Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,089 members, 7,825,434 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 02:33 PM

I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) (9982 Views)

Start Your F.M.C.G Distribution Business With N20,000 Initial Capital / N20,000 Changed To N10 Notes In Ibadan, Apata (Photos) / 5 Young Nigerians Below 30 Who Against All Odds Excel In Their Business (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by jonnyp(m): 6:09pm On Mar 23, 2015
Good day dealers,pls I need 2008 or 2009 camry for hire purchase tokubo or nigeria use.I want to use it for a car hire business in one of the top american car hire company in inland.will deposit 200k and pays 120k monthly and also add 400k on the saId amount depending on our agreement.possible we get a lawyer N get a car tracker for the car with solid guarantor.my contact is 08030744465 or any individual that want to partner with me......
Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by emperoracro(m): 8:32pm On Mar 23, 2015
I am looking for a reliable business partner,i deal with Agricultural products, i have a store and a bus for the business, am working on expansion. Pm me or contact me on +2348136909187, pls i want only serious and mature people. Thanks
CLOSED
Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by GenoMI: 9:23am On Mar 24, 2015
hi @usgee, nice to hear from you again. Your contributions is definitely not 'very little' and is a most welcome addition. I will be selecting the 1st set of beneficiaries this Friday. I will send you a DM so that we can communicate better via e-mail.

usgee:
@Genomi
Sorry for the late reply and thanks for keeping the faith.
The beneficiary of the broadband bonus is just whoever you recommend really. It is a very little contribution and yes it is very possible to increase the number as time goes.
Glad that you have rolled out the plan. Please keep the focus, whatever you can do now will help someone who will appreciate.
Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by GenoMI: 10:15am On Mar 24, 2015
Hi @jaybee3, thanks for your contribution. I am definitely not in a position to implement (2) and (3) - that is one of I will leave for the banks grin grin

As for (1), my dream is to set us FREE E-Learning centres around the country where young people can walk in, book a slot of 1 or 2 hours and have access to state of the art technology and e-learning facilities that will cover business, professional and vocational skills.

I strongly believe in the power of combining technology with continuous learning and development as a way to help people achieve their business and/or career goals. Technology has changed EVERYTHING. Like I said earlier, I decided to put up www.skillsonthehouse.com all by myself and I was able to achieve that aim simply by going online and taking a 6-hour wordpress course which even gave me the flexibility to spread out my learning over a week. Just imagine being able to login to a portal (if you can afford a computer and internet access) or walk into a building (if you don't have your own computer) and walk out armed with knowledge and skills that can help you perform better at your job or even start your own business. That is my dream for Nigeria smiley

Having said that, I actually got an inquiry from a young entrepreneur after launching the site - he wanted to know if I will also give out loans. I won't do that but I know the owner of a micro-finance bank and I've started talking to him to see what can be done for young Nigerians who are just starting out - again, I will keep the house posted on my progress and hopefully we will be able to work something out that will allow people access to soft loans without having to fulfill a mountain of requirements.

jaybee3:
Nice initiative but how would you measure success?
It's always good to empower people with knowledge but it's almost useless when there reallyisn't an enabling environment.
I personally think you could set acheive a better result with the following business model:
1) Set up a vocational training facilities and have applicants enrol on them free of charge
2) Provide soft loans and incentives for people with established small business
3) Provide financial buffers for those struggling to actualise their ideas
Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by GenoMI: 10:17am On Mar 24, 2015
Hi @Ademat7, thanks for your contribution. I definitely see what you are saying, NYSC people are one of the main target audiences for this initiative...do you have any suggestions on how I can spread the word to a large group of corpers? Your advice will be appreciated.

Ademat7:
@Genomi since u won't be giving out quack idea,I suggest u look toward NYSC member cos what u intend giving is a modern-skill u knw what I mean that require some level of prior education by d beneficiary,if u want to target less privilege it will have been vocational skill but I understand d cadre u occupy in academic world hence ur choice skill
Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by jaybee3(m): 10:38am On Mar 24, 2015
GenoMI:
Hi @jaybee3, thanks for your contribution. I am definitely not in a position to implement (2) and (3) - that is one of I will leave for the banks grin grin

As for (1), my dream is to set us FREE E-Learning centres around the country where young people can walk in, book a slot of 1 or 2 hours and have access to state of the art technology and e-learning facilities that will cover business, professional and vocational skills.

How would you measure success of the model?
Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by GenoMI: 11:11am On Mar 24, 2015
Oh yes, sorry I forgot to address that question - the honest truth is that measuring the success of the model in terms of direct impact on careers and businesses will not be an easy feat because it will largely boil down to the individual beneficiaries. What I mean by this is that it is left to beneficiaries to put the knowledge they gain into good use - there is no direct way for me to measure this.

What I can actually measure (for now) is the number of people who have received training through the initiative - I will also keep open lines of communication with beneficiaries and follow their progress as much as I can. In less than one week of the site going live, I have already connected with a few young people asking for my thoughts on their businesses, while others have just applied to get a free course - there is a key difference between these 2 groups of people. I will definitely be keeping up with the people who reach out to me directly and hopefully even play more of a role in helping them achieve their goals. And as things pick up and get bigger, more people will come on board to help out as well as bring their own ideas on board as to how to make things better.

If you have any other ideas you think I should be considering, please feel free to tell me. Thanks a lot for your help, I appreciate it.

jaybee3:

How would you measure success of the model?
Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by lahit14(m): 11:11am On Mar 24, 2015
I read through ur post ma'am, that is some very big plan u got, jst the fact that u tot of somtin like this tells a lot abt the sought of person u are. Well again It might be becos of ur background or not regardless tnx.
Personally though I tink u should monitiz it or perhaps just this one 0126741240 GTB. Again ma'am do u tink u can make it 50k, it would really really go a long way.
Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by jaybee3(m): 11:38am On Mar 24, 2015
GenoMI:

Oh yes, sorry I forgot to address that question - the honest truth is that measuring the success of the model in terms of direct impact on careers and businesses will not be an easy feat because it will largely boil down to the individual beneficiaries. What I mean by this is that it is left to beneficiaries to put the knowledge they gain into good use - there is no direct way for me to measure this.
I knew it was never going to be an easy feat hence why I wanted you to re-evaluate your approach in reaching the desired outcome.
Addressing the availability and accessibility of training is very good since there is a visible gap that ought to be closed via initiatives such as yours. My worry is that it wouldn’t necessarily go far enough in reaching your initial goals except you can link the vocational training with the other plans you’re currently designing

GenoMI:

What I can actually measure (for now) is the number of people who have received training through the initiative - I will also keep open lines of communication with beneficiaries and follow their progress as much as I can. In less than one week of the site going live, I have already connected with a few young people asking for my thoughts on their businesses, while others have just applied to get a free course - there is a key difference between these 2 groups of people. I will definitely be keeping up with the people who reach out to me directly and hopefully even play more of a role in helping them achieve their goals. And as things pick up and get bigger, more people will come on board to help out as well as bring their own ideas on board as to how to make things better.

If you have any other ideas you think I should be considering, please feel free to tell me. Thanks a lot for your help, I appreciate it.

Success with these sort of initiatives won’t necessarily be complete without the recipients gainfully employed and being productive.

How about you include career advice and coaching on how to write CV’s as well as interview techniques into your end-to-end process?

You can also focus the training on skills that can bridge employment Gap in Nigeria

Well done though. I like your positive spirit/energy.. We definitely need more people like you to move this nation forward

1 Like

Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by GenoMI: 12:03pm On Mar 24, 2015
Wow! Thanks and thanks again - you have definitely put a lot of thought into this. I would absolutely love to give career advice and help with CV's and interview preparation as well, in fact that was one of the things I mentioned in my initial post on this thread.

What do you think would be the best way to go about this? Giving one-to-one assistance over the net or organising small events where I can meet up with say 10 people at a time? I may also be able to get some experienced friends and colleagues to help out...

I will also start looking for and giving out training that will specifically help people become more employable..as usual, I will provide the house feedback on my progress cheesy

jaybee3:

I knew it was never going to be an easy feat hence why I wanted you to re-evaluate your approach in reaching the desired outcome.
Addressing the availability and accessibility of training is very good since there is a visible gap that ought to be closed via initiatives such as yours. My worry is that it wouldn’t necessarily go far enough in reaching your initial goals except you can link the vocational training with the other plans you’re currently designing

Success with these sort of initiatives won’t necessarily be complete without the recipients gainfully employed and being productive.

How about you include career advice and coaching on how to write CV’s as well as interview techniques into your end-to-end process?

You can also focus the training on skills that can bridge employment Gap in Nigeria

Well done though. I like your positive spirit/energy.. We definitely need more people like you to move this nation forward
Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by jaybee3(m): 12:13pm On Mar 24, 2015
GenoMI:
Wow! Thanks and thanks again - you have definitely put a lot of thought into this. I would absolutely love to give career advice and help with CV's and interview preparation as well, in fact that was one of the things I mentioned in my initial post on this thread.

What do you think would be the best way to go about this? Giving one-to-one assistance over the net or organising small events where I can meet up with say 10 people at a time? I may also be able to get some experienced friends and colleagues to help out...

I will also start looking for and giving out training that will specifically help people become more employable..as usual, I will provide the house feedback on my progress cheesy

You’re very much welcome

1-2-1 assistance is good but for how long since it will have a knock on effect on time resource
I like the idea of group events as people will be able to share experience and knowledge as well as network at these events. That’s certainly a plus
I personally think you had hit a home run if you can get people (friends/colleagues) to mentor the applicants. I’m happy to sign up for the mentorship IF needed

Just to add, you can engage Jarus of jarushub to tap from his knoweldge/expertise on career advisory.
Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by GenoMI: 12:16pm On Mar 24, 2015
Ok then, I will start working on it..

YES PLEASE, it would be great if you can join in and mentor as well. grin grin grin

I will give you all the necessary details in due time.

jaybee3:

You’re very much welcome

1-2-1 assistance is good but for how long since it will have a knock on effect on time resource
I like the idea of group events as people will be able to share experience and knowledge as well as network at these events. That’s certainly a plus
I personally think you had hit a home run if you can get people (friends/colleagues) to mentor the applicants. I’m happy to sign up for the mentorship IF needed
Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by GenoMI: 1:58pm On Mar 24, 2015
Hi @Seun

Skills On The House is an initiative I started with the aim of sponsoring a number of young Nigerians every month to attend useful courses. This is my own way of giving back to Nigeria. I believe in the power of combining technology with continuous learning as a way to help people achieve their business and/or career goals.

Every week, I will personally sponsor at least 1 beneficiary to receive a free course from the list of available at www.skillsonthehouse.com/get-a-free-course/

The courses to be given out this week are:

1) Online Digital & Social Media Marketing Diploma

2) Starting an Online Business

A fellow nairalander advised me to reach out to get your thoughts and advice on how to get the information out there. I hope you can give a few minutes of your time to check it out. Thank you.
Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by Nobody: 2:46pm On Mar 24, 2015
@Genomi..I tried leaving my info on the comment box but it wasnt possible
Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by GenoMI: 3:52pm On Mar 24, 2015
Hi @Onozztins, is is that you got an error message? If so please what was it?

Onozztins:
@Genomi..I tried leaving my info on the comment box but it wasnt possible
Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by Onelovetayz(m): 6:55pm On Mar 24, 2015
Hi Genomi,
I am a Computer Science graduate and I would like to partner with you in any way you know I can be of help just let me know.
Please, I am not asking for money from you.
tayolumide@gmail.com

1 Like

Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by GenoMI: 8:03pm On Mar 24, 2015
Hi @Onelovetayz, I will send you an email soon.

Onelovetayz:
Hi Genomi,
I am a Computer Science graduate and I would like to partner with you in any way you know I can be of help just let me know.
Please, I am not asking for money from you.
tayolumide@gmail.com
Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by renshawolami(m): 8:37pm On Mar 24, 2015
i am an internet entrpreneur,its just dat ave not started earning,i have genuine programs that can fetch us money on the long run,while we continue to seek for personal upgrade dis things her available and i can show you.its all legitimate deals.
Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by GenoMI: 12:11am On Mar 28, 2015
Hello house,

Just to let you know that the first set of beneficiaries have been selected and contacted. 2 people were picked and each got a free course - you can get more information on the site here http://skillsonthehouse.com/beneficiaries-of-the-week-27th-march-2015/
Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by GenoMI: 12:13am On Mar 28, 2015
3 new courses have been put up on the site and will be given out next week on Friday 3rd April, 2015.

1) Online Advanced Human Resources
2) Online Diploma in Nutrition & Weight Management
3) Online Interior Design & Decoration

You can enter for a chance to get a free course by dropping a comment with your details and the name of the course you would like to take here - http://skillsonthehouse.com/get-a-free-course/
Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by uvalued(m): 1:25am On Mar 29, 2015
GenoMI:
Hi @beabea5, unfortunately I have not even started yet as I plan to do so next Month by God's Grace if everything is in place. But I won't be giving out cash, rather I will be paying for training, seminars, materials etc that can be beneficial towards building a business or career.

Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by uvalued(m): 1:37am On Mar 29, 2015
GenoMI:
Thanks @pinbar

Hello house, how has everyone been? I'm back again with an update - I'm please to announce that the site is now live at www.skillsonthehouse.com. Also on twitter @SOTHNigeria

Skills On The House as in Free skills (think Drinks on the house, LOL) grin grin

The great thing about this is that I put the website up by myself - I used wordpress which I knew absolutely NOTHING about before I started this initiative. So I just went online, searched for a cheap online wordpress course, paid and did the course. It lasted 6 hours and I was able to complete it in about a week. It took that long because of my seriously tight schedule and I was only able to do about an hour a day.

After completing the course, I was actually able to get the site up and running with very little hassle (thanks also to google for helping me find answers whenever I got stuck) - I will be giving out that wordpress course very soon as well. Anyone can pick it up and build a business around designing websites grin grin

You can head to the site to drop a comment to enter for a chance to get a free course. I will be giving out 2 courses to 2 people next week:

1) Online Digital & Social Media Marketing Diploma

2) Starting an Online Business

A few friends have expressed interest in giving money towards the initiative so that they can also help sponsor people to learn new skills. I have refused to collect for now because I want to build a solid process around this first and ensure transparency - truth is I don't want to collect anyone's cash because I want to be fully accountable and don't want anyone to think their funds are being diverted elsewhere. So right now, I'm working on developing a process around how other Nigerians can get involved and give whatever they have.

As usual, your ideas are welcome. Thanks soo much for the encouragement and support soo far. God Bless you all.
great
Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by uvalued(m): 1:45am On Mar 29, 2015
GenoMI:
Hi @beabea5, unfortunately I have not even started yet as I plan to do so next Month by God's Grace if everything is in place. But I won't be giving out cash, rather I will be paying for training, seminars, materials etc that can be beneficial towards building a business or career.

Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by GenoMI: 12:51am On Apr 01, 2015
3 new courses have been put up on the site and will be given out this week on Friday 3rd April, 2015.

1) Online Advanced Human Resources
2) Online Diploma in Nutrition & Weight Management
3) Online Interior Design & Decoration

You can enter for a chance to get a free course by dropping a comment with your details and the name of the course you would like to take here - http://skillsonthehouse.com/get-a-free-course/
Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by isobayor: 10:56am On Apr 02, 2015
As the revenue from oil and gas dwindles, there will be aggressive drive for internally generated revenue. While this portends a difficult time for companies and individuals on tax related issues, its a great opportunity for non client centric consultants and some unscrupulous regulators to exploit the innocence and ignorance of Tax payers. ADEGOLU CONSULTING SERVICES a client centric firm founded on integrity and professionalism is ready to partner with you to be on right side of law by delivering with passion Quintessential Audit, Financial Advisory & Tax services.
You can contact; ADEBAYO on 08079276907, RAHMON; on 08025331404 for more details.

Please note that you will earn commission on every successful clients introduced by you
Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by GenoMI: 3:47pm On Apr 03, 2015
Hello house, Happy good Friday. I hope everyone is enjoying the holiday.

Just a quick one - quite a few people have sent me private messages here on NL but I would like to suggest an easier way that allows me to keep track of all messages - kindly use the form on this page - http://skillsonthehouse.com/contact-page/

I always look forward to hearing from people interested in the initiative. Thanks for your understanding smiley
Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by pinbar(m): 8:01pm On Apr 03, 2015
GenoMI:
Hello house, Happy good Friday. I hope everyone is enjoying the holiday.

Just a quick one - quite a few people have sent me private messages here on NL but I would like to suggest an easier way that allows me to keep track of all messages - kindly use the form on this page - http://skillsonthehouse.com/contact-page/

I always look forward to hearing from people interested in the initiative. Thanks for your understanding smiley

wow wow wow, that is all i can say.. so much effort has been put in since the last time i checked, so much progress

Internship program may be necessary in future so as to consolidate some of the skills acquired. This can be achieved by partnering with established organizations that make use of such skills. however, i know this idea is new and just coming up
Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by GenoMI: 12:33am On Apr 04, 2015
Thanks @pinbar, I really appreciate your input and suggestions - I'm trying to learn as much as I can as I've been able to develop the idea to this stage using a lot of comments and suggestions I received here.

I'm constantly working on the idea and thinking of how to improve it, I must confess it hasn't been very easy especially due to tie constraints but I will continue to try my best and update the house.

I really like the idea of the internships, and I'm already researching organisations I can partner with that will help beneficiaries put the skills gained into good use - I'll keep the house posted. cheesy cheesy

pinbar:

wow wow wow, that is all i can say.. so much effort has been put in since the last time i checked, so much progress

Internship program may be necessary in future so as to consolidate some of the skills acquired. This can be achieved by partnering with established organizations that make use of such skills. however, i know this idea is new and just coming up
Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by GenoMI: 12:08pm On Apr 04, 2015
Hello House,

Just to inform everyone that I have put up 2 new courses on the site and will give them out next week on Friday 10th April, 2015.

1) Online Business Management & Entrepreneurship
2) Online Social Media Marketing

Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by wealthmission: 1:04pm On Apr 07, 2015
GenoMI:
Hi @wealthmission, welldone with your site. Unfortunately I'm only giving out courses (and not cash) as a way of helping people improve their skill-set, that's the only way I can be sure that the initiative is being put to good use.

thanks

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Under 45 Ceos Summit: Entrepreneurs Receive Grants Worth Millions Of Naira / First Bank ATM Transfer Limit / Central Bank Injects $210 Million Into Currency Market

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.