Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,100 members, 7,811,094 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 11:14 PM

Pictures Of Oshodi Market Demolition - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Pictures Of Oshodi Market Demolition (24049 Views)

Poll: Should Fashola Be Given A Part On The Back For Oshodi Market Demolition?

Yes: 78% (160 votes)
No: 11% (24 votes)
Indifferent: 9% (20 votes)
This poll has ended

Bunker, Arms Discovered At Demolished Oshodi Market Shops / Tears As Lagos Demolishes Oshodi Market (PHOTOS) / The Aesthetics And Politics Of Oshodi, Lagos. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pictures Of Oshodi Market Demolition by mustafar1: 10:01pm On Jan 07, 2009
NEXT! all structures built under high voltage power lines or over petroleum pipelines. things must get better. if you know anyone who has a how built less than some 20 or 30 feet away from a powerline, tell them to start looking for somewhere else to stay, or advice them to sell it and run with the money. because it is coming down soooooooooooooooonnnnnn.
Re: Pictures Of Oshodi Market Demolition by lawyer(m): 10:06pm On Jan 07, 2009
Unlike other posters that are feeling sorry for the traders and hoodlums who have ben washed out of oshodi, i dont feel any kind of remorse, pity or sympathy for them, rather i give the Fashola government 2 thumbs up for clearing that place.

What is there to like about Oshodi? The most dreaded place in the whole of Lagos. A den for thieves, hoodlums and pickpockets. I have been robbed 4 times in Oshodi. Thrice at night when coming back from work and a daytime pickpocket of my wallet. The place was so filthy and filled with all sorts of people. How many times have you passed Oshodi without you harbouring some fear of thuggery or thieves occuring to you?

Under the Oshodi bridge and the railway was a nightmare. Inside that very dirty stench, a large market was in operation. People selling consumables close to gutters and repugnant objects that people would consume and fall sick. As if that wasnt enough, the had to occupy the whole space, making it almost impassable for passengers and commuters and God help you that your bag or hands mistakenly hits a basket of tomatoes or fish, then the rest is left for Nairaland to discuss.

The danfos and molues also caused the greatest nightmare of traffic there making people reach their houses very late and scared that they were passing the dreaded oshodi again.

All those complaining that they have no where to go are lying. These tomato sellers left their homes probably in Badagry to come all the way to Oshodi to contribute their own nuisance and dirt. How many of theses so called traders stay within Oshodi or its immediate environs? As long as the government didnt disturb them, they kept on multiplying and causing more mayhem. Now that they have been pursued, are you telling me that they will die? Will they not look for another hideout to turn into another oshodi?

Abeg let the commuters for once enjoy that road. For years it has been a place for horror stories!
Re: Pictures Of Oshodi Market Demolition by tosinaded(m): 10:12pm On Jan 07, 2009
cabali:

meaningless post

sure it is to u, cos i posted it for sane and not deluded peeps grin
Re: Pictures Of Oshodi Market Demolition by connkg(m): 10:43pm On Jan 07, 2009
I'm in to contribute my two cents.
I'm a little pessimistic. Environmentally and aesthetically, this is a good move (I believe).
I'm just a little afraid that all I will see in the near future is a "foundation-laying" ceremony for a "Mega-, "
Will he give us a structural sight to behold within four years?
How, please? I would love to hear DETAILS!
Re: Pictures Of Oshodi Market Demolition by hbrednic: 1:35am On Jan 08, 2009
tosinaded@:

p.s : don't build structures, that will be demolished 20yrs time and leave ur grandchildren homeless

dude, you need to wake up grin
Re: Pictures Of Oshodi Market Demolition by chyk91(m): 2:46am On Jan 08, 2009
i think this is a welcome development in lagos, i also think fashola's dream of turning lagos to a mega-city can be achieved if we all co-operate. the only thing i think he should do is create alternative places where this people can trade not shops because of the cost but a place lyk an open market that is clean and well maintained(this might be impossible considering lagosians) and he should try to create jobs so as to stop crime cos all these guys that have been evacuated have people they cater for and if there is nothing else to do, they will carry guns, but all in all i think this is a good move, its nice seeing an oshodi were there is no traffic and no dirt.
Re: Pictures Of Oshodi Market Demolition by Heinz(m): 3:22am On Jan 08, 2009
passing thru oshodi yestdy reaveled an easy flow of traffic which is terrific for an ever busy oshodi, the demoliyion process is still in process
Re: Pictures Of Oshodi Market Demolition by slimfine(f): 5:50am On Jan 08, 2009
I am not sure, but for those you who suggests alternative place for traders, where exactly do you people want the government to create this alternative place? Another oshodi market where infrastructure is not needed? what a dumb cycle. those trader inhabited that area illegally so they should count there losses. even the bible tells us to obey the authority/Governmnet to have a peaceful life.
Re: Pictures Of Oshodi Market Demolition by Heinz(m): 8:25am On Jan 08, 2009
The governmentr however is just using this opportunity to make it big this time, cos the shops being built are owned by them. so at any price they decide to let out thats what it is goin to be cos that is the only alternative left if one has to remain in business in oshodi. i just hope this wont get burnt like the previous government converted model markets in Lagos state.
Re: Pictures Of Oshodi Market Demolition by birdman(m): 9:07am On Jan 08, 2009
newsflash for all those complaining that we are backward. PROGRESS IS PAINFUL. Very painful. I hate that the means of livelihood of many has been shattered, but we have to mortgage the present for a better future. There are no shortcuts.
Re: Pictures Of Oshodi Market Demolition by felifeli: 10:45am On Jan 08, 2009
Many people will not believe that millions of Europeans and Americans will be glad to sell all they have to live in a climate such as we have and especially in a seaside place like Lagos - shame about the filth and crime problem. Do you know how much the local economy can be boosted if we can get rid of the filth and lawless attitudes ? Billions of dollars annually in tourism and new investment will be a possibility.

But some funny Nigerians run away to Europe/America because of this same problem , they see how clean and orderly things are over there and they curse their country publicly for falling short. Yet when attempts are made by some bold leaders to correct things they begin to  philosophise about  the suffering of lawbreakers.

Ghana went tough on crime with their zero-tolerance attitude (known criminal were just made to disappear without trace) , and that is why they can now hold a problem-free election today.
Do you know what public officers in UK call people who break the law with impunity ? They call them vermin (animals that are destructive, annoying, or injurious to health ) and they treat them like vermin - without mercy . 

Do you know that if you make the mistake to drive on wrong side of the road in a place like London for example, you will definitely be apprehended by at least 3  police vehicles converging on you with sirens blasting, handcuffed and put in prison ? Do you know that if you fail to pay even your council tax (on time), you will be taken to court and jailed ?  Do you know that some boroughs fine you as much as 100 pounds (or more) for dropping just a single cigarette butt on the road ?  (a French lady friend of mine - on holidays from France, got fined 80 pounds for this offence in Barking (Essex) just last year , and ignorance was no excuse to street police) And that is why their country is  always making progress.
Re: Pictures Of Oshodi Market Demolition by Reptyle(m): 12:35pm On Jan 08, 2009
I feel the pain of the affected traders. But the truth is that some order must be restored to Lagos and unfortunately, there is no easier way of doing it. if there was, I am sure that this government would have adopted it. In the first place, those shanties weren't meant to be built right next to a rail road. As a matter of fact, some of the traders display their goods right on the rail tracks. As soon as they feel or hear the train approaching, they hurriedly move their wares only to display them right after the train passes. Numerous deaths have been recorded at Oshodi due to this misnomer. Surely, there's gotta be a safer, less dangerous and more hygenic and organized way of earning a livelihood.

I think this government in Lagos deserves some understanding and patience on our part to be able to do the right things to get this city back on track. For those who criticize the governor for laying so much emphasis on beautifying Lagos to the detriment of other aspects of development, I say you have a point even though its not a strong one. I strongly believe that the failure of government in Nigeria is attributable to past governments' tendencies to bite more than they can chew in trying to deal with all the issues affecting us at once. Yaradua is a clear example. Rather than continuously touting a 7-point agenda, 1 point will do - Provide energy!

My point is that if fashola can focus on restoring order and beautifying Lagos and does it reasonably well, he deserves some applause.
Re: Pictures Of Oshodi Market Demolition by wunmilyn(f): 1:23pm On Jan 08, 2009
lawyer:

Unlike other posters that are feeling sorry for the traders and hoodlums who have ben washed out of oshodi, i don't feel any kind of remorse, pity or sympathy for them, rather i give the Fashola government 2 thumbs up for clearing that place.

What is there to like about Oshodi? The most dreaded place in the whole of Lagos. A den for thieves, hoodlums and pickpockets. I have been robbed 4 times in Oshodi. Thrice at night when coming back from work and a daytime pickpocket of my wallet. The place was so filthy and filled with all sorts of people. How many times have you passed Oshodi without you harbouring some fear of thuggery or thieves occuring to you?

Under the Oshodi bridge and the railway was a nightmare. Inside that very dirty stench, a large market was in operation. People selling consumables close to gutters and repugnant objects that people would consume and fall sick. As if that wasnt enough, the had to occupy the whole space, making it almost impassable for passengers and commuters and God help you that your bag or hands mistakenly hits a basket of tomatoes or fish, then the rest is left for Nairaland to discuss.

The danfos and molues also caused the greatest nightmare of traffic there making people reach their houses very late and scared that they were passing the dreaded oshodi again.

All those complaining that they have no where to go are lying. These tomato sellers left their homes probably in Badagry to come all the way to Oshodi to contribute their own nuisance and dirt. How many of theses so called traders stay within Oshodi or its immediate environs? As long as the government didnt disturb them, they kept on multiplying and causing more mayhem. Now that they have been pursued, are you telling me that they will die? Will they not look for another hideout to turn into another oshodi?

Abeg let the commuters for once enjoy that road. For years it has been a place for horror stories!

true talk,
i don't feel any remorse too.
but wat i will advice the government to do is to provide a flea market.AND THAT IS ON ONE CONDITION,IF ONLY THE MARKETERS CAN MAINTAIN IT AND ALWAYS KEEP IT CLEAN.
Re: Pictures Of Oshodi Market Demolition by sherrylo: 1:35pm On Jan 08, 2009
Thumbs up for Fash o jare,he is really a leader with firmness and I dig him well.
Amatun Eko se,Eko o ni baje lai lai.
Re: Pictures Of Oshodi Market Demolition by Olaolufred(m): 1:40pm On Jan 08, 2009
Thank you Felifeli.

I actually have seen so many Nigerian saying the Leaders are drawing back the Nation.

And my observation has shown that most of us are as corrupt as the so-called leaders are.

It is unfortunate that we all talk of the need for change - even Obama knows that.

But, in Nigeria, most who says they need a change kick against it whenever he surfaces.

I remember a wise man said, "It is foolishness that makes a man to keep doing same thing

the same way and expect different results".
Sorry for saying this My co-nairalanders.

This Quotation is what we celebrates most in Nigeria. Doing same thing Same ways.

When Idiagbon came for Changes in 1983, we kicked him out.

It affects this PDP corrupt Goverment. The only sigh of hope is the Lagos state led AC govt.

See the way they want it crucified like they did to Jesus.

Naijiria will remain backward unless we all pay now, for a better future.

Part of the payment is what we see in Oshodi.
Re: Pictures Of Oshodi Market Demolition by hafees: 1:48pm On Jan 08, 2009
It is not a must that Fashola provides them with alternatives, did he bring them there in the first place (na im carry them come lagos), he should not reward illegalities in the name of emotion or being humane. People keep harmering on economic woes, its just an excuse to commit this illegal acts and cause nuisance, who is not affected, ecery one should block the express because they need money-selfish and insane. if you sell pepper or tomato or fish in your house people will buy they will know you, so its not a must to go to oshodi to sell.

Let me say this, as a son of the soil, everyday i see people from across Nigeria destroying my own state in the name of "no man's land' if the worst happen you can flee to your village. If you can not live by the rules in Lagos go to your village and sell pepper or tomato and make  the millions that wants you to block railway tracks, cause traffics and dirtyetc. Im talking about every one here, yoruba hausa ibo efik etc

For the advocates of this selfish road side market women imagine if you are paid by no of hours and every day you loose 7 hours to traffic then you will understand how it feels. Truth must be told, they are economic saboteurs. Let all of them put their money together buy a piece of land (toato/pepper/fish village) or borrow from micro finane banks fence it and turn it to a mini oshodi, fashola can not complain. Iya loja of oshodi can arrange it she has political power and she's rich.

one of the reasons i boycotted oshodi the last 3 yrs beside traffic , arm robberies, dirts, is that right inside the market in front of her fly invested fish for sale, the 'iya eleja' was poopooing inside a paint container, she didnt mind that half of her kingsize bum bum was exposed (covered herself with wrapper) revolting! and still calling me 'Broda era eja (bros u no buy fish?)

we will continue to pray for fashola, one day i hope Lagosians can spend 20 minutes between iyana ipaja and victoria island either through train or a city bus that encounters no traffic and non controlled by touts
Re: Pictures Of Oshodi Market Demolition by BOSS7: 1:58pm On Jan 08, 2009
hafees:

one of the reasons i boycotted oshodi the last 3 years beside traffic , arm robberies, dirts, is that right inside the market in front of her fly invested fish for sale, the 'iya eleja' was poopooing inside a paint container, she didnt mind that half of her kingsize bum bum was exposed (covered herself with wrapper) revolting! and still calling me 'brother era eja (bros u no buy fish?)

Oh boy, your eyes don see o, grin grin grin

So did you eventually buy the fish? I don't expect a yes or no, grin
Re: Pictures Of Oshodi Market Demolition by Nobody: 2:10pm On Jan 08, 2009
I think our governments are so fond of ammending destructively and not correctively. as for what actually happend in Oshodi, I sympathise with everyone affected through one means or the other, thesame scenero happened in PH and other places, but the bottom line is that the Government itself is confused generally, the country tends to be so cumbersome for them to manage, I mean Nationwide!
Re: Pictures Of Oshodi Market Demolition by Nobody: 2:11pm On Jan 08, 2009
fcucking lagosians. everybody wanna live in lag, thats why the place is now a godamn slum. now, they will go home atleast no place to trade no more. all the bastards that rob people at oshodi too, will go bak to the east and ibadan.
Re: Pictures Of Oshodi Market Demolition by Nobody: 2:25pm On Jan 08, 2009
[fcucking lagosians. everybody want to live in lag, thats why the place is now a godamn slum. now, they will go home atleast no place to trade no more. all the bastards that rob people at oshodi too, will go bak to the east and ibadan. ]
infact Oyo state Govt is not ready to welcome them, order of deploying JTF to Oyo state metropolis has been approved, and to make it worse for them, Osun State youths (Ile Ife in particular) has declared a hot combat against robery and other illegal acts, as it happend recntly in Ife, the youths of the area had to come out to battle with the robber having heard there was a robery going on in at Oceanic bank, the battle was indeed tough and some of the robbers were brought down by the youth in fire exchange.
Re: Pictures Of Oshodi Market Demolition by lagbaja(m): 2:47pm On Jan 08, 2009
On several occasions International documentaries have depicted the pictures of Oshodi as the symbol of the backwardness of not only lagosians but the black race. The population of the illegal traders at Oshodi cant be any more than 500, yet we want to justify their economic stay over that of several millions of Nigerian who should be using the route for their own economic stay, but who are made to suffer untold hardship and suffer in the hand of criminals. Fashola has done the right thing and he should be applauded for his boldness and foresight. Poverty and corruption thrives in a disorganised environment.
Re: Pictures Of Oshodi Market Demolition by citizenY(m): 3:37pm On Jan 08, 2009
[/b] Came in two days ago and was really happy to see what has become of Oshodi. Anyone opposed to the actions of Fashola should have a rethink. Why are we so lawless? Past administrations have avoided taking the bull by the horn. This man has done it and he should be commended for it.

Provision of markets is a responsibility of the government at whichever level but what is the justification where the beneficiaries are lawless. In he twinkling of an eye they convert them into "dust bins' and expect us to bear the consequences of such actions. They even move to the streets and footbridges to compound matters. and someone feels this is right.

Where we lack personal standards, We cannot hold our leaders responsible as we have no expectations. Anything goes. When you have compassion for lawbreakers, it is too bad.

I Am happy also about developments in the Orile/Badagry corridor and many others.

Fashola should move ahead and be very firm and consistent.[b]
Re: Pictures Of Oshodi Market Demolition by Kobojunkie: 3:55pm On Jan 08, 2009
Olaolufred:

But, in Nigeria, most who says they need a change kick against it whenever he surfaces.

I remember a wise man said, "It is foolishness that makes a man to keep doing same thing the same way and expect different results".

Lol . . . I don’t think you ought to be using that adage in this case. Reason being that this is not even the 10th time the same Oshodi market has undergone the same process. I am not sure how long you have lived in Lagos but we used to have a store in Oshodi, had one for almost 20 years actually. We have seen government come and go with promise to change the landscape. Each time, they demolish, leaving the people out of the process, and each time, the people come back. So, yes, it is a foolish man that will keep doing the same thing over and over, expecting a different outcome each time. grin
Just thought you should check your fact on Lagos is all.

Olaolufred:

Sorry for saying this My co-nairalanders.

This Quotation is what we celebrates most in Nigeria. Doing same thing Same ways.

When Idiagbon came for Changes in 1983, we kicked him out.

We did not kick Idiaghon out. Actually, he set himself up from the very beginning. If you have read any of my threads on here, you will know that I applaud Idiaghon for what he was able to do in that country. However, I believe his biggest mistake; a mistake which caused the downfall of his administration in the end, was his not taking the people along with him. What do I mean by this? Well, If you lived in Nigeria during that administration, you would have noticed that even though things were good and well, there was the odd presence of soldiers and police most everywhere you turned. You got the sense that people were being FORCED to be disciplined; instead of actually being disciplined because they believed it was the right thing to do. The fear in Lagos at that time was palpable. You could sense that people were not all relaxed in their dealings. I mean it was not the fear that one was next on the list sort of fear we experienced during Abacha’s regime, but the fear was there alright. I remember a scene at Yaba back then.

When Babangida came into the picture, the coup of 1985, the people did not fight for him probably because many of us assumed he could take care of himself sort of like he has been able to take care of everything else on his own. That to me is a contributing reason as to why the people did not fight against his toppling. If he had had more of the people along with him; had the people involved in the process, I am of the mind that it would not have ended the way it did. I mean there was not even a riot or thought when he was removed. After all the good he did for that nation, you would think that there would at least be a huge riot or something. Many only remember him as a dictator who imposed his will, though mostly good, on the people.
Re: Pictures Of Oshodi Market Demolition by ichiatu(f): 4:12pm On Jan 08, 2009
It's wa oh! so how will these people cope? sad
Re: Pictures Of Oshodi Market Demolition by tayoccu(m): 4:26pm On Jan 08, 2009
let's put sentiments aside,and call a spade a spade,
these people weren't only breaking the laws of the land,they were a big pain in the backsides of lagosians.
they caused traffic jams, polluted the environment,their kiosks/counters/stalls provided the perfect hideout for hoodlums after dark.
now that we've got a governor that has taken the bull by the horns tongues are wagging (to blazes with alternative arrangements/compensations/hand outs) these people had been warned (both by this admin, and the previous ones), so why cry for them?
should we continue to endure the consequences of their actions:endless traffic jams (in which motorists are mugged, precious man hours are lost), pedestrians are deprived of their valuables, ladies are raped on a daily basis, narcotics are sold and abused openly?
I say the governor deserves a pat on the back for boldly doing what his predecessors dreaded.
I'm also of the opinion that most of those criticizing him either live outside Lagos,are pdp sponsored or do not ply the oshodi route.
I remember when the previous admin started the brt project, people screamed and screamed, they said all sorts of things about the project, but i think the project speaks for itself today(though not perfect, it still works very well).
I say the governor needs our support to make Lagos more habitable.
Re: Pictures Of Oshodi Market Demolition by zmurda(m): 5:28pm On Jan 08, 2009
damn man! nice work the pictures. couldn't help feeling the man's pain 9Suffering Naija in the picture!)
Re: Pictures Of Oshodi Market Demolition by Kc0022000(m): 6:57pm On Jan 08, 2009
God bless whoever is behind this action. Guess, its the best thing that will come to Lagos state. That market is a shame,
Re: Pictures Of Oshodi Market Demolition by toyadeng(f): 7:38pm On Jan 08, 2009
I don't know why we like shying away from the truth, so many of us who use Oshodi axis while going out will agree that the place has been turned to a dungeon. No free movement for both passers-by and motorists, causing a lot of traffic jam and resulting in one trekking long distance before getting to the last bus-stop. They have virtually turned the main road to stalls. Moreover, do we even think of the danger these people subject themselves to, by displaying their wares close to the road. I believe there must have been notification, i remember there was a warning last year October, when they were first sent off the roads, we all heaved a sigh of relief. The governor is a learnered fellow, he is not crazy. We want a new Lagos, a crime free Lagos, a neat Lagos, are all these by magic? Fashola, carry go 'jare, Eko o ni baje'
Re: Pictures Of Oshodi Market Demolition by Kobojunkie: 7:50pm On Jan 08, 2009
toyadeng:

The governor is a learnered fellow, he is not crazy. We want a new Lagos, a crime free Lagos, a neat Lagos, are all these by magic? Fashola, carry go 'jare, Eko o ni baje'

PAST LAGOS STATE GOVERNORS WERE ALSO LEARNED MEN !

(i) Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu
Academics
* Richard Daley College, Chicago, Illinois where he was on the College honour’s list.
He proceeded to the * Chicago State University, Chicago, Illinois and graduated in 1979 with a Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration specializing in Accounting and Management.
1999 - 2007 Executive Governor

(ii) Colonel Muhammed Buba Marwa

Marwa has an M.A. in International Relations from the University of Pittsburg and an M.A. in Public Administration from Harvard University. 1996 - 1999

Military Administrator

(iii) Colonel Olagunsoye Oyinlola

Olagunsoye Oyinlola attended the Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-ife from where he bagged a Diploma in International Relations in 1979. He later proceeded to the University of Madras, India, where he graduated with M. Sc. Degree in Defence Studies in 1988 1993 - 1996 Military Administrator

(iv) Sir Michael Agbolade Otedola

Sir Otedola attended Government College, Kaduna and later St. Leo’s College, Abeokuta. He later won a scholarship to studied journalism at the famous Regent Street, Polytechnic of Central London and graduated with a Diploma in Journalism in June 1958. 1991 - 1993 Executive Governor

(v) Brigadier General Raji Rasaki
1988 - 1991 Military Governor

(vi) Navy Captain Okhai Mike Akhigbe
1986 - 1988 Military Governor

(vii) Late Air Commander Gbolahan Mudasiru

He attended St John’s School Aroloya, 1951-1958, Igbobi College, Yaba 1959-1963 and joined the Nigeria Air Force in 1964, attended Officer Cadet Training Course, Air Force Base, Kaduna 1964-1966, Nigeria Military Training College, Zaria, 1966 and other courses both within and outside of the country. Among the countries he had training was in United States of America and United Kingdom
1984 – 1986 Military Governor

(viii) Alhaji Lateef Kayode Jakande

He had his primary education in Lagos Public School, 1936-1939, Banharn Memorial Methodist School, Port Harcourt, 1939 to 1943, King’s College, Lagos, 1944, Ilesha Grammar School, Ilesha, 1945 to 1949. 1979 – 1983 Executive Governor

(ix) Commodore Ebitu Ukiwe
1978 – 1979 Military Governor

(x) Commodore Ndubusi Kanu
1977 – 1978 Military Governor

(xi) Late Commodore Adekunle Lawal
1975 – 1977 Military Governor

(xii) Brigadier Mobolaji Johnson
1967 - 1975 Military Governor
Re: Pictures Of Oshodi Market Demolition by Pamperme: 8:00pm On Jan 08, 2009
As our Honourables will say ¨I SUPPORT THE  LAST SPEAKER¨.  i ply that route everyday and if there is anything am happy about right now, it´s the demolition.  Has anyone being in a situation where you scramble to pass in between the molues and the stalls on the main road and ur cloth or bag hit some of the wares on display? these women will scream, shout and threatenes to even beat you up.  Am really happy that Oshodi is free, one of my new year prayers has been answered.  i was at Oshodi the day Fashola came with camcorder to video Oshodi and then i knew something will happen soon and am so happy
Re: Pictures Of Oshodi Market Demolition by Pamperme: 8:07pm On Jan 08, 2009
Kobojunkie:

PAST LAGOS STATE GOVERNORS WERE ALSO LEARNED MEN !

(i) Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu
Academics
* Richard Daley College, Chicago, Illinois where he was on the College honour’s list.
He proceeded to the * Chicago State University, Chicago, Illinois and graduated in 1979 with a Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration specializing in Accounting and Management.
1999 - 2007 Executive Governor

(ii) Colonel Muhammed Buba Marwa

Marwa has an M.A. in International Relations from the University of Pittsburg and an M.A. in Public Administration from Harvard University. 1996 - 1999

Military Administrator

(iii) Colonel Olagunsoye Oyinlola

Olagunsoye Oyinlola attended the Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-ife from where he bagged a Diploma in International Relations in 1979. He later proceeded to the University of Madras, India, where he graduated with M. Sc. Degree in Defence Studies in 1988 1993 - 1996 Military Administrator

(iv) Sir Michael Agbolade Otedola

Sir Otedola attended Government College, Kaduna and later St. Leo’s College, Abeokuta. He later won a scholarship to studied journalism at the famous Regent Street, Polytechnic of Central London and graduated with a Diploma in Journalism in June 1958. 1991 - 1993 Executive Governor

(v) Brigadier General Raji Rasaki
1988 - 1991 Military Governor

(vi) Navy Captain Okhai Mike Akhigbe
1986 - 1988 Military Governor

(vii) Late Air Commander Gbolahan Mudasiru

He attended St John’s School Aroloya, 1951-1958, Igbobi College, Yaba 1959-1963 and joined the Nigeria Air Force in 1964, attended Officer Cadet Training Course, Air Force Base, Kaduna 1964-1966, Nigeria Military Training College, Zaria, 1966 and other courses both within and outside of the country. Among the countries he had training was in United States of America and United Kingdom
1984 – 1986 Military Governor

(viii) Alhaji Lateef Kayode Jakande

He had his primary education in Lagos Public School, 1936-1939, Banharn Memorial Methodist School, Port Harcourt, 1939 to 1943, King’s College, Lagos, 1944, Ilesha Grammar School, Ilesha, 1945 to 1949. 1979 – 1983 Executive Governor

(ix) Commodore Ebitu Ukiwe
1978 – 1979 Military Governor

(x) Commodore Ndubusi Kanu
1977 – 1978 Military Governor

(xi) Late Commodore Adekunle Lawal
1975 – 1977 Military Governor
(xii) Brigadier Mobolaji Johnson
1967 - 1975 Military Governor

When you refer to someone as Learned Fellow, then that means the person is a Lawyer. Majority of these Governors are Military men who didnt pass through normal University/Polytechnic Education. Even Tinubu´s qualifications were at some time questioned
Re: Pictures Of Oshodi Market Demolition by Kobojunkie: 8:15pm On Jan 08, 2009
[size=13pt]learned [/size] Definition
learned (lʉr′nid; for 3, lʉrnd)

adjective

having or showing much learning; well-informed; erudite
having or showing much learning in some special field eg. a learned doctor
of or characterized by scholarship, study, and learning eg.a learned society
acquired by study, experience, etc. a learned response
Etymology: orig. pp. of learn in obs. sense of “teach”

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Mohammed Abacha Fights To Reclaim $1.3bn Oil Bloc, Sues FG, Shell, Agip / ANAMBRA GUBER!!! Checkout Maduka's Accord With Ndi Anambra / Osinbajo Replaces Babachir At New Boards Committee: Dailytrust

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.