Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,182 members, 7,818,574 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:06 PM

Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) (31618 Views)

Edo Man Sets Straight Reason For Biafra Agitation And Calls Out Yoruba. Video! / Lagos APGA Sacks Chairman For Supporting Ambode / Lagos APGA To Adopt Ambode As Governorship Candidate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) by zimoni(f): 10:27am On Feb 06, 2015
Missy89:

[b]If you actually believe Indigene/setter dichotomy will be settled because Buhari/Osinbanjo said so then you are more naive than i thought.

As for your assertion that you dont need to speak Yoruba to govern Lagos or Lagos has no language, I will leave you to your delusion

The dude, Afam4eva or whatever he calls himself, needs to have his brain checked.

It seems they all believe Lagos is no man's land thus it has no language or tradition. That's their concern anyway.

It irks me that an nl moderator who has lived in Yorubaland for years could say Lagos doesn't have language. Imagine the insult?

Anyway, Jonathan is going to win(by whatever means), then the much awaiting crisis shall start which (God willing) shall lead to the eventual disintegration of Nigeria into pieces.

Then we can all go our separate ways. As for now, it's still One Nigeria.

Igba Die L'oku. Die L'oku.

As for the Muntullar who wants to govern Lagos, let him keep dreaming. Dream is free.

Lobatan O Jarey, I don't like doing this tribal shitt online anymore but some Muntullars wouldn't let you be.[/b]

8 Likes

Re: Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) by Missy89(f): 10:27am On Feb 06, 2015
Afam4eva:

The question cannot be answered if you don't understand what exactly you are asking. Understand your question first then i'll answer you. You seem to be conflicting between an official language and the major local language.

I will ask you the question again.

Can you name any cosmopolitan city or state where the mayor or governor cant speak the major local language? Keep in mind cities and states may not have an official language but they do have a major local language.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) by Nobody: 10:28am On Feb 06, 2015
emiye:
He claimed to have lived in Lagos for 38 years , yet cant speak yoruba the native language of the soil , obviously, he has refused to assimilate with the land, he still has a biafran mentality, he wants to govern Lagos with biafran ideology. My biggest grouse with typical ibos in Lagos is they dont assimilate with the Language of the land, yet start asking for leadrship positions in the land
Please, has English language ceased to be our lingua franca in Nigeria?
Re: Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) by tbaba1234: 10:28am On Feb 06, 2015
Afam4eva:

There's a reason why the traditional rulers are there. they're there to protect the culture and tradition but not to force it on people.

Some traditional rulers might not have formal education... Would the governor be using interpreters? I think that is unacceptable.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) by Nobody: 10:29am On Feb 06, 2015
Afam4eva:

You people just make comparisons willy nilly without spoting the difference between both case studies. The official language of the US is English, so there's no way Obama could have qualified without knowing how to speak English. On the contrary, Yoruba is not an official language in Lagos or anywhere in Nigeria.
now I know why you haven't been commenting on NL. I thinks it's cos you spew trash. What is the language of the people of anambra, imo, enugu, ebonyi and abia? Is not ibo? Just cos they use english due to civilization doesn't mean they are no more ibos and anyone who can't speak ibo but english can just come and rule over them. Go to LGA is lagos and check the language spoken there. Would obama have been able to rule america if it was kenyan he was speaking during his campaigns? Ambode's current campaign has him speaking a lot of yoruba. Nigeria is not a migrant country.

4 Likes

Re: Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) by OlaPhils(m): 10:31am On Feb 06, 2015
braine:
Those who think Lagos is 'no man's land' should have a rethink.
if you were born before the year 1994, you need to ask those born earlier on how Lagos was, when the IBO's left Lagos. Those of you who think you own Lagos begged them to come back
Re: Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) by Afam4eva(m): 10:31am On Feb 06, 2015
tbaba1234:

Some traditional rulers might not have formal education... Would the governor be using interpreters? I think that is unacceptable.
Now we're getting to the issues. Correct me if i'm wrong isn't there a commission for culture and tradition in Lagos just like it is in other states. A governor is not meant to know everything and that's why he has commissioners and advisers who are familiar with particular sectors. As a matter of fact, it's the local governments that are supposed to be the carriers of tradition.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) by Afam4eva(m): 10:34am On Feb 06, 2015
eighTHREAD:
now I know why you haven't been commenting on NL. I thinks it's cos you spew trash. What is the language of the people of anambra, imo, enugu, ebonyi and abia? Is not ibo? Just cos they use english due to civilization doesn't mean they are no more ibos and anyone who can't speak ibo but english can just come and rule over them. Go to LGA is lagos and check the language spoken there. Would obama have been able to rule america if it was kenyan he was speaking during his campaigns? Ambode's current campaign has him speaking a lot of yoruba. Nigeria is not a migrant country.
It seems you are not aware that Igala is also a language in igala so it would be an insult to assume Anambra an Igbo state. Saying Anambra is majorly an Igbo state is more succint and even more that it is inhabited by mostly Igbos.

Yet again, you keep comparing apples and oranges. America is a country while Lagos is a state in Nigeria. English is an official language in America while Yoruba is not in Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) by Malawian(m): 10:35am On Feb 06, 2015
i was trying to quote berem. what is happening to the quote button?
Re: Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) by zimoni(f): 10:37am On Feb 06, 2015
eighTHREAD:
the language spoken by the traditional chiefs, baales, kings and mostly used when showcasing the culture of that locality. How will the aspirant converse with them when he knows nothing about their culture? Don't you think it will be an insult if he uses an interpreter like preachers do?

Good Bless You Sire.

Imagine that insult, "Lagos Have No Language".

Does he know anything about Culture at all?

I have said it, the dude is not feeling fine. A moderator for that matter ooooooooooooooo.

Too Badt.
Re: Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) by Nobody: 10:37am On Feb 06, 2015
Afam4eva:

The constitution does not mandate a political aspirant to be able to speak the language of the natives does it? And btw a lagos governor is not only ruling the people you call natives (whatever that means). He's ruling lagos stakeholders who are Nigerians from all over.
you are truly dull. The constitution doesn't require such but. It is not possible in a nation like nigeria. As for stakeholders, what do you mean by that? Just cos you bought a land which will expire in 100yrs time doesn't make you a stakeholder. The stakeholders are the kings, baales, chiefs and indigenes which are the yorubas, the rest are strangers. It seems you believe in the stupidity of lagos is a no man's land. I thought you once open a thread asking all ibos to move their investments to alaigbo, before you were bashed that you are busy saying that while still living in lagos.

6 Likes

Re: Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) by Nobody: 10:38am On Feb 06, 2015
Afam4eva:

It seems you are not aware that Igala is also a language in igala so it would be an insult to assume Anambra an Igbo state. Saying Anambra is majorly an Igbo state is more succint and even more that it is inhabited by mostly Igbos.

Yet again, you keep comparing apples and oranges. America is a country while Lagos is a state in Nigeria. English is an official language in America while Yoruba is not in Nigeria.

Can an abia man govern anambra? Or has it ever happened before?

3 Likes

Re: Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) by ribbit: 10:38am On Feb 06, 2015
Laid2001:
He should have refused to even try it and give the excuse that Lagos is a multi ethnic society and that there are several indigenous tribes of Lagos that are not Yoruba like Egun, Awori etc.

Although, this answer would have bee diplomatically correct but would still not have made him to win Lagos!

Lagos is APC and seems that it will remain so for some time to come, until they stop performing!
so i CAn Also clAim thAt delta OR anambra is a multi ethnic society and that there are several indigenous tribes in these states? etc.

keep yarning dust. grin
Re: Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) by zimoni(f): 10:40am On Feb 06, 2015
eighTHREAD:

WORD.

Tell Him. Tell Him.
Re: Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) by Nobody: 10:40am On Feb 06, 2015
Afam4eva:

what is the language of the indegenous people of lagos state?

2 Likes

Re: Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) by asha80(m): 10:41am On Feb 06, 2015
ribbit:
so i CAn Also clAim thAt delta OR anambra is a multi ethnic society and that there are several indigenous tribes in these states? etc.

keep yarning dust. grin
from this comment you know nothing about delta state.
Re: Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) by Afam4eva(m): 10:41am On Feb 06, 2015
eighTHREAD:
you are truly dull. The constitution doesn't require such but. It is not possible in a nation like nigeria. As for stakeholders, what do you mean by that? Just cos you bought a land which will expire in 100yrs time doesn't make you a stakeholder. The stakeholders are the kings, baales, chiefs and indigenes which are the yorubas, the rest are strangers. It seems you believe in the stupidity of lagos is a no man's land. I thought you once open a thread asking all ibos to move their investments to alaigbo, before you were bashed that you are busy saying that while still living in lagos.
This will be my last reply to you cos it seems you don't have the healthiness of thoughts to debate issues with civility. I never said Lagos was a no man's land. You took that right out of your exterior. You also and obviously at that don't know what the term stakeholders mean. I don't know whether to pity you and school you on these things or allow you wallow in your own ignorance.
Re: Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) by Afam4eva(m): 10:42am On Feb 06, 2015
django1:

Can an abia man govern anambra? Or has it ever happened before?
Yes an Abia or Osun man can govern Anambra because the constitution allows for it.
Re: Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) by Afam4eva(m): 10:43am On Feb 06, 2015
ribbit:

keep yarning dust. grin
Knock me out pls shocked shocked shocked
Re: Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) by Crieff(m): 10:45am On Feb 06, 2015
Afam4eva:

Now we're getting to the issues. Correct me if i'm wrong isn't there a commission for culture and tradition in Lagos just like it is in other states. A governor is not meant to know everything and that's why he has commissioners and advisers who are familiar with particular sectors. As a matter of fact, it's the local governments that are supposed to be the carriers of tradition.

Why are you being headstrong? Why do you persist and insist on this path of folly? Is it not enough that you have to, at least, know, understand and speak the language of the place you intend to govern?

Desist from the path you're embarking on, Afam4eva.

1 Like

Re: Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) by htconeline: 10:45am On Feb 06, 2015
My name is uzo I want to govern kastina but I cant speak or understand hausa.
How about that.

5 Likes

Re: Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) by Nobody: 10:47am On Feb 06, 2015
Afam4eva:

Yes an Abia or Osun man can govern Anambra because the constitution allows for it.

Yes the constitution allows it but will the people allow it? I dare say that no Igbo man of Abia extraction can become even a councillor in any part of anambra state.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) by Afam4eva(m): 10:48am On Feb 06, 2015
django1:

Yes the constitution allows it but will the people allow it? I dare say that no Igbo man of Abia extraction can become even a councillor in any part of anambra state.
How are the people supposed to allow it. They will definitely decide at the polls.
Re: Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) by ribbit: 10:50am On Feb 06, 2015
asha80:
from this comment you know nothing about delta state.
like the person i quoted doesn't know a thing about lagos.. for all we know, the aworis, ijebus and other indigenous tribes in lagos are yORubas as well.

delta might belong to ibos, who cares? but the point is, there are other indigenous tribes in delta as well. so, my question is very valid.

1 Like

Re: Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) by ribbit: 10:51am On Feb 06, 2015
Afam4eva:

Knock me out pls shocked shocked shocked
*punches his head*
Re: Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) by Nobody: 10:51am On Feb 06, 2015
Afam4eva:

This will be my last reply to you cos it seems you don't have the healthiness of thoughts to debate issues with civility. I never said Lagos was a no man's land. You took that right out of your exterior. You also and obviously at that don't know what the term stakeholders mean. I don't know whether to pity you and school you on these things or allow you wallow in your own ignorance.
I do know what it means but I used it differently cos honoring you with that term might make you inflate your importance in a city were you are strangers. As for healthiness of debate, you bring insults to us when you try to make it clear that yoruba is just among the languages of lagos when in fact it is the major language(aside the borrowed english) while there are a few more like egun awori etc which are also indegenous and also yoruba. All others like ibo, calabar, hausa etc are not lagos languages. Saying they are is like saying you don't know anything about the culture and geography of nigeria. SW is yoruba, SE is ibo, North is hausa-fulani, SS is composed of minority tribes. Picking lagos out of SW and claiming it has no indegenous language of its own is like saying the people there have no culture. Just cos I speak yoruba in enugu doesn't make enugu cultureless.

15 Likes

Re: Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) by emiye(m): 10:53am On Feb 06, 2015
ILIDEFI:

Please, has English language ceased to be our lingua franca in Nigeria?

Yoruba is the native language of the land.
Re: Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) by Afam4eva(m): 10:55am On Feb 06, 2015
ribbit:
*punches his head*
faints***
Re: Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) by gambit10: 10:55am On Feb 06, 2015
Shebi Lagos is no man's land.... Hehehehehe
Re: Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) by Malawian(m): 10:59am On Feb 06, 2015
the way yorubas can speak from both sides of the mouth seemlessly must be studied in our universities.

they are trying to con real lagosians into thinking that igbos are comming to chance them from lagos, meanwhile it is them who have come in from their ogbomosho and ilesha caves to colonise indegene yorubas.

is tinubu, fashola nd ambode from lagos state?

is oluremi tinubu from lagos state?

now they are trying to deny igbos their PVC. my friend have been going since monday this week for her own.

vote JIMI AGBAJE, a real indigene Lagosian.

say no to colonialism.

akpa amu mpa anybody wey quote me to speak trash. tongue tongue

1 Like

Re: Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) by tunjilana: 10:59am On Feb 06, 2015
njays24:
It could be true he's lived in lagos for 38yrs;he was not interested in speaking the language. My mother came to lagos in 1970,met my father in lagos. My mum can't speak yoruba,but understands perfectly. We her children,it's difficult for anyone to know we're not yorubas,because we eat,sleep and drink yoruba. So the apga candidate was not interested in learning to speak it.

You are a better candidate for a lagos state governorship seat than your mother simply because you are well assimilated and totally adapted with the way of life of the indigenes of lagos. There are a lot of people like you and I feel that is what APGA could have presented.

Becoming part of a people goes beyond moving there or living there. INTEGRATION is the word!. How integrated are you with the people you intend to represent. The governor performs traditional roles, he has oversight functions over hundreds of Obas and Baales in his state, a majority of whom are firstly yorubas before being Nigerian. A governor seats over history,culture and heritage. A lagos governor administers so many things that have been influenced and shaped by the traditional beliefs of the Lagos people.

Chuka Umunna the british MP is more british than Igbo. If he lives in UK, relate and roll with his Igbo brothers, build a life that cycles mainly around his Igbo/Nigerian/African brothers, didnt assimilate, didnt BLEND IN, trust me he cant aspire politically.Irrespective of where you come from,realistically you have to become Lagosian and by implication Yoruba before you can aspire for the No 1 job in Lagos unless you just want to register as an aspirant.

Being lagosian is not just by living here or being born here, it is about How much of lagos is in you. Even as a yoruba man that was born in lagos, if I retain my strong Ijesha,Ijebu or Oyo accent and I never tone down from what I inherited from my parents then I will still find it very difficult aspiring to that position

3 Likes

Re: Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) by asha80(m): 10:59am On Feb 06, 2015
ribbit:
like the person i quoted doesn't know a thing about lagos.. for all we know, the aworis, ijebus and other indigenous tribes in lagos are yORubas as well.

delta might belong to ibos, who cares? but the point is, there are other indigenous tribes in delta as well. so, my question is very valid.
If you do not know urhobos have a higher population that anioma igbos so saying that delta might belong to Igbo is a misnomer..there are also isokos,ijaws and itsekiris in delta state that is if you actually heard about these ethnic groups

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Donald Duke: “Ministers Knelt For Abacha And Sang His Praises” / Southern Governors Ban Open Grazing, Call For National Dialogue / DPO Olosan Of Mushin Stripped, Pushed In Wheelbarrow And Beaten By Hoodlums

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.