Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,897 members, 7,828,160 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 03:58 AM

Should We Tell His Father About His HIV Status? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should We Tell His Father About His HIV Status? (20746 Views)

4 Lessons I Learned From My Abusive Father About Forgiveness / This Little Boy Perfectly Imitates His Father's Palour Posture / This Boy Was Involved In An Accident That Killed His Father. Do You Know Him? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should We Tell His Father About His HIV Status? by Nobody: 9:42pm On Feb 10, 2015
My late sista had a son for one guy who refused to marry her. And it was before her death dat we realised dat she was HIV+. We found out late else we wd hav put her on drugs.

But since den we hav been putting her son, my nephew, on HIV drugs. And its been like 5 yrs now. He's 10 and wd be done with primary scl dis yr. My mom wants him to scl close to d house so dat she can monitor him but he wants to go to a bording school. He says he wants to go to a navy scl and my mom is not comfortable with the idea.

I and my mom hav bin taking care of him doe his fada supports sometimes. He lives with my mom in our family house but he usually visits his dad especially during holidays.

D issue is his dad is not aware of his health challenge. My mom just told me dis today and we are so both confused. My mom doesnt know how his dad will feel if she tells him now cos she feels she wd hav told him earlier, and she is also scared his dad mite stop him from visiting him cos d dude can be silly sometimes.

Me sef I cant even think of any clue rite now dats why am asking d honorable house members for ideas. Pls how do we go abt it? Shd we tell his dad or shd we wait till he is much beta healthwise?

Ur ideas wd go a long way.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should We Tell His Father About His HIV Status? by Nobody: 9:48pm On Feb 10, 2015
This is a tricky situation.

I would say that his father must know it. He is his father and it is safer this way. You cannot keep it secret forever and you shouldn't.

If the father rejects his son on hearing the news, then he does not deserve to be called father.

If that happens, tell the boy a story in order not to hurt his feelings. Tell him that his father had to move far away for some reason. You will have to think of a justifiable reason until then.

May God help you all.

30 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Should We Tell His Father About His HIV Status? by baby124: 9:50pm On Feb 10, 2015
How can the father not know his son's health challenge. The chances the father has it is high too. Let the father know. And please, dont send that boy to boarding house without the school knowing his status. So that other kids dont get infected unintentionally. That would be wicked. Who still even sends their kids to all these boarding house undecided

16 Likes

Re: Should We Tell His Father About His HIV Status? by dkronicle(m): 9:52pm On Feb 10, 2015
U guys should let him know. It necessary. I cant h8 my son for livin a foolish life. Just let him no

2 Likes

Re: Should We Tell His Father About His HIV Status? by BeeBeeOoh(m): 9:52pm On Feb 10, 2015
Iffakum baq hiya again & u neva telam, just 20volts of slap from d gods & ur life will neva remain d same..
Re: Should We Tell His Father About His HIV Status? by thorpido(m): 9:54pm On Feb 10, 2015
If your late sister was HIV+ and the son is also positive,what is the status of the father?Unfortunately,you might not be able to ascertain the status of the father since you don't have that relationship with him.

Tell him......he needs to know.
Whichever way it turns out,the health of the boy is what matters at the end.

I will not support the boy going to a boarding school.He needs close monitoring.

14 Likes

Re: Should We Tell His Father About His HIV Status? by pinkycute(f): 9:54pm On Feb 10, 2015
If ur late sister was HIV+ and she had a son for someone DAT refuse to married her before her dead embarassed that means, the baby father has HIV too... Well, you guys need to Inform him about his son status before It will be too late..

Modify******

4 Likes

Re: Should We Tell His Father About His HIV Status? by cococandy(f): 9:55pm On Feb 10, 2015
If the mother passed on the virus to the child during delivery or pregnancy? There's a high chance the dad is positive too.
He probably knows and is on drugs too since he hasn't shown any symptoms himself since the lady died.

Or he hasn't discovered his status yet. Knowing his son's status will help him be aware of his own status in case he doesn't know yet.

So i'd say 'tell him'.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should We Tell His Father About His HIV Status? by ArewaSweetheart(f): 9:59pm On Feb 10, 2015
@op, i also concur that you should inform your nephew's dad about his son's hiv status as soon as possible pls.

It is very unwise for you & your mom to further keep him in the dark on the issue. I'd advise you discuss the issue with him when next he comes over to see his son. cool

1 Like

Re: Should We Tell His Father About His HIV Status? by baby124: 10:00pm On Feb 10, 2015
cococandy:
If the mother passed on the virus to the child during delivery or pregnancy? There's a high chance the dad is positive too.
He probably knows and is on drugs too since he hasn't shown any symptoms himself since the lady died.

Or he hasn't discovered his status yet. Knowing his son's status will help him be aware of his own status in case he doesn't know yet.

So i'd say 'tell him'.

For the father to be hale and hearty for so long, i hope he did not intentionally infect the girl and then leave her to carry a pregnancy and risk passing it to her child. That will just be wicked. wow. embarassed. Abeg, what happened to that thread? That guy was threatening up and down. I saw someone put up his picture, and then fiam. The thing was gone. I searched and found that his pics are here on NL. For someone with a very big mouth, this is an interesting find. grin. He does not even fear for his life. With all the threats he has been throwing, his pics are on NL shocked

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should We Tell His Father About His HIV Status? by yemmit90: 10:03pm On Feb 10, 2015
@op, his father must be aware of his health status as earlier as possible. Though it might not be easy for you and your mom to just break the news to him just like that.

Meanwhile, in order to make it easy. You can simply take the boy to the Hospital and call the father he has a malaria. On getting there, tell the Doctor to carry out a new HIV test on him and invites the father for the result.

Note: you must keep it secret that the boy has been on HIV drugs since few years ago.

my heart is broken on hearing that a little boy of 10years old is living with HIV. How I wish I've power/drugs to deliver him.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should We Tell His Father About His HIV Status? by Nobody: 10:05pm On Feb 10, 2015
ArewaSweetheart:
@op, i also concur that you should inform your nephew's dad about his son's hiv status as soon as possible pls.

It is very unwise for you & your mom to further keep him in the dark on the issue. I'd advise you discuss the issue with him when next he comes over to see his son. cool

Thanks. We will let him know. I tot he knew all dis while. Well for d oda part, he neva comes to visit his son. Its his son dat always goes to see him since his place is just 5mins walk from my mom's.

Thanks again for your contribution.
Re: Should We Tell His Father About His HIV Status? by KAYCEEJUNIOR(m): 10:05pm On Feb 10, 2015
Just dey pity the young man.
Many issues runing at the background of our lives that we don't seems to know, just imagine how diverstated my life will be when someone walk up to me and tells me that my mum ain't my real mom.
oya just imagine at a very tender age, lost your mum, distant father and a HIV to beacon with......traumatic and stigmatic.

3 Likes

Re: Should We Tell His Father About His HIV Status? by Nobody: 10:08pm On Feb 10, 2015
carefreewannabe:
This is a tricky situation.

I would say that his father must know it. He is his father and it is saver this way. You cannot keep it secret forever and you shouldn't.

If the father rejects his son on hearing the news, then he does not deserve to be called father.

If that happens, tell the boy a story in order not to hurt his feelings. Tell him that his father had to move far away for some reason. You will have to think of a justifiable reason until then.

May God help you all.

Thanks. I tot my mom told his dad a long time ago. Well, his dad lives very close to my mom's so der is no running away thingy.

We'll just let him know dats all. Thanks again.

2 Likes

Re: Should We Tell His Father About His HIV Status? by thorpido(m): 10:09pm On Feb 10, 2015
yemmit90:

my heart is broken on hearing that a little boy of 10years old is living with HIV. How I wish I've power/drugs to deliver him.
Many children are living with HIV..........passed on to them at birth or got infected somehow while living with infected parents.
Re: Should We Tell His Father About His HIV Status? by baby124: 10:11pm On Feb 10, 2015
thorpido:
Many children are living with HIV..........@passed on to them at birth or got infected somehow while living with infected parents.

hmm, na wa o. That is why parents should teach their kids from a young age about sex, abstinence and what is out there. Little kids have it now o. Its not a sexually active person's issue. He is too young for all this burden.

3 Likes

Re: Should We Tell His Father About His HIV Status? by cococandy(f): 10:14pm On Feb 10, 2015
baby124:

For the father to be hale and hearty for so long, i hope he did not intentionally infect the girl and then leave her to carry a pregnancy and risk passing it to her child. That will just be wicked. wow. embarassed.
it is quite possible. 10yrs is a longtime for him to not have found out: Human beings can be very wicked.

On the other hand, let me give him benefit of a doubt that he may not know. You know pregnant women and women who just got delivered of a baby have very low immunity. it is possible for her to have succumbed faster for that reason while the man remains unaware because he hasn't been tested.

Or she got it from somewhere else and he was lucky not to have contracted it. Very possible too.
I've seen a pregnant woman with HIV but the husband didn't get it.

Abeg, what happened to that thread? That guy was threatening up and down. I saw someone put up his picture, and then fiam. The thing was gone. I searched and found that his pics are here on NL. For someone with a very big mouth, this is an interesting find. grin. He does not even fear for his life. With all the threats he has been throwing, his pics are on NL shocked
shocked shocked

I went out. I missed that. Lol. Funny world.
Abeg show me pix jare.

1 Like

Re: Should We Tell His Father About His HIV Status? by baby124: 10:15pm On Feb 10, 2015
cococandy:
it is quite possible. 10yrs is a longtime for him to not have found out: Human beings can be very wicked.

On the other hand, let me give him benefit of a doubt that he may not know. You know pregnant women and women who just got delivered of a baby have very low immunity. it is possible for her to have succumbed faster for that reason while the man remains unaware because he hasn't been tested.

Or she got it from somewhere else and he was lucky not to have contracted it. Very possible too.
I've seen a pregnant woman with HIV but the husband didn't get it.

shocked shocked

I went out. I missed that. Lol. Funny world.
Abeg show me pix jare.

Just type the name in google with nairaland pic and check images.
Re: Should We Tell His Father About His HIV Status? by thorpido(m): 10:16pm On Feb 10, 2015
baby124:

hmm, na wa o. That is why parents should teach their kids from a young age about sex, abstinence and what is out there. He is too young for all this burden.
Very important.There are people who are still having unprotected sex without knowing anything about the partner's status.

The lady in question could have just had an affair with this boy's dad without knowing anything about his status and the boy's father probably didn't know too.People just think if you look decent enough,you can't have it.

2 Likes

Re: Should We Tell His Father About His HIV Status? by ArewaSweetheart(f): 10:16pm On Feb 10, 2015
obongproff:

Thanks. We will let him know. I tot he knew all dis while. Well for d oda part, he neva comes to visit his son. Its his son dat always goes to see him since his place is just 5mins walk from my mom's.

Thanks again for your contribution.

Alright then. That means you will have to make out time to go see him about the issue anytime soon (prefarably on a weekend when he's less stressed & more relaxed).

Hope he relates well with your family sha?
Re: Should We Tell His Father About His HIV Status? by cococandy(f): 10:17pm On Feb 10, 2015
baby124:

Just type the name in google with nairaland pic and check images.
i wish I knew what name to type.

I'm gonna pass jare. Not worth it smiley
Re: Should We Tell His Father About His HIV Status? by delishpot: 10:18pm On Feb 10, 2015
Tell the dad. He needs to know so that he can check his own status too.
The father knowing may cause 2 or 3 problems namely
1 The man may be HIV pissitive too
2 If he is not positive, he may think the child isnt his and your sister cheated on him. Which may not be true cos HIV is not gotten through sex alone.
3 if the father is positive he most likely will still love his child and keep him close but if dad is negative, he may push the poor boy away.

Well, I will sugest you first tell him your sister died of AIDS and ask if he knows his own status Since they were sexualy involved. Based on his response, you can then decide to open up about his son or not

4 Likes

Re: Should We Tell His Father About His HIV Status? by baby124: 10:19pm On Feb 10, 2015
cococandy:
i wish I knew what name to type.

I'm gonna pass jare. Not worth it smiley

grin grin grin. This is funny. I am saving the pic just in case i will need it. He talks too much for his own good.

1 Like

Re: Should We Tell His Father About His HIV Status? by olu4life(m): 10:21pm On Feb 10, 2015
Sorry but is d father now married? If yes,does he have kids?
Re: Should We Tell His Father About His HIV Status? by yemmit90: 10:25pm On Feb 10, 2015
thorpido:
Many children are living with HIV..........passed on to them at birth or got infected somehow while living with infected parents.

It's so sad and very unfortunate!
Re: Should We Tell His Father About His HIV Status? by Nobody: 10:54pm On Feb 10, 2015
ArewaSweetheart:

Alright then. That means you will have to make out time to go see him about the issue anytime soon (prefarably on a weekend when he's less stressed & more relaxed).

Hope he relates well with your family sha?

Yeah he does. Will see to dat

1 Like

Re: Should We Tell His Father About His HIV Status? by Nobody: 11:51pm On Feb 10, 2015
pinkycute:
If ur late sister was HIV+ and she had a son for someone DAT refuse to married her before her dead embarassed that means, the baby father has HIV too... Well, you guys need to Inform him about his son status before I will be too late..
you are pinkcutie?
Re: Should We Tell His Father About His HIV Status? by Miami11: 11:55pm On Feb 10, 2015
It depends if the dad is a mature person
With all stygma associated with HIV you don't want him breaching the young boys privacy.

If he is a part time dad I would not bother telling him. You guys have managed for fives years. Continue the same thing. Let the boy tell him on free will when he grows up.

2 Likes

Re: Should We Tell His Father About His HIV Status? by countsparrow: 8:37am On Feb 11, 2015
Say what you need to say

Have no fear for giving in
Have no fear for giving over
You'd better know that in the end
Its better to say too much
Then never say what you need to say again...

John mayer "say what you need to say"
Re: Should We Tell His Father About His HIV Status? by coldsummer: 8:38am On Feb 11, 2015
[size=18pt]Yes

You don't know where your sister got it. If the father and your sister were going at it before she died, then the man is most likely to be +.

He too could be on drugs so you never can tell.

If he turns his back on the boy because of his status then it would be unfortunate because the boy is just a victim of circumstance.

In any case, he's the boy's father, he deserves to know.
[/size]
Re: Should We Tell His Father About His HIV Status? by kekakuz(m): 8:38am On Feb 11, 2015
[size=20pt]well your parents are the only people biologically programmed to love you no matter what
so why not[/size]

1 Like

Re: Should We Tell His Father About His HIV Status? by chival(f): 8:40am On Feb 11, 2015
dkronicle:
U guys should let him know. It necessary. I cant h8 my son for livin a foolish life. Just let him no

Did you read the story?

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Is There Anything Wrong With Bein A House Husband / Characteristics Of A Wife Material By Reno Omokri / Adorable Reaction Of An Old Woman To Her Grandson’s New Car (Video )

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.