met it so what is good about that

U insult d concept of democracy when u refer to our govt as a democracy. It is more of a kleptocracy & a govt by thieves. If GMB's govt was not good why do d elders who having experienced both GMB's dictatorship & GEJ's democracy yearn wit nostalgia 4 a return to d good old days?.
How transparent is dis government?.
Buhari came to power in d worst economic recession in our history but thru his ingenuity he turned d economy around & made d nation buoyant once again. d politicians of d Shagari era within 4 yrs, 3 months squandered d reserves handed down to them by d OBJ military govt. They looted d treasury to bankruptcy & left d nation wit an unprecedented debt burden. Some of dis debts were paid by d Buhari govt & d rest paid off by OBJ recently.
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by rexzqcom(m): 1:46am On Jan 21, 2015
If our present constitution was drafted and adapted without military influences, it would have included a constitutional provisions to BAN all coup plotters for life from participating in civil democracy as a deterrent against future coup plots. An amendments to that effect is not late for consideration.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by sethken: 2:38am On Jan 21, 2015
dridowu:
If military coup will stop corruption, i support.
If military coup will improve our health sector , i support.
If milatary coup will improve our education system , i support.
If military coup will bring peace, happiness, joy and unity to the common man like me , then i have no choice than to support .
#FeBuhari14
#TeamChangeNigeria4Good

The worst civilian administration under a democratic rule is better than the best military dictatorship. The military take over of 1983 set Nigeria back 20 years. We had better institutions and infrastructure back then. Democracies every where make mistakes, and should be allowed to correct itself. A democratic government should not be over thrown by some zealot military officer who believes that he is the god of anti-corruption. At the end of the day, it is all false. The military steal power to continue the pillage unquestioned and unopposed. You cannot wrestle power from the people with a barrel of gun, if you do, you are a thief.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by naijaking1: 2:51am On Jan 21, 2015
datribune:

How clueless can anyone be to refer to Shagari's govt as a democracy. It was a kleptocracy consisting of d worst set of criminals masquerading as politicians who looted our nation to bankruptcy in d worst recession in our history. d thieving politicians particularly of d NPN, looted d nation to d extent dat no one would borrow d heavily indebted Nigeria any more money. There was no food, no money. Soap, milk, sugar etc popularly called essential commodities disappeared from d shelves just like in Zimbabwe. d federal govt could not pay staff salaries. Few states were able to apply d IMO FORMULA - (half salary) pioneered by Kalu Idika Kalu d then Imo state comm 4 finance. Multinationals like kingsway, UTC, PZ etc left d country. Daily more people became unemployed. In short d economy collapsed. There was utter chaos & tension as more & more people joined d queue of d unemployed. No food, no jobs, no salaries. d nation was a time bomb & a descent to anarchy was imminent. U ar talking of institutions. smh. Is it not when u hav a nation dat u will talk of institutions?. Pls don't thru ignorance of happenings back then trivialize what was a serious national emergency. d reason why knowledgeable people revere GMB even today is because they know dat in 1983 Nigeria was d better because of Buhari's coup. I told u what Ghana did to those dat landed them in a similar position. Is Ghana not d better because of Rawlings actions?. Pls don't defend thieves.

Like to see you defend the overthrow of the equally corrupt Tafawa Balewa government. Go on!

1 Like

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by neocortex: 3:38am On Jan 21, 2015
dridowu:
If military coup will stop corruption, i support.
If military coup will improve our health sector , i support.
If milatary coup will improve our education system , i support.
If military coup will bring peace, happiness, joy and unity to the common man like me , then i have no choice than to support .
#FeBuhari14
#TeamChangeNigeria4Good

Unfortunately, the military failed to achieve all those things you listed. The closest they could do is mobilize Nigerians against one another in the civil war.

He who sacrifices his freedom for temporary security deserves neither liberty nor security and will get none - Benjamin Franklin

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by neocortex: 3:41am On Jan 21, 2015
Seun:
No democracy in the world isn't constantly abused. No democracy is free of corruption. All mature democracies have faced these problems.

And are still facing.
Just as the fight against evil is an existential fight , anti-corruption strategies goes on forever. No one except the myopic can declare victory.

1 Like

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by ISpiksDaTroof: 4:08am On Jan 21, 2015
ApexTitan:

Nonsense. No democratic society has provisions or makes allowance for the forceful takeover of government by the military.

Talk about what you know.

Just a friendly advice.
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by ISpiksDaTroof: 4:23am On Jan 21, 2015
MansaMoussa:

No Sir! Because the instability that would ensue from such coup would worsen the situation in the NE (the Mali situation)! Secondly, We lack enough Military Cohesion to sustain a violent Regime change today! Thirdly, with worsening Economic situation for the country, Western Sanctions would be disastrous for us! Fourthly, the Political Landscape appears Matured enough to effect a peaceful change(if PDP and APC pull this off, they'll go into history as setting the foundations of a Democratic Nigeria)!
So no Sir! I wouldn't support a Coup in Nigeria today, but would probably have supported one in the 1960s, 70s and 80s because I saw Egypt, Brazil, Argentina, Libya, etc move forward under military regimes then!

End of story!!!
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by Nobody: 4:55am On Jan 21, 2015
safarigal:
*singing* story for the gods, the gods o.

First off, how many times will they tell you Government students that Buhari was not the man who led the coup? Why do you all keep blaming Buhari for this coup?

The army plotted the militay coup and Buhari who was in Jos when it occurred, was called upon to fill a role he wasn't meant to occupy.....a lot like the story of Jonah today.

The person slated to take the role (the main person who led the coup), Boro, was killed in action....so stop blaming Buhari for your woes
But it has since been established that Buhari attended clandestine coup meetings. Even OBJ had advance knowledge of the coup.
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by MansaMoussa: 6:11am On Jan 21, 2015
HNosegbe:

Fair point you make, but Blaise Campaore has finally been pushed out by the Burkinabes, hasn't he? Had Campaore been a military dictator do you think he would have rolled over that easy? People power is relevant, and it can be better expressed where there is a semblance of democracy no matter how imperfect.

At least in the cases you highlighted the civilian dictators couldn't have relied on brute force alone. They can use state resources to maintain patronage networks which can be used as leverage, true, but that doesn't sound as bad as repressive military regimes that silence all opposition. At least these ones tend to bribe their opponents rather than kill them. grin

Jokes apart, I still think we could have wriggled through that dark period without resorting to military intervention.

Honestly, I still think the Burkinabe Military should get 60% of the Credit! If they had not turned against the Regime, what chances do you think the Civilian Protesters must have had? In a hypocritical world as ours today, a thousand Burkinabes would've been mowed down by Security forces during the demonstration and all we would have heard is international condemnations.
Compaore fled when it was clear to him that he had lost military support! And the Burkinabes know this, that is why they rewarded Col. Zida by electing him as head of the Interim Govt.
So you see, once the military affirms itself as protectors of the people, civilian regimes become more careful!
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by Nobody: 6:27am On Jan 21, 2015
BlackTechnology:

See this SW APC member calling for coup

SS people see your real enemies

Quid see this coup lover
I see am my brother.
What do u expect from APC that sounds like OPC and is led by area father bola tinubu?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by banky0503(m): 6:48am On Jan 21, 2015
peckhamboi:
Seun, why are you bringing this irrelevant issue up at this time.

The coup happened over 30 years ago and I remember vividly there were wild jubiliation all over the country after the coup.

I personally was happy that there was a coup at that point in time because the level of looting was the same as Jonathan's administration.

you were happy then because you don't know better, i dont think u will now bro.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by joseph1832(m): 6:58am On Jan 21, 2015
okpurukata:
MY PERSONAL GROUSE WITH GMB.

I remember clearly how the then civilian administrations as at 1982 we're competing with each other in various states to deliver the dividend of democracy. My little village somewhere in the eastern heartland had pipe borne water for the first time and it was jubilation. The long trek to the stream for buckets and can of water was over. Then the electric poles started shooting up. We were ecstatstic, imagining how we will soon enjoy electricity.

That fateful Sunday morning, the martial music started playing, my father and other adults were joyful - There was a military coup. A young officer named Buhari has come on board.

Fast forward to two years, the electric poles remained where the civilian administration left them. They started rotting away. The taps stopped flowing. The long trek to the stream resumed. Our people wished for the past days.

Those poles remained on the ground for seven long years. The community eventually started taxing every one. It took two years to raise the funds from poor folks, farmers, traders and even poor old widows to raise the funds to buy new poles, buy transformer and eventually there was light. The bitterness remains deep in my mind.

I have waited for years for an apology from GMB for truncating the democratic Govt that was almost about to give my people electricity but it never came.

This interview has further renewed old wounds. How, How on Earth can I vote this man?
Democracy is not about you or your village, its about we all as a people collectively and compactly.

You never bordered to ask why you father and others were joyful when the martial music started playing did you?.
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by okpurukata(f): 7:13am On Jan 21, 2015
joseph1832:
Democracy is not about you or your village, its about we all as a people collectively and compactly.

You never bordered to ask why you father and others were joyful when the martial music started playing did you?.

Why did the jubilations cease within a matter of months. Mr man, democracy is a is about my village, your village, and everyone's village.

Try another line abeg.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by joseph1832(m): 7:25am On Jan 21, 2015
okpurukata:

Why did the jubilations cease within a matter of months. Mr man, democracy is a is about my village, your village, and everyone's village.

Try another line abeg.
Then you should have thought of that before you use your village as a yardstick.

Where did the jubilation cease? Kindly tell me please, I quiver to know.
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by okpurukata(f): 7:34am On Jan 21, 2015
joseph1832:
Then you should have thought of that before you use your village as a yardstick.

In addition to my village, it ceased among the press, where press freedom became a taboo. It ceased with the cancellation of the Lagos metro line. It ceased with the various senseless executions.

To crown it all, my parents had to queue for food now termed "essential commodities".

Should I continue.

Let me state here that APC could have done better than Buhari. There are more erudite bright Northerners than this guy.

1 Like

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by ApexTitan(m): 7:35am On Jan 21, 2015
ISpiksDaTroof:

Talk about what you know.

Just a friendly advice.

Thanks for the advice, I always endeavour to restrict my discussions to matters that I'm fairly knowledgeable in. In subjects that are outside my scope my participation takes on the form of questions and inquiries.

That said I know for certain that your comment earlier was totally incorrect; the US constitution does not make room for a forceful takeover of government by the military. Where did you get that from?
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by BlackTechnology: 7:37am On Jan 21, 2015
okpurukata:

Try another line abeg.

Is so disgusting and highly irritating that the so called educated SW will be praising a felony like coup

Awo's free education was a waste. angry

joseph1832:

Any coup against GEJ government will see Nigeria breakup and the SS/SE/MB being an eternal enemies of your region.

We will forever be in the state of war. angry
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by duni04(m): 7:38am On Jan 21, 2015
datribune:

U are just stubbornly ignorant. You have refused to allow common sense sink into ur brain! Nigeria is the only country in the world that has had terribly corrupt regimes? They've never had such in Britain, the US or France? Did the military generals in those countries stage coups to "Rescue" the people from the corruption? Please use ur head and get the point. Stop being dogmatic and sentimental.

1 Like

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by BlackTechnology: 7:41am On Jan 21, 2015
ApexTitan:

Thanks for the advice, I always endeavour to restrict my discussions to matters that I'm fairly knowledgeable in. In subjects that are outside my scope my participation takes on the form of questions and inquiries.

That said I know for certain that your comment earlier was totally incorrect; the US constitution does not make room for a forceful takeover of government by the military. Where did you get that from?

Don't mind the educated illiterate

You should have asked him why the US military had never plotted a coup

In short, the US encouraged arms possession as a means to deter coup plotters and not encourage them

I pity SW region if any coup takes place

Their region will be burn to the ground for any coup instigated by them.
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by BlackTechnology: 7:45am On Jan 21, 2015
duni04:

U are just stubbornly ignorant. You have refused to allow common sense sink into ur brain! Nigeria is the only country in the world that has had terribly corrupt regimes? They've never had such in Britain, the US or France? Did the military generals in those countries stage coups to "Rescue" the people from the corruption? Please use ur head and get the point. Stop being dogmatic and sentimental.

Gbam

Let them be inciting a coup.

One thing is sure and that being that SW will be wiped off if any coup takes place because of them

War War War

Blood will flow angry
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by BlackTechnology: 7:50am On Jan 21, 2015
naijaking1:

Like to see you defend the overthrow of the equally corrupt Tafawa Balewa government. Go on!

The way Igbos were killed for the overthrow of Tafawa 's government so shall the SW be destroyed in their land for any coup instigated by them against GEJ angry

MansaMoussa:

Honestly, I still think the Burkinabe Military should get 60% of the Credit! If they had not turned against the Regime, what chances do you think the Civilian Protesters must have had? In a hypocritical world as ours today, a thousand Burkinabes would've been mowed down by Security forces during the demonstration and all we would have heard is international condemnations.
Compaore fled when it was clear to him that he had lost military support! And the Burkinabes know this, that is why they rewarded Col. Zida by electing him as head of the Interim Govt.
So you see, once the military affirms itself as protectors of the people, civilian regimes become more careful!
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by joseph1832(m): 7:54am On Jan 21, 2015
okpurukata:

In addition to my village, it ceased among the press, where press freedom became a taboo. It ceased with the cancellation of the Lagos metro line. It ceased with the various senseless executions.

To crown it all, my parents had to queue for food now termed "essential commodities".

Should I continue.

Let me state here that APC could have done better than Buhari. There are more erudite bright Northerners than this guy.
Freedom of the press? Please listen to yourself, which military regime have ever allowed press freedom. The shutting up of the press is a basic characteristic of any military regime, be it in Nigeria or outside Nigeria.

I wouldn't know about your parents but I know I had food on my table, my father never failed to provide for his family. So did many of my neighbours then.

Please continue....

The APC only field GMB because he's the only person who can go wrestle the PDP one on one, he proved that during the 2011 presidential election.

So my good man, what on Earth are you talking about eh.
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by Okikiade(m): 8:00am On Jan 21, 2015
[b][/b]Military Rule's an abberation! Buhari should appologize for the truncation of elected government! He & his co-hort should 've been a deterrent instruments not an ursuper! The devil you know is better than "unproving angel"; we should beware of wolf in sheep's clothing! #GodknowsBest #GodGuides
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by iykofias(m): 8:16am On Jan 21, 2015
jingh:
lolz so it doesn't make a difference anymore
ya, afterall dia r worse tins in lyf
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by iykofias(m): 8:20am On Jan 21, 2015
notoriousbabe:
na him now,dat guy own too much,every litu thing na to ban person,him just dey behave like a village headmaster,mtcheeeeew
hehehe, easy o. No wan hear sey e ban u
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by datribune: 8:35am On Jan 21, 2015
duni04:

Hahahaha who is d ignorant one here. Re-read my posts & urs & see who is ignorant about d happenings back then. In my earlier post i enumerated d problems in d nigeria of 1983 so dat u can know dat d problem was beyond dat of corruption. d error u make is dat u trivialize d problem as being a problem of corruption. It was beyond corruption. It was about preventing d nation from sinking into chaos because of d economic situation brought about by d actions of profligate & corrupt politicians. drastic problems deserve drastic situations. Those countries u mentioned didn't hav d problem dat nigeria had. A country dat had a similar problem was Ghana & they adopted a more drastic solution than Nigeria did. Did Buhari's action help to save our country frm a descent into imminent anarchy & bring relief to hapless nigerians?. U bet it did.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

How Video Documentary On Massacre By Soldiers In Nigeria Was Created - NY Times / Felix Obuah: Expelling Oshiomhole From APC Can Lead To Suicide / Ben Murray Bruce Praises President Bola Tinubu For Floating The Naira

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.