Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,861 members, 7,817,543 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:05 PM

The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory - Agriculture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory (41482 Views)

Profitability Of Broilers & Layers Production. / Pilot Poultry Biz Project(a Case Study On The Profitability Of Raising Broilers) / Ugwu Farming//best Practices And Profitability ? Please Contribute (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by Pavore9: 6:59pm On Feb 22, 2015
jethro2:

Please can you assist with the purchase of some vegetable seed in Kenya?
l can help but sending things down to Nigeria is the issue, if u have anyone visiting Kenya soonest, do let me know, so we arrange.
Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by Pavore9: 7:04pm On Feb 22, 2015
@stagger, l follow your drift, we are so into the "herd mentality sydrome".
Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by amarawa: 7:35pm On Feb 22, 2015
...but another flip side of the story, as I was told by a farmer who is also finding it hard to sell his cassava, is that people who will plant cassava this year will enjoy better price for their harvest because many people will not plant this year because of the low profit. so hopeful by this time next year it will be profitable.
I had such an experience in 2011, when people were making millions from buying and selling ginger, by the following year the price dropped because of glut. I lost 1m in that biz.

so Jethro, instead of us focusing on the low prices of cassava, I think we should be brainstorming on the way out like turning it into chips and bagging it. or any other low cost processing options.

4 Likes

Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by Fhemmmy: 8:36pm On Feb 22, 2015
Lesgupnigeria:

Yes, farmers needs to know that they need to change their strategy to make profit.

You can not use one person result to judge cassava profitability in nigeria.

Many are making money, you can't be using the old idea to achieve result.

I can post and give you the direct link.of.people and nairalanders.that.made money from cassava that i manage their farm for last year.

We also need to look.beyond cassava and talk of agribusiness generally because cassava is not the only crop we plant in nigeria

If you don't use the right strategy, you might not make profit in other crops as well.

As an experienced and expert in cucumber plantation, Would you tell me that all the farmers that cultivate cucumber are making profit?
Its absolutely No

Whether you venture into cucumber,tomato,plantain,watermelon or cassava and and you didnot do it the right way, Low profit or loss is knocking at your door.

Making profit or loss boils down to doing the market research,doing it differentlt from other does it, develop good business relationship with reliable buyers etc

I personally think if you are able to do this, it will clear a lot of doubts and help all the novice to know more about how to make money from cassava farming. ... of course with permission from the farmers...... I am still following you too to learn.... but wanna make sure I dont get burnt in the cassava venture before I do, so would to verify all verifiableS

3 Likes

Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by Lesgupnigeria(m): 9:52pm On Feb 22, 2015
Fhemmmy:

I personally think if you are able to do this, it will clear a lot of doubts and help all the novice to know more about how to make money from cassava farming. ... of course with permission from the farmers...... I am still following you too to learn.... but wanna make sure I dont get burnt in the cassava venture before I do, so would to verify all verifiableS
I have the intention of.doing that,thats why i put it here.
In due time,i will do that.
i will inform them before i.do it or if i can be able to convince them to.post it themselves.

Although i posted some cassava transactions i made some months ago when i was accused of not engaging in any cassava transactions.

Thats has not actually convince some people that cassava is profitable.

Even if i post hundred of thousand of evidences here, that might not still guaranteed that you will make good profit if not done the way it should.
Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by jethro2: 10:13pm On Feb 22, 2015
Pavore9:
l can help but sending things down to Nigeria is the issue, if u have anyone visiting Kenya soonest, do let me know, so we arrange.
Thank you so much. I will work around that.
Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by stagger: 10:14pm On Feb 22, 2015
My experiences in life has shown me that the majority of people will continue to be naysayers. That is why the 6 owners of Wal-Mart are richer than 42% of American families combined.

The principle of the pyramid must be maintained. Very few on top, very many below. That is because the few people take the paths less travelled by, while those below are not ambitious and never try to do things differently.

2 Likes

Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by Fhemmmy: 10:17pm On Feb 22, 2015
Lesgupnigeria:

I have the intention of.doing that,thats why i put it here.
In due time,i will do that.
i will inform them before i.do it or if i can be able to convince them to.post it themselves.

Although i posted some cassava transactions i made some months ago when i was accused of not engaging in any cassava transactions.

Thats has not actually convince some people that cassava is profitable.

Even if i post hundred of thousand of evidences here, that might not still guaranteed that you will make good profit if not done the way it should.

Thanks, will be looking forward to that..l
Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by ADONRI(m): 10:46pm On Feb 22, 2015
@Lesgupnigeria, Its amazing how you are still adamant on the fact fact that Cassava farming if profitable, regardless of the experience most of us gave here on failing....please I and most of us here would appreciate if you can respond to @Jethro2 list of the things that can help us analyse the market below, in that way we can see how we can arrive at profit....Thanks in anticipation.

Facts and Figures

1. I planted so so amount of cassava on so ao hectares of land.
2. I harvested after so so months and from an hectare i got so so quantity
3. I supplied to so so company at the rate of so so
4. My cost of production is ------------
5. My sales after harvesting is -------------
6. Transport cost for 3 tones from Saki to Lagos is ..........
7. The yield for my variety is .............
8. Cost of loading ................

4 Likes

Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by stagger: 11:36pm On Feb 22, 2015
ADONRI:
@Lesgupnigeria, Its amazing how you are still adamant on the fact fact that Cassava farming if profitable, regardless of the experience most of us gave here on failing....please I and most of us here would appreciate if you can respond to @Jethro2 list of the things that can help us analyse the market below, in that way we can see how we can arrive at profit....Thanks in anticipation.

Facts and Figures

1. I planted so so amount of cassava on so ao hectares of land.
2. I harvested after so so months and from an hectare i got so so quantity
3. I supplied to so so company at the rate of so so
4. My cost of production is ------------
5. My sales after harvesting is -------------
6. Transport cost for 3 tones from Saki to Lagos is ..........
7. The yield for my variety is .............
8. Cost of loading ................

My friend, instead of wasting time on another person's story, why not take some of your own money and take the risk of developing your own unique strategy for profiting from cassava? Is Saki the only place cassava is planted in this country, or are gari and lafun only eaten in Lagos? Take your own risk and have a story to tell.

A glass can be half full or half empty. Even if he posts everything some people will not be convinced.
Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by jethro2: 11:59pm On Feb 22, 2015
stagger:

My friend, instead of wasting time on another person's story, why not take some of your own money and take the risk of developing your own unique strategy for profiting from cassava? Is Saki the only place cassava is planted in this country, or are gari and lafun only eaten in Lagos? Take your own risk and have a story to tell.
A glass can be half full or half empty. Even if he posts everything some people will not be convinced.
We are all on the thread to learn. please give the guy some breathing space. Its not about saki or lagos i believe.
There is a saying that we should learn from other peoples experience and i still believe there is freedom of opinion and writing online.
Thank you

3 Likes

Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by Ibrahym(m): 9:07am On Feb 23, 2015
Good thread. I have learnt a lot from the contributions so far.

Jethro, from your OP, you ventured into the business on the premise that cassava cost per tonne was about N18,000.
But the rates in your area is like N5,000 to say N10,000 per tonne depending on the variety, quality, etc

Would you say:
(a) The initial forecast of N18,000 was just wrong

(b) It was reasonable, but you did not factor that over-supply of Cassava in recent times forced a reduction in price

(c) It was reasonable, but you did not factor that practices of buyers delaying purchase now frustrates sellers to reduce prices
(vice versa, this is common in the rice value chain as paddy rice sellers try to hoard and delay sales to when there is scarcity in the market).

(d) It was reasonable, but you did not factor that selling price depends (i) the seller's cassava quality and bargaining power plus (ii) the type of buyer and what they use cassava for, e.g. garri, starch, etc.

Generally, I think for anyone going into business, you have to carry out thorough research based on your location, ensuring you have potential off-takers (buyers) and a fall back plan.

Ultimately, as others have also said, one will also have to invest in the Cassava value chain, i.e. start processing into starch, gari, ethanol, etc
Only then can you be the master of your own game and business.

I understand it is capital intensive, but one must find a way: either by starting small, getting loans, using cooperative, etc.

1 Like

Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by Ibrahym(m): 9:24am On Feb 23, 2015
stagger:
However, the export market is an elite market. If you cannot speak Hausa or you have no Hausa-speaking partner to break into this market for you, sorry!

So what is the point I am making here?

Don't just blunder into a business without getting access to market research. Companies spend a lot of money on market research because that is what separates the profitable ones from the losers.

Cassava is profitable. You just have to know where the profits really are.

Just read this. On point!
Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by Lesgupnigeria(m): 2:17pm On Feb 23, 2015
@ADONRI
How i wish you have a learning mind to grasp all what have been said here.

I am talking of doing your business differently to.achieve result,you are talking of analysing.cost of production and transportation in Saki

Will cost analysis tell you how to make profit?

As a follower of jethro,i think you.should have ask her to.give you the facts and figures because she farm there.
Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by ADONRI(m): 9:24pm On Feb 23, 2015
Lesgupnigeria:
@ADONRI
How i wish you have a learning mind to grasp all what have been said here.

I am talking of doing your business differently to.achieve result,you are talking of analysing.cost of production and transportation in Saki

Will cost analysis tell you how to make profit?

As a follower of jethro,i think you.should have ask her to.give you the facts and figures because she farm there.

Well it is clear you are not here for a positive contribution to this thread or maybe you are hoarding information so that you can be consulted to get your 20% ROI, I am a follower of Jethro2 thread because of its free and helpful content which is to teach people what you know so they can learn from it and be inspired to imitate or emulate your success.

4 Likes

Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by stagger: 10:53pm On Feb 23, 2015
ADONRI:

Well it is clear you are not here for a positive contribution to this thread or maybe you are hoarding information so that you can be consulted to get your 20% ROI, I am a follower of Jethro2 thread because of its free and helpful content which is to teach people what you know so they can learn from it and be inspired to imitate or emulate your success.

No businessman will give away his trade secrets. I would rather urge you to conduct your own independent research as well. I know how many times I have spoken to the guys at the cassava division of IITA asking for certain information which they were hoarding, only for me to get even better information from elsewhere.

The fact we have established is that cassava processing pays more than selling raw tubers. That should be the direction we are headed, not trying to find out how Legsupnigeria is making money from selling his raw tubers. I don't know how he does it and personally I am not bothered about it because the market space is huge for other processed products of cassava. I do not know why so many of you here are just fixated on selling raw tubers and finding out how one person is doing it when the general consensus is that you stand to make more money processing cassava than selling raw tubers.

Personally I am already looking for a place to setup my processing factory. I have drawn up a three year plan which will see me sourcing tubers 100% in year 1 while developing my farm, then using 60% external cassava and 40% my own cassava in year 2, and finally using my own cassava 90% by year three. I am not projecting to make any profit in the first two years because I will reinvest my returns in year 1 and 2 on capacity building.

I am trying to decide on my market. I will be doing gari and cassava flour. But my market is what I am deciding on, because that will determine where I setup my factory and farm. I want to be close to the railway system being built currently. People need to be thinking along this line as well.

4 Likes

Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by jethro2: 11:41pm On Feb 23, 2015
Ibrahym:
Good thread. I have learnt a lot from the contributions so far.
Jethro, from your OP, you ventured into the business on the premise that cassava cost per tonne was about N18,000.
But the rates in your area is like N5,000 to say N10,000 per tonne depending on the variety, quality, etc
Would you say:
(a) The initial forecast of N18,000 was just wrong
(b) It was reasonable, but you did not factor that over-supply of Cassava in recent times forced a reduction in price
(c) It was reasonable, but you did not factor that practices of buyers delaying purchase now frustrates sellers to reduce prices
(vice versa, this is common in the rice value chain as paddy rice sellers try to hoard and delay sales to when there is scarcity in the market).
(d) It was reasonable, but you did not factor that selling price depends (i) the seller's cassava quality and bargaining power plus (ii) the type of buyer and what they use cassava for, e.g. garri, starch, etc.
Generally, I think for anyone going into business, you have to carry out thorough research based on your location, ensuring you have potential off-takers (buyers) and a fall back plan.
Ultimately, as others have also said, one will also have to invest in the Cassava value chain, i.e. start processing into starch, gari, ethanol, etc
Only then can you be the master of your own game and business.
I understand it is capital intensive, but one must find a way: either by starting small, getting loans, using cooperative, etc.
I am so very sure all your itemised questions has been attended to on the forum.
And I am glad you arrive at a logical conclusion.
Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by jethro2: 11:44pm On Feb 23, 2015
amarawa:
...but another flip side of the story, as I was told by a farmer who is also finding it hard to sell his cassava, is that people who will plant cassava this year will enjoy better price for their harvest because many people will not plant this year because of the low profit. so hopeful by this time next year it will be profitable.
I had such an experience in 2011, when people were making millions from buying and selling ginger, by the following year the price dropped because of glut. I lost 1m in that biz.
so Jethro, instead of us focusing on the low prices of cassava, I think we should be brainstorming on the way out like turning it into chips and bagging it. or any other low cost processing options.
Believe me or not, planting cassava is like gambling. I would rather invest in a sure prospect than gambling away my hard earned money.
Not all of us has the flare for the game

2 Likes

Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by jethro2: 12:00am On Feb 24, 2015
stagger:

No businessman will give away his trade secrets.
The fact we have established is that cassava processing pays more than selling raw tubers. That should be the direction we are headed, not trying to find out how Legsupnigeria is making money from selling his raw tubers. I don't know how he does it and personally I am not bothered about it because the market space is huge for other processed products of cassava. I do not know why so many of you here are just fixated on selling raw tubers and finding out how one person is doing it when the general consensus is that you stand to make more money processing cassava than selling raw tubers.
When professional talks, they back it up with fact and figures. The fixation comes from lesgupnigeria claiming to have made N1,000,000 from 5 hectares of cassava that he planted.
He also made it a point on several occasion revering to people that has contrary opinion as failures hence the need for the people demanding for truth.
Every one except lesgupnigeria claims cassava planting and selling is profitable.
Don't you think we are not asking for too much?
We all know the truth hence we will let the sleeping dogs lie.

2 Likes

Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by securi: 5:49am On Feb 24, 2015
Dear sis, pls leave this issue, you have done well by alerting anyonw considering cassava to be careful to avoid regret later.pls end it that way.if he is not ready to disclose further info no one can force him. Let him do his things while you do yours, you have done the good work of warning ppl to look well before they leep.God bless you.
jethro2:

When professional talks, they back it up with fact and figures. The fixation comes from lesgupnigeria claiming to have made N1,000,000 from 5 hectares of cassava that he planted.
He also made it a point on several occasion revering to people that has contrary opinion as failures hence the need for the people demanding for truth.
Every one except lesgupnigeria claims cassava planting and selling is profitable.

6 Likes

Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by samuel25(m): 8:33am On Feb 24, 2015
@Jethro2. How many tons will you regard the measuring van (jalukere) in your area please. Is it the a ton or more than.
Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by Lesgupnigeria(m): 8:51am On Feb 24, 2015
jethro2:

A good mind should have been.able to deduce some facts from what i wrote when jasper ask some question on the third page of this thread.
Its unfortunate that you don't still want to.learn.
if you are pessimistic about cassava, why can't you venture into another business?

People who don't enjoy cultivating vegetables,divert into.casava and other crops and vice versa.
so why disturb yourself about cassava?

And if i may ask how many years experience do.you have in.marketing cassava?

There is no large scale cassava processing company in south west that i have not sold cassava to in one time or the other, so i can tell you the best scenarios to deal with them to make good profit and otherwise.

I am very sure if you are the only person that planted cassava, you will still complain that it is not profitable because i can't fathom the business sense of you cultivating cassava in the remote Saki and expect to sell in Lagos when its not a direct-consumers produce.

I have never at any point in time label anybody a failure,i have made mistakes and have openly admit it,so other people as well but the problem is never learning from your mustake and change your strategy.
You cant keep doing the same thing and expect different result.

I have helped a lot of people on my thread and i am glad about that and i am willing to help as many people as well.

You said cassava is not profitable,that i didnot do.any cassava transaction,i.showed you.

You said the GES e-wallet is a propanganda,i posted true evidences of that again

You said federal government is not giving out loans to farmers,i again posted the SMS message i.got through Bank Of Agriculture for the loan disbursed to me

You are indeed a doubting thomas.

2 Likes

Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by stagger: 9:21am On Feb 24, 2015
I have seen situations where banks have declared billions in profit and some others have made loss in the same country. So does it mean banking business is profitable? Yes it is, because some make profit. Does it mean bank business is unprofitable? It can be, because some make loss.

The difference between profit and loss is the business model. There is an entire value chain when it comes to cassava. If a component of the chain is not right, everything will turn out wrong. It is the responsibility of business owners to make it work. I have once run a business that made losses for three years. We sat down as a management team, and changed the business model and we have been making profit ever since; even expanded internationally.

We could have said the business was not a good one and closed shop permanently. But I had seen foreign companies doing the same business and making money, and some Nigerian companies also doing the same business and making money. So why not mine?

For me, no processing, no cassava business for me.

4 Likes

Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by jethro2: 9:36am On Feb 24, 2015
securi:
Dear sis, pls leave this issue, you have done well by alerting anyonw considering cassava to be careful to avoid regret later.pls end it that way.if he is not ready to disclose further info no one can force him. Let him do his things while you do yours, you have done the good work of warning ppl to look well before they leep.God bless
you.
Thank you so much sir.
As much as i tried to avoid lesgupnigeria and stagger thread, post or comments, the two always want to force it down my throat to accept their unproven theory.
But like you advice sir. henceforth i remain mute to whatever they ve got to write.
Let the wise be warned.
Thank you sir

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by jethro2: 9:40am On Feb 24, 2015
samuel25:
@Jethro2. How many tons will you regard the measuring van (jalukere) in your area please. Is it the a ton or more than.
The Jalukere in my side is 2.8tonnes. 12 of it do measure 32tonnes at processing factories.
But in Oyo town area, their jalukere do measure 3 tonnes. 10 of their Jalukere weight the same as ours
Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by stagger: 9:57am On Feb 24, 2015
jethro2:

Thank you so much sir.
As much as i tried to avoid lesgupnigeria and stagger thread, post or comments, the two always want to force it down my throat to accept their unproven theory.
But like you advice sir. henceforth i remain mute to whatever they ve got to write.
Let the wise be warned.
Thank you sir

Must you be personal in your attacks? Last I checked there were more than 6,130 views on this thread. There are others who are being helped by the engagement here, being challenged to go and find out things for themselves. If Jethro2 is stuck with idea A, there are people who want to get try idea B. If Stagger has idea C, there are those who want to stick with idea A or idea B. You present your case, I present mine, another person presents his or hers, and the rest who want to learn something here will pick what they want and move on.

Nobody is forcing anything down your throat. You are just childish by making personal attacks. I told you before: stop thinking with your hormones. Save that for your husband at home not here.

I went to a primary school when Agric Science was taught practically and every student had 3 farm ridge allocated to them as far back as 1980/1981. I had a Professor of Agric as my neighbour as at 1984. Planted a variety of foodstuff including plantain, oil palm, pineapple, etc. Even maize and beans. I have fried gari in my backyard with my two hands, white and yellow. Attended a few agric seminars. I am even scheduled to attend a Food Safety seminar in University of Ghent from September to December 21st, strictly for agro processors.

I am investing in building sustainable agribusiness using modern methods. Those who want to be stuck with the ideas of the ice age can go ahead. Those who want to move with the rest of the world can do so.

5 Likes

Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by jethro2: 12:09pm On Feb 24, 2015
stagger:

I went to a primary school when Agric Science was taught practically and every student had 3 farm ridge allocated to them as far back as 1980/1981.
Hmnnnnnnnnnnnn

1 Like

Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by jethro2: 12:11pm On Feb 24, 2015
stagger:
I had a Professor of Agric as my neighbour as at 1984. Planted a variety of foodstuff including plantain, oil palm, pineapple, etc. Even maize and beans. I have fried gari in my backyard with my two hands, white and yellow.
Hmnnnnnnnmnn. Again

1 Like

Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by jethro2: 12:17pm On Feb 24, 2015
stagger:

Nobody is forcing anything down your throat. You are just childish by making personal attacks. I told you before: stop thinking with your hormones. Save that for your husband at home not here.
Hmnnnnnnnnnnnn. Again and again
Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by jethro2: 12:21pm On Feb 24, 2015
stagger:

I am even scheduled to attend a Food Safety seminar in University of Ghent from September to December 21st, strictly for agro processors.
Hmnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnmnnnnnnn
Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by stagger: 12:25pm On Feb 24, 2015
jethro2:

Hmnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnmnnnnnnn

Leave that your Saki and travel a bit so u get exposed. Your world view is highly myopic.

3 Likes

Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by jethro2: 12:26pm On Feb 24, 2015
stagger:

Leave that your Saki and travel a bit so u get exposed. Your world view is highly myopic.
Hmnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Hmnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Willie Obiano Starts Rice Production & Processing In Anambra State(pics / When Does A Turkey Start Laying? / Adamix Farms

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.