Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,228 members, 7,846,065 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 10:13 AM

Should We Tell His Father About His HIV Status? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should We Tell His Father About His HIV Status? (20783 Views)

4 Lessons I Learned From My Abusive Father About Forgiveness / This Little Boy Perfectly Imitates His Father's Palour Posture / This Boy Was Involved In An Accident That Killed His Father. Do You Know Him? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should We Tell His Father About His HIV Status? by 3pleo: 8:40am On Feb 11, 2015
Re: Should We Tell His Father About His HIV Status? by emeka2847: 8:41am On Feb 11, 2015
Is he an adult? Is he entitled to confidentiality?
Re: Should We Tell His Father About His HIV Status? by Burger01(m): 8:42am On Feb 11, 2015
thorpido:
If your late sister was HIV+ and the son is also positive,what is the status of the father?Unfortunately,you might not be able to ascertain the status of the father since you don't have that relationship with him.

Tell him......he needs to know.
Whichever way it turns out,the health of the boy is what matters at the end.

I will not support the boy going to a boarding school.He needs close monitoring.
The father is invariably positive unless the mother had the child for another man that had been positive. The father may not know his status but i doubt this.. The father should be told about the child status. Period.
Re: Should We Tell His Father About His HIV Status? by ArchEnemy(m): 8:42am On Feb 11, 2015
BeeBeeOoh:
Iffakum baq hiya again & u neva telam, just 20volts of slap from d gods & ur life will neva remain d same..
lol
Re: Should We Tell His Father About His HIV Status? by Nobody: 8:53am On Feb 11, 2015
Tell the dad of his status that's the best thing to do.
His reaction might be good or bad but that'll tell how mature he is.Let him get enlightened about HIV,the doctors may be in good position to tell him and talk to him.

if he abandons his son cus of his status that'll go a longway to say how good a father he is.

Not all family can deal with this,but when you find your self in a caring and understanding family you'll love life.

I have a cousin with the virus..he's 15yrs and has been infected since birth.First,he was discriminated by most of us...but when I was picked in med school to go out for awareness campaign, my views changed..
we all treat him normal and equal and his cD4 is improving daily.

HIV doesn't kill,its the victimization + discrimination + lack of education nd awareness + stigmatization that kills.
show some love smiley

cc: obongproff

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should We Tell His Father About His HIV Status? by Nobody: 8:57am On Feb 11, 2015
Burger01:

The father is invariably positive unless the mother had the child for another man that had been positive. The father may not know his status but i doubt this.. The father should be told about the child status. Period.

the father has 60% chance of being N E G A T I V E !
HIV is not contracted through sexual intercourse alone...so what if the mother got infected through other ways the dad wasn't exposed to
Re: Should We Tell His Father About His HIV Status? by Goddys(m): 8:59am On Feb 11, 2015
Take that boy to The Lord's chosen charismatic revival movement at Ijesha bustop bu oshodi/Apapa expressway way.After the General Overseer pray for him,you will know that God is really alive.Have heard testimonies of more than thousands of victims God healed through the Man of God
Re: Should We Tell His Father About His HIV Status? by Franchise21(m): 9:00am On Feb 11, 2015
It's best u let him knw
Re: Should We Tell His Father About His HIV Status? by BlackPeni5: 9:00am On Feb 11, 2015
I don't understand this story...If the mother died of HIV and the child has HIV, then it is most likely that the Dad also has HIV.

Therefore he should be told about the child's status.
Re: Should We Tell His Father About His HIV Status? by Dejohnbull: 9:03am On Feb 11, 2015
BeeBeeOoh:
Iffakum baq hiya again & u neva telam, just 20volts of slap from d gods & ur life will neva remain d same..
Lol slap from the gods
Re: Should We Tell His Father About His HIV Status? by GodMode: 9:05am On Feb 11, 2015
cococandy:
it is quite possible. 10yrs is a longtime for him to not have found out: Human beings can be very wicked.

On the other hand, let me give him benefit of a doubt that he may not know. You know pregnant women and women who just got delivered of a baby have very low immunity. it is possible for her to have succumbed faster for that reason while the man remains unaware because he hasn't been tested.

Or she got it from somewhere else and he was lucky not to have contracted it. Very possible too.
I've seen a pregnant woman with HIV but the husband didn't get it.

shocked shocked

I went out. I missed that. Lol. Funny world.
Abeg show me pix jare.

Benefit of the doubt After 10yrs What weed are you smoking
Re: Should We Tell His Father About His HIV Status? by Burger01(m): 9:09am On Feb 11, 2015
Kizmarty:

the father has 60% chance of being N E G A T I V E !
HIV is not contracted through sexual intercourse alone...so what if the mother got infected through other ways the dad wasn't exposed to
Yeah, i agree the father has chance of being negative but the chance is very slim. All these assumptions wouldn't arise if the mother had passed through maternity clinic where proper testing would be done on her to determine her status and prevent the child from being infected. If the mother didn't pass through maternity clinic and showed up during labour, the clinic or hospital would've done test on her to ascertain her status and invariably placed the child on prophylaxis if need be. That's why it is most advisable to encourage pregnant women to register for maternity in a good hospital or clinic..

1 Like

Re: Should We Tell His Father About His HIV Status? by Amhappy(f): 9:15am On Feb 11, 2015
Let the father know his child status. You cannot control his decision but withholding the information is not right.
Re: Should We Tell His Father About His HIV Status? by Etizz: 9:32am On Feb 11, 2015
TO be frank with u,the boy should not go to boarding skool,secondly, i believe the father knows better than u think,....the question is does the father know if he himself is HIV positive? am sorry to say, but if your sister die of that disease,definitely, the father of that boy might likely have it, the issue here now is, u must tell the father so as for him to know his own status,.....no harm.....i pray GOD be with the boy....
Re: Should We Tell His Father About His HIV Status? by heilige(m): 9:46am On Feb 11, 2015
Inform his father and let the father fully care for his child irrespective of the situation
Re: Should We Tell His Father About His HIV Status? by Ikanium(m): 9:51am On Feb 11, 2015
What a friend we have in Jesus,
All our sins and griefs to bear!
What a privilege to carry
Everything to God in prayer!
Oh, what peace we often forfeit,
Oh, what needless pain we bear,
All because we do not carry
Everything to God in prayer!
Have we trials and temptations?
Is there trouble anywhere?
We should never be discouraged—
Take it to the Lord in prayer.
Can we find a friend so faithful,
Who will all our sorrows share?
Jesus knows our every weakness;
Are we weak and heavy-laden,
Cumbered with a load of care?
Precious Savior, still our refuge—
Do thy friends despise, forsake thee?
Take it to the Lord in prayer!
In His arms He’ll take and shield thee,
Thou wilt find a solace there.
Blessed Savior, Thou hast promised
Thou wilt all our burdens bear;
May we ever, Lord, be bringing
All to Thee in earnest prayer.
Soon in glory bright, unclouded,
There will be no need for prayer—
Rapture, praise, and endless worship
Will be our sweet portion there.
Re: Should We Tell His Father About His HIV Status? by Chadso(m): 9:53am On Feb 11, 2015
pinkycute:
If ur late sister was HIV+ and she had a son for someone DAT refuse to married her before her dead embarassed that means, the baby father has HIV too... Well, you guys need to Inform him about his son status before It will be too late..

Modify******
babe.. Your English na one in a million eh!!

1 Like

Re: Should We Tell His Father About His HIV Status? by freshyabstel: 9:53am On Feb 11, 2015
thorpido:
Many children are living with HIV..........passed on to them at birth or got infected somehow while living with infected parents.
My advice is that they boy should be taken to a very strong man of God for healing. I have seen and heard hiv+ being healed by God. Take him to redemption camp or beta still to synagogue and i promise u, u will song a new song. Note. U must have faith in God that He's morethan able to heal your nephew b4 going. Ephes 3:20
Re: Should We Tell His Father About His HIV Status? by freshyabstel: 9:56am On Feb 11, 2015
My advice is that they boy should be taken to a very strong man of God for healing. I have seen and heard hiv+ being healed by God. Take him to redemption camp or beta still to synagogue and i promise u, u will song a new song. Note. U must have faith in God that He's morethan able to heal your nephew b4 going. Ephes 3:20
Re: Should We Tell His Father About His HIV Status? by pillowcase: 10:00am On Feb 11, 2015
pinkycute:
If ur late sister was HIV+ and she had a son for someone DAT refuse to married her before her dead embarassed that means, the baby father has HIV too... Well, you guys need to Inform him about his son status before It will be too late..

Modify******
Are u for real with ur diction? shocked cheesy cheesy You should modify your signature..English isn't difficult undecided
Re: Should We Tell His Father About His HIV Status? by Nobody: 10:02am On Feb 11, 2015
Kizmarty:
Tell the dad of his status that's the best thing to do.
His reaction might be good or bad but that'll tell how mature he is.Let him get enlightened about HIV,the doctors may be in good position to tell him and talk to him.

if he abandons his son cus of his status that'll go a longway to say how good a father he is.

Not all family can deal with this,but when you find your self in a caring and understanding family you'll love life.

I have a cousin with the virus..he's 15yrs and has been infected since birth.First,he was discriminated by most of us...but when I was picked in med school to go out for awareness campaign, my views changed..
we all treat him normal and equal and his cD4 is improving daily.

HIV doesn't kill,its the victimization + discrimination + lack of education nd awareness + stigmatization that kills.
show some love smiley

cc: obongproff

Tanx bro. Rily appreciate.
Re: Should We Tell His Father About His HIV Status? by ohenhen1: 10:17am On Feb 11, 2015
coldsummer:
[size=18pt]Yes

You don't know where your sister got it. If the father and your sister were going at it before she died, then the man is most likely to be +.

He too could be on drugs so you never can tell.

If he turns his back on the boy because of his status then it would be unfortunate because the boy is just a victim of circumstance.

In any case, he's the boy's father, he deserves to know.
[/size]

His father may not HIV, but it is highly possible.
Re: Should We Tell His Father About His HIV Status? by Olayinkaoj(m): 10:28am On Feb 11, 2015
Unfortunately or fortunately, it is not automatic that the father must be HIV positive. It won't surprise me if he is negative. We have several cases like that amongst couples, especially when it is the female that is negative.

In answering the question, you need to tell the father but don't allow the boy to attend a boarding school.

pinkycute:

Modify******
Re: Should We Tell His Father About His HIV Status? by Nobody: 10:36am On Feb 11, 2015
First of all, I want to point out that HIV/AIDS is a very dicey situation in our society. And it's not handled with kid gloves. Everyone saying that they (OP) should inform the child's father is yet to understand the implications of that act. And if you must do that, you will need to seek advice from a trained HIV/AIDS counsellor. He/she would guide you on disclosure.
I have seen families reject, deny, stigmatize their own. Even someone who used to be the sole breadwinner in the family simply because of his HIV status. On the other hand, I have seen a family friend support our client in every way possible. So being his father is not a criterium to know his status. But if he is someone you can trust, then go ahead. Just bear it in mind that whatever decision you take must be in the interest of the child. Does he want his father to know his status or not? Please don't do anything that will cause him more pain than he already has. #mythots
Re: Should We Tell His Father About His HIV Status? by Arsheda(m): 10:39am On Feb 11, 2015
@Olayinkaoj has a point. It's not necessary that the father is +ve but even if he is and doesnt know. it's best you and your family let him know about the boy's health status and let the father get tested in order to preserve their life span. People live with the Virus for years and there's no need to be ashamed of it. Just save time by arranging how to break the news to his father on time. Regardless of his reaction, he deserves to know because his life is in your hands.
Re: Should We Tell His Father About His HIV Status? by OXCUBA: 10:49am On Feb 11, 2015
THIS STORY IS COOKED AND UNDONE ......... IS THE MAN NOT THE BIOLOGICAL FATHER OF THE BOY ? ..... THE MAN SUPPOSE TO BE AN HIV PATIENT TOO .....ABI FOR 10 YEARS .. HIM NEVER Any symptom OF the virus .... or maybe the both parties knew thier statues and are pretending to each other.
Re: Should We Tell His Father About His HIV Status? by Nobody: 11:00am On Feb 11, 2015
MTN 1gig plan for 1200.

Contact - 07062027524. Sms/ whatsapp only.

Don't allow ur smartphone nd laptops to
Smarter than you.

Am an sme data share merchant. Am a risk taker,I will take the risk of sending ur desired data while u send me a 1200 airtime on confirmtion.
D truth is this, non of the people u see advertising 1gig for 1k sells at that price. D story u get is d promo has just ended nd even if u get it, it comes with less than 28days validity after hours of wait.

Everyday I resolve issues involving some sme data sellers nd their customers.

I operate just like mtn extra time service were u borrow nd payback.

Put me to any test even if u eventually dont av in mind of buying, u will be very convinced of my honesty.

Its risky for me but let me take the risk.

Check my signature.
Re: Should We Tell His Father About His HIV Status? by LordReed(m): 11:04am On Feb 11, 2015
The father should know, its his responsibility whether he acknowledges it or not.
Re: Should We Tell His Father About His HIV Status? by Nobody: 11:06am On Feb 11, 2015
I really do feel for the youngboy,so sd life,see what the parents fornication has caused.
KAYCEEJUNIOR:
Just dey pity the young man.
Many issues runing at the background of our lives that we don't seems to know, just imagine how diverstated my life will be when someone walk up to me and tells me that my mum ain't my real mom.
oya just imagine at a very tender age, lost your mum, distant father and a HIV to beacon with......traumatic and stigmatic.
Re: Should We Tell His Father About His HIV Status? by Nobody: 11:08am On Feb 11, 2015
It could be since the father dnt marry the mum,then the mum assume single parenthood and had another affair after birth which made her positive then breastfed..
OXCUBA:
THIS STORY IS COOKED AND UNDONE ......... IS THE MAN NOT TYE BIOLOGICAL FATHER OF THE BOY ? ..... THE MAN SUPPOSE TO BE AN HIV PATIENT TOO .....ABI FOR 10 YEARS .. HIM NEVER A symptom OF the virus .... or maybe the both parties knew thier statues and are pretending to each other.
Re: Should We Tell His Father About His HIV Status? by Nobody: 11:09am On Feb 11, 2015
Why is the boy on HIV meds? I didn't see where it said he is HIV positive.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Inter-tribal Marriages,....... How Did It Turn Out For You / Please Nairalanders I Need Mature Advice / Adorable Reaction Of An Old Woman To Her Grandson’s New Car (Video )

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.