Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,604 members, 7,812,978 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:03 AM

Writers' Checkmate - Literature (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Writers' Checkmate (20726 Views)

Main Story Thread For Checkmate Competition- Group 2! / Checkmate Competition- Group 2 Collaboration Thread / Checkmate Competition- Group 1 Collaboration Thread (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Writers' Checkmate by Champion001: 8:54pm On Feb 18, 2015
,Drenched in the chilling cold, Vincent kept on moving in the rain as he trekked in the mud of Majidun road.
' Hello,' he said, as he picked his phone which had rung five times before,' Darling, I will be home soon'. He used his hand to shield himself from the rain as the wind of the heavy rain rushed towards him.
' Where are you?', his wife asked, almost shouting over the phone,' it 11:00pm ooo'.
' I know... I know... I will be there soon', he answered with a quivering voice as he was shaking internally, his belly yearning desperately for a hot, liquid and sweet substance.
' I know..', he said again as his wife disconnected the call.
Vincent had left home since morning with the hope of meeting Chief Ebuka, his helper. He wanted to plead with him to give him a little money for his daughter's school fee but Chief Ebuka did not return till 8.30pm when the rain started. And he had to hide somewhere till 10.00pm but when the rain did not stop, he left for his house, and now he just want to get home, wrap himself in the arms of his always-loving wife, and to feel the hug of his beloved beautiful daughter,and then he should share a hot cup of Lipton with his family.
' Help', a frail voice filtered in through the heavy, and fierce rain.
He must have heard wrong, the wind that splashed on his thick skin made him hurry through the rain. He was shaking vigorously as the cold wind rushed at his chest beneath his wet shirt.
' Help', the frail voice cried again.
Vincent was sure he heard the voice, so he stood still and the cry came again, jolting him and making his run towards the place the voice was coming from: the canal.
Without thinking of the consequences, he ran towards a car that was slipping into the canal, though it was still dangling near the canal. Vincent ran towards it and saw a lady trying to come out of the car, but was afraid to do so because to do so would means falling with the car.
Into the canal.
Vincent held on to the slippery side of the boot of the car.
' Come to the rear', he shouted at the lady who was looking at him as if she was dreaming, making him wonder if she could not hear him as the rain and the wind beat him; however, she started moving as he prepared himself to shout again.
She opened the door and jumped out. And almost immediately, the car jolted forward and crashed, headfirst into the canal, almost pulling Vincent with him.
' Thank you', the lady said and fainted.
' What?!' Vincent shouted as he picked her, and raced for the nearest hospital.
The hours that followed saw him sleeping in the hospital, and later explaining to her family what had happened. And he later began to walk with the rich father of the girl. And he was able to pay his daughter's school fees.,
Re: Writers' Checkmate by Nobody: 9:33pm On Feb 18, 2015
While we await rating...
Please pick a number for the next question..

Divepen
Slap1
Cybershow
Kusibe77
Stuff46
tattesco
susrite
Evangelio
Theorbiter
kizzykeziah
Chinweblinkz
Thronekid
Iosprince
princesssusan
Akposb
Re: Writers' Checkmate by Nobody: 9:45pm On Feb 18, 2015
Divepen:
While we await rating...
Please pick a number for the next question..

Divepen
Slap1
Cybershow
Kusibe77
Stuff46
tattesco
susrite
Evangelio
Theorbiter
kizzykeziah
Chinweblinkz
Thronekid
Iosprince
princesssusan
Akposb
No 07
Re: Writers' Checkmate by Kusibe77(m): 10:12pm On Feb 18, 2015
thronekid:

No 07
i have the number in my moniker. I join u pick 7
Re: Writers' Checkmate by Nobody: 5:07am On Feb 19, 2015
[b]Hi noble and esteemed Writers, You have a choice of being included in the highly rated 2015 Annual Nairaland Writers collaboration, Your choice to make it big.
This Collaboration, birthed by the Creative and Honourable Duo of Dyoungstar and Larrysun in 2013, is a rich tradition that grants various diversifed Writers a privilege of coming together to plot and cook up a Story and has oft in the recent past, feature great and respectable Writers ranging from D9ty7 to Mazi0menuko, two Writers with utterly antonymous Idealogy, great Writers that You apt might wish to lick their Butts attimes with the way they dazzle even the numbest of the numbs, whenever they opt to speak with the silent aged warrior that thunders most; the Pen. Well, here's Your chance and all You need is Your consent. Sort things within You first.
Also, You'll need to set Your priorities right, know what You want most and make the Killing Move.
And know this, without You, the Collaboration can always hold, always be held, I enjoin.
Interested? Click on https://www.nairaland.com/2149429/2015-pre-collaboration-yearly-writers-collaboration and register Your interest. Hurry, procastinatio helps no One!
TAGS:
Slap1
Cybershow
Kusibe77
Stuff46
tattesco
susrite
Evangelio
Theorbiter
kizzykeziah
Chinweblinkz
Thronekid
Iosprince
princesssusan
Akposb
champion1 ;
and anyother interested Writer;[/b]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Writers' Checkmate by Nobody: 7:34am On Feb 19, 2015
,Rating
Champion001: 10
Answered the five facts well.

Stuff46
Character: Changed you went from 'He' to 'I', almost confusing the readers.- 1
What he wants: To win lottery
How he did it: He used his car as bet.
How he changed: No change happened to him.
Rating: 7

Kusibe77
You used four out of the five facts well. The fifth was not too glaring.
9 marks

Group Score.
Group 1
137+ 9 (Divey)+ 9 (Kusibe)+ 7 (stuff)+ 1(Cybershows rating=163

Group 2
69+ 10 (Champion's)= 89

Re: Writers' Checkmate by Nobody: 7:46am On Feb 19, 2015
[size=16] New Rules[/size]
Since this is a training place as well as competition, there will be penalty for people who did not drop their stories except they've inform the house that they would not be chanced to write.
Penalties
*When a Writer do not drop his story, two marks will be deducted from his/her group score.
* If the writer do not drop a story or rate a story for a week, he or she will be suspended for one week, and the two points for each day would be removed from the group score.

We need to buckle up and sit tight. Please, we all joined to improve absconding will make matter worse.

Tag:
Divepen
Slap1
Cybershow
Kusibe77
Stuff46
Tattesco
Susrite
Evangelio
Theorbiters
Kizzykeziah
Chinweblinkz
Thronekid
Losprince
princesssussan
Akposb
Champion001
Pres01
Bluestarry.,
Re: Writers' Checkmate by Nobody: 8:03am On Feb 19, 2015
[size=16]Assignments[/size]
There will be two Assignments.
1. Each Group will be doing a collaboration and it will must finish in three weeks time.
Writing Method.
* Anybody that want write for his group would indicate here so that things will follow order.
* What I mean is that, the first person to indicate his availability will be the first to write, followed by the second person, the third e.t.c

* It is not by force you write once, you can write as many time as you want, so far each chapter will be written by one person and next chapter another person. Just remember you will be submitting in three weeks time 13th of March.
* In case, you joined Larrysun' and Dyoungstar's collaboration , and the day you are update your group work falls on the period you are to update the collaboration, let your group members know, and let someone else take your place.

How The Scoring Would Be.
* I will be scoring us on everything we've done in the past few days. Therefore, I will not be joining the collaboration.

Bonus Marks.
* You get one mark for each share and like. I.e if there are 10 shares, you get 10 marks.
* Comments by other people, be it other group members, would get you two marks.
The Group That Get The Highest Mark will be awarded Fifty marks.
May The Best Group Win. ,

Tag:
Divepen
Slap1
Cybershow
Kusibe77
Stuff46
Tattesco
Susrite
Evangelio
Theorbiters
Kizzykeziah
Chinweblinkz
Thronekid
Losprince
princesssussan
Akposb
Champion001
Pres01
Bluestarry.,
Re: Writers' Checkmate by Nobody: 8:11am On Feb 19, 2015
,Assignment 2
To be submitted 9:30pm on Friday.

Write a story about ' Being Different', using the third person Objective in 400 words or lesser.

I will post how some people define Third person Objective.,

Divepen
Slap1
Cybershow
Kusibe77
Stuff46
Tattesco
Susrite
Evangelio
Theorbiters
Kizzykeziah
Chinweblinkz
Thronekid
Losprince
princesssussan
Akposb
Champion001
Pres01
Bluestarry
Re: Writers' Checkmate by Nobody: 8:26am On Feb 19, 2015
Third Person Objective: The narrator can only
relate to the reader what is seen or heard. A
good writer can tell a completely objective story
in such a way that the reader is able to
determine the feelings and sometimes even the
thoughts of the characters through what those
characters say and do, even though the thoughts
and feelings are never described.
Her stomach rumbled throughout the night. She
kn ew it was the sour 'moimoi' from her CDS
dinner earlier that evening. So she swore.
"Dammn it," she said. "I should never have
discredited my better judgement." You see, she
had suspected it was stale when she caught a
whiff of the meal as it was served her. She was so
sure it had spent a considerable amount of time
outside the cooler without proper preservation.

Culled From 2014 Nairaland Writers E-Workshop
Written by Whitemosquito
Re: Writers' Checkmate by Nobody: 8:33am On Feb 19, 2015
1) Objective Viewpoint (a.k.a. effaced narrator) is when the writer doesn’t provide the characters’ internalizations, instead narrating only the physical action of the story. Although Hemingway used effaced narration in some of his stories and was a master at it, this type of narration is rarely attempted by experienced writers today and isn’t suggested when considering the contemporary novel market. Today’s readers want to know what goes on inside a character’s head, to follow along through the story with a character they can be attached to emotionally — they want to empathize with and be intimate with at least one main character. An intimate reader / character relationship is difficult to achieve when a story is told from an objective viewpoint

Written by Gordon A. Kessler..

1 Like

Re: Writers' Checkmate by Nobody: 10:49am On Feb 19, 2015
Divepen:
,Assignment 2
To be submitted 9:30pm on Friday.

Write a story about ' Being Different', using the third person Objective in 400 words or lesser.

I will post how some people define Third person Objective.,

Divepen
Slap1
Cybershow
Kusibe77
Stuff46
Tattesco
Susrite
Evangelio
Theorbiters
Kizzykeziah
Chinweblinkz
Thronekid
Losprince
princesssussan
Akposb
Champion001
Pres01
Bluestarry
Waiting!
Re: Writers' Checkmate by Nobody: 10:51am On Feb 19, 2015
Divepen:
[size=16]Assignments[/size]
There will be two Assignments.
1. Each Group will be doing a collaboration and it will must finish in three weeks time.
Writing Method.
* Anybody that want write for his group would indicate here so that things will follow order.
* What I mean is that, the first person to indicate his availability will be the first to write, followed by the second person, the third e.t.c

* It is not by force you write once, you can write as many time as you want, so far each chapter will be written by one person and next chapter another person. Just remember you will be submitting in three weeks time 13th of March.
* In case, you joined Larrysun' and Dyoungstar's collaboration , and the day you are update your group work falls on the period you are to update the collaboration, let your group members know, and let someone else take your place.

How The Scoring Would Be.
* I will be scoring us on everything we've done in the past few days. Therefore, I will not be joining the collaboration.

Bonus Marks.
* You get one mark for each share and like. I.e if there are 10 shares, you get 10 marks.
* Comments by other people, be it other group members, would get you two marks.
The Group That Get The Highest Mark will be awarded Fifty marks.
May The Best Group Win. ,

Tag:
Divepen
Slap1
Cybershow
Kusibe77
Stuff46
Tattesco
Susrite
Evangelio
Theorbiters
Kizzykeziah
Chinweblinkz
Thronekid
Losprince
princesssussan
Akposb
Champion001
Pres01
Bluestarry.,
Just wotha I ve been waiting for, I'm totally in!
Re: Writers' Checkmate by Nobody: 10:53am On Feb 19, 2015
Divepen:
[size=16] New Rules[/size]
Since this is a training place as well as competition, there will be penalty for people who did not drop their stories except they've inform the house that they would not be chanced to write.
Penalties
*When a Writer do not drop his story, two marks will be deducted from his/her group score.
* If the writer do not drop a story or rate a story for a week, he or she will be suspended for one week, and the two points for each day would be removed from the group score.

We need to buckle up and sit tight. Please, we all joined to improve absconding will make matter worse.

Tag:
Divepen
Slap1
Cybershow
Kusibe77
Stuff46
Tattesco
Susrite
Evangelio
Theorbiters
Kizzykeziah
Chinweblinkz
Thronekid
Losprince
princesssussan
Akposb
Champion001
Pres01
Bluestarry.,
Chai papa God, na You Biko!
Re: Writers' Checkmate by Nobody: 10:58am On Feb 19, 2015
Broh Divepen, abeg Write a story using the Effaced narrative style, I'm not yet clear on it ni o!
Sia stuff46 / 46stuff, abeg, give Me your number again ASAP, I don misplace am
Re: Writers' Checkmate by kizzykeziah: 4:11pm On Feb 19, 2015
Penalties are sure tight.

And please help elaborate on the assignment. I'm not exactly a literature student to totally understand the effaced narrating.

Is it the solely the reader's viewpoint we're writing about or narrating without indicating thoughts?
Re: Writers' Checkmate by Nobody: 4:18pm On Feb 19, 2015
Kizzykeziah and theorbiters, you are right. You will write the story without telling us what the writer is thinking, only what readers can see the characters doing. You will not write the feelings of the writer.
Re: Writers' Checkmate by Girltee1(f): 4:21pm On Feb 19, 2015
This is nice. Can I join?
Re: Writers' Checkmate by Nobody: 5:28pm On Feb 19, 2015
"...... Sharon walked slowly down the Hall. She wasn't in an hurry to get to the so-called Executive meeting, its' outcome had always been devastating......"
Broh Divepen, is this what its supposed to look like?
Re: Writers' Checkmate by Nobody: 6:21pm On Feb 19, 2015
Girltee1:
This is nice. Can I join?
oh! Yes group 2
Re: Writers' Checkmate by Nobody: 6:31pm On Feb 19, 2015
thronekid:
"...... Sharon walked slowly down the Hall. She wasn't in an hurry to get to the so-called Executive meeting, its' outcome had always been devastating......"
Broh Divepen, is this what its supposed to look like?

Yes...
Re: Writers' Checkmate by D9ty7(m): 9:03pm On Feb 19, 2015
thronekid:
[b]Hi noble and esteemed Writers, You have a choice of being included in the highly rated 2015 Annual Nairaland Writers collaboration, Your choice to make it big.
This Collaboration, birthed by the Creative and Honourable Duo of Dyoungstar and Larrysun in 2013, is a rich tradition that grants various diversifed Writers a privilege of coming together to plot and cook up a Story and has oft in the recent past, feature great and respectable Writers ranging from D9ty7 to Mazi0menuko, two Writers with utterly antonymous Idealogy, great Writers that You apt might wish to lick their Butts attimes with the way they dazzle even the numbest of the numbs, whenever they opt to speak with the silent aged warrior that thunders most; the Pen. Well, here's Your chance and all You need is Your consent. Sort things within You first.
Also, You'll need to set Your priorities right, know what You want most and make the Killing Move.
And know this, without You, the Collaboration can always hold, always be held, I enjoin.
Interested? Click on https://www.nairaland.com/2149429/2015-pre-collaboration-yearly-writers-collaboration and register Your interest. Hurry, procastinatio helps no One!
[/b]
Oga, must you put my name on that Diamond plated list?
You could have written Larry insead of D9ty7 na or even our president on this thread, Divepen.
D9ty7 is still looking up to the like of Mazi, Larry, Divepen and others. No make my head swell o or I will ban you.
Re: Writers' Checkmate by Nobody: 9:05pm On Feb 19, 2015
Divepen Enligten me more about the assignment..
Explain "collaboration"
how are we to submit..
Must it be a novel.
Please break it down
Re: Writers' Checkmate by theorbiters: 10:35pm On Feb 19, 2015
Alright, I'm in for the checkmates collaboration stuff. Divepen, am I late??
Re: Writers' Checkmate by tattesco(m): 6:54am On Feb 20, 2015
Am finally here o. What's happening my group 1
Re: Writers' Checkmate by Nobody: 12:05pm On Feb 20, 2015
Chinweblinkz:
Divepen Enligten me more about the assignment..
Explain "collaboration"
how are we to submit..
Must it be a novel.
Please break it down

For the assignment, don't add feelings and Thoughts.
For the collaboration, someone will write a chapter in the he feels and others would use some of the information the person had dropped and then use it to build his/ her own chapter
Re: Writers' Checkmate by Nobody: 12:08pm On Feb 20, 2015
theorbiters:
Alright, I'm in for the checkmates collaboration stuff. Divepen, am I late??
No...
Re: Writers' Checkmate by kizzykeziah: 12:21pm On Feb 20, 2015
Being different

The temperature out there was probably 40 degrees Celsius and Hannah could be seen clutching fast to her crutches as the wind blew her hair at Oshodi bus stop. She was trying to get in the queue for the next BRT bus which was approaching.

Every single person rushed to form a line with each person trying to jump in front of another. Hannah couldn't exactly run so she limped and got behind a fat woman with a little boy strapped to her back.

Trying to get herself balanced, she knocked into the baby at the woman's back and he started crying. His mum turned to look at her,

" If you no fit stand normal with your stick, abeg commot for line make person wey get leg wey reach ground come stay," she voiced angrily.

Hannah pacified her, " Madam nor vex."

Just then the queue began to move and Hannah limped forward. She bought her ticket and proceeded to board the bus. She couldn't board easily especially with her side bag and trolley bag which she struggled with.

She was to be the last passenger and with her struggling to get on the bus, the other commuters began to complain.

It was a slim woman holding onto a big 'ghana must go' that started, " Abeg, make you climb fast abi make you go look for another motor enter. Night don come."

As if on cue, the other commuters started raising their own complains. An elderly man then came to help her with her bag as she hid her tears.

Just as she got on, he said in a louder voice, " Nor be her say make she nor get leg like all of us here now. So, abeg e don do," he finished and the whole bus went silent as Hannah got into a seat and the bus driver started the engine.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Writers' Checkmate by Evangelio(m): 1:35pm On Feb 20, 2015
I observed her from where i sat as the doctor spoke to her, whatever information he gave her was not what she wanted to hear for she immediately threw her hands up and landed on the tiled floor, her pretty clothes all but forgotten - though i just cleaned that portion a few minutes ago - as she rolled and shouted in a loud voice

Chinekem eeeee!!

Patients shook their heads as they passed by, the doctor and some nurses held her or tried to as she continued to roll and wriggle on the floor.

Few minutes later, she sat calmly, staring into space, a fair nurse by her side continued to speak to her.
She looked sharply towards the operating room and jumped to her feet running straight to what she saw.....
I followed her with my eyes and saw two nurses wheeling a covered gurney from the operating room, the woman was stopped before she could make it unto the gurney but she fought and kicked and shouted, her wails piercing to the heart, her tears an endless stream but the dead cared less.
Re: Writers' Checkmate by Akposb(m): 7:33pm On Feb 20, 2015
The general shifted uncomfortably on his seat in the special reserved area. He was at the venue of the Nigeria union of journalists convention. His invitation had been hailed across board as an opportunity to foster a close relationship between the ruling military class and the gentlemen of the press.

The Union of Journalist had been campaigning for a change in leadership since the 1975 coup. The military president had decided to come around on this occasion to engage them for a little ostensibly to buy time. He had waited patiently until Mr Bami took centre stage. He began his speech with one of the dailies where he pointed out that foreign investors were leaving the country in droves due to the uncertain nature of political power in the state. He harped on the need for a return to democracy in other to create a democratic setting. The general nodded to register his agreement but his day was just about to get worse.

Suddenly Mr Bami brought up the issue of the student violent protest at the nation's premier university to the fore. He blamed the protest on the military due to their unwillingness to continue to release funds for the university education anymore deeming it too expensive for the nation's treasury. The general quickly stood up and stormed out of the building.
Re: Writers' Checkmate by Cybershow(m): 7:38pm On Feb 20, 2015
Group1 realy angry and tayad of mtn..group 1 av finish typin d story bt 2 submit z a prob.. mtn u dae craz, na my friend fne i tak alert u.. bt e dn go nw o..so my submittin z unda maybe..pls 4gv me
Re: Writers' Checkmate by Cybershow(m): 8:10pm On Feb 20, 2015
The rain was falling heavily in the mid of the night, the plant were jubilating dat God remember them.
I look through the window and i saw the shoow of my life, jide was seen panting heavily running for his dear life i was shook when i saw five men pursing jide, he is a great armed robber in d village and also a cultist.
The men pursing jide caught up with him. The men were armed and with weapon, i was shook but i choose to be brave to know the reason why they want to kill jide.
The first man among them speak out;
"You have the guts to say you want to leave your post in our group".
When the man said this i know that he may be the boss of the cultist member.
The second man ask jide;
"why du u want to leave the post".
jide said slowly in a stammer voice while breathing heavily;
"I have met christ, so am born again, and i can't serve two masters".
The boss was really angry that he wanted to shoot him but he didn't.. So he let go of him but change his mind and shoot him.
In the morning jide is gone....

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Story:lost In A Cold World(an Emotional Story) / The Italian's Baby Mother / Chimamanda Adichie At The Women Of The World Festival In London 2018

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.