Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,845 members, 7,810,255 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:56 AM

Diary of my Dog Cooper. - Pets (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Diary of my Dog Cooper. (48852 Views)

Why I Named My Dog ‘buhari’ — Joe Chinakwe / Cooper/Eve slant puppies ready for pick up (Pics) / New Owner (Cooper and Vera Slant GSD) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Diary of my Dog Cooper. by Nobody: 10:09am On Mar 09, 2015
deeptesting:
Cooper is a fearless young dude, i don't let him close to my Caucasian because he likes playing rough and the Caucasian named Bentley can go hard on him... Note: I also own the Caucasian but don't like fronting him because he is not a pedigree...

I want to promote pure breed.

A lot of Dog lovers here. Your Caucasian looks healthy but am no lover of Dog neither do I hate them
Re: Diary of my Dog Cooper. by ddaammyy(f): 10:26am On Mar 09, 2015
Wow! A captivating thread it sure is! I just love this dog Cooper nd the owner is doing a wonderful job. I was moved to tears of joy when I read the stories of some other dogs on this thread. I love dogs but I dnt have any.

1 Like

Re: Diary of my Dog Cooper. by cotzywitzy(m): 11:05am On Mar 09, 2015
Kudos to Cooper and its Owner... wonderful Job... Please upload more pic for us... Enjoying this thread....
Re: Diary of my Dog Cooper. by Nobody: 11:48am On Mar 09, 2015
lacicrips:

Thank you for this, will contact them.

My puppy is a gsd, not pure like your own sha, but I don't mind, I still love him.

Part of the reason I want to switch his diet is because his poo is just too large. Looks like we're competing.
cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Diary of my Dog Cooper. by sunnshyn(f): 12:20pm On Mar 09, 2015
Great read! Thank you Deeptesting for sharing and Copper for being a great companion. I'm a great lover of dogs too but do not currently have any now, hopefully in the nearest future!
Re: Diary of my Dog Cooper. by kolokolobi(m): 12:37pm On Mar 09, 2015
@darealistic....hazad chewing on shoes and jumping all over you can be controlled. On the jumping part I'm almost too sure when it gets exited you go on to hug and cuddle it. You just told the dog I'm happy you're this exited and jumping all over me. Next time it gets all waggy tailed coming to jump at you .....turn your back to it....or ignore it's exitement. Tell it to sit. When it does sit reward it with a treat or then give it attention and affection. Repeatedly with consistency it will learn to sit and look up to you even when excited.
on shoe chewing it may have been tearing at some old stuff while it was a puppy while you urged on or didn't stop it which the dog translates as approval. You have to start registering with the dog that chewing on shoes is not allowed in your pack. You could start by bringing an old shoe around. When it wants to do as it does, that is chew, you say no....bad dog...and separate it from the shoe. Make sure it does not go into a tug with you so it doesn't think it's play. Repeat until when it sees a shoe and it just stares at it without chewing or totally ignores it then you say good dog...and reward it with a treat and a hug. Consistently done it will associate good behaviour and reward with not chewing and stop.

3 Likes

Re: Diary of my Dog Cooper. by stonecoldcafe: 1:51pm On Mar 09, 2015
Love d thread; sharply following. I love dogs but I don't know too much. I own one though, her name is zoxi
Re: Diary of my Dog Cooper. by doggiemann(m): 5:04pm On Mar 09, 2015
deeptesting:
Yes, after much research i was able to get Cooper eat his royal canine to my satisfaction. I cannot say the method is perfect until repeated trial works out the expected result. What I did was to have a schedule for his exercise, water and food.. I placed his food for him at the schedule time and he has 15mins to finish the business. He ate a little and once the 15mins is up I took the food away & water.

4hrs after was the next schedule and I brought his good & water he ate more compared to his first meal, 15 mins up I took the food away and the water, followed in another 4hrs and he ate more, he kept improving eating more portion and drinking lots of water. Cooper is just a Puppy and should not be expected to eat much at an interval, like. Little baby's little portions at intervals works for him.

Also, because I was concerned about his eating habit I will always leave little portion of food down for him which leads to "snacking" and does not allow him to concentrate on a regular schedule meal. I hope to try this out tomorrow and see how it works. Meanwhile his last meal/water comes by 6pm and last water for the day by 7.30pm.

Very good approach to feed him. Keep it up
Re: Diary of my Dog Cooper. by doggiemann(m): 5:05pm On Mar 09, 2015
lacicrips:
Deeptesting, you seem quite knowledgeable about gsds, what do you think of this: https://www.nairaland.com/2160108/female-slantback-german-shepherd-puppy

I really would like to have her, but the seller seem a bit arrogant, and it's making me lose interest already.

Apologies for derailing from the original discussion.

That dog there looks very cool, though it would be nice to see the parents and also know the dog's pedigree details
Re: Diary of my Dog Cooper. by doggiemann(m): 5:08pm On Mar 09, 2015
I am a dog breeder and lover too. I really have a thing for large breeds. I love my rotweilers, they are a part of my family.

@deeptesting keep updating your diary, I found it really interesting reading through. Keep up the good work. I hope all dog owners can do same too
Re: Diary of my Dog Cooper. by deeptesting(m): 9:04pm On Mar 09, 2015
Wow! thanks to everyone and especially to those who moved Cooper`s dairy to the front page. Please bear with me i was not here to respond to comments but i am so so grateful and happy that i am not wasting time, effort and money on Cooper. I was with my Doctor today and was going back and forth from the hospital to Mecure at Oshodi for an x-ray. I have got to take care of myself to take care of Cooper.

I will surely find time to respond to everyone as i continue to update the thread on Cooper`s development.

If God permits me this thread will continue till Cooper gets to 2years, May God grant us good health and long life.
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you all!

2 Likes

Re: Diary of my Dog Cooper. by MockinJay(m): 3:31am On Mar 10, 2015
hormoryhemii:
I love Caucasians and golden retrievers

Same here (@ the bolded) I'm also currently searching to get one. Who know any place?
Re: Diary of my Dog Cooper. by deeptesting(m): 12:00pm On Mar 10, 2015
winner95:
This is rather interesting, I'm already loving dis dog. So cute!

Thanks a lot.
Re: Diary of my Dog Cooper. by stonecoldcafe: 12:06pm On Mar 10, 2015
deeptesting:
Wow! thanks to everyone and especially to those who moved Cooper`s dairy to the front page. Please bear with me i was not here to respond to comments but i am so so grateful and happy that i am not wasting time, effort and money on Cooper. I was with my Doctor today and was going back and forth from the hospital to Mecure at Oshodi for an x-ray. I have got to take care of myself to take care of Cooper.

I will surely find time to respond to everyone as i continue to update the thread on Cooper`s development.

If God permits me this thread will continue till Cooper gets to 2years, May God grant us good health and long life.
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you all!
God bless you brother!
Re: Diary of my Dog Cooper. by deeptesting(m): 5:24pm On Mar 10, 2015
XBLadez:
Hehehe! I've been following this thread for some time, and I didn't expect it to make the front page now. Maybe when Cooper is old enough
Nice work, Deeptesting!

Thanks @XBladez for following the thread, i hope you continue to visit it when time permits you. I will continue to do an update as time permits.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Diary of my Dog Cooper. by deeptesting(m): 5:30pm On Mar 10, 2015
hormoryhemii:
nice thread and informative too,
I love dogs and I use to have one before but had to sell due to old age and no time to take care of the dog well, I mean taking her on a walk, regular bathing, and the likes, planing to get another one though, a rott or a boarboel but personally I love Caucasians and golden retrievers
an observation with an advice, why don't you use cod liver oil the syrup though cos yah dog still a puppy, cos of the skin actually, if old age is not my problem when it comes to my sight I think your dogs fur ain't that glossy and shiny, coupled with other benefit of using the cod liver oil, you can get one at agege, freedom vet or mummy Daniels shop

Thanks...I will check out for the Cod liver oil syrup next time i visit the dog shop. Cooper loves rolling on sand, you just can`t stop him, he wants to play,chase things around. You also have to be careful with bathing him regularly otherwise you loose the glossy skin,i am fixing a room up for him which i will update on this thread as soon as i am done.

1 Like

Re: Diary of my Dog Cooper. by XBLadez: 5:33pm On Mar 10, 2015
deeptesting:

Thanks @XBladez for following the thread, i hope you continue to visit it when time permits you. I will continue to do an update as time permits.
You're welcome. Just keep updating us, it's fun and educating
Re: Diary of my Dog Cooper. by Nobody: 5:48pm On Mar 10, 2015
i just love dogs!!! smiley
Re: Diary of my Dog Cooper. by hormoryhemii(m): 5:49pm On Mar 10, 2015
MockinJay:

Same here (@ the bolded) I'm also currently searching to get one. Who know any place?

check on OLX
Re: Diary of my Dog Cooper. by MockinJay(m): 7:49pm On Mar 10, 2015
hormoryhemii:

check on OLX

grin see this guy o! OLX gini? The ones there is silver Retrievers cheesy bad people full there my brother
Re: Diary of my Dog Cooper. by kuzee(m): 8:15am On Mar 11, 2015
sorry for derailing your thread..
I have a problem with my male dog, 4 month + now..
of recently the poop ain't solid like before. . but now watery, what could be the problem?
♒I just deworm the dog 27th of Feb.. any solution to the problem?
Re: Diary of my Dog Cooper. by Seun(m): 9:00am On Mar 11, 2015
kuzee:
sorry for derailing your thread..
I have a problem with my male dog, 4 month + now..
of recently the poop ain't solid like before. . but now watery, what could be the problem?
♒I just deworm the dog 27th of Feb.. any solution to the problem?
Create a new thread to ask this question please. We need to keep the forum well organised and more user friendly.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Diary of my Dog Cooper. by kuzee(m): 9:46am On Mar 11, 2015
Seun:
Create a new thread to ask this question please. We need to keep the forum well organised and more user friendly.
it alright bros, just found a solution to the problem from what I've researched so far..
I decided to post my question here for others also to learn from it.. sorry for the derailing
Re: Diary of my Dog Cooper. by Seun(m): 10:44am On Mar 11, 2015
kuzee:

it alright bros, just found a solution to the problem from what I've researched so far..
I decided to post my question here for others also to learn from it.. sorry for the derailing
How will others learn if the question is posted in the middle of a long thread that has nothing to do with it? A new thread is the right way.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Diary of my Dog Cooper. by Nobody: 1:14pm On Mar 11, 2015
kuzee:

So what was the solution to the problem? Mine seems to have same problem.
Re: Diary of my Dog Cooper. by deeptesting(m): 8:52pm On Mar 11, 2015
Cooper is doing fine, got a new space completed for him today,trying to potty train him so he does not have to mess the place up.. Update will come tomorrow.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Diary of my Dog Cooper. by braindamage(m): 11:35pm On Mar 11, 2015
Brilliant thread.. I should learn a lot here #following.

1 Like

Re: Diary of my Dog Cooper. by deeptesting(m): 7:05pm On Mar 12, 2015
I couldn't take pictures today,hopefully will do tomorrow but this is how i potty train Cooper. Being a Puppy he cannot hold urine or poo for too long like an adult dog.

So i make sure when i feed him in the morning i take him on a walk round the compound after 10mins or 20mins he will find a spot to poo then i will return him to his room.

I ensure he takes his last meal before 6pm then i walk round for 20mins and he does his poo and we say good night, sweet dream to each other. I give him a lot of pet immediately he Poo's which he enjoys,now once i take him out after eating he wants to Poo to get his treat.

Cooper has come to understand that he is not permitted to poo in his room.

At the moment i cannot control his pee because he drinks a lot of water due to the dry food he is taking and urinates,he is still a Puppy, that is ok just a little job to mop the tiles.
Re: Diary of my Dog Cooper. by kolokolobi(m): 9:01pm On Mar 12, 2015
Well done on the potty training. I did potty train a couple of pups in the past but I started from an area away from the resting and play space of the dog. It did both major and minor ones in that area. Then I moved to a grassy area away outside the compound and it took along the major and minor business to that spot also. I agree Cooper is still a puppy so may not yet hold pee but what you can also do is to take it out to that same spot to pee after a drink of water. It may now begin to attempt not to pee within its play area and start giving you signals it wants to go out to the spot. This may be winces or unecessary movements or to and fro movements to the exit point. If these signs go unoticed it will lead to that circular spiral movement that leads to a pee session. Great work you're doing though.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

The Owl A Nairalander Caught At A Site / Man Takes Selfie With His Goat(photo) / Some Ladies And Dogs Now.. Trending Thing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.