Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,310 members, 7,811,920 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:41 PM

Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? (35939 Views)

Buhari’s Military Action In Gambia Without Approval – Senator Chukwuka Utazi / Ekwueme: Aim Of The 1983 Coup Was To Stop Me From Emerging The President In 1987 / UK Warns Buhari Against Military Action In Niger Delta - Vanguard (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by Kolade354(m): 4:10pm On Jan 20, 2015
Alezy:
Why are you saying this? Do u kw hw far this country would be in democracy if he had allowed that gov?
Allow a corrupt govt where only few are enjoying dividens of democracy back then. Buhari may not win this election but i support that coup 100%.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by robosky02(m): 4:22pm On Jan 20, 2015
ok we are watching..........
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by ISpiksDaTroof: 4:24pm On Jan 20, 2015
Seun:
From his recent Channels TV Interview:

Are you sorry for bringing to an end the Shagari government?

GMB: No, I'm not sorry, because I mentioned why we did it, and we proved our case.

That's a democratic process that could have extended.

GMB: So when you are a democracy you are entitled to steal your treasury dry, and put your people into pauperized positions, and destroy institutions, and destroy infrastructure?

So you blame Shagari for that coup?

GMB: Don't personalize. I'll blame the second republic...

For that?

GMB: For that. And when we came out we told the nation why and we conducted enquiries, documentary ones, not just hearsay.

Source:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_487PhkxUQ (start at 5:37)

So he still believes it is ok for the military to overthrow a democratic government if the democratic government is corrupt. Incidentally, many people believe that the current government is also corrupt. If the General's view is right, then a military coup in 2015 is justified...

Do you agree? undecided (I strongly disagree because dictatorship is a greater evil than corruption. You can fight corruption within democracy)
So, if the Government is tyrannical what should be the proper recourse if the ordinary people are powerless to effect change? Certain democratic Govts ---i.e the United States--- have provisions in their constitution encouraging an overthrow of Government for the above reason. A coup was necessary and practical in December, 1983, it is not necessary or practical in Jan,2015.

Seun, stop inciting violence.

3 Likes

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by double0seven(m): 4:29pm On Jan 20, 2015
Oga Seun, we are talking about 1983 not 2015. A whole lot of things were different way back then; very very different. In heart of heart, he is not sorry because he know they intervened in order to set the country on the right path.

1 Like

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by Fortifive: 4:38pm On Jan 20, 2015
alienvirus:
Are you saying you are one of the earliest guys here undecided

something like that

1 Like

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by ApexTitan(m): 4:38pm On Jan 20, 2015
ISpiksDaTroof:
So, if the Government is tyrannical what should be the proper recourse if the ordinary people are powerless to effect change? Certain democratic Govts ---i.e the United States--- have provisions in their constitution encouraging an overthrow of Government for the above reason. A coup was necessary and practical in December, 1983, it is not necessary in Jan,2015. Stop inciting violence.

Nonsense. No democratic society has provisions or makes allowance for the forceful takeover of government by the military.

Progress and growth is achieved by strengthening and engaging the democratic institutions not by banishing or throwing away the democratic system.

It is an irony that Buhari who is an unrepentant enemy of democracy wants in on the system he once destroyed. What is even amazing is that many Nigerians because of their disappointment with the current leadership are hailing this ex dictator as their messiah.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by nuclearboy(m): 5:08pm On Jan 20, 2015
As 1983, so 2015. Same government style with probably the only difference being that in '83, people believed that the C-in-C (Shagari) was an innocent man surrounded by thieves. Today its Ali Baba and ... ...

The man is sincere - he explained why he felt something had to be done. Today He is sincere again but has embraced democracy (AS SEUN said) as a means to fight bad government, ergo he is contesting so he can do it from inside rather than as in the past
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by Nobody: 5:34pm On Jan 20, 2015
tobex23:
Seun, Comprehend...!
Buhari didn't say it is okay now,
He gave an answer to a question he was asked about a case as far back as 1983,

Corruption was the order the day then, and fact is, it is now the order of the day under the current administration, buhari did what he could to reduce the rate at which corrupt practices was high then, now we want him again, why? Because this same administration is CORRUPT! Very corrupt in all sectors.

With what you said here; "Incidentally, many people believe that the current government is also corrupt"
It can also be said that you don't believe this government is corrupt yeah?

Stop reasoning upside down, just to satisfy your pay.

Only difference between now and then is, he is going to be our PRESIDENT by our votes, not through a coup all in a bid to save the future of our country.

Coup plotting is a crime!
Coup plotters are criminals!

The tyrant called Buhari is a criminal, his place is firing squad just like every coup plotter!

You can quote me bro,

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by Nobody: 5:35pm On Jan 20, 2015
The General seems to think the coup was in order, and on that point I disagree with him. It is an undisputable fact that the coup set us backwards. We can agree that the Shagari regime was corrupt, but what about the state governors? Lateef Jakande? Aper Aku? Olabisi Onabanjo? Melford Okilo? Sam Mbakwe? Adekunle Ajasin? Were they corrupt too? Some of these governors were driving development at the grassroots, delivering tangible "dividends of democracy" to their people, but their administrations were also cut short!!! Worse still, they were replaced by totally inept "military administrators" who knew next to nothing about how to run a state!!! Was that progress or retrogression?

The 1983 coup, like that of 1966, was a terrible mistake that set us back by decades.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by okpurukata(f): 5:39pm On Jan 20, 2015
MY PERSONAL GROUSE WITH GMB.

I remember clearly how the then civilian administrations as at 1982 we're competing with each other in various states to deliver the dividend of democracy. My little village somewhere in the eastern heartland had pipe borne water for the first time and it was jubilation. The long trek to the stream for buckets and can of water was over. Then the electric poles started shooting up. We were ecstatstic, imagining how we will soon enjoy electricity.

That fateful Sunday morning, the martial music started playing, my father and other adults were joyful - There was a military coup. A young officer named Buhari has come on board.

Fast forward to two years, the electric poles remained where the civilian administration left them. They started rotting away. The taps stopped flowing. The long trek to the stream resumed. Our people wished for the past days.

Those poles remained on the ground for seven long years. The community eventually started taxing every one. It took two years to raise the funds from poor folks, farmers, traders and even poor old widows to raise the funds to buy new poles, buy transformer and eventually there was light. The bitterness remains deep in my mind.

I have waited for years for an apology from GMB for truncating the democratic Govt that was almost about to give my people electricity but it never came.

This interview has further renewed old wounds. How, How on Earth can I vote this man?

48 Likes 24 Shares

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by docadams: 5:46pm On Jan 20, 2015
Many, who jubilated when Buhari took over, are still alive. At that time, only the corrupt politicians and their acolytes shedded tears for the coup.

1 Like

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by Seun(m): 5:51pm On Jan 20, 2015
docadams:
Many, who jubilated when Buhari took over, are still alive. At that time, only the corrupt politicians and their acolytes shedded tears for the coup.
You folks keep mentioning this jubilation. Does it justify the termination of democracy? Didn't people also jubilate when Buhari was overthrown?

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by Alezy(m): 5:57pm On Jan 20, 2015
Kolade354:
Allow a corrupt govt where only few are enjoying dividens of democracy back then. Buhari may not win this election but i support that coup 100%.
Would av been better if they finished thier tenure and another gov takes over and so on, thats how we keep getting beta take for instance, Yaradua's gov was far better than Obj's. Gmb bringing back military took this country backwards. Ok, what did we/u gain from his(GMB) gov?

1 Like

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by Alezy(m): 5:58pm On Jan 20, 2015
Seun:

You folks keep mentioning this jubilation. Does it justify the termination of democracy? Didn't people also jubilate when Buhari was overthrown?
Pls ask him o.

1 Like

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by naijaking1: 6:04pm On Jan 20, 2015
peckhamboi:
Seun, why are you bringing this irrelevant issue up at this time.

The coup happened over 30 years ago and I remember vividly there were wild jubiliation all over the country after the coup.

I personally was happy that there was a coup at that point in time because the level of looting was the same as Jonathan's administration.

You got to be kidding me right?
We should all develop amnesia and forget everything that happened yesterday, because you want Buhari to win at all cost, even if it means deceiving Nigerians about who the real Buhari really is!
Thanks a million to Seun, the more information the better for both GEJ and Buhari.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by babadee1(m): 6:08pm On Jan 20, 2015
Military interventions in governance are never okay, but 1983 is not 2015. The national consciousness has matured significantly since that time. In 1983 we used to execute criminals in public by firing squad; bar beach show. Crowds of people used to come out in droves to watch for entertainment, including small children. If that happened today, most people would be disgusted, same thing with coups.
You cannot hold GMB to a standard of national ethics which did not exist at the time and he was only answering the question in historical context. Many people came out on the streets to celebrate and show their support for the 1983 coup, especially Nigerian students. The same would not happen today.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by Nobody: 6:08pm On Jan 20, 2015
docadams:

Where you there and did you jubilate?

Coup plotting is a crime.
Coup plotters are criminals.

It is a simple as that.

If I steal your money, thats a crime.
If you shoot me because I stole money, thats a crime.

You dont use a crime to punish another crime.

Coup plotting is crude, jungle and judgment and primitive!

You take over power with gun and make yourself above the law!

Bros, Buhari's place is firing squad! thats the place for every coup maker.

Just that in Africa, we honor criminals!
It is a shame.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by LouisVanGaal(m): 6:09pm On Jan 20, 2015
Seun:
No democracy in the world isn't constantly abused. No democracy is free of corruption. All mature democracies have faced these problems.
Is south africa not practising democracy? How old is their democracyundecided

It's not how far, but how well...
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by Demdem(m): 6:13pm On Jan 20, 2015
Seun:

Apologies, I'm trying to embrace the idea of GMB as president,

Please do and do it fast because non of this will stall that emergence. Nl should also brace up for the incoming change.
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by naijaking1: 6:15pm On Jan 20, 2015
babadee1:
Military interventions in governance are never okay, but 1983 is not 2015. The national consciousness has matured significantly since that time. In 1983 we used to execute criminals in public by firing squad; bar beach show. Crowds of people used to come out in droves to watch for entertainment, including small children. If that happened today, most people would be disgusted, same thing with coups.
You cannot hold GMB to a standard of national ethics which did not exist at the time and he was only answering the question in historical context. Many people came out on the streets to celebrate and show their support for the 1983 coup, especially Nigerian students. The same would not happen today.

Thank you!
The mega sin of Buhari and his fellow coup plotters was that they appointed themselves judges, jury, and executioners at the same time.
The man acts as if he is the 13th apostle sent directly by God to correct people and rule with his myopic iron views.

1 Like

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by babadee1(m): 6:28pm On Jan 20, 2015
Seun:
No democracy in the world isn't constantly abused. No democracy is free of corruption. All mature democracies have faced these problems.

Nigeria is not yet a democracy. Even President Jonathan himself admitted that the country has never conducted any free and fair elections since 1960. You're making an issue about coups but stolen elections are just as bad if not much worse. Forcing yourself on the people as their leader whether by bullets or by ballots should not be tolerable in this day and age.
Until ruling parties begin to lose elections with some regularity and government begins to transition from one party to another, Nigeria is still an autocracy not a democracy. Democracy is about the freedom to choose your own leaders and we don't have that yet in Nigeria.
PDP needs to lose this election for that to begin to happen.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by Orunto: 6:33pm On Jan 20, 2015
WICKED DICTATOR. AND UPON THAT HE GOT GCFR AN HONOUR DESIGNED FOR DEMOCRATIC PRESIDENTS* ONLY.

1 Like

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by sammyj: 7:19pm On Jan 20, 2015
Change is inevitable no matter what they say or propaganda they put up to stop the change it will surely happen come FeBuhari 2015!!! Vote the peoples general vote change!!!
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by Flets: 7:20pm On Jan 20, 2015
The buhari is just evil

2 Likes

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by sammyj: 7:21pm On Jan 20, 2015
cheesy grin grin grin ;Dlaf go kill me oooo Aliba what!!!!!
nuclearboy:
As 1983, so 2015. Same government style with probably the only difference being that in '83, people believed that the C-in-C (Shagari) was an innocent man surrounded by thieves. Today its Ali Baba and ... ...

The man is sincere - he explained why he felt something had to be done. Today He is sincere again but has embraced democracy (AS SEUN said) as a means to fight bad government, ergo he is contesting so he can do it from inside rather than as in the past
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by jingh(f): 7:22pm On Jan 20, 2015
tobex23:
Seun, Comprehend...!
Buhari didn't say it is okay now,
He gave an answer to a question he was asked about a case as far back as 1983,

Corruption was the order the day then, and fact is, it is now the order of the day under the current administration, buhari did what he could to reduce the rate at which corrupt practices was high then, now we want him again, why? Because this same administration is CORRUPT! Very corrupt in all sectors.

With what you said here; "Incidentally, many people believe that the current government is also corrupt"
It can also be said that you don't believe this government is corrupt yeah?

Stop reasoning upside down, just to satisfy your pay.

Only difference between now and then is, he is going to be our PRESIDENT by our votes, not through a coup all in a bid to save the future of our country.
I can cheat on my bf for you because of this post, God will increase your knowledge

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by Eromsboy: 7:22pm On Jan 20, 2015
It is saddening that some Nigerians would see the current situation of the country and continue to act as if all is well.

We should always remember that we have children who would love to live in this country called Nigeria.

As I am now, there is nothing you can dig out against Buhari that will change my opinion. Nothing. So just get tired of rooting out irrelevances and ask ur candidate to face real issues.

Thanks.
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by HIGHESTPOPORI(m): 7:22pm On Jan 20, 2015
Kolade354:
ThankGod u knw Buhari will not win

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by hazyfm1: 7:23pm On Jan 20, 2015
THEN NIGERIA WAS NOT RIPE ENOUGH FOR DEMOCRACY
BLAME THE COLONIALS NOT THE MILITARY
Seun:
From his recent Channels TV Interview:

Are you sorry for bringing to an end the Shagari government?

GMB: No, I'm not sorry, because I mentioned why we did it, and we proved our case.

That's a democratic process that could have extended.

GMB: So when you are a democracy you are entitled to steal your treasury dry, and put your people into pauperized positions, and destroy institutions, and destroy infrastructure?

So you blame Shagari for that coup?

GMB: Don't personalize. I'll blame the second republic...

For that?

GMB: For that. And when we came out we told the nation why and we conducted enquiries, documentary ones, not just hearsay.

Source:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_487PhkxUQ (start at 5:37)

So he still believes it is ok for the military to overthrow a democratic government if the democratic government is corrupt. Incidentally, many people believe that the current government is also corrupt. If the General's view is right, then a military coup in 2015 is justified...

Do you agree? undecided (I strongly disagree because dictatorship is a greater evil than corruption. You can fight corruption within democracy)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Ben Murray Bruce Praises President Bola Tinubu For Floating The Naira / Felix Obuah: Expelling Oshiomhole From APC Can Lead To Suicide / Kabaka Declares Support For Tinubu, Sings "Emilokan" Song (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.