Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,731 members, 7,809,803 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:14 PM

East African Coast | Culture And People - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / East African Coast | Culture And People (47252 Views)

Some Old Pictures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups And People / Northern Kenya | Culture And People / The History And People Of Bende Lga Of Abia State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: East African Coast | Culture And People by gallivant: 8:29pm On Feb 26, 2015
Zanzibar

1 Like

Re: East African Coast | Culture And People by gallivant: 5:11am On Feb 28, 2015
Mubarak Bin Rashid Bin Salim Al-Mazrui - Chief Of Gazi (1880s)

Comorian Sultan With His Entourage (1883)

[img]http://sirismm.si.edu/naa/97/africa/06075600.jpg[/img]
Re: East African Coast | Culture And People by gallivant: 5:34am On Mar 01, 2015
Sayyid Ali Bin Hamud & British Officials (1906)

Re: East African Coast | Culture And People by gallivant: 7:13pm On Mar 01, 2015
Re: East African Coast | Culture And People by gallivant: 7:21pm On Mar 01, 2015
Zanzibar's Shortest Reigning Monarch

Sayyid Khalid Bin Barghash ruled for 2 days (25 August 1896 - 27 August 1896)

The Young Sultan Of Zanzibar

Sayyid Ali Bin Hamoud was crowned as the Sultan of Zanzibar at the age of 18 (20 July 1902 - 9 December 1911)

Re: East African Coast | Culture And People by mfuasi: 7:04pm On Mar 02, 2015
great pics.
Re: East African Coast | Culture And People by gallivant: 7:31pm On Mar 02, 2015
Malindi

1 Like

Re: East African Coast | Culture And People by gallivant: 6:00pm On Mar 03, 2015
Anjouan

Re: East African Coast | Culture And People by gallivant: 6:54am On Mar 04, 2015
Re: East African Coast | Culture And People by gallivant: 6:57am On Mar 04, 2015
Re: East African Coast | Culture And People by gallivant: 4:55pm On Mar 05, 2015
Re: East African Coast | Culture And People by gallivant: 5:03pm On Mar 05, 2015
Sultan Said Ali Bin Said Omar (1856 -1917)

First and last sultan Tibe of Ngazidja, he managed to unite all the sultanates on the island under one leadership

Re: East African Coast | Culture And People by gallivant: 4:36pm On Mar 06, 2015
The Kofia Is A Must

Re: East African Coast | Culture And People by gallivant: 6:07pm On Mar 07, 2015

Re: East African Coast | Culture And People by gallivant: 6:08pm On Mar 07, 2015
Sayyid Ali Bin Hamoud

[img]http://www.loc.gov/rr/amed/guide/images/a11s.jpg[/img]

Hamoud Bin Mohammed

[img]http://www.blantyre.biz/Swahili-women.jpg[/img]

Re: East African Coast | Culture And People by gallivant: 6:12pm On Mar 07, 2015
Re: East African Coast | Culture And People by gallivant: 8:19pm On Mar 08, 2015
Re: East African Coast | Culture And People by gallivant: 10:43pm On Mar 09, 2015
Re: East African Coast | Culture And People by gallivant: 5:38pm On Mar 10, 2015
Wedding in Zanzibar

Re: East African Coast | Culture And People by gallivant: 5:22pm On Mar 11, 2015
Said Omar Bin Said Hassan

[img]http:///a/img585/9299/qpqg.jpg[/img]

Of the Anjouan clan El Masela, grand-son of the Sultan of Anjouan Abdallah I and cousin of Sultan Salim Bin Abdallah III, he became vizier in 1840, under the authority of the Sultan Salim Bin Alawi (Anjouan).

He married:

-Moina Roukia, the daughter of the vizier Mougne Abdallah (Anjouan)
-Moina M'kou, the daughter of Mougne M'kou Said Ahmad (Ngazidja)
-Djoumbe Fatima, Queen of Moheli

The political role of Said Omar came down to that of a brilliant negotiator, working to restore the honor of his family and to facilitate the installation of the protectorate in the archipelago.

http://laithbenali.centerblog.net/17...cipaux-sultans
Re: East African Coast | Culture And People by gallivant: 7:00pm On Mar 12, 2015

Flickr 上 sfxdonutzBongoyo Island

Flickr 上 sfxdonutzBeautiful day!

Flickr 上 sfxdonutzFishing
Re: East African Coast | Culture And People by gallivant: 5:08pm On Mar 13, 2015
Bagamoyo

Re: East African Coast | Culture And People by gallivant: 6:01pm On Mar 15, 2015
Historical Event: Vasco Da Gama Meets the "Sheikh of Mozambique" (1498)

The sheik was a tall, dark, slender man, of graceful form and presence, with large black eyes and black flowing beard. He wore a long jacket of plaited red Mecca velvet, and a blue cloak, embroidered with gold and silver lace; loose white breeches which reached to his knees; a broad sash about his waist, in which glistened a silver-handled dagger. On his head rested a huge silk turban of various colors, ornamented with gold, thread and lace; and on his feet were a pair of silken shoes. In his hand the sheik held a silver-mounted sword. As he sat under the tent, he looked a very magnificent personage indeed; and the Portuguese gathered around him and gazed at him admiringly.

The noble Moors who had come with him were scarcely less splendid in their apparel and adornments. They were fine-looking men, with silk robes and bright coloured turbans. Some were quite fair, others were brown, and yet others nearly black. Attending the sheik were several musicians, who had ivory trumpets and other curious instruments with which to entertain the strangers.

After the sheik had taken a good look at the ship and its company, he began to speak in Arabic; and the Moor Davane slowly translated what he said to Vasco, and also what Vasco replied to the sheik. The following conversation took place:—

"I am very glad you have come to my port," said the sheik; "and all that I can do to aid you I will, for to see you gives me much pleasure. There are many things here that I have not seen before. Are you foreign merchants? And from what country are you? What brings you hither?"

"We are from a far country called Portugal," returned Vasco, "and are the subjects of one of the greatest kings in Christendom."

"I supposed you were Turks, from your being so fair; but it appears you are not."

"We have cargoes of merchandise which we wish to exchange for other articles, and are trying to find India; but alas I my lord, our pilots know not which way to steer to reach it."

"And if you do not find India," asked the sheik, smiling, "what will you do?"

"We shall go about the seas until we die; for we should fear to return to our king without having found that which we came to seek."

"Show me, then, specimens of the merchandise of which you are in search." Vasco ordered some pepper, cinnamon, and ginger to be brought and shown to him.

On seeing these spices the sheik turned round to his companions, and laughed and nodded, saying,—

"Oh! you may find plenty of these in this region, and I will give you pilots who will carry you where you can get as much as you please. But what have you brought to exchange for them?"

"We have gold and silver."

"Well, with gold and silver you may buy any thing the world over....”

http://www.heritage-history.com/www/...ory=mozambique
Re: East African Coast | Culture And People by gallivant: 5:24pm On Mar 16, 2015
Comoros - Beach near Mitsamiouli

Re: East African Coast | Culture And People by gallivant: 7:49pm On Mar 16, 2015
Kilwa Palace

The ruins of the 14th century Grand Palace of Kilwa, It had over a 100 rooms, several courtyards, a pool and a private mosque.

Re: East African Coast | Culture And People by Rafikizolo: 2:23am On Mar 17, 2015
may I ask where you all are finding these lovely pictures?
Re: East African Coast | Culture And People by Rafikizolo: 2:37am On Mar 17, 2015
actually, I just found a lot of the pictures posted here on skyscrapercity, but if there are other sources please let me know smiley
Re: East African Coast | Culture And People by gallivant: 4:45am On Mar 17, 2015
What are you, the copyright Nazi? grin

Yes, skyscrapercity is a good guess. wink

1 Like

Re: East African Coast | Culture And People by Rafikizolo: 6:07am On Mar 17, 2015
gallivant:
What are you, the copyright Nazi? grin

Yes, skyscrapercity is a good guess. wink

haha, this is just my favorite thread. These pictures bring me a lot of joy, it's a side of my country that is often ignored in local and overseas media and common discussion, and I'd always love to see/find more pictures.
Re: East African Coast | Culture And People by gallivant: 6:08am On Mar 17, 2015
Mombasa

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Pregnant Ajoke Badirat Adeyemi Celebrates Her Son's 4th Birthday (Photos) / Oba Of Benin, His Youngest Wife, Queen Aisosa & Their Set Of Quadruplets (Pix) / Indigenous Hausa Tubali Architecture

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.