Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,266 members, 7,811,757 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 06:55 PM

Bible Readers: Which Bible Version Do U Prefer? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Bible Readers: Which Bible Version Do U Prefer? (1183 Views)

Which Bible Is The Inspired Word Of God ? / The Gay Bible Version / Which Bible Version Do You Prefer To Use And Why? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bible Readers: Which Bible Version Do U Prefer? by adetunrayo(f): 2:03pm On Jan 06, 2009
Bible Readers: Which Bible Version do u prefer?King James Version,New King James Version, Revised Standard Version,New World Translation etc

For me, I prefer King James,maybe its because am used to it anyway.
Re: Bible Readers: Which Bible Version Do U Prefer? by Tonyet1(m): 5:01pm On Jan 06, 2009
for me its the NLT (New living translation) TOPICAL Edition

woooow , it just makes me wanna read the scriptures everyday and nite, when i do read it, its as though those things i felt i have always known just comes afresh and so real, men that version is POSSESSED with some real stuffs grin

hope u aint using this for an online survey o!
Re: Bible Readers: Which Bible Version Do U Prefer? by Nobody: 6:33pm On Jan 06, 2009
adetunrayo:

Bible Readers: Which Bible Version do u prefer?King James Version,New King James Version, Revised Standard Version[b],New World Translation [/b] etc

What about the Old World Translation?
Re: Bible Readers: Which Bible Version Do U Prefer? by sheyee(m): 6:37pm On Jan 06, 2009
Are we suppose to prefer one to the other, Having different translations simply gives clear interpretations if you are not clear about a particular phrase or the context in which it is used.
Re: Bible Readers: Which Bible Version Do U Prefer? by Magz(m): 7:25pm On Jan 06, 2009
adetunrayo:

Bible Readers: Which Bible Version do u prefer?King James Version,New King James Version, Revised Standard Version,New World Translation etc

Well, I hope you know that the King James version is one of the LEAST ACCURATE translations of the original Hebrew Bible. It is very biased, and many things in it have been changed and obscured; Especially passages that relate to hell and servantry. Many meanings have been purposely changed and mistranslated in the King James version.

Anyways, I myself also study from the King James Bible (Because I do not know Greek or Hebrew), but I read very carefully and gaurdedly. The thing is that Christians have a habit of changing things and misquoting when it appeals to their best interest. For example, the Hebrew term "Sheoul", which means "Grave" is interpreted in many Bibles as "Hell". I.E., a scare tactic to force people into submission and acceptance of the Christian faith.

Furthermore, God had made it perfectly clear that his words are never to be altered or changed in the following:

Revelation 22:18-19, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book: And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.
Re: Bible Readers: Which Bible Version Do U Prefer? by babs787(m): 9:17pm On Jan 06, 2009
Revelation 22:18-19, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book: And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

True talk grin
Re: Bible Readers: Which Bible Version Do U Prefer? by JeSoul(f): 10:19pm On Jan 06, 2009
adetunrayo:

They all have their advantages and disadvantages. Like Tonye mentioned the NLT (and others like CEM) is very easy to read and understand because its in modern day english. The downside is that oftentimes these newer translations loose some of the power and authority of the words when you dumb it down from KJV.

As for me, my primary Bible is the NIV, not for any special reason, its just what I was taught with since sunday school and I stuck with it  smiley. The KJV is definitely a close 2nd.
Re: Bible Readers: Which Bible Version Do U Prefer? by AKO1(m): 10:24pm On Jan 06, 2009
I particularly like the Amplified Bibile because of the way it opens up the deeper interpretations of scripture. I read KJV most of the time for the same reason JeSoul gave, and Amp. when I don't really understand what is being said or when I want to get more insight.
Re: Bible Readers: Which Bible Version Do U Prefer? by Tonyet1(m): 11:02am On Jan 07, 2009
see why translations are preferred to the other:

check out translations on John 1:1

NIV : In the beginning was the word, and the word was with God and the word was God

KJV :In the beginning was the word, and the word was with God and the word was God

ASB :The deity of Christ was the in the beginning, and the word with God and the word was God

AB : In the beginning was the word, and the word was with God and the word was God himself

TLB: Before anything else existed, there was christ with God, he has always been alive and is himself God

NLT: in the beginning the word already existed. He was with God, and he was God

TEV: Before the world was created, the word already existed, he was with God, and he was the same as God

now dont u just love the translation by "THE LIVING BIBLE (TLB)" now that is why translations are just gr8
Re: Bible Readers: Which Bible Version Do U Prefer? by Ben13: 11:54am On Jan 07, 2009
King James is greatly read, so as I can't beat them I join them
Re: Bible Readers: Which Bible Version Do U Prefer? by olabowale(m): 8:48pm On Jan 07, 2009
@JeSoul: « #6 on: Yesterday at 10:19:10 PM »

What happens to the Bible "version" that was on ground before KJ? It or they become useless? You need to tell us.

They all have their advantages and disadvantages.

Should a book of guidance have any disadvantage? If it does, then it is not really a book of true guidance, hence the dis advantage.

Like Tonye mentioned the NLT (and others like CEM) is very easy to read and understand because its in modern day english.

I guess there most have been others written in old time English, based on your statement about the modern english of todays. Now what about what was written in the older languages before the olden days english? What about the Bible in the language of its revelations? What about the first compiled Bible? What about the leaves, as portions, revealed? Do you have any of these available, today? This is how you will be able to know that they are correct or corrupted.

The downside is that oftentimes these newer translations loose some of the power and authority of the words when you dumb it down from KJV.

I think every Bible will follow th same fate, except the exact revelation to the prophets. Is there any truth in what is called a "copy or version" except that it is a "Photocopy" of original, exactly. Do you have that? Do you remember the saying; " is it live or is it memorex?"

As for me, my primary Bible is the NIV, not for any special reason, its just what I was taught with since sunday school and I stuck with it . The KJV is definitely a close 2nd.

What position(s) are the ones before KJV? Say the Douwy, for the sake of argument? What about, the compiled book called "the first Bible" from the leaves containing the revelation or accounts, as they were happening? I hope you think about this possible "Bible?"

Could it be in the same exact content, textually, as what you have today? Did Jesus ever said, "there are 3 witnessing in heaven, ?"
Re: Bible Readers: Which Bible Version Do U Prefer? by olabowale(m): 8:58pm On Jan 07, 2009

ASB :The deity of Christ was the in the beginning, and the word with God and the word was God

AB : In the beginning was the word, and the word was with God and the word was God himself

TLB: Before anything else existed, there was christ with God, he has always been alive and is himself God

NLT: in the beginning the word already existed. He was with God, and he was God

TEV: Before the world was created, the word already existed, he was with God, and he was the same as God

So there were two who were not created? Jesus an "God?" What happened to the "Ghost?"
Interesting that when it comes to the effort of trying to patch Jesus to "God", the word "with" lost its meaning in the sentences. "With", should indicate separateness. It should have been that the "personage" called "God" is separate and apart from the personage called Jesus. if not then you will have to say that what happened to Jesus also happened to God. But we see that God does not at anytime behaves like human!

I wonder what where is the "ghost" in all of these?
Re: Bible Readers: Which Bible Version Do U Prefer? by JeSoul(f): 9:46pm On Jan 07, 2009
Ehen Alhaji you don come again  cheesy 
Abeg leave us alone to read our photocopied, memorexed, old-english, book of disadvantage.  grin Na you sabi, we like and love it just the way it is.

By the way Happy New year  kiss I hope you're looking to turn over a new faith leaf this year  grin . . . many of us are anticipating the day you accept Jesus Christ as Lord as savior of your life.
Re: Bible Readers: Which Bible Version Do U Prefer? by Ndipe(m): 11:07pm On Jan 07, 2009
I like the King James Version, because of the Respect accorded to God. Even when God is addressed in the pronoun form, the "H" is capitalized. Awesome!!!
Re: Bible Readers: Which Bible Version Do U Prefer? by kolaoloye(m): 3:37pm On Jan 22, 2009
New king James Version NKJ
Re: Bible Readers: Which Bible Version Do U Prefer? by Chookym(m): 5:28pm On Jan 22, 2009
Like King James Version. Am used to it.
Re: Bible Readers: Which Bible Version Do U Prefer? by ajadrage: 8:30pm On Jan 22, 2009
Any translation that renders the personal name of God, "Jehovah" and does not substitute it with terms like "Lord", "God",etc. . .
Re: Bible Readers: Which Bible Version Do U Prefer? by adetunrayo(f): 12:47pm On Jan 23, 2009
@ajadrage
R u a Jehovah witness?
Re: Bible Readers: Which Bible Version Do U Prefer? by Pepeye(f): 2:04pm On Jan 24, 2009
Love all but NIV sticks more with me kiss

(1) (Reply)

Can Someone Explain Exekiel 23: 20 To Me: I Need To Explain It To 12yr Old / This Dream Makes Me Afraid Wat Could Be The Meaning / Freethought Traditions In The Islamic World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.