Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,658 members, 7,809,492 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:32 AM

A Car OR A Piece Of Land: Which Would You Buy First, And Why? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / A Car OR A Piece Of Land: Which Would You Buy First, And Why? (11345 Views)

Nigerian Man Surprises His Mother With A Car (pics, Video) / Children Found In The Booth Of A Car At Transamadi Port Harcourt Today / Would You Buy This For Your 14 Year Old Son/daughter? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Car OR A Piece Of Land: Which Would You Buy First, And Why? by AZeD1(m): 10:33am On Jan 26, 2015
CoCoLav:

I think what he is trying to say is that it improves efficiency due to the fact that you get to meet more targets when you are mobile and possibly your job satisfaction improves when you are comfortable.

Its the difficulty he is talking about.

I still think a car isn't a necessity and I always discourage my friends from taking that step. A car is not an investment unless its one of those antiques that are sold at higher prices as the years go by.
A car can be an investment.. Don't mix economics theory with practice.
Examples
1)In my office, the dudes with car close later than those without cars, while we spend 2+ hours plus in traffic, they stay back to finish their work or learn something new. The best investment you can ever make is time management and people with cars have the luxury or leaving the office anytime they want(anytime after 5pm). They can plan their time/movement.

2)When i was doing my Msc, the people with cars were always considered first for some kind of jobs. Also, ask anyone who has ever lived in Texas/California/Australia this kind of question and see their response.

3)You can't really put a price on comfort and nobody on his death bed says i wish i had more houses, land, cars e.t.c but you hear more of i wished i had lived more and trust me that living more isn't buying "Assets".

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Car OR A Piece Of Land: Which Would You Buy First, And Why? by CoCoLav(f): 10:56am On Jan 26, 2015
Raymie:
@OP, do yhu plan on developing the land in the near future either via business/residence? If yhu'intend buying land like all of us hoping to sell it at a much higher profit, welcome to the club of overpriced real estate and unwilling buyers. However if the purpose of yhur car is to oppress yhur neighbours and yhur exes, then yhur priorities need re examining. They are both assets and liabilities. The only difference is that one is fixed and the other not. BTW, so we know, the land location here is most likely not one in Lekki/VI or Gwarimpa/Maitama. Prolly in one obscure location that requires at least 3 motorbike trips buh still manages to sell above 1m with the perpetual hope that it will increase in value sooner than later

grin grin grin
Re: A Car OR A Piece Of Land: Which Would You Buy First, And Why? by CoCoLav(f): 11:06am On Jan 26, 2015
[AZeD1 post=30143905]
A car can be an investment.. Don't mix economics theory with practice.
Examples
1)In my office, the dudes with car close later than those without cars, while we spend 2+ hours plus in traffic, they stay back to finish their work or learn something new. The best investment you can ever make is time management and people with cars have the luxury or leaving the office anytime they want(anytime after 5pm). They can plan their time/movement.

I could counter this by telling you I stay late at work too just so I can beat the traffic and I don't have a car. By the time I am done, the traffic would have cleared. I was in a bus this morning and I was stuck in traffic. I got down and started to walk. Those with cars couldn't leave their cars behind could they? I got to manage my time as well. So you see? it could go both ways. Besides many companies provide staff buses these days.

2)When i was doing my Msc, the people with cars were always considered first for some kind of jobs. Also, ask anyone who has ever lived in Texas/California/Australia this kind of question and see their response.

You cant tell me that they would ignore those who have brains and have a higher chance of getting the jobs done for those with cars. The cars could just be a mere coincidence.

3)You can't really put a price on comfort and nobody on his death bed says i wish i had more houses, land, cars e.t.c but you hear more of i wished i had lived more and trust me that living more isn't buying "Assets"

That living more isn't buying cars either. Living more means spending time with your loved ones and those that matter. You dont hear 'I wished I had bought that Buggati Veyron when I had the chance'.

6 Likes

Re: A Car OR A Piece Of Land: Which Would You Buy First, And Why? by AZeD1(m): 11:20am On Jan 26, 2015
CoCoLav:

I could counter this by telling you I stay late at work too just so I can beat the traffic and I don't have a car. By the time I am done, the traffic would have cleared. I was in a bus this morning and I was stuck in traffic. I got down and started to walk. Those with cars couldn't leave their cars behind could they? I got to manage my time as well. So you see? it could go both ways. Besides many companies provide staff buses these days.

You cant tell me that they would ignore those who have brains and have a higher chance of getting the jobs done for those with cars. The cars could just be a mere coincidence.

That living more isn't buying cars either. Living more means spending time with your loved ones and those that matter. You dont hear 'I wished I had bought that Buggati Veyron when I had the chance'.
You are missing my point, My point is buying a land is not necessarily a better investment than a car as people's situation are different. Until you know a person's situation, you are not really in a position to advice.
Recently, there was a thread in which the OP asked which bank he could be putting a fixed amount into so he could buy a car and then some started advising him to buy a land instead because a car was a liability bla bla bla, The OP later explained that he was a doctor and he wasn't comfortable entering public transport at 2am when he is called for an emergency.

Would you tell that person that a land is a better investment than a car?

*** On a side note, how are you, read your diary(as usual) and want to know how you are feeling***

1 Like

Re: A Car OR A Piece Of Land: Which Would You Buy First, And Why? by CoCoLav(f): 11:25am On Jan 26, 2015
AZeD1:

You are missing my point, My point is buying a land is not necessarily a better investment than a car as people's situation are different. Until you know a person's situation, you are not really in a position to advice.
Recently, there was a thread in which the OP asked which bank he could be putting a fixed amount into so he could buy a car and then some started advising him to buy a land instead because a car was a liability bla bla bla, The OP later explained that he was a doctor and he wasn't comfortable entering public transport at 2am when he is called for an emergency.

Would you tell that person that a land is a better investment than a car?

*** On a side note, how are you, read your diary(as usual) and want to know how you are feeling***

Okay...that doctor example just put everything in perspective. I cant imagine. So we would agree to disagree then that one shoe doesn't fit all.

I am feeling a lot better, thank you. smiley

Thanks for reading too.
Re: A Car OR A Piece Of Land: Which Would You Buy First, And Why? by davide470(m): 11:27am On Jan 26, 2015
CoCoLav:

Okay...that doctor example just put everything in perspective. I cant imagine. So we would agree to disagree then that one shoe doesn't fit all.

Thanks for reading too.
undecided undecided
Re: A Car OR A Piece Of Land: Which Would You Buy First, And Why? by CoCoLav(f): 11:37am On Jan 26, 2015
davide470:
undecided undecided

Good morning to you too undecided
Re: A Car OR A Piece Of Land: Which Would You Buy First, And Why? by AZeD1(m): 11:42am On Jan 26, 2015
CoCoLav:

Thanks for reading too.

smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley

Good to know you are better and please remain that way!!!
Re: A Car OR A Piece Of Land: Which Would You Buy First, And Why? by CoCoLav(f): 11:45am On Jan 26, 2015
AZeD1:

smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley

Good to know you are better and please remain that way!!!

I will try to. smiley

@bolded or disagree to agree...
Re: A Car OR A Piece Of Land: Which Would You Buy First, And Why? by AZeD1(m): 11:47am On Jan 26, 2015
CoCoLav:

I will try to. smiley

@bolded or disagree to agree...
As far as we've reached a compromise, i'm satisfied.
Re: A Car OR A Piece Of Land: Which Would You Buy First, And Why? by CoCoLav(f): 11:51am On Jan 26, 2015
AZeD1:

As far as we've reached a compromise, i'm satisfied.

Hahaha...I see.
Okay then.
Let me return to my work.
Re: A Car OR A Piece Of Land: Which Would You Buy First, And Why? by AZeD1(m): 11:54am On Jan 26, 2015
CoCoLav:

Hahaha...I see.
Okay then.
Let me return to my work.

smiley smiley cheesy grin

Good for you. I plan to lazy up till 2pm .
Re: A Car OR A Piece Of Land: Which Would You Buy First, And Why? by CoCoLav(f): 12:00pm On Jan 26, 2015
AZeD1:

smiley smiley cheesy grin

Good for you. I plan to lazy up till 2pm .

Lets exchange jobs...I will give you my salary and you give me yours wink cheesy
Re: A Car OR A Piece Of Land: Which Would You Buy First, And Why? by AZeD1(m): 12:08pm On Jan 26, 2015
CoCoLav:

Lets exchange jobs...I will give you my salary and you give me yours wink cheesy
You wouldn't like my job and i don't like yours or any job i have to meet with clients, but i'll gladly take your salary.
Re: A Car OR A Piece Of Land: Which Would You Buy First, And Why? by CoCoLav(f): 12:09pm On Jan 26, 2015
AZeD1:

You wouldn't like my job and i don't like yours or any job i have to meet with clients, but i'll gladly take your salary.

Dream on!

I am sure I wouldn't like yours either lipsrsealed
Re: A Car OR A Piece Of Land: Which Would You Buy First, And Why? by tolutweety(m): 12:11pm On Jan 26, 2015
Finally...they turn the thread to bbm chat. sad undecided
And somepple will still put on their diary 'i don't reply pings and chats'. angry
Just passing... *Continues sipping my lipton tea.* undecided

1 Like

Re: A Car OR A Piece Of Land: Which Would You Buy First, And Why? by AZeD1(m): 12:11pm On Jan 26, 2015
CoCoLav:

Dream on!

I am sure I wouldn't like yours either lipsrsealed
For the record, my job is one of the best in the world.

Ok not necessarily my job, but what i do.....

Nothing bad in dreaming
Re: A Car OR A Piece Of Land: Which Would You Buy First, And Why? by AZeD1(m): 12:12pm On Jan 26, 2015
grin
tolutweety:
And somepple will still put on their diary 'i don't reply pings and chats'. angry
Technically, its not a ping or a chat!!!
Re: A Car OR A Piece Of Land: Which Would You Buy First, And Why? by CoCoLav(f): 12:15pm On Jan 26, 2015
AZeD1:

For the record, my job is one of the best in the world.

Ok not necessarily my job, but what i do.....

Nothing bad in dreaming

Yours is one of the best

Mine is the best. tongue

We are derailing though...we might get banned angry

All further discussions should be on the birthday thread I think.
Re: A Car OR A Piece Of Land: Which Would You Buy First, And Why? by CoCoLav(f): 12:16pm On Jan 26, 2015
tolutweety:

Hahahaha

Smh4u

angry
Re: A Car OR A Piece Of Land: Which Would You Buy First, And Why? by deathwing(m): 4:19pm On May 20, 2015
The way this thread derailed tho...
Re: A Car OR A Piece Of Land: Which Would You Buy First, And Why? by 2sex(m): 1:07am On May 21, 2015
It's so unfortunate how people reason. What is a car to be honest? This why many people end up being tenants to another man till they die. Let me share a story with you guys. You are saying car now without thinking of your unborn children.

In the early 90s my mum was the major supplier of building materials for the Teslim Balogun Stadium under the aegis of the Bulgaria owned company called Transproject. The money was flowing and my mum as in serious money. I was very little then but I was quite aware that she rarely stays home because she was always traveling from state to states in other to buy materials and I and my other siblings were under the care of relatives.

Despite the big bag money carrying spree my mum enjoyed in those year of affluence, she didn't buy a piece of land nor build. Not that the money wasn't available but she never did anything. We stayed in a rented apartment in Lagos until the money stopped flowing and then the landlord whom was a "friend" became an enemy. Things got so bad that we were asked to leave the house under the rain due to non payment of rent. You can imagine the embarrassment in an environment where you held strong hold and were popular.

When we moved to her sister's house, that was when I learned that her sister had showed her piece of land somewhere around Mile 2 for which the Bulgarian man she was working with did the blue print and my mum didn't do anything. I had to believe the story because I was always saw that blue print inside her wardrobe in those days until it was torn.

That image has stuck with me since I was little and I vowed that the first thing I will do if I get the money is to own a piece of land to my name.

Luckily before she departed this world, she got a land at Sango Ota for 250k mid 2000s. I was in that area few weeks back and the guy, one of those who worked on our family home told me that lands in that area now is 5Million naira and above. He also told me that they no long measure 60x120 and that its now 50x100 per plot. When my late mother was to buy the land, they were begging her to buy the adjacent land.

250k to 5Million naira in less than 10 years. Imagine having as much as 10 Plots in that area lol... 50 Million naira, for which you can buy as much as 2-3 cars from.

I pity lots of folks who have been saying car car car...

There is an area here in Benin I am looking at now. I have been asking questions and been told that land there is 600k but I am sure if I move somewhere, i can get some for 300k. The area is developing and I see that in 10 years time, you can't get a land there for 5Million. If I buy as much as 2-4 plots, fence it and leave it for less than 10 years... tomorrow people will say "this guy is lucky"

It was on nairaland last year someone said he regretted buying a car a few years ago when he should have bought a land because land in the area where he missed the opportunity was around 10MILLION naira as at the time he made that comment. The thread was about life mistakes people have made.

Be wise people, Be Wise!

If you are reading this and you stay in Lagos, better look for a land in Ogun State, anywhere near lagos and buy a land there for cheap because Ogun state is enjoying influx from overflowing riches of lagos. Lands, in a potential area, is one of the wisest investments you can make.

7 Likes

Re: A Car OR A Piece Of Land: Which Would You Buy First, And Why? by ifyalways(f): 10:48am On May 21, 2015
^^^Preach, Preach, Preach.

The problem with today's youth is "show off" .

Guys :
Get the best ride
Look fly always
Get a pretty, fair babe.
Live in a posh apartment.

Girls:
Date the guy above
fix the highest weave on/wig/nails
Posh clothes, shoes,Fbk and Instagram swagger
Go to Dubai,London on shopping spree

No plans for their future. no savings, no investments. I cry for this generation.

3 Likes

Re: A Car OR A Piece Of Land: Which Would You Buy First, And Why? by Trottle: 1:17pm On May 21, 2015
land anytime. a car can come later.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Do You Love Anyone Unconditionally? / Letting Your 4-Year-Old Son Live As A Girl... / Screenshots Of A Whatsapp Chat Between A 'broke,' Guy And His Girlfriend

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.