Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,434 members, 7,836,739 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 12:08 PM

No Rest For The Guilty.(A short story) most read - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / No Rest For The Guilty.(A short story) most read (758 Views)

Fate And Fortune(a Short Story) / Guilty [A Legal Thriller Sure To Keep You Glued To Your Screen] / Pleasure And Pain - A Short Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

No Rest For The Guilty.(A short story) most read by femi360(m): 3:46pm On Jan 29, 2015
The scent of orange and cardamom waft through her apartment as the cake bakes in the oven.Meanwhile,she continue the cleaning and dusting, wondering why she fill guilty if she sit around for too long enjoying some quiet time on her own. Today was a perfect day to go put some miles on her running shoes,however,when she got home,she felt drained,not just physically,but mantally as well.she wanted to run,enjoying the warm sunny day.Atleast every part of her mind wanted to run,but the rest of her wouldn't corperate.she collapsed on a sofa,hoping that a few minutes of relaxing will make her fill better.However,30 minutes of sitting arround,surfing the world-wide web, did nothing. In the last few days she have been trying to plan her forthcoming trip,trying to book tickets,hotels,things to do. As much as she look farward to 2 weeks adventure in new countries, new experiences and of course let's not forget the food,the part of trying to make it hapen is the least favourite part for her.Like everything else in her life,she over-think and obsess on details. After a while of making no headway with her plans,something in her snaps,making her feel guilty for not being constructive with her time. Runnig can be crossed off my list for this evening,as much as I have the desire for it,I cannot muster the strengh to step outside the door.may be baking something will make me feel better! Even though that is far from constructive from my waistline!! she wondered. Franca,a perfect woman from head to toe! A girl that when she sneezes,every one around her catchess cold! A girl of humour,charm,respect and dignity! She s a beauty beyong imagination! She has gotten sex apeal and everything a gentle man will ever crave for from a real african woman. She stare at the pantry and fridge wondering what she can make. Recently,I seem to be adding cardamom in every thing I bake,so why stop now. I have an orange,a lemon,yoghurt,eggs,butter,flour,sugar,which means I can bake a cake, she exclaimed! But what kind of cake is always the most challenging problem. I suppose this are first world problems,she wondered! So,Franca pull out the cardamom,during which time a bag of bay leaves fall out as well and then there is that orange which needs to get used,"some how I have an inclination that this is going to work in my favour" she exclaimed! Or so she think. Instead of grabbing a book,sitting down and enjoying the evening,she turned the oven on and get her mind working on what she can do to blend all the flavours together. She want to infuce the sugar with the cardamom and orange and bay leaves,she tell herself,worse case scenario! She proceed to blend the cardamom,bay leaves and orange rind into the sugar and set that aside. Next,she beat a stick of butter,add the flavoured sugar and eggs,yoghurt,flour and a squeeze of orange juice into it.she put the cake in the oven and hope that it will not be a disaster. Hmmm! There s nothing wrong with disaster,I have had my first share of them in the kitchen she said silently. Once she pull the cake out of the oven,she melt some powdered sugar with milk and yes a pinch if cardamom and drizzled it ontop of the cake.The outcome is not too bad,she taste the cardamom and a hint of bay leaves,however,it seems the orange overtook everything else.Next time maybe I will have to leave out the orange and add lemon instead. 'Now that the cake is baked and my kitchen is once again semi spotless,I can go back to my book or my vacation planning and that sense of guilt of sitting around enjoying my evening, will be gone and hopefully not to return for a while' Franca said to herslf.
Re: No Rest For The Guilty.(A short story) most read by Cybershow(m): 5:56pm On Jan 29, 2015
Hmmm...following sha
Re: No Rest For The Guilty.(A short story) most read by femi360(m): 10:41pm On Jan 30, 2015
Pls bear with me! Will be updated on monday!
Re: No Rest For The Guilty.(A short story) most read by ruffhandu: 4:24am On Jan 31, 2015
Good attempt Femi.
But:
you got carried away and mixed up the use of 'I' and 'she'
You need to check your tenses
You need to check your spellings eg, you wrote 'fill' instead of 'feel'
Just be consistent
You seem to have typed in a hurry.

In all, nice try.
Re: No Rest For The Guilty.(A short story) most read by femi360(m): 5:28pm On Jan 31, 2015
Tnx man!

(1) (Reply)

FORBIDDEN DREAMS (an Old Poem Of Mine Inspired By Yanni) / Episode 2: Chronicles Of Isioma By Joy Akosa / Vital Lesson Of Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.