Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,519 members, 7,836,978 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 03:16 PM

How Much Are Developers Paid - The Truth - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / How Much Are Developers Paid - The Truth (977 Views)

The Truth About Web Designers In Nigeria / The Truth About Unlimited Web Hosting Space / The Truth (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Much Are Developers Paid - The Truth by jeshurun07: 6:47pm On Jan 06, 2009
hi guys,
i want to know how much web developers are paid on the average in lagos. No lies, no hypes just the plain truth. I want only web developers to answer this.
cheesy
thanks
Re: How Much Are Developers Paid - The Truth by yawatide(f): 7:31pm On Jan 06, 2009
and you actually believe that people will post with the truth?  tongue undecided lipsrsealed

I don't live in lagos but given the high cost of living and the competition there, I would say nothing less than 60K - 80K for a basic informational website (usually 5 or 6 pages, complete with a "contact us" page), depending on your level of experience. Please note, when I say, "nothing less than", I am not saying you should charge within that range but that you should charge nothing less than prices within that range.

One cool way of finding out what your peers in the area are charging, though a little misleading IMHO, is by googling for web design firms in lagos, and checking out their packages. I said "misleading" earlier cos I have seen some site with prices starting at 15K, too small IMHO.

Good luck!
Re: How Much Are Developers Paid - The Truth by Afam4eva(m): 8:08pm On Jan 06, 2009
Is it for designing or developing a site.
Re: How Much Are Developers Paid - The Truth by Afam4eva(m): 8:10pm On Jan 06, 2009
I'm asking this because i've seen we designers collect 20thousand for a website. Feel it's too cheap.
Re: How Much Are Developers Paid - The Truth by yawatide(f): 8:37pm On Jan 06, 2009
refer to my original post for possible reasons. If you feel its too small and u r really good at what you do, then charge say 100K, see how clients respond, and then adjust your price moving forward accordingly.

good luck!
Re: How Much Are Developers Paid - The Truth by Nobody: 11:44pm On Jan 06, 2009
This is another place again where your portfolio comes into play. If you have developed/designed nice sites before, and you are popular - then u can charge higher - the first website ever that i designed, i charged 25K - and then i only knew some html, javascript and a little of PERL (Practical Extraction and Report Language) - a degenerate lang which has now been fully replaced by php. And that was the lowest i have charged.
Then this site too www.tacgsosa.org - someone else got it and begged me to do it for 35K - i sha did it to an extent and left it that way - uncompleted - and it seems the owners likes it that way. And yet i have done some sites not as tech as that tacgsosa.org for over 100K - so circumstances and lots of things go into play - in short there is no fixed prize when it comes to designing - it is how much you can siphon from your client that matters.

And again, it will be interesting to note that alot of stuffs i have been teaching here - chat and all that - i have them - various i have made years ago - but have not yet featured in any site i have done. In short, i don't use my full DHTML skills in projects - only the needed ones - because our Nigeria clients do not yet appreciate good programming on their websites - so sometimes i just do rubbish unless the client is paying me well - so quality is determined by amount as well.

If a client wants to pay me, say 60K to do a site - i will just download a template from somewhere and slot everything inside just like that making few modifications - like this site i made awhile ago http://www.bestbuyersonline.com/ - that was one day's job - cash and carry - i have almost even forgotten i made it - i just downloaded a template and edited the contents, add products, tie it to google checkout, o pa ri! Though the client wished to make some modifications here and there - i told him those modifications were beyond my skills [can u blv dat?]
Re: How Much Are Developers Paid - The Truth by OmniPotens(m): 4:56am On Jan 07, 2009
More skills-More Experience-Better Tools== More Money!

But any real developer charging below 60K this year, embarassed , if I hear you did and saw you anywhere on NL, BAN!

This calls for development in skills now. Don't think you are above adapting to new skills. If you think so, ask W3C to stop reviewing the standards and other languages too. Imagine if you were to do a web with Oracle + PHP and charge 20K, I'll be the one to come after you. BAD NAME and BAD MARKET for others. No Hard feelings ooo but just saying my mind.

Bros and Sis out here, let's work for the better and earn better.
Re: How Much Are Developers Paid - The Truth by Nobody: 5:35am On Jan 07, 2009
Last year - i decided to do a brush up on lots of areas - just so that the quality of my work may improve - i mean design - and i think i have improved somewhat - i just turned down a client who wants to make an enterprise site for 60K - i just redirected him to another more desperate web designer - i think i have gone beyond that - enterprise site for 60K?? And the client was asksing for portfolios, almost even asked for a demo sef? Can u beat that?
Re: How Much Are Developers Paid - The Truth by Nobody: 11:37am On Jan 07, 2009
yawa-ti-de:

refer to my original post for possible reasons. If you feel its too small and u r really good at what you do, then charge say 100K, see how clients respond, and then adjust your price moving forward accordingly.

good luck!

seconded

I turned down an order management software development on the 28th of Dec. last year, why?
he wanted the work delivered on the 5th of January, and does not want to  go any higher than 70K

so i will be coding while everyone's at the beach, galleria, parties, shows, church. for 70K?
if he had asked for this 2 years back, I would have accepted it with both arms

jeshurun07:

hi guys,
i want to know how much web developers are paid on the average in lagos. No lies, no hypes just the plain truth. I want only web developers to answer this.
cheesy
thanks
you want the truth?
these factors should affect what you charge

current status (are you a big boy?)
current pocket size
how many projects you are currently working on
what others may be charging
Quality of your portfolio if you have one

Note that if you have no portfolio, then you are in for it
Web dev is a field where portfolio gets you the job.

so think of working with friends who have good folios (careful here)
i remembered conducting an interview and the applicant presented a website of which i was part of the team that developed it.
i even have the password to the cpanel account
Re: How Much Are Developers Paid - The Truth by Nobody: 7:55pm On Jan 07, 2009
That is correct @dezzi - i agree 200% with you - if you have no portfolio - that is when clients will approach you with say 10K to do a job - but if u have at least an average portfolio - even if you are a small boy - like me for instance - them go fear fear - before they approach you with small moneee
Re: How Much Are Developers Paid - The Truth by Bossman(m): 10:38pm On Jan 07, 2009
From the look of things it sure seems like some clients want lots of stuff but do not want to pay for it. I can't believe some of the prices that these clients are offering. An an enterprise level application with a web front-end that talks to a relational database will cost a whole lot more. I wonder how much some of these companies will pay for such applications. As mentioned already, it will likely boil down to how you market yourself.

(1) (Reply)

The Best Hosting Company / Help Test Php Freedom Framework 2.0 Online / A Website For As Low As #500?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.