Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,130 members, 7,818,388 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:09 PM

Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) (31617 Views)

Edo Man Sets Straight Reason For Biafra Agitation And Calls Out Yoruba. Video! / Lagos APGA Sacks Chairman For Supporting Ambode / Lagos APGA To Adopt Ambode As Governorship Candidate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) by phabulux: 9:27am On Feb 06, 2015
M4gunners:
Here we go again. Yoruba with their tribalism.

I did my NYSC in Imo State in 2006 and, lord knows, the Ibos are hospitable. They are, and should be considered, the best set of people this country has to offer. However, ethnic sentiments are stoked on Nairaland (still) by Ibos. Sometimes, I wonder if the Ibos I met during my service year and the noisemakers now belong to different species.

10 Likes

Re: Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) by Nobody: 9:27am On Feb 06, 2015
Laid2001:
He should have refused to even try it and give the excuse that Lagos is a multi ethnic society and that there are several indigenous tribes of Lagos that are not Yoruba like Egun, Awori etc.

Although, this answer would have bee diplomatically correct but would still not have made him to win Lagos!

Lagos is APC and seems that it will remain so for some time to come, until they stop performing!

Please who told you awori and egu aren't Yoruba?

13 Likes

Re: Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) by Crispels(m): 9:27am On Feb 06, 2015
lurther:
Please, why are they denying igbos their Permanent voters card in lagos?

As I type, lots of igbos have not been given their permanent voters card in lagos. Is APC afraid of something? All this while, they have been shouting that Igbos are inconsequential in lagos, why now sieze their voters card?

Besides, Apga is just a joker in the lagos gubernatorial elections, It's between PDP and APC. So, let the lagos state electoral commission in collaboration with the independent national electoral commission release the permanent voters cards of igbos in lagos. What is even their fear self, after saying igbos don't have the numbers and are presumably inconsequential.

go to anambra and collect your PVC!

YOU PEOPLE WANTS TO RULE LAGOS, WHY NOT BACK THIS YOUR ROBERT OKOROJA? yeye ingrates!

APC will win and We will send you people back to our villages!

8 Likes

Re: Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) by lastmessenger: 9:27am On Feb 06, 2015
IHEJIRIKAisBOKO:
i would apologise once an ibo man contest for the Governor of Borno state
It will pay off if you can hide your hate for igbos. You are not ganing anything here. A whole tribe is animals to you because a man is trying to vie for a political position.
I wonder when we would allow the education we acquired in school to affect our way of seeing and reasoning things.
Look at you Monica " Ihejirikaisboko" . The same ihejirika that chased Bokoharam to the sambisa forest.
Assimilated education will make the differnce.

5 Likes

Re: Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) by IHEJIRIKAisBOKO: 9:29am On Feb 06, 2015
jmoore:

Ignorance is your problem. Go and read the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

Dull brain!!
Osu ibo

you only know about the constittution of Nigeria when it comes to Lagos, why dont you go observe your constitutional right in Borno state and contest for the govenor there.

8 Likes

Re: Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) by ChristyG(f): 9:30am On Feb 06, 2015
Laid2001:
He should have refused to even try it and give the excuse that Lagos is a multi ethnic society and that there are several indigenous tribes of Lagos that are not Yoruba like Egun, Awori etc.

Although, this answer would have bee diplomatically correct but would still not have made him to win Lagos!

Lagos is APC and seems that it will remain so for some time to come, until they stop performing!
who told u awori is not yoruba,awori is as yoruba as egba,ijebu,etc.get that in to ur flatty skull.awori and egun are also in ogun state if u must know,and they ave never denied their yoruba heritage.lagos is yorubaland,dont get it twisted,all u others are visitors and tenants

13 Likes

Re: Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) by lastmessenger: 9:32am On Feb 06, 2015
phabulux:

I did my NYSC in Imo State in 2006 and, lord knows, the Ibos are hospitable. They are, and should be considered, the best set of people this country has to offer. However, ethnic sentiments are stoked on Nairaland (still) by Ibos. Sometimes, I wonder if the Ibos I met during my service year and the noisemakers now belong to different species.
They are the same people bro. In my opinion people become different things when they come online. As I write this now, a Yoruba is somewhere with an Igbo doing things together and they don't care about their tribes.

6 Likes

Re: Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) by JideTheBlogger(m): 9:35am On Feb 06, 2015
Bursted...hahahaha

1 Like

Re: Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) by Afam4eva(m): 9:36am On Feb 06, 2015
Mynd44:
Okay this is where the problem lies. Although I have not problem with him being of Igbo descent but he should be a Lagosian who has known the culture before he can aspire.

We can't have a governor who does not know how to deal with the traditional council na. You have traditional holidays and you must know them.

If you have lived here for that long, some things should not be difficult
We definitely have a very long way to go to reach the Nigeria of our dreams. The man actually played into the hands of those presenters who are not smart enough to know that one musn't speak Yoruba to govern Lagos. Are they dumb not to realize that English is Nigeria's official language and to aspire to any political position, an average competence in English is required. There's no doubt that it will be an advantage to be able to speak Yoruba since Yorubas still constitute the majority in lagos but it's not because Lagos is the language of the land. It will also not be a taboo is a Fashola or an Ambode earns Igbo, hausa or any other language just to show Non Yoruba Lagosians that he understands their Language. It irks me when supposed educated foks join illiterates such as those channels presenters to spew prejudice in the name of confirming whether someone is a Lagosisan or not. Lagos has no language. That's one of the reasons why i seem to be tilting towards a Buhari/Osibanjo candicay because they have promised to tackle the Indigene/setter dichotomy.

6 Likes

Re: Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) by klasys(m): 9:39am On Feb 06, 2015
The truth of the matter is, this people are complete haters of yoruba, what's going to take them to feed yorubas as APGA candidate in Lagos, they want to proof on their propaganda that they own lagos, they want to proof on their propaganda that they

all their motive was as a result of their propaganda that 60% of lagosian are igbo and politic is a game of number, despite the high number of igbo in administration of Lagos state government they were not satisfied, this people hate yoruba people, but cannot do without their land, after publicly mocking and insulting of yoruba people, boosting that they rule yorubas in their land, all this is to actualize their claim and further ridicule the yorubas.

can you imagine, comming out publicly demanding Deputy-governor slot, i dont thinks any other tribe can be a councillor in the East, This people are lucky that yoruba are people who think with their brain not with emotion,

from the interviewed when the man was asked, what exactly is he going to do for the poeple of lagos state, as he was itemized all his plan, the host alway cut in and tell him APC has already done all this thing which he himself always accept but always claim that he's going to do more, meaning he accepted that logas govt. is working. there is no new plan he has for people, because their a secret motive behind them wanted to rule lagos state.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) by Mbilla(m): 9:44am On Feb 06, 2015
lastmessenger:

It will pay off if you can hide your hate for igbos. You are not ganing anything here. A whole tribe is animals to you because a man is trying to vie for a political position.
I wonder when we would allow the education we acquired in school to affect our way of seeing and reasoning things.
Look at you Monica " Ihejirikaisboko" . The same ihejirika that chased Bokoharam to the sambisa forest.
Assimilated education will make the differnce.
My brother why replied a Yoruba bastard who doesn't know his father. Don't u know that bastards are always abusive and don't u know that 98% Yoruba's are bastards who doesn't knw their fathers. I haven't being to lagos and hav no business going there. But 99% Yoruba's I met in Kaduna, Bayelsa and here in Portharcourt doesn't know their fathers and village's and they also very abusive and dirty. Their ugly bleaching dirty women are busy giving birth to many children from different men.

1 Like

Re: Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) by Missy89(f): 9:45am On Feb 06, 2015
Afam4eva:

We definitely have a very long way to go to reach the Nigeria of our dreams. The man actually played into the hands of those presenters who are not smart enough to know that one musn't speak Yoruba to govern Lagos. Are they dumb not to realize that English is Nigeria's official language and to aspire to any political position, an average competence in English is required. There's no doubt that it will be an advantage to be able to speak Yoruba since Yorubas still constitute the majority in lagos but it's not because Lagos is the language of the land. It wi aso not be a taboo is a Fashola or an Ambode earns Igbo, hausa or any other language just to show Non Yoruba Lagosians that he understands their Language. It irks me when supposed educated foks join illiterates such as those channels presenters to spew prejudice in the name of confirming whether someone is a Lagosisan or not. Lagos has no language. That's one of the reasons why i seem to be tilting towards a Buhari/Osibanjo candicay because they have promised to tackle the Indigene/setter dichotomy.

If you actually believe Indigene/setter dichotomy will be settled because Buhari/Osinbanjo said so then you are more naive than i thought.

As for your assertion that you dont need to speak Yoruba to govern Lagos or Lagos has no language, I will leave you to your delusion

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) by Nobody: 9:46am On Feb 06, 2015
Mbilla:
My brother why replied a Yoruba bastard who doesn't know his father. Don't u know that bastards are always abusive and don't u know that 98% Yoruba's are bastards who doesn't knw their fathers. I haven't being to lagos and hav no business going there. But 99% Yoruba's I met in Kaduna, Bayelsa and here in Portharcourt doesn't know their fathers and village's and they also very abusive and dirty. Their ugly bleaching dirty women are busy giving birth to many children from different men.

Why are you crying? grin

11 Likes

Re: Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) by Nobody: 9:47am On Feb 06, 2015
Missy89:

If you actually believe Indigene/setter dichotomy will be settled because Buhari/Osinbanjo said so then you are more naive than i thought.

As for your assertion that you dont need to speak Yoruba to govern Lagos or Lagos has no language, I will leave you to your delusion

Dont mind him o, ask him if an ebonyi man can become governor in anambra. Jokers.

13 Likes

Re: Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) by lastmessenger: 9:48am On Feb 06, 2015
Mbilla:
I am against him for exactly what you are doing. A whole tribe cannot be bastard simply because of one stupid mugu on nairaland. Please Yorubas are not bastards.

1 Like

Re: Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) by m4una(m): 9:49am On Feb 06, 2015
Pls bro, don't kill yourself by yourself. Hatred is dangerous to your health.
Re: Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) by Mynd44: 9:50am On Feb 06, 2015
Afam4eva:

We definitely have a very long way to go to reach the Nigeria of our dreams. The man actually played into the hands of those presenters who are not smart enough to know that one musn't speak Yoruba to govern Lagos. Are they dumb not to realize that English is Nigeria's official language and to aspire to any political position, an average competence in English is required. There's no doubt that it will be an advantage to be able to speak Yoruba since Yorubas still constitute the majority in lagos but it's not because Lagos is the language of the land. It will also not be a taboo is a Fashola or an Ambode earns Igbo, hausa or any other language just to show Non Yoruba Lagosians that he understands their Language. It irks me when supposed educated foks join illiterates such as those channels presenters to spew prejudice in the name of confirming whether someone is a Lagosisan or not. Lagos has no language. That's one of the reasons why i seem to be tilting towards a Buhari/Osibanjo candicay because they have promised to tackle the Indigene/setter dichotomy.
This is my initial reaction to the topic

https://www.nairaland.com/2132614/igbo-man-governor-lagos-state#30470334

The presenters are annoying but as regards my post about culture. There is a way things are done in each which is what the customary courts are built on. These are mostly the culture of the society and an aspiring governor ought to be familiar with them.

As for the language, he could have easily walked away. The presenters were simply baiting him.
Re: Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) by Mynd44: 9:52am On Feb 06, 2015
Missy89:

I agree with Afam4eva there. It is redundant. Does speaking Yoruba make him a better administrator? Being familiar with the society I a different deal though.

The question is that in getting familiar with the society, you should pick one or two things
Re: Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) by Mbilla(m): 9:52am On Feb 06, 2015
django1:

Why are you crying? grin
hahahaha... Answer dis simple questn. Do u knw ur father? Yes or No. Do u knw ur village? Not Lagos ooo...cuz all of u yoruba bastards claim Lagos. How many children did ur ugly bleaching dirty mother born from different men? Pls be honest........

1 Like

Re: Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) by Saucekide25(m): 9:57am On Feb 06, 2015
Get up to #5000 discounts and Swift Delivery when you order items on Jumia.com[Pay on Delivery]...To place your orders Call or Whatsapp (08122204769)or e-mail me via (Eonuegbu1@gmail.com).
Re: Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) by Missy89(f): 10:01am On Feb 06, 2015
Mynd44:

I agree with Afam4eva there. It is redundant. Does speaking Yoruba make him a better administrator? Being familiar with the society I a different deal though.

The question is that in getting familiar with the society, you should pick one or two things

If you claimed to have lived in a place for over 4 decades and cant speak the language then you are not part of that place. you are just an alien resident. That is why residency is different from citizenship and you have to demonstrate you have ties and understand the ways of life of a place you migrate to before you can be a citizen.

No one is questioning his ability to govern, But how can you be familiar with a place and cant speak a simple sentence in the language of the same place? So how is he familiar exactly? You cant be out of touch with the majority of your electorates and expect to get their votes.

8 Likes

Re: Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) by Nobody: 10:02am On Feb 06, 2015
Mynd44:

My good sir, do not be deceived the average Igbo man have no love for Yoruba. Simple.

5 Likes

Re: Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) by tbaba1234: 10:03am On Feb 06, 2015
Afam4eva:

We definitely have a very long way to go to reach the Nigeria of our dreams. The man actually played into the hands of those presenters who are not smart enough to know that one musn't speak Yoruba to govern Lagos. Are they dumb not to realize that English is Nigeria's official language and to aspire to any political position, an average competence in English is required. There's no doubt that it will be an advantage to be able to speak Yoruba since Yorubas still constitute the majority in lagos but it's not because Lagos is the language of the land. It wi aso not be a taboo is a Fashola or an Ambode earns Igbo, hausa or any other language just to show Non Yoruba Lagosians that he understands their Language. It irks me when supposed educated foks join illiterates such as those channels presenters to spew prejudice in the name of confirming whether someone is a Lagosisan or not. Lagos has no language. That's one of the reasons why i seem to be tilting towards a Buhari/Osibanjo candicay because they have promised to tackle the Indigene/setter dichotomy.

To be Lagos governor, it is best for one to at least speak the local language. There are many Igbos in Lagos who speak yoruba fluently. Those are the kind of people Apga should present if they want to present an Igbo person.

To lead a people, you have to understand them and show that you are part of them. Would Okoriji be meeting Obas speaking English??

I believe anyone born in any state in Nigeria should be an indigene of that state or one who has lived a long time.

But I also believe that to run for political office, that person must have assimilated into the local culture.

7 Likes

Re: Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) by Crieff(m): 10:03am On Feb 06, 2015
kunlejazz:

Simply put, majority of igbos in Lagos only STAY in Lagos. They don't LIVE in Lagos.

You're from anambra, you live in Mazamaza, attend Assemblies of God, have a shop in Alaba, have no single Yoruba/non-igbo acquaintance...You're no Lagosian my dear.

Note: This concept applies everywhere in the world. Many immigrants merely stay in their host countries, they don't live there.

This largely explains why after more than 2 decades in Lagos/Ekiti/Ijebu-igbo, an igbo/Hausa/Edo person still can't communicate in their host community's language.

1 Like

Re: Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) by dre11(m): 10:04am On Feb 06, 2015
You want to aspire of an elective post in a state you can't speak their language....

How is that possible

Because he has the money he thinks he can bribe his way to the top
Mtcheww

5 Likes

Re: Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) by ransomed: 10:07am On Feb 06, 2015
Instead of ndigbo to present one of their educated sons, back him financially and spiritually as a presidential candidate, they are busy endorsing Jona, "follow follow" people. When will ibo man become president of Nigeria? APGA is a disgrace. They are yet to conquer the Orient land but, want to come and rule in Yoruba land. I know the yorubas, they support their own anywhere.

5 Likes

Re: Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) by Afam4eva(m): 10:07am On Feb 06, 2015
tbaba1234:

To be a Lagos governor, it is best for one to at least speak the local language. There are many Igbos in Lagos who speak yoruba fluently. Those are the kind of people Apga should present if they want to present an Igbo person.

To lead a people, you have to understand them and show that you are part of them. Would Okoriji be meeting Obas speaking English??

I believe anyone born in any state in Nigeria should be an indigene of that state or one who has lived a long time.

But I also been that to run for political office, that person must have assimilated into the local culture.

It is imperative that you understand what it means for a place to be cosmopolitan. Having Igbos, Yorubas, Fuanis etc living in one city does not make it cosmopolitan if this people have the same way of life. Meaning, if they all speak one language. The cosmopolitan nature comes in when people bring their languages and culture and make it a signature of the city.

Your second paragraph is also faulty because he will not be ruling only Yorubas but everyone who calls Lagos home.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) by ojsquare: 10:07am On Feb 06, 2015
sorry to say, but if this man enter na him room he enter. you need a lot more to become the governor of Lagos state. and i dont see an igbo man governing lagos soon. Maybe in the next 10th election grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) by Nobody: 10:07am On Feb 06, 2015
Mynd44:

not being able to speak yoruba shows you know nothing about the land and its culture, hence you are not fit to rule. Would obama have been able to rule if he couldn't speak english? Yes, english is widely spoken in lagos state politics likewise other states, but how do you think they communicate with the grassroots and traditional leaders? To them you are a foreigner if you can't speak yoruba.

4 Likes

Re: Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) by Missy89(f): 10:10am On Feb 06, 2015
Afam4eva:

It is imperative that you understand what it means for a place to be cosmopolitan. Having Igbos, Yorubas, Fuanis etc living in one city does not make it cosmopolitan if this people have the same way of life. Meaning, if they all speak one language. The cosmopolitan nature comes in when people bring their languages and culture and make it a signature of the city.

Your second paragraph is also faulty because he will not be ruling only Yorubas but everyone who calls Lagos home.

Can you mention one cosmopolitan city in the world where the mayor or governor is not originally from the place but grew up there, cant speak the local language and was elected. Just ONE example

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Yele Omogunwa & Bamidele Baderinwa Beaten During Osinbajo’s Visit To Ondo State / Lagos IGR rises by N32.99bn — higher than 33 states put together / We’re Not Part Of Ipob’s Sit-home Order To Mark Biafra Day – Anglican Clerics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.