Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,804 members, 7,956,057 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 10:54 PM

1600 People To Loose Their Job Daily In The Uk In 2009 - Are You Scared? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 1600 People To Loose Their Job Daily In The Uk In 2009 - Are You Scared? (1020 Views)

A Picture Of Ibori In 2009 After Asaba Court Ruled In His Favour / The 1600 Buses GEJ Launched Were Bought By Yar'adua? / Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

1600 People To Loose Their Job Daily In The Uk In 2009 - Are You Scared? by bronxdog: 10:49am On Dec 29, 2008
1600 whooping jobs to be lost on a daily babsis in the UK in 2009 - how does this affect Nigerians?
Re: 1600 People To Loose Their Job Daily In The Uk In 2009 - Are You Scared? by damiso(f): 11:55am On Dec 29, 2008
The Lord is our sufficiency. grin and you must know that Nigerians are resillient people wherever they are, be it the north pole.We survived SAP and if push comes to shove we go home or those at home start sending us western union. grin
Re: 1600 People To Loose Their Job Daily In The Uk In 2009 - Are You Scared? by BOSS7: 12:31pm On Dec 29, 2008
damiso:

The Lord is our sufficiency. grin and you must know that Nigerians are resillient people wherever they are, be it the north pole.We survived SAP and if push comes to shove we go home or those at home start sending us western union. grin

That's cool but on another note, I could tell you an account of what me, a full blooded Nigerian has witnessed over the past couple of months in the company I work with. If I tell you some drastic and unusual cuts that have been made in order to save money, you'll probably not believe especially people reading from Nigeria.

Issues below have been raised and all in effect,
The company order book have gone down by 86% (to my knowledge)
Switching off the office electricities in broad-day light so as to reduce energy (as the company pays at least £1.1 Million in electricity bills monthly and yes this is fact as I work in the Electrical Power and Distribution Department).
A compulsory two weeks break from 19th December to 5th January (however with full pay) so as to reduce electricity.
Not boiling more than 3kettles of water daily while making your own tea and ask others of their interest before boiling water to make teas.
The pow-wow (office water bottles) have been taken off offices.
Company mobile phones (on a monthly contract) have been taken from us and replaced with cheaper pay as you go from TESCO.
The road-tax have been taken off the company vans and that means they're all restricted to driving within the company yard.
There's no more food available when you go for professional courses.
Professional cources that were meant to be conducted externally have all been cancelled and they've hired someone locally to conduct the training.

Even, a wage cut of 10% have been mentioned but this was outright rejected by staff members in favour of instead working a 4-day shift and getting the same equivalent pay,

, and much more that couldn't be mentioned.

The board have hinted they want to avoid the last resort of cutting staff but if things fail to yield posotively, then the unthinkable of shelving jobs might happen and this is what loads of companies are doing (Honda, BMW, etc)  while there are Nigerians among these people losing their jobs.

On the long run, how does it affect Nigerians in the UK as a whole, well that's hard to say because Nigerians attain all levels of responsibilities right from the street cleaner to making decisions on the mega investment banks so it would eventually be a knock-on effect on anyone regardless of your naionality when these drastic job-cuts are mentioned because job cuts don't discriminate.

2009 looks gloomy (gosh I wish I have a crystal ball) but hopefully things pick up soon,as this whole credit crunch is artificial,

Two of my colleagues have been unable to secure a job since graduating from their MSc degree in September, not even a menial one and my very close friend is suffering the same fate with a Pharmacy degree and still job-huning for the past six months. All the aforementioned have bought tickets and would be going to Nigeria in January so I guess in a way, it increases the effect on the Nigerian government when more burdened people with the right to residency in their country go back with weight on their shoulder hoping to be lifted.

Heaven help us all, but as for me, SCARED - NO, WORRIED - HELL YEAH !!!
Re: 1600 People To Loose Their Job Daily In The Uk In 2009 - Are You Scared? by asha80(m): 12:37pm On Dec 29, 2008
shocked shocked shocked
Re: 1600 People To Loose Their Job Daily In The Uk In 2009 - Are You Scared? by Bandito(f): 12:50pm On Dec 29, 2008
2009 looks gloomy (gosh I wish I have a crystal ball) but hopefully things pick up soon,as this whole credit crunch is artificial,

how do you come about this?
Re: 1600 People To Loose Their Job Daily In The Uk In 2009 - Are You Scared? by damiso(f): 1:15pm On Dec 29, 2008
Had that worry as well a couple of months back when the company i work for acquired another ailing company into the group.Come and see mad speculation as we knew that they would be duplication of roles,it took a meeting with the head of our SBU to actually slightly allay people's fears about their job security.At the end of year briefing,they still kept on hammering on the fact that we did not have to worry, we are in a good place bla bla as they don't want the gloom to start affecting staff productivity.Even promised bigger bonuses as we did well in the last year.Still does not make people comfortable as am sure the executive at Lehman bros,Goldman Sachs etc said the same.

Guess we just have to be optimistic as me i don't want to be gloomy in 2009, as i said earlier the Lord is my suffiency.Guess i just have to save more and reduce my 'ojukokoro' shopping sprees sad.God help me undecided
Re: 1600 People To Loose Their Job Daily In The Uk In 2009 - Are You Scared? by Kobojunkie: 4:20pm On Dec 29, 2008
1600 to loose their job daily in the UK? What about the number of people getting jobs daily? Is that number not meaningful to the processing of the above? I mean there are people out there with new jobs regardless of the number that have lost their jobs in the same period.
Re: 1600 People To Loose Their Job Daily In The Uk In 2009 - Are You Scared? by otele(m): 5:13pm On Dec 29, 2008
scared . . .hell-no
there are probably no job losses in naija b/c there are no jobs to loose grin grin grin grin grin grin

i'll stay put (i was born here anyway) so i'm going nowhere, my dad came here when blacks were hated openly and recklessly treated. he stayed and has no regrets, married here and lived.

why should i not stay now when blacks can get education, get good jobs , ride big cars, live in large houses ,earn good pay and even follow cool babes cheesy

in my dad's time these were unthinkable but they survived. how much more now.
Re: 1600 People To Loose Their Job Daily In The Uk In 2009 - Are You Scared? by bronxdog: 6:27pm On Dec 29, 2008
Kobojunkie:

1600 to loose their job daily in the UK? What about the number of people getting jobs daily? Is that number not meaningful to the processing of the above? I mean there are people out there with new jobs regardless of the number that have lost their jobs in the same period.

Must you give foolish responses at all times? Why not go to the UK government and ask them this question? There is a problem with your reasoning.
Re: 1600 People To Loose Their Job Daily In The Uk In 2009 - Are You Scared? by bronxdog: 6:29pm On Dec 29, 2008
otele:

scared . . .hell-no
there are probably no job losses in naija b/c there are no jobs to loose grin grin grin grin grin grin

i'll stay put (i was born here anyway) so i'm going nowhere, my dad came here when blacks were hated openly and recklessly treated. he stayed and has no regrets, married here and lived.

why should i not stay now when blacks can get education, get good jobs , ride big cars, live in large houses ,earn good pay and even follow cool babes cheesy

in my dad's time these were unthinkable but they survived. how much more now.

Look at the way your mind reasons?

Who is talking about job loss in Nigeria and who cares when your Dad came here? We are talking about the apparent gloom all over, how is affects Nigerians in the UK, no one is asking if you will go home or when your Dad came here. Haha.
Re: 1600 People To Loose Their Job Daily In The Uk In 2009 - Are You Scared? by BOSS7: 5:52pm On Dec 30, 2008
Kobojunkie:

The fact remains there are more people hired than fired.
Re: 1600 People To Loose Their Job Daily In The Uk In 2009 - Are You Scared? by Kobojunkie: 5:58pm On Dec 30, 2008
@B.o.s.s, that is to be expected in an economic slow down, but it does matter that we understand it does not necessarily mean complete stand still, nor does it mean a 1929-type recession as this is what many, and even the media try sometimes to make it out to be.
Re: 1600 People To Loose Their Job Daily In The Uk In 2009 - Are You Scared? by Seun(m): 6:01pm On Dec 30, 2008
Booms and busts are a fact of life, just like summer and winter. They will survive.
Re: 1600 People To Loose Their Job Daily In The Uk In 2009 - Are You Scared? by OneVoice1: 6:30pm On Dec 30, 2008
You guys bringing such post or topic here should go and get a life, this ** FORUM IS ONLY MEANT FOR ISSUES AFFECTING NIGERIA < HOW TO MOVE US FORWARD, CREATE WEALTH FOR YOUNG GRADUATES & PROSPER US AS A NATION** so therefore restrain from mentioning anything partaining to the UK.

We don't need to know what's going on in that country or your yeye IT Courses your going for, the tea you drink if its PG Tips etc.

After all the greedy UK government are still holding on to over $10billion stolen by Abacha and logged in Natwest, HSBC & Barclays and the banks have refused to make the money available to us the Nigerians or give us any debt forgiveness.

** YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED **
Re: 1600 People To Loose Their Job Daily In The Uk In 2009 - Are You Scared? by Kobojunkie: 6:34pm On Dec 30, 2008
crazy loon alert!! grin
Re: 1600 People To Loose Their Job Daily In The Uk In 2009 - Are You Scared? by Ibime(m): 6:36pm On Dec 30, 2008
This thing no be joke o.

I have nothing to fear yet as I work in the defence sector, but who knows, if the economy gets much worse, countries could drastically cut their military spending and yawa could gas. Two of my guys who work in finance and IT already lost their jobs and another who was interning at Lehman had his internship terminated. My sister works in marketing and she is seeing a lot of cutbacks. My brother-inlaw just left his old company in the building sector to join another company working on the Olympics stadium, next thing you know, his old company went bust and all his old mates are out of work - lucky for him.  Now it seems like Government jobs and energy sector jobs are the only safe havens. Like my guy who does energy trading told me, there has never been a recession in the energy sector.
Re: 1600 People To Loose Their Job Daily In The Uk In 2009 - Are You Scared? by princekevo(m): 7:36pm On Dec 30, 2008
bronx_dog:

Must you give foolish responses at all times? Why not go to the UK government and ask them this question? There is a problem with your reasoning.

The fact remains there are more people hired than fired.

Me i tire for the guy. It dosnt even move him that 1600 are gonna loose their job daily in 2009 in country like UK.If the world economy remains like this for long time can he multiply 1600people one month to know the average of people who are at the risk being unemployed jst for one month. He never thought of the cause and reasons for the speculation.
Everywhere in the world we know companies are laying off workers to cut cost in order to survive an economic crises we dont know when it shall end and he is talking about how many people who are to be employed. Ask him many companies that are ready to employ workers at this moment. Does he understands how many companies that have close up since september coz of the economic crises.
Re: 1600 People To Loose Their Job Daily In The Uk In 2009 - Are You Scared? by Ibime(m): 7:44pm On Dec 30, 2008
What Kobojunkie doesn't understand is that these figures represent the net loss of jobs from the country i.e jobs created - jobs lost = -1600.
Re: 1600 People To Loose Their Job Daily In The Uk In 2009 - Are You Scared? by Kobojunkie: 7:52pm On Dec 30, 2008
yes,  even though the article does not mention this being a NET LOSS,  let us inject it so we can claim it is  calculated that way. WOOHOO!!!

[size=13pt]1,600 jobs a day to go[/size]

http://news.scotsman.com/uk/1600-jobs-a-day-to.4826286.jp

NEXT year could be the worst for jobs in two decades, with 600,000 workers facing redundancy in the UK and others suffering a pay freeze, a gloomy report predicts today.
The Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD) warned that when the recession ends, more than a million jobs could have been lost in the UK.

The institute, which represents managers and personnel staff, forecast that unemployment will stop short of three million, but it warned that the period between New Year and Easter will be the worst for redundancies since 1991.

The institute did not give a precise breakdown of expected job losses for Scotland, but, with 600,000 forecast to go across the UK, its share is likely to be at least 60,000. The UK figure represents 1,600 job losses a day.

The report is the latest in a series of dire forecasts for 2009. Last week, the British Retail Consortium said it expected 2008 to be the worst year for shops in many years.

This year's festive period has seen the fall of Woolworths and MFI; the clothing chain Officer's Club putting 150 stores up for sale; the tea and coffee firm Whittard of Chelsea going into administration; and problems at coffee retailer Beanscene. Yesterday, clothing retailer Adams confirmed it was calling in the administrators. Meanwhile, the Scottish Council for Development and Industry said yesterday it expected 2009 would be the first year of negative growth for almost three decades, and its chief executive, Dr Lesley Sawyers, said there would be more high-profile casualties in the coming 12 months.

The pessimistic message was reinforced by the CIPD's chief economist, John Philpott. He said: "This time last year, in the face of some scepticism, the CIPD warned that 2008 would be the UK's worst year for jobs in a decade. It was, but in retrospect it will be seen as merely the slow-motion prelude to the worst year for jobs in almost two decades.

"The CIPD's annual barometer forecast is that the UK economy will shed at least 600,000 jobs in 2009. Overall, the 18-month period from the start of the recession in mid-2008 until the end of 2009 will witness the loss of around three-quarters of a million jobs, equivalent to the total net rise in employment in the preceding three years."

A survey of 2,600 workers by the CIPD showed that more than one in four did not expect a pay rise next year. A similar number believed any wage increase will be lower than in 2008, while some feared a wage cut.

CIPD reward adviser, Charles Cotton, said: "With job cuts seemingly lurking around every corner employees are realistic about their pay prospects for the year ahead.

Iain Gray, the Scottish Labour leader, warned yesterday that Scotland was being left behind in its response to the economic crisis. He accused Holyrood ministers of being "paralysed" in their response.

And he claimed uncertainty over the Scottish Futures Trust – the Scottish Government's alternative to PPP and PFI funding – was making the situation worse.

But finance secretary John Swinney insisted that the picture north of the Border was better than in many parts of the UK.

He said: "Scotland continues to have significantly lower unemployment and higher economic activity rates than the UK as a whole, and within its powers the Scottish Government is doing all it can to help business and families.

"But the economic downturn will bite hard in 2009, and these measures will be more important than ever."
Re: 1600 People To Loose Their Job Daily In The Uk In 2009 - Are You Scared? by earTHMama: 8:03pm On Dec 30, 2008
The economy is not my provider. God is my provider.

olorun ni olupese ati oluso wa.
Re: 1600 People To Loose Their Job Daily In The Uk In 2009 - Are You Scared? by Ibime(m): 9:21pm On Dec 30, 2008
Kobojunkie, do you think companies call the Government to inform them whenever they sack a bunch of workers? In the UK, when we say x jobs have been lost, we mean y jobs were lost, but z were created, where y-z = x. All these figures are determined from the no of people claiming unemployment benefits every week, not because companies are notifying Government everytime they downsize. If z jobs are created, then z less people claim unemployment benefits and we know that there is a net gain of jobs into the economy. The net increase in unemployment claimants, calculated with the census figures and no of National Insurance contributions tells the government how many jobs are being lost and so on.
Re: 1600 People To Loose Their Job Daily In The Uk In 2009 - Are You Scared? by oderemo(m): 9:23pm On Dec 30, 2008
amen
Re: 1600 People To Loose Their Job Daily In The Uk In 2009 - Are You Scared? by tpia: 9:24pm On Dec 30, 2008
until it happens nah.

why get a heart attack in the meantime. Just do job training in some other field,or start planning in case.
Re: 1600 People To Loose Their Job Daily In The Uk In 2009 - Are You Scared? by shotster50(m): 12:33am On Dec 31, 2008
They way people sound sometimes, you would think the Credit crunch is an entirely UK problem.

(1) (Reply)

Fg Replies Sanusi: 7-point Agenda Stays / Gang Of Kidnappers Intercepted By Police In Enugu / Jonathan Woos Anyaoku For INEC Job

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.