Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,340 members, 7,811,987 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:00 AM

Anyone Into Carrot Farming In The Southwest? - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Anyone Into Carrot Farming In The Southwest? (8016 Views)

Cabbage Grows Well In Southwest Nigeria . See Pictures / Carrot Farming.. From The South West.. / The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Anyone Into Carrot Farming In The Southwest? by Pavore9: 5:02pm On Feb 16, 2015
l am asking on behalf of a friend. lf you have a thriving carrot farm located in the southwest of the country, please do indicate.

1 Like

Re: Anyone Into Carrot Farming In The Southwest? by LajaLaba: 1:27am On Feb 17, 2015
Pavore9:
l am asking on behalf of a friend. lf you have a thriving carrot farm located in the southwest of the country, please do indicate.
Ok what about North east?
Re: Anyone Into Carrot Farming In The Southwest? by Pavore9: 3:46am On Feb 17, 2015
LajaLaba:
Ok what about North east?
The Northern region is a no-no in my friend's calculations.

1 Like

Re: Anyone Into Carrot Farming In The Southwest? by Soloxam(m): 6:42am On Feb 17, 2015
Yeah, I did a trial on carrot last year, it did well. Just last week I started another one, as at yesterday with the report I got from farm it sprouting out. Mean while I can give u contacts of farmers who dose it commercially here in south west.
Re: Anyone Into Carrot Farming In The Southwest? by Pavore9: 6:54am On Feb 17, 2015
@Soloxam, please do send me their contacts to koboideas@gmail.com (preferably their email addresses) Do you have the seeds of the Nantes variety in stock?
Re: Anyone Into Carrot Farming In The Southwest? by jasper7(m): 1:18pm On Feb 17, 2015
I tried carrot some few years back. failed woefully. they carrots were are small as my little finger altho they were extremely sweet. their small nature wasn't encouraging at all.
Re: Anyone Into Carrot Farming In The Southwest? by Pavore9: 1:30pm On Feb 17, 2015
@jasper7, l think the variety you planted was a factor. That is why am asking Soloxam if they have the seeds of the Nantes variety, it is sweet and long (up to 20cm), Some Kenyan farmers exports it to Europe alongside baby corn.
Re: Anyone Into Carrot Farming In The Southwest? by boluwajokosegun: 2:47pm On Feb 17, 2015
Can i supply u from Jos where we plant irish potatoes, strawbery & tomatoes.
How can i get that carrot seeds that is 20cm long, hpoe it is sweet ?
Good new we have acres of land for sale in ofada owode axis opposite the redeem christian church camp in Obafemi owode LGA of ogun state.
The lands are in same axis where a new private university is building right now. Very good for farming & good for hostels in future.
If interested call Gbenga on 08136550972 or 08182355047/whatApp.
Minimum purschase is 2 acres.
Re: Anyone Into Carrot Farming In The Southwest? by Pavore9: 4:27pm On Feb 17, 2015
boluwajokosegun:
Can i supply u from Jos where we plant irish potatoes, strawbery & tomatoes.
How can i get that carrot seeds that is 20cm long, hpoe it is sweet ?
Good new we have acres of land for sale in ofada owode axis opposite the redeem christian church camp in Obafemi owode LGA of ogun state.
The lands are in same axis where a new private university is building right now. Very good for farming & good for hostels in future.
If interested call Gbenga on 08136550972 or 08182355047/whatApp.
Minimum purschase is 2 acres.

Sorry, the Carrot farm should be located in the South west.

They are sweet and sold here by many seed companies just wanted to know if it is available in Nigeria. One of the seed companies selling it is Royal seeds (http://www.royalseed.biz)
Re: Anyone Into Carrot Farming In The Southwest? by rareman(m): 5:05pm On Feb 17, 2015
@ pavore9 I just sent you a mail. Hope to get a reply from you. I will also be interested in the carrot seed, my farm is in south west ofada precisely. Thank you
Re: Anyone Into Carrot Farming In The Southwest? by LajaLaba: 5:15pm On Feb 17, 2015
Pavore9:
The Northern region is a no-no in my friend's calculations.
God punish Boko

3 Likes

Re: Anyone Into Carrot Farming In The Southwest? by Pavore9: 5:31pm On Feb 17, 2015
rareman:
@ pavore9 I just sent you a mail. Hope to get a reply from you. I will also be interested in the carrot seed, my farm is in south west ofada precisely. Thank you
Check your mail.

1 Like

Re: Anyone Into Carrot Farming In The Southwest? by Pavore9: 5:33pm On Feb 17, 2015
LajaLaba:
God punish Boko

One has to be careful with his or her investments, making sure Boko boys don't mess up things!
Re: Anyone Into Carrot Farming In The Southwest? by LajaLaba: 5:44pm On Feb 17, 2015
Pavore9:

One has to be careful with his or her investments, making sure Boko boys don't mess up things!
Please do u know much about Tiger nuts?na that Boko thing no wan person go North o o
Re: Anyone Into Carrot Farming In The Southwest? by Pavore9: 5:58pm On Feb 17, 2015
LajaLaba:
Please do u know much about Tiger nuts?na that Boko thing no wan person go North o o

No l don.t.
Re: Anyone Into Carrot Farming In The Southwest? by Soloxam(m): 5:01am On Feb 18, 2015
Pavore9:
@Soloxam, please do send me their contacts to koboideas@gmail.com (preferably their email addresses) Do you have the seeds of the Nantes variety in stock?
@ Pavore9, I will send u the contact as soon as I get to my office, presently in a farm. The Nantes verity is presently out of stock, but hope to have it very soon.
Re: Anyone Into Carrot Farming In The Southwest? by Soloxam(m): 5:11am On Feb 18, 2015
jasper7:
I tried carrot some few years back. failed woefully. they carrots were are small as my little finger altho they were extremely sweet. their small nature wasn't encouraging at all.
@Jasper there are factors that makes ur carrot smaller, 1. is verity as mention by Pavore9, 2. spacing; if it is closely space u have very small one, the one I did last year, I notice the one I spaced well did well and big, the the once that were too close was very small and thinning. 3. is the soil must be very loss, carrot will penetrate well if the soil is loosen, also it require good amount of water at root elongated stage.........
Re: Anyone Into Carrot Farming In The Southwest? by Pavore9: 5:13am On Feb 18, 2015
Soloxam:
@ Pavore9, I will send u the contact as soon as I get to my office, presently in a farm. The Nantes verity is presently out of stock, but hope to have it very soon.
Asante (Thank you in Swahili)
Re: Anyone Into Carrot Farming In The Southwest? by Soloxam(m): 5:19am On Feb 18, 2015
Pavore9:
Asante (Thank you in Swahili)
UWC sir.
Re: Anyone Into Carrot Farming In The Southwest? by jasper7(m): 9:21am On Feb 18, 2015
Soloxam:
@Jasper there are factors that makes ur carrot smaller, 1. is verity as mention by Pavore9, 2. spacing; if it is closely space u have very small one, the one I did last year, I notice the one I spaced well did well and big, the the once that were too close was very small and thinning. 3. is the soil must be very loss, carrot will penetrate well if the soil is loosen, also it require good amount of water at root elongated stage.........
my brother, this one is a development. I appreciate. so... how many times should I plough?
Re: Anyone Into Carrot Farming In The Southwest? by Pavore9: 9:44am On Feb 18, 2015
jasper7:

my brother, this one is a development. I appreciate. so... how many times should I plough?

l recently dropped by a carrot farm where l went to drop some parcels and was thrilled by the carrots l saw there and was told it was of the Nantes variety which gives them 15-17tonnes per acre, They were also some which they were growing hydroponically (without soil) but l didn't get to see them because l was in a hurry,

l will certainly want to believe that Carrot is not exclusive to Jos area.
Re: Anyone Into Carrot Farming In The Southwest? by jasper7(m): 11:46am On Feb 18, 2015
Pavore9:

l recently dropped by a carrot farm where l went to drop some parcels and was thrilled by the carrots l saw there and was told it was of the Nantes variety which gives them 15-17tonnes per acre, They were also some which they were growing hydroponically (without soil) but l didn't get to see them because l was in a hurry,

l will certainly want to believe that Carrot is not exclusive to Jos area.

I believe so too. but 15-17 tonnes of carrot per acre is some serious numbers o. wow
Re: Anyone Into Carrot Farming In The Southwest? by Pavore9: 12:32pm On Feb 18, 2015
jasper7:

I believe so too. but 15-17 tonnes of carrot per acre is some serious numbers o. wow
l guess our measurement is the same as here, an acre is equivalent to about our 8.5plots (50ft by 100ft)
Re: Anyone Into Carrot Farming In The Southwest? by Soloxam(m): 6:28pm On Feb 20, 2015
jasper7:

Boss, it could be once or twice depending on the nature of the soil, but the fact remain that the soil should have fine tilth.
Re: Anyone Into Carrot Farming In The Southwest? by Soloxam(m): 6:31pm On Feb 20, 2015
Pavore9:
l guess our measurement is the same as here, an acre is equivalent to about our 8.5plots (50ft by 100ft)
Oga have sent u the mail.
Re: Anyone Into Carrot Farming In The Southwest? by jasper7(m): 8:21pm On Feb 20, 2015
Soloxam:
Boss, it could be once or twice depending on the nature of the soil, but the fact remain that the soil should have fine tilth.
I see. adding that one to my to do list grin

1 Like

Re: Anyone Into Carrot Farming In The Southwest? by olushollys(m): 1:26am On Mar 07, 2015
i am also interested in growing carrot and will appreciate answers to these questions
1. does carrot need nursery?
2.what is the proper spacing distance between the two plants?
3. how long does it takes to mature from planting to harvesting
4. any pest, diseases to worry about and control measures
thanks
Re: Anyone Into Carrot Farming In The Southwest? by olushollys(m): 4:35pm On Apr 05, 2015
olushollys:
i am also interested in growing carrot and will appreciate answers to these questions
1. does carrot need nursery?
2.what is the proper spacing distance between the two plants?
3. how long does it takes to mature from planting to harvesting
4. any pest, diseases to worry about and control measures
thanks

pls i need answers to the above questions
soloxam etal do justise
Re: Anyone Into Carrot Farming In The Southwest? by Soloxam(m): 7:08pm On Apr 05, 2015
olushollys:

pls i need answers to the above questions
soloxam etal do justise
This picture should answer ur question on carrot spacing. it down directly. precocity depend on verity and mgnt. nematode affect the root. any pest can come arriund but u just need to prevent them.

Re: Anyone Into Carrot Farming In The Southwest? by FarmTech(m): 8:52pm On Apr 05, 2015
LajaLaba:
God punish Boko
Well well. If not for them and ethnic killings, I would have establish my farm in the north after service.
Re: Anyone Into Carrot Farming In The Southwest? by OLAMIMO12(m): 11:12pm On May 19, 2015
I will post picture of my carrot here soon. Am having a test plot presently

(1) (2) (Reply)

Tigernuts In Large Quantity / Oil Palm Growers Commend FG, CBN For Empowering Small Holder Farmers / Eight (8) Varieties Of Nigerian Mangoes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.