Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,820 members, 7,831,673 topics. Date: Saturday, 18 May 2024 at 12:44 AM

1985 Newspaper Story Created After Buhari Was Toppled - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 1985 Newspaper Story Created After Buhari Was Toppled (56600 Views)

See What Some Nigerians Are Claiming They Saw After Buhari Was Announced Winner / Photos: President Jonathan Smiling After Buhari Was Declared Winner Yesterday / A 1985 Newspaper Headline (buhari's Administration) On State Of Unemployment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 1985 Newspaper Story Created After Buhari Was Toppled by Nobody: 5:34pm On Jan 23, 2015
Did Buhari's supporters just realise that he is a saint and incorruptible ? If not, why didn't they speak out for him massively in 2003, 2007 and 2011. I quite agree dat Nigeria needs change but am seriously sceptical if he (Buhari) is d change we need. Too many things seem unclear about him and they are all covered up by his party and die hard supporters. A similar mistake was made in 2011 when Nigerians out of pity voted in GEJ as a result of his 'I grew up without shoes', and similar lies. I call on Nigerians to reason things objectively and not to allow sentiments to cover our judgement. Whether APC or PDP will much really change in Nigeria ? Both candidates don't strike me as d messiah we crave for . "Animal farm" by George Orwell comes to mind. Can't we at least consider d other candidates ? Wat law state that it must be GEJ or GMB ?

1 Like

Re: 1985 Newspaper Story Created After Buhari Was Toppled by Rhozabeth(m): 5:35pm On Jan 23, 2015
They sha want to give dog a bad name so that they can hang it! It is impossible! Common sense will tell anybody that Jona and his cronies are desperate to get Buhari out of the way because of of his (Buhari) intolerance for corruption! It is my prayer that anybody who wants this country to continue for another 4years to tow the line of corruption, insecurity, hopelessness, youth unemployment, power failure, bad road network, stealing is not corruption etc will never know peace, I shall not be well with them and their household, they will work like elephant and eat like ant and God will bless them with the likes of kidney failure, heart attack,HIV, liver failure, leukamia etc.

1 Like

Re: 1985 Newspaper Story Created After Buhari Was Toppled by anonimi: 5:36pm On Jan 23, 2015
damogul:
If you say Buhari is daft and dumb for being educated both home and abroad and for being highly spoken of by foreign trainees, world leaders and world experts then how would you rate your President GEJ who spent years in school just to study zoology? Who even studies that today? Was Jonathan so dumb that he couldnt be accepted into any university except on the premise of studying zoology? I bet they were only 10 or less in the lecture hall or even the entire school if not the entire Nigeria. This shows you and GEJ are both incalculably insufferable dullards and frightful cantankerously-caterwauling nefarious vermin

Being daft & dumb or smart & creative is not about the amount of time spent in school and the location whether home or abroad abi Oyinbo" people dey talk about the person.
It is about what you have delivered with the knowledge you supposed acquired. In that respect while daft & dumb old soldier allowed weeds to overgrow our railways, locmotives and coaches

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2045441_image_jpeg9f360c5ab7736510df54c882e9dbf188

comapred to smart, focused and creative Jonathan who has revived the same ABANDONED and cancelled railways =>

[url=
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwvrhwDBefo][/url]

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 1985 Newspaper Story Created After Buhari Was Toppled by Concept(m): 5:36pm On Jan 23, 2015
nedu2000:
Concord newspapers,owned by MKO abiola who happens to be IBB's friend,IBB needed the support of the masses after his coup & where else than a newspaper owned by his good ol' friend MKO (corrupt duo)

My thought.
Re: 1985 Newspaper Story Created After Buhari Was Toppled by chinedujazzy(m): 5:36pm On Jan 23, 2015
I have no other option than to vote for GEJ,APC and BUHARI are just chameleons worst dan PDP...I am going back to GEJ till 2019

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 1985 Newspaper Story Created After Buhari Was Toppled by micolaj: 5:38pm On Jan 23, 2015
anonimi:

Why don't you say why you think he is not a daft old soldier so I can respond to you point-by-point to show that he is not only daft but also very dumb.
I dare you to raise specific issues of how he is not a daft old soldier.

BTW are you saying he is not old or that he was not a soldier grin
your assertion doesn't stop the rain from failing neither does it stop the electorates from voting BUHARI. your definition of DAFT is faulty, a daft cannot be a GENERAL, MILITARY setting is a SERIOUS gathering, it cannot harbour a FEEBLE mind. How many GEN. have you produced in your FAMILY?
Re: 1985 Newspaper Story Created After Buhari Was Toppled by Etinosajay(m): 5:40pm On Jan 23, 2015
Mr Kenai or whatever you call yourself. It is quite childish and cruel as to how you brought out a paper from 1985 which propagated a writers own view, and disdain for the then Buhari regime of 1985 especially seeing as it generally wasn't friendly with the press.

However before you start beating the drum of deceit, I would point out to you some important things and ask you some questions as well.

Firstly, please use the right word. IBB overthrew Buhari not defeat (was it war).

Have you read Dr nowa omoigui's account of the 1985 coup? If no read it from http://waado.org and read an extensive/detailed report of all the coup as it happened.

Having Overthrew Buhari, can u point out IBB's success in government that justified it's overthrow of the former regime? Before u say more, would u think of Dele giwa? June 12 annulment?
Re: 1985 Newspaper Story Created After Buhari Was Toppled by damogul: 5:43pm On Jan 23, 2015
anonimi:

Being daft & dumb or smart & creative is not about the amount of time spent in school and the location whether home or abroad abi Oyinbo" people dey talk about the person.
It is about what you have delivered with the knowledge you supposed acquired. In that respect while daft & dumb old soldier allowed weeds to overgrow our railways, locmotives and coaches

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2045441_image_jpeg9f360c5ab7736510df54c882e9dbf188

comapred to smart, focused and creative Jonathan who has revived the same ABANDONED and cancelled railways =>

[url=
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwvrhwDBefo][/url]

So Jonathan is now a genius? A genius yet he is the only President of this country that has been rated as being CLUELESS? I guess Einsteins clueless nature made him a genius too. PDP and this railway talk sha. Chai my friend please remove your brain from under your foot you have stepped on it long enough
Re: 1985 Newspaper Story Created After Buhari Was Toppled by DaBullIT(m): 5:43pm On Jan 23, 2015
[size=28pt]If you E-vultures devote this much time spent on researching Buhari's past on Google's Live satellite streaming , you would find shekau and Claim cool 30 MIL USD that USA and NIGERIA offered as ransome and then you wont have to be pain in the buttt anymore

anyways , research result is

Waste of time, My mind is made GMB ALL THE WAY [/size]
Re: 1985 Newspaper Story Created After Buhari Was Toppled by Sunnybobo3(m): 5:45pm On Jan 23, 2015
nedu2000:
Concord newspapers,owned by MKO abiola who happens to be IBB's friend,IBB needed the support of the masses after his coup & where else than a newspaper owned by his good ol' friend MKO (corrupt duo)

Is this one also owned by Babangida's friend?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 1985 Newspaper Story Created After Buhari Was Toppled by ISpiksDaTroof: 5:46pm On Jan 23, 2015
Kenai:
I found this picture from a 1985 newspaper cover story talking about Buhari's regime and his eventual defeat at the hands of Babangida.
Please read. It's quite an interesting piece. Very revealing, too.

The newspaper in question is Concord Weekly (September 12th, 1985), and the story was written by the respected journalist, Prof. Okey Ndibe.

Concord was owned by M.K.O Abiola. Chief Abiola financed the Coup that brought Ibrahim Babangida into power.

Go figure.
Re: 1985 Newspaper Story Created After Buhari Was Toppled by micolaj: 5:46pm On Jan 23, 2015
rozayx5:

well if you can stabilize the global oil market and control the economy with the army then daft is an understatement
and he said GLOBAL OIL PRICE? YOU twisted the word to your taste. Hatred has decorated all your assertions on this thread.

1 Like

Re: 1985 Newspaper Story Created After Buhari Was Toppled by bakynes(m): 5:46pm On Jan 23, 2015
2015 Election is not all about GMB but about removing Jonathan. We are tired of no Visible achievements to point to. 2015 is all about making a statement to PDP that they will rule Nigeria for the next 100 yrs. So because of this, they believe they can do as they like siphon our collective resources. Let's try APC for the next four years, if they fail we send them packing this will sound a note of warning to all of them that power belongs to the people. I can assure you if Jonathan is reelected, he won't even care even if you shout from today to next year he and his croonies will do the country as they like they will increase PMS by 100% and the money from removing subsidy will be squandered again and there is nothing you will do abt it.
Re: 1985 Newspaper Story Created After Buhari Was Toppled by anonimi: 5:50pm On Jan 23, 2015
damogul:
So Jonathan is now a genius? A genius yet he is the only President of this country that has been rated as being CLUELESS? I guess Einsteins clueless nature made him a genius too. PDP and this railway talk sha. Chai my friend please remove your brain from under your foot you have stepped on it long enough

Please quote where I said he is a genius you this blood LIAR and agent of DISTORTION angry

If you consider him a genius compared to your daft & dumb old soldier, just talk straight instead of hiding behind me to say such grin grin

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: 1985 Newspaper Story Created After Buhari Was Toppled by ped007(m): 5:51pm On Jan 23, 2015
Kororugged:
Useless and baseless revisionism.

General Buhari was a military leader between 1983-1985, he ruled the country through decrees.

Nigeria is now under a democratic disposition with institutions that are hinged on the rule of law and d separation of powers.

Obasanjo did similar things while he was military head of state but Nigerians voted for him to be their civil president on 2 occasions

this thread is dead on arrival.
If you can't remember how OBJ came into power and retained it throug rigging in 2003, with a failed 3rd term bid, then you seriously need the attention of your government teacher.
Re: 1985 Newspaper Story Created After Buhari Was Toppled by jdbrasco(m): 5:55pm On Jan 23, 2015
Buhari has no business wit democracy. He shld apologize to Nigerians instead of insulting our dignity cos we already know his antecedents

1 Like

Re: 1985 Newspaper Story Created After Buhari Was Toppled by bakynes(m): 5:56pm On Jan 23, 2015
Do you know how much has been wasted by this administration. From Subsidy fraud still nobody has gone to jail for it, to missing 20 billion dollars, to 15 million dollars illegal arms deal and so on just imagine if these money is invested into infrastructures imagine how our lives would have improved. God who favoured Saul just like Jonathan in 2011 will remove him in 2015 just like he removed Saul.
Re: 1985 Newspaper Story Created After Buhari Was Toppled by damogul: 6:00pm On Jan 23, 2015
anonimi:

Please quote where I said he is a genius you this blood LIAR and agent of DISTORTION angry

If you consider him a genius compared to your daft & dumb old soldier, just talk straight instead of hiding behind me to say such grin grin

A guy with your IQ should have a low voice too! Calling you stu..pid would be an insult to stu..pid people. You know that idiocy runs rife in your veins
Re: 1985 Newspaper Story Created After Buhari Was Toppled by babadem2much(m): 6:01pm On Jan 23, 2015
I have stoped believing CONCORD NEWS PAPER, since IBB betrayed the his sole supporter and ended in prison n later died. Any media in support of d Govt write good about them but if not favoured d govt don suffer. Thatz xactly what we have been xperiencing. Since 1960
Re: 1985 Newspaper Story Created After Buhari Was Toppled by agabaI23(m): 6:02pm On Jan 23, 2015
Mrbigman1:

Agaba, is ur name somto and did u finish from unizik Eco?
Thanks
None of the above
Re: 1985 Newspaper Story Created After Buhari Was Toppled by Huffington: 6:02pm On Jan 23, 2015
Kenai:
I found this picture from a 1985 newspaper cover story talking about Buhari's regime and his eventual defeat at the hands of Babangida.
Please read. It's quite an interesting piece. Very revealing, too.

The newspaper in question is Concord Weekly (September 12th, 1985), and the story was written by the respected journalist, Prof. Okey Ndibe.
Seems the article was written by Okey Ndibe the popular activist and author.
Re: 1985 Newspaper Story Created After Buhari Was Toppled by Nobody: 6:04pm On Jan 23, 2015
nedu2000:

Was anything there a lie

Did Buhari not throw journalists in prison ?
Did he not molest student union leaders and ban their activities?
Did he not ban nigerian medical association?
Did he not deal mercilessly with anyone who brought up the discussion of civilian rule?
Did he not throw innocent people in prison to languish
Did he not ransack the homes of people like Awolowo
Did he not throw tai solarin in prison for speaking against his tyranny
Did he not selectively jail southern governors including VP ?

You folks are shameless

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 1985 Newspaper Story Created After Buhari Was Toppled by cronus: 6:06pm On Jan 23, 2015
You people are funny. You expect Concord Newspapers owned at the time by a strong friend and financier of IBB, to write anything positive about Buhari. MKO was about to be a beneficiary of state contracts from IBB's regime, his newspaper merely continued his pattern of support.

While Okey Ndibe is a respected academic today, will he today clamour for IBB over Buhari in the same vein he wrote the article before witnessing the rule of the IBB regime?
Re: 1985 Newspaper Story Created After Buhari Was Toppled by Nobody: 6:06pm On Jan 23, 2015
Chigold101:
he never made any promise at all and he hates democracy. He is not a democrat neither is he a pregresive. He is a soldier to the bone marrows and he can never change... Look at how his hadden nature messed up the certificate issue

I am not thinking about the OP'spost in terms of the current election....the OP's article reminded me of the way Army regimes go in Nigeria....the initial thrill of optimism.....replaced by the agony of destroyed dreams.
Re: 1985 Newspaper Story Created After Buhari Was Toppled by JaaizTech: 6:07pm On Jan 23, 2015
I am not surprised. What do you expect to be written after a coup Which Newspaper house would write against a new Head of State after a successful coup. That Newspaper would simply be locked up the next day. However, I can gather that Buhari+Iiagbon chose to be very strict and rigid; honestly that is what Nigeria needs now; something like China. You embezzle public funds, you die!!! Simple; the earlier we treat corruption with the disdain it requires the better for this nation

1 Like

Re: 1985 Newspaper Story Created After Buhari Was Toppled by Kenai: 6:11pm On Jan 23, 2015
Huffington:
Seems the article was written by Okey Ndibe the popular activist and author.

Yes, THAT Okey Ndibe! The man the posters here are now trying to label as "corrupt" just for the sake of Buhari.
Even MKO Abiola wasn't spared. They have now 'agreed' Abiola was corrupt. The same people who rioted after the post-June 12 injustice are now saying MKO Abiola was indeed corrupt.

Who knows what they'll do tomorrow? Currently, Bakare isn't a saint in their books anymore, because he's parted ways with Buhari.

That's just to show you the inconsistencies in their own principles. grin
Re: 1985 Newspaper Story Created After Buhari Was Toppled by sulistical: 6:11pm On Jan 23, 2015
i guess PDPs created this topic and they keep answering themselves.if they search 4 chibok girls and shekau.lyk this they would av seen them within a week. So them sabi searched newspaper back 2 1985. Pls endeavour to read paper to when GEJ came 2 power.
Re: 1985 Newspaper Story Created After Buhari Was Toppled by cronus: 6:19pm On Jan 23, 2015
Kenai:

Yes, THAT Okey Ndibe! The man the posters here are now trying to label as "corrupt" just for the sake of Buhari.
Even MKO Abiola wasn't spared. They have now 'agreed' Abiola was corrupt. The same people who rioted after the post-June 12 injustice are now saying MKO Abiola was indeed corrupt.

Who knows what they'll do tomorrow? Currently, Bakare isn't a saint in their books anymore, because he's parted ways with Buhari.

That's just to show you the inconsistencies in their own principles. grin

There's nothing wrong with Okey Ndibe, maybe he honestly thought IBB was better than Buhari or he was writing from the perspective of a journalist doing right by his brothers who Buhari had offended. One thing is sure though, after 8 years of IBB, most journalists would contend that Nigeria had jumped from frying pan to fire.

Even Reuben Abati was an eloquent writer,pro-people activist and scholar...where is he today? The pen might be mightier than the sword but its ink often flows to the dictates of the people paying the bills.
Re: 1985 Newspaper Story Created After Buhari Was Toppled by bakila: 6:22pm On Jan 23, 2015
SeverusSnape:

I knew you would bring up the strike issue. Yes, strikes took place, And they were resolved. At least, Jonathan recognized all the institutions like NANS, ASUU, ASUP etc, But Buhari never did and in Ndibe's words, "he treated them with scorn". If they protested or striked, They were imprisoned; all these never happened Under this administration. For the issue of strikes, as long as there are workers, There will always be industrial actions.
The opinion of Ndibe is worth what it is. The alienation by Gej is obvious but the fact that you support him will prevent you from seeing them.
It's not Buhari in 1983 that is the issue now, it's goodluck in 2015 in a democracy facing an election. The resort to 1985 show that a lesson will be taught to the Government that they alienated Nigerians, this we will do for the sake of posterity as a lesson to incoming leaders.
Re: 1985 Newspaper Story Created After Buhari Was Toppled by Nobody: 6:22pm On Jan 23, 2015
Jarus:
Who owned Concord?

Who sponsored the coup that overthrew Buhari?

Who did IBB deceive that he would hand over power to as part of the terms of coup hatch?

the evil that men do does indeed lives on after them while the good they do is interred with them

anyway, Abiola has paid for his alliance with ibb in blood
Re: 1985 Newspaper Story Created After Buhari Was Toppled by kay1one(m): 6:25pm On Jan 23, 2015
[size=14pt]If buhari is mr. Intergrity he is equally mr. Authoritarian and undemocratic! Ignorance might want to push people to vote for him but its a grand mistake! [/size]
Re: 1985 Newspaper Story Created After Buhari Was Toppled by Etinosajay(m): 6:25pm On Jan 23, 2015
ichidodo:
APC killed hopes of many Nigerians shunning Fashola,Oshiomhole etc before fielding an illiterate ex DICKtator....

You are a fool, a very big one. I read the nonsense you type, day in day out and I shake my head for you. In the whole of Nigeria, is Jonathan the best hand that can come through PDP? Aren't there more capable hands than Gej in the pdp?

You keep embarrassing your retarded lineage everyday. Lowlife dodo brain

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Goodluck Jonathan Returns From Commonwealth Assignment (photo) / AMCON: Bruce Brothers Sign Court Order As AMCON Takes Over Silverbird / Akeredolu Confirms Arrest Of Masterminds Of Owo Church Massacre, Warns Ebiras

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.