Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,764 members, 7,820,669 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:10 PM

Jega’s Tenure Ends On March 24, 2015 By Operation Of Law. - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jega’s Tenure Ends On March 24, 2015 By Operation Of Law. (39207 Views)

CCT’ll Rule On Saraki’s Motion To Dismiss Charges March 24 / Jega's Tenure Ends / 10 Suits Seeking Buhari’s Disqualification To Be Decided On March 24 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jega’s Tenure Ends On March 24, 2015 By Operation Of Law. by Pennywise(m): 10:54pm On Feb 09, 2015
Write up is a complete waste of time. It doesn't merit any attention. What is relevant is who the substantive INEC chairman was at the time of election.
Re: Jega’s Tenure Ends On March 24, 2015 By Operation Of Law. by ayobamiakinrind(m): 10:54pm On Feb 09, 2015
Brightology2:
I want 2 use medium 2 advice mr president.pls dn't repeat d mistake u made by puting jaga sori jega again.pls wen his tenure expire kindly put a very loyal boy as Inec chairman dat will help u ring d election very well 2 ur favour.anybody dat mk noise,arrest d person n put bullet in his leg.especially Buhari,amaechi,liar mohammed,Tinubu,obj.heaven will nt fall. We dey ur back

He'll start with your mother,then ur father, brother(s), sister(s), wife(s) and end with your child(ren)

1 Like

Re: Jega’s Tenure Ends On March 24, 2015 By Operation Of Law. by Nobody: 10:57pm On Feb 09, 2015
redcap:

@ bolded,young lady respect ursef grin grin
grin grin grin
Re: Jega’s Tenure Ends On March 24, 2015 By Operation Of Law. by mustymatic(m): 11:02pm On Feb 09, 2015
See life o

1 Like

Re: Jega’s Tenure Ends On March 24, 2015 By Operation Of Law. by Ganjafama(m): 11:02pm On Feb 09, 2015
Brightology2:
I want 2 use medium 2 advice mr president.pls dn't repeat d mistake u made by puting jaga sori jega again.pls wen his tenure expire kindly put a very loyal boy as Inec chairman dat will help u ring d election very well 2 ur favour.anybody dat mk noise,arrest d person n put bullet in his leg.especially Buhari,amaechi,liar mohammed,Tinubu,obj.heaven will nt fall. We dey ur back
My friend, you are a stark illiterate. Always keep quiet and learn whenever sensible and matured people are commenting on issues that are beyond your comprehension. Common "rig" you can't even spell. Go back to school and improve your english. Better still, I have a cousin who teaches adult literacy class, I can convince her to send you some of the materials.

1 Like

Re: Jega’s Tenure Ends On March 24, 2015 By Operation Of Law. by nnofaith: 11:02pm On Feb 09, 2015
Whoever GEJ choses to replace Jega still has to be confirmed by the senate.

We are waiting for him there, just like OBJ met his waterloo on the 3rd term saga. Checks and balances makes democracy sweet.
Re: Jega’s Tenure Ends On March 24, 2015 By Operation Of Law. by rileyy(m): 11:04pm On Feb 09, 2015
Brightology2:

No be only "ring" idiot, ofcos don't expect heaven to fall on you and your "slowpoke" president, prepare for HELL cos all the blood you guys "shared" (patience jona and the rest) "DIARIS God Ooo"

1 Like

Re: Jega’s Tenure Ends On March 24, 2015 By Operation Of Law. by 9jatriot(m): 11:08pm On Feb 09, 2015
otipoju:

I have never ever been fooled by Jonathan...when people were saying that he is clueless, I disagreed and said he is callous and very selfish and decieteful. His favourite weapon is the cats paw. He let's dirty people do the dirty work for him while he maintains am appearance of docility and innocence.

I saw through him....all the billions that have gone missing were orchestrated by him.

What he has forgotten is that no man is invincible and there are equally callous people existing.

I really pray he does not follow this path cause the flame may turn into an inferno that will consume everything in its wake.

Countries like Russia and Iran will happily sell arms to every side of the divide.

At the end of the day, it is the poor masses that will suffer. Liberia , Rwanda, Sierra Leone nevervfully recovered from the after effects

For the country is worth, he does not care at the bolded part of your statement. I actually pity PDP members who are cheering him up right now. They will be the last pawn in the chess game. They will also find out like the rest of us that he also does not care about them, they are just instruments towards achieving his own selfish goals.

1 Like

Re: Jega’s Tenure Ends On March 24, 2015 By Operation Of Law. by rileyy(m): 11:10pm On Feb 09, 2015
I double dare him "GEJ" to just act on this, the aftermath won't be nice at all. Meanwhile we still pray for #OneNigeria #PeaceReignOnceAgain
Re: Jega’s Tenure Ends On March 24, 2015 By Operation Of Law. by Nobody: 11:14pm On Feb 09, 2015
Brightology2:
SILLY!
Re: Jega’s Tenure Ends On March 24, 2015 By Operation Of Law. by gambit10: 11:19pm On Feb 09, 2015
disloman:
This is d most f00lish n stup1d comment av ever read on nairaland.

The sorry-ass couldn't even spell 'rig' correctly ... He must be a low-life
Re: Jega’s Tenure Ends On March 24, 2015 By Operation Of Law. by BotherMleeper(m): 11:23pm On Feb 09, 2015
Brightology2:

For someone named brightology you're not very bright, and your english is a crime.

You need to be shot in the head and pissed upon.
Re: Jega’s Tenure Ends On March 24, 2015 By Operation Of Law. by ugoshevy(m): 11:30pm On Feb 09, 2015
Brightology2:

Mr Man, Dont mind the insults....You are a comedian, enhance your good talent

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Jega’s Tenure Ends On March 24, 2015 By Operation Of Law. by Nobody: 11:30pm On Feb 09, 2015
bros abeg stop all this, we dont need this justificaton in this moment and season, even the presidency knows its wld be foolish to change Jega at this time, appointing someone b4 the election wont be sensible except there is an interior motive, Nobody cares Let the presidency decide. Trust me if the guy is forced to go on leave that will be the end for jonathan. We hv had numerous cases where tenures of public office holders hv been extended, this isnt the time.
LEt me put it straight elections are conducted ones in 4 years, he had been on leave for 4years, nw it time to work.

1 Like

Re: Jega’s Tenure Ends On March 24, 2015 By Operation Of Law. by simpleman: 11:32pm On Feb 09, 2015
After going through the article, i just had this nagging feeling that these kind of articles are brought up to sensitize the public on what is to come, so that when it happens even the die hard supporters of INEC and APC will just accept it without any struggle. Just to confirm my feelings i went over to the writers blog. And his argument against the SAN's case for The president's disqualification from contesting this election, really confirmed it.
The penitent question to ask is why would you remove Jega ( even if it is compulsory retirement ) at this most crucial time of the election timetable. Why even think about it. Knowing fully well that any person brought in to replace Jega will only be seen as a stooge. so i ask the article writer why even think about it ?

2 Likes

Re: Jega’s Tenure Ends On March 24, 2015 By Operation Of Law. by Nobody: 11:38pm On Feb 09, 2015
They should just impeach this clueless man, he has over stayed his welcome
Re: Jega’s Tenure Ends On March 24, 2015 By Operation Of Law. by Nobody: 11:41pm On Feb 09, 2015
disloman:
This is d most f00lish n stup1d comment av ever read on nairaland.
He's just senseless.
Re: Jega’s Tenure Ends On March 24, 2015 By Operation Of Law. by xklucvG: 11:42pm On Feb 09, 2015
nigerianchoice:
In the interest of full disclosure, let me say from the outset that this piece is nonpartisan. It is, instead, an apolitical academic exercise, primarily intended as a simple legal treatise, without being personal, on the legalities of tenure of Prof Attahiru Jega as INEC Chairman. Having said that, let me then give reasons why Jega’s tenure legally or actually comes to end on March 24, 2015, instead of the presumptive June 24, 2015.

Jega was appointed by President Jonathan on June 8, 2010, and confirmed by the Senate on June 24, 2010. Under the law, his tenure runs for five years. Mathematically, therefore his tenure ‘exactly’ ends on June 24, 2015, counting from the date of Senate confirmation.

But accordingly to extant rules and our time-honored conventions, his tenure ‘actually’ comes to an end on March 24 because he is required, without more, to compulsorily proceed on terminal leave three months to the mathematical end of his tenure. And this is being very generous because, if you go by the ‘doctrine of relation back’, a strong case can be made that his terminal leave shall commence on March 8 (the date he was appointed), instead of March 24 (the date he was confirmed).

For those who might argue otherwise, there are legions of precedents, including, most notably, that of Jega’s predecessor, Prof Maurice Iwu. Iwu’s tenure was due to expire on June 13, 2010. However, on April 28, 2010, then acting President Jonathan, ordered Iwu to proceed on terminal leave. That Iwu’s own terminal leave was less than three months to his mathematical five years was probably a matter of expediency of that turbulent era and presidential grace, to boot.

In recent times, we have seen other equally constitutionally-tenured public servants proceed on terminal leave before the exact date of expiration of their tenure. Here are few examples. Former IGP Abubakar’s tenure was due to end on July 30, 2014 but he proceeded or was sent on terminal leave on May 12, 2014. Former Chief Justice of the Federation, Justice Dahiru Musdapher voluntarily proceeded on terminal leave three months before the constitutional or mathematical end of his tenure. Ditto for former PCA, Justice Salami, even though his own was somewhat exceptional because he was on suspension when his terminal leave clock began to tick. I might add that Salami fought his for its exceptional equities but still lost. Jega has no such equities.

To underscore that there are no exceptions, the Federal Government, in a well-received circular issued by the former Head of Service, Alhaji Isa Bello Sali, had “called on those affected to comply with immediate effect by observing the three months terminal leave as provided for in the extant Rules”. Unarguably, those affected included, without exceptions, all public servants that have constitutional or legal tenure, either based on fixed tenure-track, as in the case of Iwu, Jega, etc; or straight retirement based on 35 years service (the IGP) or age (Justice Musdapher).

According to the circular, which is captioned ‘Three Months Pre-Retirement/Terminal Leave’, the government stated that “It has been observed that the mandatory notice of retirement for officers who are due to retire is not being observed as provided for in the extant rules. Accordingly, it has become necessary to reiterate the provisions of Public Service Rules (PSR) 100238 which states that officers are required to give three months notice of their retirement from service terminating on the effective date of their retirement”. For avoidance of doubt, the term retirement, in context, applies, mutatis mutandis, to those on fixed tenure like Jega.

The circular was addressed and sent to the Chief of Staff to the President, Chief Justice of the Federation, all Ministers, Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Service Chiefs, the Inspector-General of Police, Chairman Federal Civil Service Commission, the Chairman, Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), and the Chairman of Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC). Others are Heads of extra-ministerial departments, the Accountant-General of the Federation, Auditor-General of the Federation, Surveyor-General of the Federation, Directors-General/chief executives of parastatals and agencies.

So, as we can see from above, it is left for Jega to decide between these two options: It is either he voluntarily proceeds on his terminal leave by March 24, 2015, or he may be forced to do so by executive fiat. If, however, he is emboldened to sit tight, he has to know that any extra day he spends in office beyond March 24 is not by any force of law but by the sheer good graces of President Jonathan.

Nice info thumbs up bro. Please somebody should let APC know this and take the neccessary steps. From the look of things elections might not hold. God save Nigeria from this debacle.
Re: Jega’s Tenure Ends On March 24, 2015 By Operation Of Law. by PhockPhockMan: 11:50pm On Feb 09, 2015
berem:
So that means the election will be postponed again. What will the new INEC chairman do in the next four days to the elections?
My Sweetheart, Leave the matter for the clueless President Jonathan fisherman.
gringringringringrin
Re: Jega’s Tenure Ends On March 24, 2015 By Operation Of Law. by Nobody: 11:52pm On Feb 09, 2015
Brightology2:
mehn I'm ashamed of some Nigerians. pls tell me you're just been sarcastic.. please?
Re: Jega’s Tenure Ends On March 24, 2015 By Operation Of Law. by redcap: 11:55pm On Feb 09, 2015
Tinubu the Jagaban of Lagos is a learner when it comes to national politics.
This has to be the hottest election I have witnessed in my life,I just hope the country will cone out stronger.But deep inside of me I still crave for my beloved biafra.#secessionwithoutwar >sad
Re: Jega’s Tenure Ends On March 24, 2015 By Operation Of Law. by annurhaske(m): 11:57pm On Feb 09, 2015
Wat ever.

2 Likes

Re: Jega’s Tenure Ends On March 24, 2015 By Operation Of Law. by Nobody: 12:20am On Feb 10, 2015
see politics.... Jega is gone. Is a pity

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Jega’s Tenure Ends On March 24, 2015 By Operation Of Law. by lastpage: 12:20am On Feb 10, 2015
living2013:
There is no smoke without fire

The election postponement is pregnant

More drama are yet to unfold

But God will surely see us through

First it was Mathew Mbu, after doinghis Master bidding in Rivers, is sent to come and re-enact same in Lagos
Then the Nigerian military who were supposed to have nipped the insecurity in the North, in the bid for the last three years, are the ones, through the NSA, saying they cant provide security for Elections...except if it is postponed!
A lot of intelligent people have asked: What is it that Nigerian Military could not do in 3years, that they intend to do in six weeks?

Then election was postponed for six weeks.

All of a sudden, the Navy acquires a Naval vessel the next day....then they start "jogging through the streets of Lagos", threatening to "deal with trouble" shocked shocked shocked ...like Abubakar Shekau and the 300 kidnapped girls have relocated to Lagos!

Ofcourse, we watched the recorded Video of how the military was sued to "win the election in Ekiti" ...yet they claim they are neutral!

Now, we hear that Jega must either resign before the election he is organising or be booted out by the same Jonathan! ...to be replaced by a more "malleable Prof Wuruwuru"? shocked shocked

Well, Prof Jega can "convert" his annual leave to CASH as done in most organisations, where the presence of that staff is required at work. SIMPLES! kiss

"Cunny man die, Cunny man bury am"

But let no one make the mistake that Nigerians are stewpid.
We are a step ahead of all the desperate moves of this Govt and will respond if need be.

"Pikin wey say im Mama no go sleep, should expect no sleep either".
There are lessons to learn from the likes of Laurent Gbabo from Ivory Coast, Samuel Doe, Charles Taylor and Yommy Johnson from Liberia, e.t.c.
No President can play "Mr. Invincible" anymore.

Lastpage!

3 Likes

Re: Jega’s Tenure Ends On March 24, 2015 By Operation Of Law. by lastpage: 12:25am On Feb 10, 2015
xklucvG:

Nice info thumbs up bro. Please somebody should let APC know this and take the neccessary steps. From the look of things elections might not hold. God save Nigeria from this debacle.

"Those who make PEACEFUL CHANGE IMPOSSIBLE, ...make VIOLENT CHANGE INEVITABLE".

They themselves shall be consumed, those that set up a fire in this country!

Nuff said!

Lastpage!

1 Like

Re: Jega’s Tenure Ends On March 24, 2015 By Operation Of Law. by maclatunji: 12:28am On Feb 10, 2015
The writer is bending the truth. I would really like to see how intelligent the president really is with those encouraging him with this idea. Terminal leave is for those that are not in the middle of a critical project.

So election. can be postponed but the INEC chief's tenure should be shortened? There's only so much crookedness you can have that won't eventually haunt you.

2 Likes

Re: Jega’s Tenure Ends On March 24, 2015 By Operation Of Law. by lastpage: 12:35am On Feb 10, 2015
Dont worry yourself too much.

It is NOT A MUST that one must go on terminal leave.

IT GETS CONVERTED TO CASH, IF THE OFFICER'S PRESENCE IS NEEDED!......... and JEGA's Presence is much needed so He aint going no-where wink

Oyinbo wey make Pencil, na im make Eraser joor!

Jonathan is just digging his own grave.
Samuel Doe and Laurent Gbagbo use tofeel like Mr Invincible before they met their waterloo.

Some folks dont learn from History. What led to the Civil war seems to want to repeat itself. undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: Jega’s Tenure Ends On March 24, 2015 By Operation Of Law. by sage2(m): 1:47am On Feb 10, 2015
barcanista:
I have always known that PDP has a plan.....Sadly, they are having their way!!!!

I have always known that all parties have plans. I think the APC took the PDP for granted are they are about to pay for it. The military is also not happy with the APC.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Jega’s Tenure Ends On March 24, 2015 By Operation Of Law. by ICEMAN(m): 1:57am On Feb 10, 2015
Checkmate
Re: Jega’s Tenure Ends On March 24, 2015 By Operation Of Law. by lastpage: 1:57am On Feb 10, 2015
You need to listen to the INTERVIEW GRANTED by the same Soldier who made the AUDIO RECORDING on how the Ekiti election was RIGGED.

These Jonathan is bastardizing our military so much

http://saharareporters.com/2015/02/08/how-army-was-used-rig-election-ekiti-gov-fayose-nigerian-army-captain-who-secretly

Lastpage!
Re: Jega’s Tenure Ends On March 24, 2015 By Operation Of Law. by GboyegaD(m): 2:01am On Feb 10, 2015
Did the law at any point in time stipulated the leave like the OP stated? Did anyone read the examples he gave with date that they were less than 3 months? Truth is the president in this case cannot ask Jega to proceed on leave until he completes his assignments.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Photos: VP Osinbajo Pays Condolence Visit To Afenifere Leader, Reuben Fasoranti / Electronic-Voting: The Best Type Of Election Suitable For Nigeria And Nigerians / Ibrahim Musa Kazaure: I Deserve To Be Jailed Over How I Served Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.