Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,771 members, 7,820,690 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:36 PM

Mother In-laws - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Mother In-laws (7191 Views)

Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. / What My In-Laws Served Me (photo) / Woman Caught By Her In-laws With Her Husband's Friend In A Hotel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mother In-laws by Ewuro4: 4:27pm On Jan 30, 2015
Kneeling is customary in Yoruba culture especially when you're Yoruba. My MIL doesn't give a damn about it coz she's wasn't raised in Nigeria but cant say the same for others.Its an act of showing respect before elders.

my kids were taught to kneel before elders and she liked it so far esp their funny Yoruba accent ; adupe ma grin

Kneeling for some random young family members because I want a ring on it is a no no .. Orisha bo le gbemi , fimisile boshe bami mehn. I won't dab into what I'm not able to keep up with.

I mostly pray standing throughout during my Moslem days sef grin my laziness no get part two I swear.

2 Likes

Re: Mother In-laws by Nobody: 4:30pm On Jan 30, 2015
Ewuro4:
Kneeling is customary in Yoruba culture especially when you're Yoruba. My MIL doesn't give a damn about it coz she's wasn't raised in Nigeria but cant say the same for others.Its an act of showing respect before elders.
my kids were taught to kneel before elders and she liked it so far esp their funny Yoruba accent ; adupe ma grin
Kneeling for some random young family members because I want a ring on it is a no no .. Orisha bo le gbemi , fimisile boshe bami mehn. I won't dab into what I'm not able to keep up with.
I mostly pray standing throughout during my Moslem days sef grin my laziness no get part two I swear.

Imagine you as a yoruba babe self lol. My sisters will kneel, bow and prostrate even wash his sibblings clothes then come to complain later
Re: Mother In-laws by damiso(f): 4:30pm On Jan 30, 2015
bukatyne:

LOL @ last statement
The MIL might be a traditional ruler or from a royal family
There is a difference between a MIL demanding for what her kids don't give her and what clearly her kids give her.
Your friend will be courting serious trouble if she said 'I don't feel like kneeling for MIL and I will not'

Like my mum grin grin grin I tend to kneel or at least courtesy for even non yoruba elderly folks cos my mum has a lot of greetings do's and don't s and my gosh did she drill that into us.(me and my mother are so unalike in alot of ways I guess my dad's genes are stronger cheesy) cos greeting mannerism honestly don't bother me.All those 'sis aunty ' ish my name is dami 'aunty' is not on my birth cert abeg.My younger sis fiance is older than I am and wanted to start calling me 'mummy my kids name' as per married inlaw things I told my sis to tell him to stop it abeg.

My mum tried with no avail to get my siblings to stop calling me by first name but with time and no compulsion my younger bro just says 'sis' Some days he still calls me by name and I see no biggie in it.

She was shocked that I don't even courtesy or help my sis in law with her bag ( you should see her giving me daggers from where she was sat grin) Its not like she is a bad person or would necessarily be a 'wicked' MIL she is just traditional about stuff like that.

Funny enough if you are non yoruba she has absolutely no issues with you not kneeling if you say hi sef she will see nothing wrong. I knew that cos she never took offence to any of my igbo friends (and i have loads) not kneeling to greet.But let her hear 'bukky or dami' grin then you say 'hi' grin grin grin grin or just stand not even small 'courtesy'(she is abit liberal tongue grin she no need two knees on the floor just lil courtesy) I will hear wen that day.

She is chilling a bit now sha me and my siblings don show her no be small grin esp my sister that one even says' hi mum ' just to wind her up and she always falls for it grin

1 Like

Re: Mother In-laws by emeraldoe(f): 4:43pm On Jan 30, 2015
Kneeling to greet doesn't show respect. I wasn't trained to kneel wen greeting(im frm Delta state) but my MIL is from Edo and she frowns wen I don't kneel to greet her. I had to learn to avoid any troubles. FIL doesn't bother, I greet him d way I like and I respect him a lot. SILS wouldn't expect me kneeling to greet dem.
Re: Mother In-laws by Ewuro4: 4:58pm On Jan 30, 2015
aisha2:

Imagine you as a yoruba babe self lol. My sisters will kneel, bow and prostrate even wash his sibblings clothes then come to complain later

That's taking it up a notch . I just don't get it but won't badmouth them either coz some families are just too canterkarous to live with.

1 Like

Re: Mother In-laws by Nobody: 5:02pm On Jan 30, 2015
aisha2:

That is the painful part
Doing it so that you don't hear their mouth
The way God created me,I can't o
Infact first time I stayed with my MIL after marriage,I didn't even sweep the floor and the news got to my husband grin grin
I didn't believe I should sweep the floor just because I was a new wife in the family when there were two young relatives including his own young sister,younger than me in the house .
I won't lay down in bed and watch my MIL sweep,never
But i won't have a small girl in the house and I will be sweeping just so they will call me dutiful wife
Mba kwa

2 Likes

Re: Mother In-laws by Ewuro4: 5:03pm On Jan 30, 2015
Damiso, you're right they have no issues with non yorubas, my dad will say 'shebi omo Yoruba niwo' when you start forming western , I must kneel for my mil when they're present or will hear my history undecided my brother once brought a Hausa lady and see them all ( with dad) speaking and laughing in Hausa sef, she didn't kneel oh shocked
Re: Mother In-laws by damiso(f): 5:11pm On Jan 30, 2015
Ewuro4:
Damiso, you're right they have no issues with non yorubas, my dad will say 'shebi omo Yoruba niwo' when you start forming western , I must kneel for my mil when they're present or will hear my history undecided my brother once brought a Hausa lady and see them all ( with dad) speaking and laughing in Hausa sef, she didn't kneel oh shocked

My mum and your dad must be related. 'Sebi omo yoruba niwo' is her exact phrase grin
Re: Mother In-laws by Nobody: 5:14pm On Jan 30, 2015
Ewuro4:

So if the elders themselves understand that culture differs why are the young people acting drama and being pretentious then later blame it on the in laws chai.
Re: Mother In-laws by Nobody: 5:16pm On Jan 30, 2015
Hmn, as we no get MIL,what of FILS?
Re: Mother In-laws by Nobody: 5:17pm On Jan 30, 2015
Ewuro4:
Damiso, you're right they have no issues with non yorubas, my dad will say 'shebi omo Yoruba niwo' when you start forming western ,I must kneel for my mil when they're present or will hear my history undecided my brother once brought a Hausa lady and see them all ( with dad) speaking and laughing in Hausa sef, she didn't kneel oh shocked

That is funny
Reminds of something I did for my hubby when his mom is around
When he eats eba he just goes to the sink to watch his hands and eat
First time my MIL Came visiting and after I set the food for hubby,she said ,my wife,where is the wash hand basin and water
Of course I couldn't say he will go wash in the sink,it won't come out right
I quickly dashed to the kitchen and transformed my mixing bowl into a wash hand basin grin
Re: Mother In-laws by Nobody: 5:18pm On Jan 30, 2015
Ewuro4:

That's taking it up a notch . I just don't get it but won't badmouth them either coz some families are just too canterkarous to live with.

True, dated a guy very nice guy before we saw his mom we passed to see his brother and the family. His brothers wife was so bitter about the mother in law years after marriage, obviously the woman made her life hell.

When we got to her place I didn't wash the plate I ate with to her specification and she screamed at me and the man was asking me to stay calm and ignore it. As much as I liked him i broke it off oh, people were saying am too picky bla bla bla I no gree oh, if the other wife after over 15 years of marriage is still sad I no dey carry my leg enter permanent misery

1 Like

Re: Mother In-laws by Nobody: 5:21pm On Jan 30, 2015
babyosisi:

That is the painful part
Doing it so that you don't hear their mouth
The way God created me,I can't o
Infact first time I stayed with my MIL after marriage,I didn't even sweep the floor and the news got to my husband grin grin
I didn't believe I should sweep the floor just because I was a new wife in the family when there were two young relatives including his own young sister,younger than me in the house .
I won't lay down in bed and watch my MIL sweep,never
But i won't have a small girl in the house and I will be sweeping just so they will call me dutiful wife
Mba kwa

I can remember once a wifey is brought in,she will carry long broom(akpata)and sweep o to d mainroad(lol)

She will sweep both d nebor's pathway.
Chei!

2 Likes

Re: Mother In-laws by Nobody: 5:22pm On Jan 30, 2015
babyosisi:

That is funny
Reminds if something I do dor my hubby when his mom is around
When he eats eba he just goes to the sink to watch his hands and eat
One time my MIL Came visiting and after I set the food for hubby,she said ,my wife,where is the wash hand basin and water
If course I couldn't say he will go wash in the sink
I quickly dashed to the kitchen and transformed my mixing bowl into a wash hand basin

Lol na their generation my sister. My own father in law goes to the kitchen by himself, fixes his own dinner sometimes and fetches his own drinks, so imagine that my mother in law will be asking me to do that when she didn't even raise him like that. I remember when we were dating and I helped my husband dish a plate she looked at me and looked at him then asked him why he didn't go to dish by himself then told me she hopes I can finish this big work am starting oh lol
Re: Mother In-laws by Nobody: 5:25pm On Jan 30, 2015
aisha2:

Lol na their generation my sister. My own father in law goes to the kitchen by himself, fixes his own dinner sometimes and fetches his own drinks, so imagine that my mother in law will be asking me to do that when she didn't even raise him like that. I remember when we were dating and I helped my husband dish a plate she looked at me and looked at him then asked him why he didn't go to dish by himself then told me she hopes I can finish this big work am starting oh lol
Ur FIL is a genius!
Mine is something else.
That man is so lucky I came in now.
I would hv reset his brain a long time ago cheesy
Re: Mother In-laws by Amhappy(f): 5:28pm On Jan 30, 2015
babyosisi:

You got that right

I just told someone that same line
Your mother in law can never be like your mother
Cut out the cliche
Your mother is your mother your MIL is your MIL,make no mistake about it

I could be driving back from work tired and very hungry and call my mom on the phone to please cook me some yam and she will gladly do
Can I ask same of my MIL?
My mother sees me struggling with the kids,she will go make her own food,an MIL will wait for you to serve her food no matter how exhausted you are.
Mom can say something and I totally disagree and tell her mom,I don't agree with you or she asks me to do something and I say mom please I am very tired can it wait till an hour or even next day and it is totally oK with her
Will an MIL understand that?
Your mom sees your husband cooking or cleaning,she is ecstatic she has a son in law that is so sweet and understanding and helps around the house,MIL sees your husband cleaning,she will yell and hate you for turning her beloved son into your maid

Ladies, love your MIL and treat her right but she is not your mother, make no mistake about it

Then i sincerely thank God for my MIL. She is just like me mum,i cant tell the difference except in their faces. She is a gift. She does all you listed mums do even more. Even my mum wonders about her. She is kind hearted to a fault. God bless Sweet Mama.

1 Like

Re: Mother In-laws by Nobody: 5:52pm On Jan 30, 2015
Amhappy:

Then i sincerely thank God for my MIL. She is just like me mum,i cant tell the difference except in their faces. She is a gift. She does all you listed mums do even more. Even my mum wonders about her. She is kind hearted to a fault. God bless Sweet Mama.

Yours is an exception,what I described is the rule
Re: Mother In-laws by yaskarahyelhope(f): 6:23pm On Feb 02, 2015
aisha2:
Stop acting like witches and wishing other human beings death. Solution is simple don't pretend to be totally obedient and ar-se kissers because you want a husband and if after you marry mother in law turns nasty you stand up to her and face her instead of smiling to her face and wishing her death behind.
Ehnn if she asks the man to divorce you let the man answer her by himself nah, even if he divorces you did he kill you?
Abeg stop pretending and face your issues
Lady or gentleman, am not married nor am I even engaged. I don't also wish my mother-in-law dead. In fact, I'll love to av a mother in-law coz I love my mum very much. I only posted this based on d scenarios I witnessed. D Buffon actually divorced his wife and for d other lady, d man with wisdom called his wife back home without d mother knowing. I don't av issues with anybody but in case one gets into this even wen d in-laws av shown so much likeness before d wedding.

Enof of our in-laws interferences. This is wat causes Saunders in marriages. Even wen d lady is not at fault. A fault will be looked for. God help our marriages!
Re: Mother In-laws by brut(f): 7:39pm On Feb 02, 2015
Generally most mother-inlaws are very selfish.You find out that they do not have an tangible reason for hating the suppose daughter inlaw.I have seen one who buried charm in the son's house just for him to hate his wife and do as she(mother inlaw) says.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Are The True Virtues For A Successful Marriage? / I Caught My House Maid Breastfeeding My Child...please HELP! / My Husband Wants To Divorce Me Because I Am Not A Virgin

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.