Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,671 members, 7,809,537 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:00 AM

Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? - Music/Radio (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? (21633 Views)

"Work Hard": Simi Advises Upcoming African Artistes / African All-stars Feat. 180 African Artistes – #noto Xenophobia / AUDIO+VIDEO: African All-stars – We Are The World Ft. 180 African. Artistes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by betty202020(m): 4:09pm On Feb 19, 2017
because they nodey carry guy go America, na guy men full America. Naija na home of entertainment. Home of artists both harnessed and yet to be harnessed
Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by indomitable234: 4:10pm On Feb 19, 2017
i went to different stores in dubai january this year and they were playinging Nigeria songs all through most especially wizkid and psquare and i was like yes we are the king of music
GossipHeart:

Because there are no musicians in those African countries

Other countries in Africa who do music easily break into the Nigerian market

Take for example artist from the following countries easily breaks into the Nigerian market because they do good music

Jamaica

USA

Ghana

Congo

Cameroon, you see what Awilo Logomba did to Nigerian market ?? He still sell the songs he did 20 years ago in the Nigerian market

As for Nigerian music, we are the head of music in the whole world, go to Europe, Spain, North America, South America, everywhere in the world, people are playing Nigerian songs not because they understand it but because you can dance to the melody, sound and tempo

3 Likes

Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by Nobody: 4:11pm On Feb 19, 2017
GossipHeart:

Take for example artist from the following countries easily breaks into the Nigerian market because they do good music

Jamaica

USA

Ghana

Congo

Cameroon, you see what Awilo Logomba did to Nigerian market ?? He still sell the songs he did 20 years ago in the Nigerian market

As for Nigerian music, we are the head of music in the whole world, go to Europe, Spain, North America, South America, everywhere in the world, people are playing Nigerian songs not because they understand it but because you can dance to the melody, sound and tempo
Nwanne Inoo dia. Thumps up
Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by samstradam: 4:12pm On Feb 19, 2017
jiggaz:
I have been thinking lately why dis is so.. I mean
there are some songs by some African Acts that
will be ruling airwaves across Africa but we dont
even hear of them here in Nigeria & the farthest
they can come to West Africa will be Ghana. I
know Sarkodie was able to break into the market
likewise Cabo Snoop & a few others but dat is it.
One example is Nameless from Kenya, he
released a Hit single in Kenya called Sinzia in
2005/06. D song was very big in East Africa,
Central Africa & some parts of Southern Africa but
lo and behold it didnt even smell the shores of
Nigeria. Another example is d rampaging girl-
band ''Blu 3'' from Uganda. These girls burst onto
the African music scene in 2004 with their Hit
single ''Hitaji'' which ruled airwaves in East
Africa, Central Africa & Southern Africa. Though
some Nigerian radio stations played the song, it
didnt record any commercial success like it did in
other African countries. They released another
song in 2009 ''Where You Are'' ft Radio & Weasle
& it was a massive hit across Africa, it was also
number 2 on MTV Base African charts for weeks.
It was even played on MTV Europe. The farthest
they broke into West Africa was Ghana but never
Nigeria. There are other Hit songs by artistes
from East Africa that recorded so much success
around Africa but they did not make any impact in
Nigeria. Hit songs like Gold Digger by Jackie
Chandiru from Uganda, Siamini by TID from
Tanzania, Lookie Lookie by Stella Mwangi frm
Kenya & One and Only by Navio frm Uganda
etc.... I happen to know about these songs cos
i'm someone that loves good music no matter its
origin & i research very well too. Language is
neva a barrier to me. So my question is ''What do
u think is limiting these good African artistes from
breaking into the lucrative Nigerian music
market''? Is it language barrier, finances or what?
From what i discovered, artistes from East African
countries & Africa in general believes dat to break
into Mainstream Music in Africa, u have to
conquer Nigeria first which is true... So
nairalanders, spill ur opinions. Its all welcomed

The picture below is the Blu 3 girls from Uganda.

Also the fact that in those climes, naija music rules the airwaves shows their artist need to improve like the South Africans have.

A Blackman is just generally attracted to good sound, it's like a moth to a flame.( btw who remembers Chapelle's skit on what makes good sound to whites and blacks? one of the funniest and truest skits ever!)
Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by baslone: 4:19pm On Feb 19, 2017
nkemdi89:
Even our own Nigerian, musicians have to come down from abuja, jos to Lagos before they can " blow", here in the east there are so many music making waves but they are heardly off in Lagos which is the entertainment capital, vice versa. That's why I don't blame gifty of bbn for not knowing banky and falz, she may have heard their song but won't know them especially that of falz who is popular in the west, unfortunately the tribalists started accusing her of being fake.

She no get dstv for her house? She no dey watch bigger friday show on MTV base?

Falz is an headliner be it anywhere. Concerts from lagos, uk to Cyprus, Awards from headies to AMVCA.

Popular in the west but could hit endorsement deals- From Heineken, merrybet, checkiNigeria, and Remi Martin.

No time for fake people!! At least no be westerner pen this project! She goofed abeg! Let it fly!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by DuBLINGreenb(m): 4:28pm On Feb 19, 2017
mmsen:

Which Mavin artist?

Which Kenyan singer?

Those other people are irrelevant - I haven't seen anything on 'White Nigerian' in years.

When they are on the level of Davido or Wizkid then I will understand your complaint but as things stand they are not prominent.
Is 9ja USA or UK once they make their Millar they flee
Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by solexybadoo: 4:30pm On Feb 19, 2017
martineverest:
te fact that u listened to casper and nyovest doesnt mean others are trash.

SA musicians are known worldwide than nigerian musicians....femi kuti,asa and nneka that are only nigerians that are xploring the world
I said others are trash!!!
Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by nkemdi89(f): 4:44pm On Feb 19, 2017
[quote author=baslone post=53859061]

She no get dstv for her house? She no dey watch bigger friday show on MTV base?

Falz is an headliner be it anywhere. Concerts from lagos, uk to Cyprus, Awards from headies to AMVCA.

Popular in the west but could hit endorsement deals- From Heineken, merrybet, checkiNigeria, and Remi Martin.

No time for fake people!! At least no be westerner pen this project! She goofed abeg! Let it fly![/quote
I met an immigration officer in MMIA a Yoruba woman o and she was screening the passport of wizkid everyone were hailing him but the woman doesn't know him, she asked wizkid to sing any of his music if she may know any, later she called her daughter to identify any of his music, its all about choice, those in Enugu, anambra and ebonyi are familiar with zoro, phyno and flavor, they only began to appreciate olamide because of his collabos with phyno. Most eastern musicians have been reigning for years with little recognition but the moment they relocate or have major collaboration they hit, the last val show in owerri most people didn't attend because the major act was ycee, according to them he isn't popular,

1 Like

Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by LUCASC(m): 4:44pm On Feb 19, 2017
That's simply because we are the best, the likes of Kirmani, AKA, Emtee, Sarkodie, Diamond etc made their break through because they understand how Nigerian market is, and worked more on opportunities rather than competition.
Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by Gassa007: 4:47pm On Feb 19, 2017
martineverest:
trying to be u??smh

who cares about ur shores? U make better music and ur artistes troop to SA for video shoot?

Oga,ayam a nigerian and i listen to South African music more than nigeria's,except nigeria folks music like juju,highlife etc....SA artiste are more qualitative than naija artistes.

Lira,zahara,black coffee,black motions,steeters etc are far better
Lieing lair pants on fire,Mr Former Weldone Sir!!!

1 Like

Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by Nobody: 4:59pm On Feb 19, 2017
But why do sadist like to say nigerian music is pangolo...who cares if your choice of music is funeral songs.
Why castigate what millions of people enjoy just because you don't listen to them...
If those so called artist appeal to our ears of course we'll hear them, about the language ish, i'm a westerner but I love phyno, zoro and a couple of them,while I don't understand a thing same goes to Ghanaian music...
If you're good you'll sell your music anywhere...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by Oluwalosheleyi(m): 5:03pm On Feb 19, 2017
pocohantas:
Because the Nigerian market is saturated enough.

Nigerians are also bias in their own lil way.
Mr Eazy said Ghanian music influenced ours, you saw how Nigerians came for him? That's how bias and close knitted Nigerians are when it comes to mocking other African countries.

They also don't sing our kind of pangolo music.

Language is also a barrier, while our artistes are trying so hard to sound foreign. Lots of other african countries are still indigenous in their music.
So idiots like casper nvoyest, bebe cool and the rest dont sing pangolo abi? The truth is their beats are monotonous and boring while Nigerian artists are unique. Who in those countries can sing like Kiss Daniel?
Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by Nobody: 5:05pm On Feb 19, 2017
Nigerian artists never blow finish.
Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by gidjah(m): 5:36pm On Feb 19, 2017
kallmemrB:
1 language barrier
2 they dont sing junk loud music like what nigerians want
3 no time to listen to their music cos artist in nigeria are too much....music in nigeria is competing with nollywood movies in term of stewpidity
u correct bros, so do many foolishness in d music industry. nyansh n breasts must 'shake'in their videos else it won't appeal to d eyes ! I watched d mystic by few African s like Akon n d rests, u hardly see this rubbish, I watched video of vinz n nicco (am I wrong) and this other song (because am happy ) can't remember d guys name sef.u will love to watch d video again and again. no nudity and foolish lyrics. but my naija boys own different. they must shake Nash, shake breasts and twerk even when they claim they r in to gospel music.(u see them dress like jezebel )!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by UyiIredia(m): 5:41pm On Feb 19, 2017
Gmajor:
lol
most african countries rarely produce good music as compared to Nigerian. When u watch ugandan n kenyan music video u'll be like wtf. The look like one of those eddy remedy tracks from way back.
What do we need their trash for when we have artists that are 10x more talented than them

This guy dey yarn absolute NONSENSE !

1 Like

Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by sweetgala(m): 5:51pm On Feb 19, 2017
osamaBUSH:
It all boils down to promotion of the material. Even in the Northern part of the country you have great artiste but still have not smelt the market because breaking into the market is Toucher than it seems.

They need to move to Lagos and link up with alaba boys. Even Nigerian artist outside Lagos feel the need to relocate for that career to pick up
Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by MENTORCH(m): 6:28pm On Feb 19, 2017
naptu2:

A few songs by non-Nigerian Africans that have been popular in Nigeria

Uhuru - Khona (South Africa)

Mahoota & Vetkuk - Via Orlando (South Africa)

DJ Sbu ft Zahara - Lengoma (South Africa)

Mzbel - 16 years (Ghana)

Cabo Snoop - Windeck (Angola)

Toofan - Gweta (Togo)

Tic Tac - Kangaroo - Ghana

Awilo Longomba - Coupe Bibamba (Ivory Coast)

Angelique Kidjo - Agolo (Benin)

Angelique Kidjo - Voodoo Child (Benin)

Yvonne Chaka Chaka - Umquombothi (South Africa)

VIP - Ahonka Womu (Ghana)

Freshly Ground - Doobedoo (South Africa)

Mi Casa - Jika (South Africa)

Fuse - Azonto (Ghana)

Magic System - Premier Gaou (Ivory Coast)

Alpha Blondie - Fanta Diallo (Ivory Coast)

Brenda Fassie - It's Your Wedding Day (South Africa)

Brenda Fassie - Vulindlela (South Africa)

There are very many songs by other Africans that have been successful in Nigeria

Very correct, all these songs were mega hits in Nigeria.Some of them were even played more than Nigerian songs when they came out.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by Nobody: 6:33pm On Feb 19, 2017
Fuadeiza:
Did anybody notice this has been posted since 2015

That's the power of front page for you.
Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by Litmus: 6:41pm On Feb 19, 2017
kallmemrB:
1 language barrier
3 no time to listen to their music cos artist in nigeria are too much....music in nigeria is competing with nollywood movies in term of stewpidity

Perhaps this illustrates the reason. The authors effectively states that Nigerians like rubbish music and since the rest of Africa plays better music, Nigerians don't want to buy the good stuff. The author receives 74 likes for this self-deceit. May I suggest that to get the better of Nigerians, foreigners need to be honest with themselves. This is what Nigerians do, they criticize themselves always and this enables them to improve. Improve your music - in whatever genre you wish to compete with -and Nigerians will buy.
Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by iamord(m): 7:32pm On Feb 19, 2017
i have also noticed this, from my observation, i discovered that there are a few things owing up to the difficulty of African musicians penetrating into the Nigerian market... Nigerian market is already saturated but despite the fact.. there are a lot of African songs that are supposed to top the chart, and if you have the right vibe it will sell. .some of the problems are..
poor branding and online media presence, Nigerians are more aggressive in getting their name out there through their brand. you can see it from Instagram, twitter to their you tube views.. they ensure there is a strong engagement that could rival the ones in the western world hence getting more attention.
they spend money to get money!
non competitive music tv/radio from their region stations to air their music across borders,as it stands we have names like mtv base , sound city channel o and trace moving the pack.
artist making music to suite local market only,
weak and medicore artist managemet
also Nigeria seems to have bought in mtv and trace.. so any artist wanting to break needs to needs to act constructively and get connects for that massive airplay
Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by Ugosample(m): 9:28pm On Feb 19, 2017
pocohantas:
Because the Nigerian market is saturated enough.

Nigerians are also bias in their own lil way.
Mr Eazy said Ghanian music influenced ours, you saw how Nigerians came for him? That's how bias and close knitted Nigerians are when it comes to mocking other African countries.

They also don't sing our kind of pangolo music.

Language is also a barrier, while our artistes are trying so hard to sound foreign. Lots of other african countries are still indigenous in their music.

Nigerian artistes trying to sound foreign? shocked shocked shocked

Like who and who?
Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by Ugosample(m): 9:46pm On Feb 19, 2017
martineverest:
smh,...what quality does nigerian artiste have?

South africans are far better,abeg.......they have atleast 3-5 grammy winners and naija is yet to record one

Who Grammy help?

Nigerian artistes will pull more crowd anywhere in the world than any S.A. artiste, both contemporary and old skool artistes, so they can keep their Grammy to themselves.

1 Like

Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by martineverest(m): 9:50pm On Feb 19, 2017
Ugosample:

Who Grammy help?

Nigerian artistes will pull more crowd anywhere in the world than any S.A. artiste, both contemporary and old skool artistes, so they can keep their Grammy to themselves.

lady black mambaso is enoff to finish pSquare+ davido+2face on world stage
Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by TheGreatIYANU: 10:30pm On Feb 19, 2017
nkemdi89:
Even our own Nigerian, musicians have to come down from abuja, jos to Lagos before they can " blow", here in the east there are so many music making waves but they are heardly off in Lagos which is the entertainment capital, vice versa. That's why I don't blame gifty of bbn for not knowing banky and falz, she may have heard their song but won't know them especially that of falz who is popular in the west, unfortunately the tribalists started accusing her of being fake.

THANK YOU!!! <3

1 Like

Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by Ugosample(m): 10:34pm On Feb 19, 2017
martineverest:
lady black mambaso is enoff to finish pSquare+ davido+2face on world stage

Story story.
Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by tosynAB(m): 1:12am On Feb 20, 2017
martineverest:
te fact that u listened to casper and nyovest doesnt mean others are trash.

SA musicians are known worldwide than nigerian musicians....femi kuti,asa and nneka that are only nigerians that are xploring the world

idiot fellow, don't forget that some country in Europe are paying money before they can get Nigeria songs which serve as source income for their country, Nigeria song are playing world wide don't forget that america record label are sign Nigerians pass other in Africa and asia. don't forget that Nigeria singer are marking money pass other in Africa. don't forget that Nigeria have being nominated for Grammy since day 1.
Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by kstix(m): 6:13am On Feb 20, 2017
GossipHeart:

Jamaica

USA

Ghana

Congo

Wehdone sir. Head of music in the world? Stop kidding urself please

1 Like

Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by Kaycee7(m): 7:56am On Feb 20, 2017
kallmemrB:
1 language barrier
1. There's no such thing as language barrier in art. Diamond, Sarkodie, Sauti Sol, Awilo Longomba, e.t.c that broke into the Naija market, do we understand their language?

2. African music is usually loud and hip. An influence from our indigenous cultural music. So this point is null and void as well.

3. There's no such thing as too many artists. No matter how many artists exist, as long as your art is appealing, you'll always find fans.
Also, you must probably be watching all these crap home videos marketed on wheelbarrows. Get to the nearest cinema and watch a Nollywood movie.
Also, our music ain't stupid.

Bottomline : Any African artiste that can't break into the Naija market is because his music style doesn't appeal to a lot of Nigerians.
Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by Kaycee7(m): 8:08am On Feb 20, 2017
gidjah:
u correct bros, so do many foolishness in d music industry. nyansh n breasts must 'shake'in their videos else it won't appeal to d eyes ! I watched d mystic by few African s like Akon n d rests, u hardly see this rubbish, I watched video of vinz n nicco (am I wrong) and this other song (because am happy ) can't remember d guys name sef.u will love to watch d video again and again. no nudity and foolish lyrics. but my naija boys own different. they must shake Nash, shake breasts and twerk even when they claim they r in to gospel music.(u see them dress like jezebel )!

You make it sound like Nigerians have the monopoly on lewd music. Anaconda by Nicki Minaj, B0oty by JLo, A55 by Big Sean, Belly Dancer by Akon, In luv with a str1pper by Convict Music, e.t.c
How many top artistes in Nigeria built a career on lewd music? Most lewd tracks circulating are usually from one-hit wonders.
Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by LeSudAfricaine: 2:00pm On Feb 20, 2017
Gmajor:
lol
most african countries rarely produce good music as compared to Nigerian. When u watch ugandan n kenyan music video u'll be like wtf. The look like one of those eddy remedy tracks from way back.
What do we need their trash for when we have artists that are 10x more talented than them
African music hasn't cracked South Africa either to a large extent, dont overype yourselves
Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by LeSudAfricaine: 2:02pm On Feb 20, 2017
martineverest:
smh,...what quality does nigerian artiste have?

South africans are far better,abeg.......they have atleast 3-5 grammy winners and naija is yet to record one
exactly!
Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by LeSudAfricaine: 2:03pm On Feb 20, 2017
Notime4drama:
angry dude we all know all africans are trying to be us.To me i feel SA only has casper nyovest and AKA penetrating our shores the rest na wash
trying to be you? Nigerians and delusions, can you please elaborate

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Burna Boy - Let Go Ft. Kizz Daniel, Mayorkun, Small Doctor, Zoro & Kaffy (Video) / E.M.E Feat. Wizkid - "Dance For Me" / Dbanj Oliver Twist Official Video HD

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.