Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,726 members, 7,816,983 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:09 PM

I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) - Business (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) (9950 Views)

Start Your F.M.C.G Distribution Business With N20,000 Initial Capital / N20,000 Changed To N10 Notes In Ibadan, Apata (Photos) / 5 Young Nigerians Below 30 Who Against All Odds Excel In Their Business (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by GenoMI: 7:18pm On Apr 14, 2015
Thanks very much @eninaija and a big Amen.

[quote author=eninaija post=32721655][/quote]
Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by sholly007: 4:49pm On Apr 16, 2015
I've registered.
A big thanks to GENOMI
Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by GenoMI: 9:08am On Apr 20, 2015
Good morning house,

How's everyone doing? cheesy

Just to let you know that there are now a total of 34 courses on the site - this is due to the recent partnership a top UK-based online learning company called Skillsology - you really should check their website out www.skillsology.com. They offer a wide range of quality Business, Professional and Vocational courses.

As usual, 2 courses will be given out for free this week, just head to the site and drop a comment www.skillsonthehouse.com/get-a-free-course/
Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by GenoMI: 9:06am On Apr 27, 2015
Hello house, long time. Hope everyone is doing well? cheesy

Just a quick update - I have been working to improve the site based on feedback from users and other people who have contributed their input immensely, I'm really grateful and I thank everyone because quite a few NL people have kept in touch with me.

I've also been in discussions with an NGO that already works with Nigerian youth to partner and get the courses to those people that REALLY need them. I'll let you all in on my progress.

Please check out the new layout of the site and let me know what you think - it is still a work in progress and your thoughts are welcome. Thank you. www.skillsonthehouse.com

1 Like

Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by sholly007: 6:54pm On Apr 28, 2015
GenoMI:
Hello house, long time. Hope everyone is doing well? cheesy

Just a quick update - I have been working to improve the site based on feedback from users and other people who have contributed their input immensely, I'm really grateful and I thank everyone because quite a few NL people have kept in touch with me.

I've also been in discussions with an NGO that already works with Nigerian youth to partner and get the courses to those people that REALLY need them. I'll let you all in on my progress.

Please check out the new layout of the site and let me know what you think - it is still a work in progress and your thoughts are welcome. Thank you. www.skillsonthehouse.com
Like seriously, it's a nice developement.
Immediately i clicked on ' get a course' the content wasnt showing. Dunno if the error was from my fone.
Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by eninaija(f): 8:38pm On Apr 28, 2015
Wow cool Great website
I have applied for a Course.

Well done GenoMi kiss
Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by GenoMI: 8:38am On Apr 29, 2015
Wow. Thanks guys - I'm really happy to hear that you can access the site via your mobile and are now able to apply.

I will be contacting the beneficiaries on Friday.

Have a nice day everyone cheesy

1 Like

Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by jayjayjay0214: 3:24am On May 18, 2015
hello borrow me 40k ill pay back 45k in 3 months
09051948827 , 08109977194
Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by GenoMI: 3:42pm On Aug 07, 2015
Hello house,

How has everyone been? Long time, lol!

Just dropping by to say hi - Skills On The House is up and running and I'm currently working on improving the back-end technology to enable user membership and immediate access to course material once a user signs-up.

I'm getting applications but I seriously need to work on creating more awareness - does anyone have any ideas? I also plan to take a course on how to leverage social media platforms properly to achieve this.
Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by GenoMI: 11:31am On Sep 16, 2015
Good morning everyone,

How are you doing? Hope well! grin grin

So I want to bring up something I've realised as I progress on this journey - Nigerian job seekers need HELP!

I have worked in may different places, and I realise that there is a problem - our graduates don't have the required skills to get (and in some cases keep) jobs.

I work in a management consulting firm, and the other day a young graduate who had a Masters degree from a University abroad came for an interview. He really looked good on paper and we were looking forward to meeting him.

Alas he came for the interview and messed up big time - in short the interview was over (in the minds of our management team) about 5 mins into it undecided undecided cry cry cry. He simply wasn't prepared. He hadn't done any homework. Didn't research the company so couldn't even answer the question 'What do you know about our company / what we do here' shocked shocked.

He couldn't articulate his past achievements including his work experience. Even his body language was all wrong, the way he was slouched in his chair.

Anyway, he didn't get the job and I was a bit shocked because he seemed like the perfect candidate on paper. Yes there is a shortage of jobs in Nigeria, but there are some jobs and it seems like our youth lack the skills necessary to get those jobs.

I want to try and shift my focus to helping from this angle now and I'm trying to figure out how best to go about it so that I can reach as many people as possible.

For now though, I will start by helping people do up their CV's properly as well as prepare for interviews (I'll do 1 a week). I think I have done enough interviews both home and abroad and I have some experience I can share (I've worked in many industries as an IT Business Analyst with companies like Pearson Education, Credit Suisse, 21st Century Technologies, Afrinvest, Samsung Electronics West Africa and the Nigerian Stock Exchange).

Anyone who would like to take me up on this should send me a message here - http://skillsonthehouse.com/contact-page/
Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by eninaija(f): 10:48am On Sep 19, 2015
Well done, I must say that I admire d fact that you keep this going. I will contact you later to share my ideas on How to expand this.

GenoMI:
Good morning everyone,

How are you doing? Hope well! grin grin

So I want to bring up something I've realised as I progress on this journey - Nigerian job seekers need HELP!

I have worked in may different places, and I realise that there is a problem - our graduates don't have the required skills to get (and in some cases keep) jobs.

I work in a management consulting firm, and the other day a young graduate who had a Masters degree from a University abroad came for an interview. He really looked good on paper and we were looking forward to meeting him.

Alas he came for the interview and messed up big time - in short the interview was over (in the minds of our management team) about 5 mins into it undecided undecided cry cry cry. He simply wasn't prepared. He hadn't done any homework. Didn't research the company so couldn't even answer the question 'What do you know about our company / what we do here' shocked shocked.

He couldn't articulate his past achievements including his work experience. Even his body language was all wrong, the way he was slouched in his chair.

Anyway, he didn't get the job and I was a bit shocked because he seemed like the perfect candidate on paper. Yes there is a shortage of jobs in Nigeria, but there are some jobs and it seems like our youth lack the skills necessary to get those jobs.

I want to try and shift my focus to helping from this angle now and I'm trying to figure out how best to go about it so that I can reach as many people as possible.

For now though, I will start by helping people do up their CV's properly as well as prepare for interviews (I'll do 1 a week). I think I have done enough interviews both home and abroad and I have some experience I can share (I've worked in many industries as an IT Business Analyst with companies like Pearson Education, Credit Suisse, 21st Century Technologies, Afrinvest, Samsung Electronics West Africa and the Nigerian Stock Exchange).

Anyone who would like to take me up on this should send me a message here - http://skillsonthehouse.com/contact-page/
Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by GenoMI: 1:00pm On Sep 19, 2015
Thanks @eninaija, will be looking forward to hearing from you.

It feels good to be able to pass on some of the knowledge I have.

So far I have been contacted by 3 graduates who asked me to help review their CV's which I have done. I may start recording short video tutorials of what exactly I did to jazz those CV's up so that people can just watch and learn since working with people one on one will seriously limit my reach.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by Jessman007(m): 4:40pm On Sep 19, 2015
I didn't know there were kind Nigerians like u. Keep up the good work
Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by eninaija(f): 7:42pm On Sep 29, 2015
GenoMI,

Here is my idea
You should have a once in a month meeting where you can teach people what they need for Career success. It could be once in 2months depending on your schedule
You can also involve other Volunteers who want to share their knowledge and skills

In such meetings create a platform for Networking and access to information on job opportunities, scholarships, internship, enterprise and self development generally
The meetings need not be big; 10 to 20 persons is fine.
Have a Skills on the House banner, take nice pics and promote it online.
I believe with this Skills on the house will make more impact and better ideas will come up as you go on.

I wish you much more Success!

** Video tutorials is a great idea. Pls do it

1 Like

Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by fammie99: 8:17pm On Sep 29, 2015
MrIyke222:

Broh‘’ I strongly agry wit u. Monetizing such venture can easily b abused with d mentality of d avarage Nigerian youth out there. D money may not b much, but at dsame time its a whole lot for some one who knws d value of such gesture.
Human Capacity Development is d greatst investment anyone would stand to always b proud of. This is IT age nd thank God ure an IT person nd d present trend of life changing is 60% IT opportunity. So I believe dat giving dis hand of help through ur field area, will imencely contribute to d below average economy of our country. For instance, presently, I wnt to go for an IT training on Web development and programming, but cant afford #25000 training fee due other chalnges.
Pls take ur time and plan out a good structure on it with people of lik minds, u cam even partner with them and i bet u may not b stopping in Nigeria alone, bfor u know it, a foriegn donor agency may even com to partner with u.
God bless U
Chk diz out guys,am sure u cn make lotz of money wif it http://PayRefe.com/?ref=66785
Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by elknice: 9:15pm On Sep 29, 2015
Be Trained as System Engineer, Network Administrator, Graphics Designer, Web Designer, CCTV Installer, DSTV/FTA Installer
@
Elknice Solutions
36 Ibrahim Taiwo Rd, Ilrn.
080-7077-4214, 081-6461-4502
Enroll NOW!
Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by GenoMI: 2:47pm On Sep 30, 2015
Hello Eninaija,

Thanks a lot for the feedback - I will take your advice on and see how I can possibly organise such a meeting, I like that idea. It's just that I've never done such a thing before. I have no problems organising the meeting, my issue is how to get the word out so that people know about it. Anyway I will start thinking about and working on it, and of course the house will be the first to know once I figure out a way to bring it to life.

I've also been working on the video tutorial and will let everyone know once it's done.

Thank you guys for all the support and encouragement!!!

eninaija:
GenoMI,

Here is my idea
You should have a once in a month meeting where you can teach people what they need for Career success. It could be once in 2months depending on your schedule
You can also involve other Volunteers who want to share their knowledge and skills

In such meetings create a platform for Networking and access to information on job opportunities, scholarships, internship, enterprise and self development generally
The meetings need not be big; 10 to 20 persons is fine.
Have a Skills on the House banner, take nice pics and promote it online.
I believe with this Skills on the house will make more impact and better ideas will come up as you go on.

I wish you much more Success!

** Video tutorials is a great idea. Pls do it

Re: I Want To Give Out N20,000 A Month To Help Young Nigerians (for Career Or Biz) by eninaija(f): 3:23pm On Sep 30, 2015
GenoMI:
Hello Eninaija,

Thanks a lot for the feedback - I will take your advice on and see how I can possibly organise such a meeting, I like that idea. It's just that I've never done such a thing before. I have no problems organising the meeting, my issue is how to get the word out so that people know about it. Anyway I will start thinking about and working on it, and of course the house will be the first to know once I figure out a way to bring it to life.

I've also been working on the video tutorial and will let everyone know once it's done.

Thank you guys for all the support and encouragement!!!

You could have a theme on the skill or knowledge you want to share eg How to get a great job with out stress, Then do a small design like banner on Nairaland. Share it on social media, use as dp. Let interested participants or volunteers text yes to your phone number.

U can also post d banner on this thread.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

GSM Market, Maiduguri On Fire (Video) / Nigeria Ranked Sixth Globally In Access To Credit - Jumoke / Binance Users’ Assets Exceed $100 Billion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.