Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,622 members, 7,823,743 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 02:16 PM

Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? (48187 Views)

With Third Class Degree Is Their Any Hope / I Graduated With 2.2,can I Have My Masters In Canada? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? by Bolarge(m): 11:51am On Sep 11, 2006
So the 3rd classes and drop-outs have it!
 What's the point going for lectures then?or to school at all for that matter?
My 3rd class will certainly be secure if I spend all my university days in the female hostels and my weekends at the never ending raves n'parties grin. And in the unlikely event I miss the coveted 3rd class shot n' I'm politely asked to withdraw from( or I'm booted out of) my chosen course of study-that makes me a potential Bill Gates(an often cited drop-out)
WHEN IN GOD'S NAME WILL WE STOP CELEBRATING MEDIOCRITY? It's high time we re-imbibe the legacies of excellence,hardwork,integrity and self-esteem and bequeath these to the up-coming younger generation. GOD help us!
Re: Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? by Radiant(f): 12:09pm On Sep 11, 2006
Amiphat:

NIGERIANS, We get a full page of "intellectual discourse" while no one answered the bloody question at all, "Did Tony Elumelu graduate (for fact) with a 3rd Class degree or not? shocked
Atleast he has a degree right? what of those managers and other workers out there (NIGERIA)without a certificate? U just research the Nigerian system and bet you won't ask this question again. You so bothered about Elumelu, what about you?
Re: Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? by dude(m): 1:09pm On Sep 11, 2006
ok, it's been said before. would you employ someone who bagged an unmerited 2.1, or a merited 3rd class. i can convieniently  tell everyone on this forum that  about some 60-70% of those intimidating credentials you see are in truth unmerited. those of us that schooled in nigeria know there are people we have never seen in school, but ended up somehow in our year class book. i know of a nigerian celebrity i never saw for a split second during my school days in UNIJOS, but was suprised when i learnt he was suppose to be in my class, and the guy confidently grants interviews telling nigerians he "studied" and "graduated" maybe with a 2.1. WHAT CHEEK!  i have a 2.2, but there's NOTHING new in my field of study a 2.1 or even a ist class holder will teach me.

ok, here, do we even realise people attend school under different conditions? and have it occured to anyone that Flashy degrees doesnt always translate into excellent Performers? so elumelu bagged a 3rd class? hmmm. and yet he carried UBA to a good height, did a good merger Job, and many other M.D's who got 2.1's sank the banks under them.

i don't encouraged mediocrity, but will certainly not celebrate a charlatan either. period!
Re: Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? by ono(m): 1:32pm On Sep 11, 2006
I've been following the pattern of this discourse.

Is someone trying to tell us that no one should be looked down upon, discriminated against in job interviews, in marriage, etc etc, simply because of the class of his certificate? If yes, when will our society imbibe this new found fact about holders of 3rd class degree and other lesser certificates, diplomas, etc etc?
Re: Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? by Seun(m): 1:41pm On Sep 11, 2006
Employees have the freedom to discriminate against employers that don't pay well or provide good working atmosphere. In fact, employees have the freedom to discriminate against employers for any reason whatsoever. If you don't like a job for any reason, you can resign.

How would you feel if the government said you are not to discriminate against an employer that doesn't pay well or treats you badly. Even if the reason you don't want a job is because your boss would be a woman, your boss doesn't have first class, or your bosss does something that's contrary to your religious beliefs, would it make sense for you to be forced o work for such an employer? No, that would be slavery!

You have the right to choose who you want to work with, so why shouldn't employers have that same right? Why should I be forced to employ somebody whose credentials I don't like? That's an abominaion.

All you can do is educate employers on the possibility that some 3rd class graduates might be good for business.
Re: Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? by ono(m): 1:59pm On Sep 11, 2006
All you can do is educate employers on the possibility that some 3rd class graduates might be good for business.

Seun,
How do you plan to go about educating them? Besides, how would you know when even at interview stages, 3rd class degree holders are often discriminated againt?

I'll suggest that employers should provide a level playing field for all irrespective of the class of the degree anyone holds. Let these people prove their mettle and select the best at the end of the day. It might be laborious but I think this might help in the end.

I will also like to know how Tony of UBA got his first job and rose through the ranks to where he is today. Sometimes, it's wise to hear from the horse's mouth.
Re: Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? by Adedoja(f): 2:18pm On Sep 11, 2006
whether 3rd or 2nd class or pass, what matter most is what you achieve out of life. And where God want you to be. We should pray to always be at the right place, at the right time, because there is a right time for everybody. ALWAY BELEIVE IN YOURSELF.
Re: Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? by Radiant(f): 2:23pm On Sep 11, 2006
We all talking about interviews here. I wish that could be a genuine standard for employers.Gimme a break please. Have you thought about how many people get jobs based on the result of their interview? Most jobs are through connections and for the ladies an interview isn't necessary sometimes as the alternative could be having an affair with the boss or whoever. (Prove me wrong as some of you would)  undecided
Infact, how many workers in Nigeria have a degree   Most times, productivity is what really matters not necessarily the so called "degree"
Besides, a degree in a particular field don't mean you'll end up working in that filed. I know a pharmacist who's the manager of a car company in PH.
Also know a chemical engineer working at first bank. And so many others. How d'u explain that? undecided
Re: Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? by ashala(m): 2:29pm On Sep 11, 2006
Adedoja:

whether 3rd or 2nd class or pass, what matter most is what you achieve out of life. And where God want you to be. We should pray to always be at the right place, at the right time, because there is a right time for everybody. ALWAY BELEIVE IN YOURSELF.

Well spoken,u r quite right, BELIEVE IN URSELF., Thats the spirit.
Re: Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? by solosqr: 2:37pm On Sep 11, 2006
hhhmmm, thats quite informative if true.

I dont have infos on Tony E, so i cant say yes/no,

----------------------------------
Notes:
Our very own Baba Presido doesnt even have CLASS in the first place, much less to talk about if it was first/second/third, fourth or whatever!!!

but he's still our President.

See,One of the main reasons why Nigeria is still the way it is just like Amiphat pointed out.
NIGERIANS, We get a full page of "intellectual discourse" while no one answered the bloody question at all, "Did Tony Elumelu graduate (for fact) with a 3rd Class degree or not?
Re: Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? by rotbog(m): 2:59pm On Sep 11, 2006
Failure is Often a Better Teacher Than Success.

Unfortunately, Failure Often Gets "Hard To Teach, Slow to Learn" Students Posted to His Class. shocked shocked

Oh Poor Failure. So much effort yet so little results.

Food For Thot, though cool undecided
Re: Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? by stanleyo(m): 4:09pm On Sep 11, 2006
Believe it or not it might be due to a fault of his maybe he was working and studying parttime at the same time undecided
Re: Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? by kazey(m): 4:12pm On Sep 11, 2006
Abeg, its as simple as it is, It boils down to the individual's purpose in life and what determines success in that persons life.
Re: Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? by twinkledew(f): 4:55pm On Sep 11, 2006
Degree is nothing, experience is what most companies r looking for. i dont know about those peeps u mentioned.
Re: Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? by Chxta(m): 5:08pm On Sep 11, 2006
Me?

I 'played' away my school days as a businessman. Had more money then than anyone else in my class, but what has it gotten me? Regrets.

We should learn to encourage people so they be the best they can be.
Re: Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? by dude(m): 5:19pm On Sep 11, 2006
Chxta:

Me?

I 'played' away my school days as a businessman. Had more money then than anyone else in my class, but what has it gotten me? Regrets.

sorry oh. well, it's for the likes of you that national open university of nigeria was established.if the status of your degree worries you so much,try and enrole. hopefully, you will make a first class this time if you play less.

Seun:

very well. you could also take this campaign futher by also educating the same employees that many of our 2.1's and first class degree holders don't deserve their degree and might not be good for business either.

Chxta:

Me?

We should learn to encourage people so they be the best they can be.

my point exactly. people should be encouraged to get and be their best. not buy degrees, flash it around and look down on folks who are being themselves by being honest about their educational status.

Bolarge:

WHEN IN GOD'S NAME WILL WE STOP CELEBRATING MEDIOCRITY? It's high time we re-imbibe the legacies of excellence,hardwork,integrity and self-esteem and bequeath these to the up-coming younger generation. GOD help us!

thank you. i spotted "integrity" there in your quote.  you will agree that not bribing  or sleeping with lecturers as most of our undergraduates\graduates do\did to get high grade is integrity. and ending up with an unmerited certificate is certainly not integrity in the true sense of the word.
Re: Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? by sly4reall: 6:43pm On Sep 11, 2006
pls be sure of ur info before u post anything. elumelu graduated from aau ekpoma. he read economics and graduated with a 2.2 and not a third class. am so sure of this. cheers. success in a career is not actually all about grade.
Re: Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? by donjazzie(m): 7:14pm On Sep 11, 2006
sly4reall:

please be sure of your info before u post anything. elumelu graduated from aau ekpoma. he read economics and graduated with a 2.2 and not a third class. am so sure of this. cheers. success in a career is not actually all about grade.

thanks brother is that a confirmation or sumtin i really need to be sure.thanks
Re: Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? by shashxxl(m): 9:22pm On Sep 11, 2006
The recipe for success which entrpreneurs and visionaries like Richard Branson ,Bill Gates, Warren Buffet adopt is to hire workforce of people smarter than they are i.e brokers,accountants,tax consultants,attorneys,MPs{in britain} Congressmen in America.
They use generic knowledge to control those with specific aptitude.
Re: Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? by 2old4that(m): 9:38pm On Sep 11, 2006
when someone got lower class; there is the tendency to want to learn more inorder to achieve higher class which seems to elude u. but if u graduated with higher class, the urge to learn more is not there because u think u've gotten there already and its better to leave for that alone. cheesy
Re: Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? by Nobody: 10:55pm On Sep 11, 2006
2old4that:

when someone got lower class; there is the tendency to want to learn more inorder to achieve higher class which seems to elude u. but if u graduated with higher class, the urge to learn more is not there because u think u've gotten there already and its better to leave for that alone. cheesy

where did you perform that research into such "tendencies"?
More likely the fellow who performed worse is less inclined to want to "learn" more, that is assuming he learnt anything in the first place!
Re: Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? by archbishop(m): 11:13pm On Sep 11, 2006
Hello Nairalanders,
this is not the issue, the issue is that U.B.A. will
not consider a Third class material for employment.
thank you and stay blessed.
Re: Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? by texazzpete(m): 11:14pm On Sep 11, 2006
Radiant:

We all talking about interviews here. I wish that could be a genuine standard for employers.Gimme a break please. Have you thought about how many people get jobs based on the result of their interview? Most jobs are through connections and for the ladies an interview isn't necessary sometimes as the alternative could be having an affair with the boss or whoever. (Prove me wrong as some of you would)  undecided
Infact, how many workers in Nigeria have a degree   Most times, productivity is what really matters not necessarily the so called "degree"
Besides, a degree in a particular field don't mean you'll end up working in that filed. I know a pharmacist who's the manager of a car company in PH.
Also know a chemical engineer working at first bank. And so many others. How d'u explain that? undecided

Most skilled workers in nigeria have degrees. How many companies in thsi da and age will fill their payroll with inept people all in the name of connections? If a bank hires 3 thru conections, they'd hire 20 on merit.

I've heard statements like "most students with high grades bribe or sleep with lecturers to get them" in this thread. Most people who mouth that are intellectually mediocre people who don ot have the guts to blame themselves for their academic woes. except you mean that those with poor degrees are those who do not bribe, are intelligent but are victimized into getting a poor grade.
i wish some nigerians would have the guts to blame themselves when things go wrong. I met a guy during my NYSC, easily as intelligent as myself (and i'm no dunce, lemme tell ya  grin) who graduated with a pass degree. he was candid enuff to tell his incredulous listeners that he got a Pass because, as he put it, "I was on too much crack & i bleeped up!"

Some Genius here also said "employers should give all job seekers a level playing ground, irrespective of the degree". So pray, tell me, O bright One, what then is the purpose of having a good degree then? what's the purpose of being serious in school? Even if a First class is too much of a stretch, can't peeps just work for a second class? Any more bright ideas, Einstein?

If i'm in HR, i'd give First class and all second class a level playing field. I'd assume that all Third class are either dunces, unserious people or both. Either way, they're bad for business.

Education's like a job. parents pay school fees, expecting u to deliver a decent result. U fail at that task woefully with a 3rd class, and then still expect to dine at the same table with serious people because, on a primal level, 'you can deliver'.

Much of what you learn in Naija Unis, u forget anyway. but Unis prep your mind for more things, makes u more intellectually minded, more open to new things. that's why graduates can cross overto different fields.
A good mechanical Engineering graduate will find it easier doing a Masters program in Biochemistry than Chris Uba  grin
Re: Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? by texazzpete(m): 11:16pm On Sep 11, 2006
archbishop:

Hello Nairalanders,
this is not the issue, the issue is that U.B.A. will
not consider a Third class material for employment.
thank you and stay blessed.

Rightly so! Would you consider that, if it were u?

If u got a 3rd class, go overseas and do a masters degree. That can cover up for your earlier 'sins' grin
Re: Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? by jmore: 11:53pm On Sep 11, 2006
Davdylan and his school of thot shd know that we're not saying the 1st class people are not good enough for the certificate. If u have that, it will then mean u worked hard to get there when others for one reason or the other concerned themselves with some other things that today has made them better for the Nigerian reality when it comes to enterpreneurship. The Erudites are just book worms and table people but the street guys are practical with all they touch. Nigeria for now has room for the so talked about 3rd class that to u do not mean something.
The GREAT ROOM - Room of self Development is only found in a diversified mind and not monotonous mind set job ( sign same papers every minute and day untill u resign and become useless to urself because u know nothing else).
Big ups to all the STREET BOYS that now control the economy of this country and can be heard all over when they open they're mouth to speak.
Re: Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? by Nobody: 1:16am On Sep 12, 2006
jmore:

Davdylan and his school of thot should know that we're not saying the 1st class people are not good enough for the certificate. If u have that, it will then mean u worked hard to get there when others for one reason or the other concerned themselves with some other things that today has made them better for the Nigerian reality when it comes to enterpreneurship. The Erudites are just book worms and table people but the street guys are practical with all they touch. Nigeria for now has room for the so talked about 3rd class that to u do not mean something.
The GREAT ROOM - Room of self Development is only found in a diversified mind and not monotonous mind set job ( sign same papers every minute and day untill u resign and become useless to yourself because u know nothing else).
Big ups to all the STREET BOYS that now control the economy of this country and can be heard all over when they open they're mouth to speak.

And who are the "diversified minds"? Those who had pass and third class degrees? So those who made first class or 2-1 degrees are simply "book worms and table people" only good enough to "sign papers every minute"? Who are the STREET BOYS? Did you mean to say the "unserious and unintelligent"?
Do you mean to tell me the only reason some did not make a good grade was because they "concerned themselves with some other things that today has made them better for the Nigerian reality when it comes to enterpreneurship."
In what way has making poor grades made them better? I'm sure if your "highly intellectual" deduction was right you wont be here typing nonsense.

If indeed Nigeria had "room" for 3rd class holders, why are they here complaining of being "discriminated" against?
Where is that room by the way? Some 2-2s are still looking for a job!

Stay there promoting mediocrity and areaboyism in the name of STREET BOYS, it is no wonder Nigeria is in such a bad shape!
Re: Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? by rotbog(m): 5:04am On Sep 12, 2006
Enough of all these vituperations. We must understand that the 3rd class crew are aggrieved.
Lets try to empathize and at least encourage them. We need to admit with them that theres still hope.

They can be better people in Life. All hope is not lost. Lets remember that line from Aaliya {May Her Soul Rest in Peace}:

"If at First U don't Succeed, Brace Your Self Up and Try Again"
Re: Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? by dayokanu(m): 7:58am On Sep 12, 2006
I got a 2-2 out of University from Ife to be precise but I would tell you that I got exactly what I deserved given the efforts I put into the study and I have never complained about it. One bad thing is not to take responsibilities for your actions and blame others for it
Another defeatist argument is to say that jobs is for only people that have connections
If you have your own company would you rather load the workforce with mediocre staffs just to satisfy your friends
All employers look for the best
In this Nigeria that there are no jobs I got 4 jobs including 3 from banks and I am presently not working in any bank
Dont stay back and blame everybody for your mistake and undoings
If you know you have the brain but bleeped up in sch try to proove that by working extra hard and most like ly you would succeed probably more than your mates that have 1st class that are not putting any other effort
Put it at the back of your mind that the 1st class people have the advantage for now try and upturn the advantage in your own favour

And if you dont have the academic brain discover what you are good at and put your effort into it and you will succeed

Everything in life requires great effort to succeed even rappers with all the cracks they smoke spend a lot of sleepless nights thinking and strategising not to talk of athletes, keep trying
Re: Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? by ayotunde: 10:33am On Sep 12, 2006
Alright,Am also aware that Tony had third class from Ambrose Alli University,am also told that he was also thrown out of the Head of human resources in the defunt Crystal bank now Standard trust bank.This means that he was neva gien the oppotunity to prove himself.
This facts now buttress my point i mentioned in the discrimination of HND holder that are not given opportunity to prove themselves nor tried alongside with their Bsc counterpart.Imagine if Tony did not find his way back to STB would he had turned round STB/UBA like this?
Finally,We youth be it HND or Bsc should try and bring out our potential irrespective of the rigours and ignore our leader who dont know what they are doing.
Please lets preach against dicrimination of HND . 2.2 division and explore what the holder has in stock not what is contained in the certificate.
Re: Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? by shockreaction(m): 10:51am On Sep 12, 2006
Doing very well in school doesn't always guarantee success.

Or so I've heard.
Re: Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? by ishmael(m): 12:26pm On Sep 12, 2006
must everybody work for banks or other big companies?? If you are sure of yourself, you can use the knowledge and skills in you to create jobs for yourself and employ others to work 4 you. Whether 1st class or 3rd class degree or HND, prove your worth by being creative and innovative, and thereby creating a job 4 urself and employ people to work for you. Do you want to use your 1st class or 2.1 certificate to be doing routine and monotonous jobs, where there are no challenges?? The job you will be doing with your 1st class or 2.1 in some companies even[b] market women [/b] and mama akara can do same if given the chance. So there should nt be pride in being an employee with one's 1st class or 2.1 degree.I dont believe the best people are those with 1st class and 2.1; and i also dont belive the worst people are those with 3rd class and pass whether Bsc or HND. The best people should prove their best by creating their own jobs not by working for other people. Infact being an employee should only be for those that graduated with 3rd class or pass if that be the case that they are not too sound. Prove your 1st class or 2.1 by being self employed, else you dont worth having that 1st class or 2.1. After all people pay money to get 1st class and 2.1 degrees in nigeria because they know what nigerian employers want; just the certificate and not the knowledge and skills.
Re: Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? by LuciferFan(m): 12:58pm On Sep 12, 2006
For those that worship me relentlessly, I will bestow on them INTELLIGENCE! Come onto me all ye that seek first class and I will give you class. Please come,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Man Celebrates Pretty Female Barber Who Cut His Hair In A Saloon In Abuja. Photo / Aggrieved Ciscon Staff Warri Seal Off Office Premise (Photos) / Nigerian Institute Of Management Registration

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.