Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,380 members, 7,812,112 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:29 AM

Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? (35943 Views)

Buhari’s Military Action In Gambia Without Approval – Senator Chukwuka Utazi / Ekwueme: Aim Of The 1983 Coup Was To Stop Me From Emerging The President In 1987 / UK Warns Buhari Against Military Action In Niger Delta - Vanguard (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by Descartes: 1:15pm On Jan 20, 2015
An average Hausa/fulani man finds it difficult to apologise and Buhari is not an exception.
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by customized07: 1:32pm On Jan 20, 2015
fkaz:

If his true colour is to deal with corrupt politician, let him unleash it on them.
like tinubu and atiku who are currently his moneybag right?

9 Likes

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by Kolade354(m): 1:56pm On Jan 20, 2015
No comment..................I have decided to follow buhari,to follow osibanjo,to follow APC,to be loyal,honest and patriotic...................I told seun earlier get ready for broom revolution.

4 Likes

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by timawoku(m): 2:18pm On Jan 20, 2015
akinlex:
this will surely make fp
for shizzle, faster than lalasticlala fp speed, abeg make I spread mat here jawe...
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by Davo93(m): 2:31pm On Jan 20, 2015
Seun:

So he still believes it is ok for the military to overthrow a democratic government if the democratic government is corrupt. Incidentally, many people believe that the current government is also corrupt. If the General's view is right, then a military coup in 2015 is justified...

Do you agree? undecided (I strongly disagree because dictatorship is a greater evil than corruption. You can fight corruption within democracy)
This is one of those areas I have issues with Mr Buhari. Much more than he not been apologetic about what he did back then, I want to be sure if this man believes in Democracy. The same military man that truncated a democratic setting of a nation because he felt it was corrupt now wants to democratically rule the same nation. Mehn, Nigerians are not fools!

Like you suggested, Mr Buhari could have mobilized some of his children(today's military heads) to take after him and solve the corruption problem we have in this nation. Probably GMB now understands that decadence in a democratic system can be solved in a democratic way?!

I will continue to say that the sole reason why many of us may consider voting Buhari in the next poll is just because GEJ is unapologetically condoning corruption. Thus, most of our resources are lost to that course. We believe corruption level will reduce for the mean time when GMB comes on board.

Notwithstanding, I will continue to tell Buharists that GMB is not a Saint like many of his warriors portray him.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by Akanbiedu(m): 2:39pm On Jan 20, 2015
Yeye dey smell here.
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by LouisVanGaal(m): 2:42pm On Jan 20, 2015
Oga seun, what's the usefulness of democracy, when its constantly abused...of what purpose is itundecided

You see how the rate of corruption is high, how the DSS and military men abused or rough handled law makers late last year and so on?

Stop using it as an excuse Sir...we're already in the 16th consecutive year of democracy...what have we benefited from it? One can make bold to state IF the power sector is still okay or not..

We're NOT practicing true democracy here, as the Americans!

2 Likes

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by ba7man(m): 2:44pm On Jan 20, 2015
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by Nobody: 2:44pm On Jan 20, 2015
Corruption does not justify military action. Especially when the military itself becomes an incarnation of corruption.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by philips70(m): 2:59pm On Jan 20, 2015
Seun:

He has not accepted that he made a mistake. If you don't admit your mistakes and correct them, you will keep making them.

A cynical person would say that the reason he is doing all this is because he no longer has the military capability to take power by force.

Look, I have decided that it may not be bad to have change, but we need to understand the new man before giving him dominion over us.

Seun, but why not see this man in his uprightness to judge his personality? Do you know it would have made sense to him if he says he was not directly among the coup planners but was brought in to give it credence because of his antecedents? Please dig up all available facts about that 31st Dec 1983 coup and digest them very well. Some of us where wise then and it is an assailable fact Buhari did not participate in that coup. He was not even part of the plan. But for him to continue to own up shows some level of integrity on his part. Secondly, I watched the session and he continued saying the decision to overthrow the Shagari regime was very much in order as at that time. When asked about now, he took them back again. Standing by your words is a hallmark of integrity and you know military men of yore are well known for that. Olokulade and Badeh them don destroy our military by telling bare faced lies.grin grin

7 Likes

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by Nobody: 3:03pm On Jan 20, 2015
philips70:

Seun, but why not see this man in his uprightness to judge his personality? Do you know it would have made sense to him if he says he was not directly among the coup planners but was brought in to give it credence because of his antecedents? Please dig up all available facts about that 31st Dec 1983 coup and digest them very well. Some of us where wise then and it is an assailable fact Buhari did not participate in that coup. He was not even part of the plan. But for him to continue to own up shows some level of integrity on his part. Secondly, I watched the session and he continued saying the decision to overthrow the Shagari regime was very much in order as at that time. When asked about now he took them back again. Standing by your words is a hallmark of integrity and you know military men of yore are well known for that. Olokulade and Badeh them don destroy our military by telling bare faced lies.grin grin
Coup d'etat is a treasonable felony.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by Tomoarika(m): 3:08pm On Jan 20, 2015
There are times when one makes difficult decisions in the interest of the greater good.

I personally do not ascribe to this "the worst democracy is better than the best military Govt".
What is bad is bad, there's no point sugar-coating it!
Col Gamel Nasser is considered as one of the best leaders of Egypt and he came into power through a military coup, same for Jerry Rawlings in Ghana.

We are lucky to be in an era where democracy is the flavour of the month unlike then which was the time of revolutions (both civilian and military).

Corruption was widespread during the 2nd Republic and the same cannot be said for the very strict Military Govt that replaced it.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by Seun(m): 3:09pm On Jan 20, 2015
LouisVanGaal:
Oga seun, what's the usefulness of democracy, when its constantly abused...of what purpose is itundecided
No democracy in the world isn't constantly abused. No democracy is free of corruption. All mature democracies have faced these problems.

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by Nobody: 3:11pm On Jan 20, 2015
Tomoarika:
There are times when one makes difficult decisions in the interest of the greater good.

I personally do not ascribe to this "the worst democracy is better than the best military Govt".
What is bad is bad, there's no point sugar-coating it!
Col Gamel Nasser is considered as one of the best leaders of Egypt and he came into power through a military coup, same for Jerry Rawlings in Ghana.

We are lucky to be in an era where democracy is the flavour of the month unlike then which was the time of revolutions (both civilian and military).

Corruption was widespread during the 2nd Republic and the same cannot be said for the very strict Military Govt that replaced it.
IBBs military regime enthroned corruption and systematized it.
It was known as "government by settlement"

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by Fortifive: 3:14pm On Jan 20, 2015
This thread looks like Nairaland of 2007 when commentators were sane and talked with maturity.

7 Likes

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by Lilimax(f): 3:17pm On Jan 20, 2015
quid:
Corruption does not justify military action. Especially when the military itself becomes an incarnation of corruption.
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by alienvirus: 3:24pm On Jan 20, 2015
Kolade354:
No comment..................I have decided to follow buhari,to follow osibanjo,to follow APC,to be loyal,honest and patriotic...................I told seun earlier get ready for broom revolution.
Seriously? Hope NL will not be swept with broom sha.

1 Like

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by alienvirus: 3:25pm On Jan 20, 2015
Fortifive:
This thread looks like Nairaland of 2007 when commentators were sane and talked with maturity.
Are you saying you are one of the earliest guys here undecided
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by OgologoDimkpa: 3:26pm On Jan 20, 2015
Among all of them shouting Change in APC, tell me who is not corrupt
Tinubu is corruption personified as he has bought over Lagos.

Buhari once told us that he has just I million naira in his bank account whereas his c
hildren are gallivanting all over Europe.

I am not just comfortable with Buhari's quest to grab power at al cost.
He has an ulterior motive which no other person knows.

We'll resist him with eveything we have.
He'll never smell ASo Rock , mark my wordsad

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by Nobody: 3:30pm On Jan 20, 2015
Agreed. Buhari also has his array of bullet proof jeeps.
Buhari shld stop parading himself as the holy one.
No one involved in Nigerian politics has clean hands.
Na manage we dey manage all of them

Tinubu the godfather of buhari is the epitome of corruption
OgologoDimkpa:
Among all of them shouting Change in APC, tell me who is not corrupt
Tinubu is corruption personified as he has bought over Lagos.

Buhari once told us that he has just I million naira in his bank account whereas his c
hildren are gallivanting all over Europe.

I am not just comfortable with Buhari's quest to grab power at al cost.
He has an ulterior motive which no other person knows.

We'll resist him with eveything we have.
He'll never smell ASo Rock , mark my wordsad

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by Nobody: 3:32pm On Jan 20, 2015
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by Nobody: 3:33pm On Jan 20, 2015
Seun:
From his recent Channels TV Interview:

Are you sorry for bringing to an end the Shagari government?

GMB: No, I'm not sorry, because I mentioned why we did it, and we proved our case.

That's a democratic process that could have extended.

GMB: So when you are a democracy you are entitled to steal your treasury dry, and put your people into pauperized positions, and destroy institutions, and destroy infrastructure?

So you blame Shagari for that coup?

GMB: Don't personalize. I'll blame the second republic...

For that?

GMB: For that. And when we came out we told the nation why and we conducted enquiries, documentary ones, not just hearsay.

Source:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_487PhkxUQ (start at 5:37)

So he still believes it is ok for the military to overthrow a democratic government if the democratic government is corrupt. Incidentally, many people believe that the current government is also corrupt. If the General's view is right, then a military coup in 2015 is justified...

Do you agree? undecided (I strongly disagree because dictatorship is a greater evil than corruption. You can fight corruption within democracy)

My brother, please why is this not on front page yet? Please what are you waiting for? undecided
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by Nobody: 3:35pm On Jan 20, 2015
philips70:

[[s]b]Seun, but why not see this man in his uprightness to judge his personality? Do you know it would have made sense to him if he says he was not directly among the coup planners but was brought in to give it credence because of his antecedents? Please dig up all available facts about that 31st Dec 1983 coup and digest them very well. Some of us where wise then and it is an assailable fact Buhari did not participate in that coup. He was not even part of the plan. But for him to continue to own up shows some level of integrity on his part. Secondly, I watched the session and he continued saying the decision to overthrow the Shagari regime was very much in order as at that time. When asked about now, he took them back again. Standing by your words is a hallmark of integrity and you know military men of yore are well known for that. Olokulade and Badeh them don destroy our military by telling bare faced lies.[/b]grin grin[/s]

All these lies and diversion will not work, we don't need your bokobinhari. embarassed

7 Likes

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by coolhamid(m): 3:40pm On Jan 20, 2015
Mr seun, You have been so bias recently. Within the last few weeks, you and your mods brought lots of anti- buhari threads to front page.
You realized that the propaganda set out towards GMB is not yeilding any result , so you decided to embrace the candidacy of GMB.

GMB and his team did what they have to do in 1983 to save the entire nation from the hands of umaru dikko and co...

I support the coup 100 percent

6 Likes

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by Nobody: 3:42pm On Jan 20, 2015
coolhamid:
Mr seun, You have been so biased recently. Within last few weeks, you and your mods brought lots of anti- buhari threads to front page.
You realized that the propaganda set out towards GMB is not yeilding any result , so you decided to embrace the candidacy of GMB.

GMB and his team did what they have to do in 1983 to save the entire nation from the hands of umaru dikko and co...

I support the coup 100 percent
Ok
Now buhari should retire like his assistant coup plotter IBB

8 Likes

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by Alezy(m): 3:49pm On Jan 20, 2015
peckhamboi:
Seun, why are you bringing this irrelevant issue up at this time.

The coup happened over 30 years ago and I remember vividly there were wild jubiliation all over the country after the coup.

I personally was happy that there was a coup at that point in time because the level of looting was the same as Jonathan's administration.

Why are you saying this? Do u kw hw far this country would be in democracy if he had allowed that gov?

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by Nobody: 3:51pm On Jan 20, 2015
Alezy:
Why are you saying this? Do u kw hw far this country would be in democracy if he had allowed that gov?
Ask him oh . . .

1 Like

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by mkpakanaodogwu(m): 4:06pm On Jan 20, 2015
Hatred for Gej is blinding them

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Another Sacrifice At Ekiti APC Secretariat Today (Photos) / 'Revolution Now' Protest By Sowore: Reactions On Twitter / Kaduna: Sarki And His Team Welcome Atiku (pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.