Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,173 members, 7,953,640 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 09:33 PM

Salary Scale Of Lecturers In Nigerian Universities - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Salary Scale Of Lecturers In Nigerian Universities (187734 Views)

The 6 Types Of Lecturers In Nigerian Universities / Kogi State University Strike Clocks 7 Weeks, Massive Exodus Of Lecturers / 5 Types Of Lecturers In Nigeria Tertiary Institutions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Salary Scale Of Lecturers In Nigerian Universities by wallex1983(m): 10:59pm On Jan 22, 2015
Iڪ this for FG lecturers? Cos as an academic in a state university, this isn't what I have in my letter. Its less than
Re: Salary Scale Of Lecturers In Nigerian Universities by saduman(m): 11:00pm On Jan 22, 2015
Hmm...
It's not easy to make legit money oo, in naija sha oo!
With such paltry offers which time one go live d life na lol . Only d most senior staffs make something decent, others just gat a JOB(just above broke).
So is it when i don grow grey hair from many years of hardwork/service before I arrive?
They say Nigerian youths these days r lazy and don't like to put the work but I say the system is not motivating enough

2 Likes

Re: Salary Scale Of Lecturers In Nigerian Universities by Truth234(m): 11:04pm On Jan 22, 2015
funmilayoB:
one of the reasons i'm going for politics

Funmilayo
Re: Salary Scale Of Lecturers In Nigerian Universities by coretechng1(m): 11:05pm On Jan 22, 2015
tenry:

Don't mind them. I have read so many comments posted out of ignorance. Multi national companies, government agencies,reputable organisations/bodies such as AU, unesco,world bank etc commission these lecturers for proprietary research and they pay them very well. Just show you know your onions and grants will be coming for you. Most of these people don't even touch thjeir salary, cos money they realise conducting research for others is sufficient. As a graduate student at UI, my Msc thesis fetched me 250 dollars frm unesco after defending it. I have sent the final work to them for consideration and I'm waiting to hear frm them and then smile to the bank. I am not a lecturer,imagine if I am one and I am able to produce something good, the salary ll just become my monthly saving.
Like how much will u smile to the bank with? grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Salary Scale Of Lecturers In Nigerian Universities by Profitcost: 11:10pm On Jan 22, 2015
eightsin:
This has to be without allowances cause I know lecturers who earn big...
No allowance apart frm that.
Re: Salary Scale Of Lecturers In Nigerian Universities by Nobody: 11:23pm On Jan 22, 2015
MoreWahala:

This one is so stale! Come with something better.
May Satan perform a coup and dethrone u from your position just like buhari did IJMN.
I 'm not a GMB fan, just trying to find out if you are wishing 170 million nigerians evil or good. Obviously you do not wish nigeria well.
Re: Salary Scale Of Lecturers In Nigerian Universities by wtfCode: 11:23pm On Jan 22, 2015
liveyourlife:

True Talk. Pls those money they make from hand-outs, text books e.t.c. In my school back then, In 300level, all students were doing EPS and it was mandated we pay 3k. Now 3k multiplied by over 2000 students, I paid!

Being a lecturer is the best definition of "Job Opportunity". so many avenues to make Bank!!!
that just said my mind.
In esut, even after paying a huge amount of money for school fees,dem lecturers will still make u pay alot extra,through textbooks,hand-outs,oiling(runs),practicals etc they make alotta money over here in southeast universities

1 Like

Re: Salary Scale Of Lecturers In Nigerian Universities by Eneze1(f): 11:36pm On Jan 22, 2015
hardbody:

The highest range there is N6m per annum? Who survives on that at their level? Little wonder they print pages and sell them as hand-outs, while they frustrate students as if those ones put them in that predicament. Thank God i changed my mind about lecturing early in life. I will rather be a volunteer lecturer and do it pro-bono when i have made decent income and investment. That N6m is like a quarterly salary and some of us still dey shout for more money.

God, it is only you i have to thank.

how the hell will I read up to Phd level and be collecting 6m per year. which kind money be that
Re: Salary Scale Of Lecturers In Nigerian Universities by Penboy: 11:41pm On Jan 22, 2015
If this salary scale is truly for Nigerian lecturers then it's not that bad overall. I have 'CONMESS' for doctors and it looks similar to this.

Anyway, i wanna shout out to Dr. Elerujha #TeamOau.

1 Like

Re: Salary Scale Of Lecturers In Nigerian Universities by abbakacici: 11:43pm On Jan 22, 2015
Is better to be a lecturer and earn 120k than banker an earn 250k because lecturer work maximum of 10 a week and no stress and if you are happy with your monthly income, you a chance you do other stuff and earn more
Re: Salary Scale Of Lecturers In Nigerian Universities by Daniel058(m): 11:51pm On Jan 22, 2015
سيبصسقفfqfxþሸደፈፈተኹ ረተተተረ ሸففقق ሰኸ
Re: Salary Scale Of Lecturers In Nigerian Universities by Nobody: 11:54pm On Jan 22, 2015
tiamiyukunle69:
With or without allowances??
thats take home; rent subsidy, peculiary allowance and consolidated salary. though 'earned' allowances are not included- these are not monthly allowances.
Re: Salary Scale Of Lecturers In Nigerian Universities by stanisbaratheon: 11:58pm On Jan 22, 2015
terrible salary structure

2 Likes

Re: Salary Scale Of Lecturers In Nigerian Universities by Nobody: 11:58pm On Jan 22, 2015
ebamma:
make i hear word abeg, minimum wage in this country is 18k which equals 216k per annum, anybody earning 3million plus per annum with good planning can buy a ride and build a house within 5yrs,
and some of those lecturers make extra income from teaching in private universities and schools
3 million plus is for SENIOR LECTURERS, you have obtained your PhD, have a decent number of publications and spent about 10years ( depending on your point of entry) in service.

2 Likes

Re: Salary Scale Of Lecturers In Nigerian Universities by piagetskinner(m): 12:25am On Jan 23, 2015
The salary scale structure for the Nigerian civil service is extremely poor#there should be an upward review of these salaries abeg...and yet our politicians collect tens of millions monthly for FARTING in theirs seats. haba!

1 Like

Re: Salary Scale Of Lecturers In Nigerian Universities by piagetskinner(m): 12:32am On Jan 23, 2015
Kingsasian:
but we see them driving decent rides.
That's because the wise ones join co-operative societies(advanced esusu) that way, they can build decent houses nd buy cars
Re: Salary Scale Of Lecturers In Nigerian Universities by texazzpete(m): 12:55am On Jan 23, 2015
tenry:

Don't mind them. I have read so many comments posted out of ignorance. Multi national companies, government agencies,reputable organisations/bodies such as AU, unesco,world bank etc commission these lecturers for proprietary research and they pay them very well. Just show you know your onions and grants will be coming for you. Most of these people don't even touch thjeir salary, cos money they realise conducting research for others is sufficient. As a graduate student at UI, my Msc thesis fetched me 250 dollars frm unesco after defending it. I have sent the final work to them for consideration and I'm waiting to hear frm them and then smile to the bank. I am not a lecturer,imagine if I am one and I am able to produce something good, the salary ll just become my monthly saving.

I have a BIG problem with ignorant folks like you taking anecdotal evidence and the odd success story and spinning it to say 'most' lecturers don't touch their salary.

I'm willing to bet not up to 10% of lecturers get commissioned for private projects at the sub-professor level.

8 Likes

Re: Salary Scale Of Lecturers In Nigerian Universities by susuces4all(m): 1:06am On Jan 23, 2015
6m is the highest for prof hmmmmm
Re: Salary Scale Of Lecturers In Nigerian Universities by praxs(m): 1:31am On Jan 23, 2015
What about graduate assistant and assistant lecturers? From what I heard, a GA takes home abt 110,000 as monthly income while AL is abt 130,000. How true is this?
Re: Salary Scale Of Lecturers In Nigerian Universities by soulglo: 1:58am On Jan 23, 2015
ebamma:
make i hear word abeg, minimum wage in this country is 18k which equals 216k per annum, anybody earning 3million plus per annum with good planning can buy a ride and build a house within 5yrs,
and some of those lecturers make extra income from teaching in private universities and schools

Thank you. And this is one income. People in other countries have 2 income households. Also, the average nigerian does not believe in budgeting either. 6 mill is about $35g
Re: Salary Scale Of Lecturers In Nigerian Universities by akigbemaru: 2:04am On Jan 23, 2015
professors salaries are juicy oooo.
Re: Salary Scale Of Lecturers In Nigerian Universities by Nobody: 2:10am On Jan 23, 2015
ebamma:

Many also make more than their salary from selling handouts, blocking, forced students to buy books they copied nd modified from somewhere. The worst is they sleep around with people's future wife in desperation to graduate after so many carry overs.
Re: Salary Scale Of Lecturers In Nigerian Universities by Nobody: 2:10am On Jan 23, 2015
Truth234:

Funmilayo

Sir
Re: Salary Scale Of Lecturers In Nigerian Universities by Nobody: 2:18am On Jan 23, 2015
manny4life:

Good question.. That's how people open their mouths loosely.

@Topic, this is very poor... They need to do something about this. Quality education comes with spending on human resource.

That's the point of this thread, I thought. Not "poor lecturers, how do they eat", but "omg, no wonder they are always on strike, disrupting students' degree progress; no wonder they extort money from their students; no wonder the quality of education is so low, because they're busy doing other things to supplement their income and they don't take their jobs seriously".

Bigger picture.

4 Likes

Re: Salary Scale Of Lecturers In Nigerian Universities by anonimi: 3:23am On Jan 23, 2015
rozayx5:
so bad how a sibling took his first class to this unrewarding field

i know its service to the nation, but any career that cant give your family a good standard of living to me, is not worth suffering for.

Our politicians & military DICTATOR pensioners who collect multi-millions should be in the FOREFRONT of 'service to the nation'.

Our SINators & representaTHIEVES collect N29 million every month.
Even LGA Councillor receives almost N300,000 every month i.e. N3.6 millon guaranteed per annum shocked

Meanwhile our former military dictator pensioners collect N23 million monthly, inluding the one FAKING integrity and seeking our votes a record fourth time who NEVER built a university either as North Eastern state governor 40 years ago or as MAXIMUM ruler 32 years ago!

Our politicians won't correct this ANOMALY except we pressure our senators & HoR representatives to act. Let us not forget that even the PIB bill has been lying fallow in their chambers!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Salary Scale Of Lecturers In Nigerian Universities by janvier27(m): 5:12am On Jan 23, 2015
Not all are complaining. There are several decent, professional, lucrative opportunities that go with it for those worth their degrees.
Re: Salary Scale Of Lecturers In Nigerian Universities by bola4dprec(m): 5:41am On Jan 23, 2015
Summation of all equivalent to my feeling allowance that is reason why most Nigerian venture into politics
Re: Salary Scale Of Lecturers In Nigerian Universities by gambus007(m): 7:03am On Jan 23, 2015
what would you say when a civil servant on GL 08 take home less than 50k.that for graduate oo.Everything about nigeria system is just too poor.most work in Abuja with that salary
Re: Salary Scale Of Lecturers In Nigerian Universities by samopeyemi: 7:05am On Jan 23, 2015
Wow, good to see this online. Had a discussion on this with a friend on saturday.

Sincerely, d salary structure is poor. Getting a phd is no be beans, and such person still earn less than what a BSc holder with 2 to 3 years experience will earn in some standard firms. Thats why most of the best brains we have dont even consider lecturing in Nigeria

Between not all lecturers sell handout, at least it doesnt happen in my school, selling of handout happens mostly in state owned institutions and dir lecturers even earn less. Also i dont think its easy to get part time lecturing job in private university with just msc, most prefer prof or retired lecturers.

Also, You dont av to be a lecturer to av a secondary source of income, so thats no big deal.
Re: Salary Scale Of Lecturers In Nigerian Universities by cozy7(m): 7:18am On Jan 23, 2015
rozayx5:
very poor. most of their annual salaries cant even buy a decent ride sad
WHAT'S YOUR OWN SALARY?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

University Of Ibadan 2012/2013 Admission / LASPOTECH CHAT ROOM / JAMB/UTME 2012 Result Is Out!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.