Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,500 members, 7,823,167 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:33 AM

When Does A Turkey Start Laying? - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / When Does A Turkey Start Laying? (41719 Views)

Can Snails Start Laying Eggs At 4 Months Old? (our Success Story) / Requirements For Starting A Turkey Business And Can I Meet Up Christmas Sales? / How Many Months Does It Take For Poultry Hens To Start Laying,please? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

When Does A Turkey Start Laying? by rastamouse: 1:30pm On Oct 14, 2015
One of the biggest questions new turkey farmers often ask me is when to expect the first egg. Newbies are anxious to a fault anticipating the arrival of the fragile solid white oval. There are signs that may suggest that your eggs are on the way. However, this article is not so much on the signs but rather the time.

Turkeys are fowls and as such their reproductive systems must be fully developed before they can lay. Laying is the final stage of sexual maturity in turkeys. The elegant creatures are good layers when they are fed. Let us examine when the turkey will start laying those precious eggs.

Unlike some birds, turkeys will lay eggs even if there are no male turkeys around. Toms, as male turkeys are known, are however required for the eggs to fertilize. No egg can hatch without fertilization. Any egg laid without fertilization will not be viable and cannot hatch!

On the average, turkeys start laying at the age of 7 months. They may lay between 12 and 16 eggs per clutch after which they will go broody. Even if the eggs have been removed, some turkeys will visit where they laid the eggs and brood.

From my experience, turkey hens start laying approximately two weeks after coming on heat. When the hen is on heat they readily offer themselves to the toms and mating takes place several times in the day. When this takes place, the first eggs should be expected about fortnight later.

Have a great day!

https://turkeyview..com/2015/10/when-does-turkey-start-laying.html

3 Likes

Re: When Does A Turkey Start Laying? by GGfadar(m): 7:11am On Oct 15, 2015
Very very correct.......

Organic turkey farming is best for me......

Very low fat meat production................
Re: When Does A Turkey Start Laying? by rastamouse: 4:58am On Oct 16, 2015
GGfadar:
Very very correct.......

Organic turkey farming is best for me......

Very low fat meat production................

Organic is the way to go @Ggfadda.

You are right
Re: When Does A Turkey Start Laying? by jumper524(m): 7:22am On Nov 10, 2016
rastamouse:

https://turkeyview..com/2015/10/when-does-turkey-start-laying.html
pls how long does it takes for turkey eggs to hatch
Re: When Does A Turkey Start Laying? by Chibenze(m): 11:21am On Nov 16, 2016
jumper524:
pls how long does it takes for turkey eggs to hatch
28 days
Re: When Does A Turkey Start Laying? by LKO(m): 6:31pm On Oct 06, 2017
Chibenze:

28 days

Please how many days does it take a native hen to hatch its eggs? I m a newbie in this field, my native hen has been covering its eggs for over 30 days now, it has refused to hatch the eggs, this is the first time the hen is laying eggs. It appear very weak and lean, staggers when it walks. I m worried please.
Re: When Does A Turkey Start Laying? by Chibenze(m): 7:58pm On Oct 06, 2017
LKO:

Please how many days does it take a native hen to hatch its eggs? I m a newbie in this field, my native hen has been covering its eggs for over 30 days now, it has refused to hatch the eggs, this is the first time the hen is laying eggs. It appear very weak and lean, staggers when it walks. I m worried please.
native hen (fowl) is 21days max while turkey is 28days. guess the egg where not fertile or it has spoil. please remove the eggs and free the hen so it will not die because it take a lot of energy to incubate an egg.
pls remove them immediately
Re: When Does A Turkey Start Laying? by LKO(m): 10:01pm On Oct 06, 2017
Chibenze:

native hen (fowl) is 21days max while turkey is 28days. guess the egg where not fertile or it has spoil. please remove the eggs and free the hen so it will not die because it take a lot of energy to incubate an egg.
pls remove them immediately

Thank you so much. I m sad now. What could have spoilt the eggs? O no!
Re: When Does A Turkey Start Laying? by Chibenze(m): 1:55am On Oct 07, 2017
LKO:

Thank you so much. I m sad now. What could have spoilt the eggs? O no!
sorry about ur loose... maybe water or the egg was not fertile.
Re: When Does A Turkey Start Laying? by LKO(m): 6:28am On Oct 07, 2017
Chibenze:

sorry about ur loose... maybe water or the egg was not fertile.

I have discarded all six of them this morning. Water may not b the cause, the hen lay the eggs in the uncompleted room in my compound (d room is roofed). My other hen has started covering her eggs (12). I hope this will not go the same way.

Is it true that once u touch an egg, the hen would not hatch it again? Thank u sir.
Re: When Does A Turkey Start Laying? by Chibenze(m): 8:14am On Oct 07, 2017
LKO:

I have discarded all six of them this morning. Water may not b the cause, the hen lay the eggs in the uncompleted room in my compound (d room is roofed). My other hen has started covering her eggs (12). I hope this will not go the same way.

Is it true that once u touch an egg, the hen would not hatch it again? Thank u sir.
do you have male around that cross ur hen? if no they will not hatch the eggs bcoz it will not be fertile.

that is not true touching the egg will not stop it from hatching except the egg is not fertile or it is crack.
note that the hen doesn't hatch any egg with her mouth as many believe, it only give d eggs heat by covering it once it is time they will hatch on their own. so be properly guided

1 Like

Re: When Does A Turkey Start Laying? by LKO(m): 8:22am On Oct 07, 2017
Chibenze:

do you have male around that cross ur hen? if no they will not hatch the eggs bcoz it will not be fertile.

that is not true touching the egg will not stop it from hatching except the egg is not fertile or it is crack.
note that the hen doesn't hatch any egg with her mouth as many believe, it only give d eggs heat by covering it once it is time they will hatch on their own. so be properly guided

I have one rugged native cock that keeps tormenting the two hen. (Lol). I bought three of them two months ago for domestic keep, I b JJC for this field o.

This ur second comment is an eye opener, thank u. People were telling me that once the eggs are touched, the hen wonth hatch them.

But if the male dont cross them, they cant lay na, why are u saying the eggs are not fertile?
Re: When Does A Turkey Start Laying? by Chibenze(m): 8:54am On Oct 07, 2017
LKO:

I have one rugged native cock that keeps tormenting the two hen. (Lol). I bought three of them two months ago for domestic keep, I b JJC for this field o.

This ur second comment is an eye opener, thank u. People were telling me that once the eggs are touched, the hen wonth hatch them.

But if the male dont cross them, they cant lay na, why are u saying the eggs are not fertile?
without a male a hen can lay eggs the presence of the male is to make d eggs fertile. plz note this

3 Likes

Re: When Does A Turkey Start Laying? by LKO(m): 9:37am On Oct 07, 2017
Chibenze:

without a male a hen can lay eggs the presence of the male is to make d eggs fertile. plz note this

Thank u for ur explanation.

Hope this my hen would recover in few days time? She is eating well but looks a little weak. I discarded all the eggs dis morning. Or does she needs medication? Sorry for disturbing u.

1 Like

Re: When Does A Turkey Start Laying? by Chibenze(m): 9:46am On Oct 07, 2017
LKO:

Thank u for ur explanation.

Hope this my hen would recover in few days time? She is eating well but looks a little weak. I discarded all the eggs dis morning. Or does she needs medication? Sorry for disturbing u.
she will recover just feed her well that's all
Re: When Does A Turkey Start Laying? by LKO(m): 9:53am On Oct 07, 2017
Chibenze:

Thank u. God bless.

1 Like

Re: When Does A Turkey Start Laying? by osamovic(m): 5:13pm On Nov 02, 2017
My turkey have being laying already without mating but now i just get a male mating her Wen will d egg be fertilized because she's laying already b4 mating
Re: When Does A Turkey Start Laying? by LKO(m): 11:11pm On Dec 16, 2017
Chibenze:

My teacher I m back o. My sick hen has since recovered, I just discovered she has layed eight eggs in the uncompleted room in my compound and has started covering the eggs since Wednesday. My fear is that, pussy cat may storm that room at night and kill her, cats usually roam at night from compound to compound in my area. I want to move the hen and the eggs to a safer place. I m scared if that movement would spoil the eggs. Please I need your expert opinion. Thank you sir.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: When Does A Turkey Start Laying? by Chibenze(m): 1:51pm On Dec 17, 2017
LKO:

My teacher I m back o. My sick hen has since recovered, I just discovered she has layed eight eggs in the uncompleted room in my compound and has started covering the eggs since Wednesday. My fear is that, pussy cat may storm that room at night and kill her, cats usually roam at night from compound to compound in my area. I want to move the hen and the eggs to a safer place. I m scared if that movement would spoil the eggs. Please I need your expert opinion. Thank you sir.
the cat will not harm her. just allow her
Re: When Does A Turkey Start Laying? by LKO(m): 1:58pm On Dec 17, 2017
Chibenze:
the cat will not harm her. just allow her
Cat killed five of my chicks in that same room three weeks ago.
Re: When Does A Turkey Start Laying? by Chibenze(m): 2:02pm On Dec 17, 2017
LKO:

Cat killed five of my chicks in that same room three weeks ago.
really... chicks? they are still small guess that was the reason it killed them or where they adult?

also it maybe a rat that kill ur chicks
Re: When Does A Turkey Start Laying? by LKO(m): 2:13pm On Dec 17, 2017
Chibenze:

really... chicks? they are still small guess that was the reason it killed them or where they adult?

also it maybe a rat that kill ur chicks

It's a cat, when I heard the hen shouting that late night, I hurriedly open my door and I saw the cat speedily dived out of the room. The chicks were three weeks old then. My hen covering eggs in that same room is making me feel worried.
Re: When Does A Turkey Start Laying? by gabolak(m): 3:21pm On Dec 17, 2017
rastamouse:

You are right

please can you shed more light on this organic turkey rearing stuff?

my turkey just stopped laying abruptly. they showed some signs of sickness & I treated them, but they have refused to come back to their laying "form".
please I have placed them on multivitamins but no improvement yet. what else can I do to aid their performance plz.
Re: When Does A Turkey Start Laying? by gabolak(m): 3:22pm On Dec 17, 2017
rastamouse:

You are right

please can you shed more light on this organic turkey rearing stuff?

my turkey just stopped laying abruptly. they showed some signs of sickness & I treated them, but they have refused to come back to their laying "form".
please I have placed them on multivitamins but no improvement yet. what else can I do to aid their performance plz?
Re: When Does A Turkey Start Laying? by Chibenze(m): 4:20pm On Dec 17, 2017
LKO:

It's a cat, when I heard the hen shouting that late night, I hurriedly open my door and I saw the cat speedily dived out of the room. The chicks were three weeks old then. My hen covering eggs in that same room is making me feel worried.
guess they were still young that is why. try to block the window....removing the hen to another location is a risk (she may not cover the egg).leave her in the room nothing will happen to her....if you are still scared better block the Windows/hole the cat use in entering the room and u can also buy a trap to cat/kill the cat. good luck

1 Like

Re: When Does A Turkey Start Laying? by LKO(m): 5:23pm On Dec 17, 2017
Chibenze:
guess they were still young that is why. try to block the window....removing the hen to another location is a risk (she may not cover the egg).leave her in the room nothing will happen to her....if you are still scared better block the Windows/hole the cat use in entering the room and u can also buy a trap to cat/kill the cat. good luck

Thank you so much.
Re: When Does A Turkey Start Laying? by Tan45: 10:11am On Oct 14, 2018
Please I am a new turkey rearer and I need some basic knowledge in order to achieve my aim or reproduction of turkeys. I bought three (3) turkeys around April, two females n one male but the male died while growing up. I was able to take good care of the other two females and they have grown now. I have to go buy another grown male just ti help them with fertilization. This is the females 6th months and they haven't started laying eggs and they aren't offering themselves to the male yet. Am such in haste to see them lay eggs so I decided to offer them to the male myself, have been doing this for the last 1week. Pls guide me if I should continue with the act or I should stop. Thanks

1 Like

Re: When Does A Turkey Start Laying? by lahify(m): 7:55pm On Oct 14, 2018
they should start laying anytime soon, give them vitamins with lots of feeds
Re: When Does A Turkey Start Laying? by Chibenze(m): 11:11am On Oct 18, 2018
Tan45:
Please I am a new turkey rearer and I need some basic knowledge in order to achieve my aim or reproduction of turkeys. I bought three (3) turkeys around April, two females n one male but the male died while growing up. I was able to take good care of the other two females and they have grown now. I have to go buy another grown male just ti help them with fertilization. This is the females 6th months and they haven't started laying eggs and they aren't offering themselves to the male yet. Am such in haste to see them lay eggs so I decided to offer them to the male myself, have been doing this for the last 1week. Pls guide me if I should continue with the act or I should stop. Thanks
not bad if you force mate but allow 7months plus, they should start laying. 6months is too early... Patient bro
Re: When Does A Turkey Start Laying? by Tan45: 5:39pm On Oct 21, 2018
Chibenze:
not bad if you force mate but allow 7months plus, they should start laying. 6months is too early... Patient bro

OK bro.thanks for advice, will stick to that. Besides what are the signs to show the turken hens are in heat and ready to mate?
Re: When Does A Turkey Start Laying? by Chibenze(m): 8:09pm On Oct 21, 2018
Tan45:

OK bro.thanks for advice, will stick to that. Besides what are the signs to show the turken hens are in heat and ready to mate?
they will start making some sound just like local hen and once they see u the will bend down on the floor (ready to mate)
Re: When Does A Turkey Start Laying? by Slimzitee(m): 8:19pm On Oct 21, 2018
plz can turkey hatch themselves.. I have 5 turkeys(2 males,3 females). and now they are laying even though I was pack some eggs away from them thinking they can't hatch but they continued laying themselves...2 are actually laying

(1) (2) (Reply)

Bird I Caught This Morning In My Compound In Abia / Get Your Motorized Sprayer and Battery Sprayer From Us At affordable Price. / Our Ginger Farm In Kaduna South

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.