Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,130 members, 7,814,947 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:21 AM

National Assembly Severance Package To Gulp N2.8bn - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / National Assembly Severance Package To Gulp N2.8bn (15793 Views)

Rivers Golden Jubilee Celebration To Gulp N1.5 Billion / Buhari Invites Newspaper Editors. "A Package" To Be Given Out - Sahara Reporters / Jonathan’s Ministers Lose Severance Package (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

National Assembly Severance Package To Gulp N2.8bn by Meiji(m): 2:44pm On Feb 19, 2015

Commit constitutional breach, sit less than 181 days

The severance package for members of the seventh National Assembly, whose tenure ends on May 29 this year, will cost the nation a whopping N2.8billion.

The amount is, however, exclusive of the sum to be paid to the lawmakers’ political aides who will also be exiting the service with their principals.

Severance package or gratuity is the amount paid to the lawmakers after their successful four-year tenure in office as elected politicians.

It is not only the lawmakers that are entitled to the package, their political aides also benefit from it.

The aides to the lawmakers vary in number, depending on whether the lawmaker is a presiding officer like the Senate President or his deputy or the Speaker of the House of Representatives or his deputy or whether the lawmaker is one of the principal officers of the parliament.

In the case of the presiding officers, they have coterie of aides, which may be up to 20 persons for each officer.

Findings by National Mirror at the Revenue Mobilisation Allocation and Fiscal Commission, RMAFC, Abuja, showed that the severance gratuity was one of the financial packages approved by the commission for the lawmakers.

The severance package is arrived at by calculating 300 per cent of the lawmakers’ annual basic salaries.

This formula formed part of the current remuneration package for political, public and judicial office holders designed by RMAFC in June 2007.

Each senator, whose annual basic salaries is put at N2,026,400.00, will, therefore, be entitled to a severance package of N6,079,200.00 (i.e. 300 per cent of the basic salary).

However, as presiding officers, the annual basic salaries of the Senate President and the Deputy Senate President differ from those of the other senators.

For the Senate President, his annual basic salary is put at N2, 484, 242.50 while that of the deputy is N2, 309,166.75.

So, while the severance package of each of the 107 senators is N6, 079, 200.00, that of the Senate President is N7, 452, 727.50 and that of the Deputy Senate President is N6, 927, 500.25.

The total severance package for the Senate, therefore, amounts to N664, 854, 627m.

In the case of the House of Representatives, the basic annual salary of the Speaker is put at N2, 477, 110 which brings his severance package to N7, 431, 330.00, while the Deputy Speaker’s annual basic salary is N2, 287, 034.55 and severance package of N6, 861,102.75.

For the rest other 358 members of the House, each of their annual basic salary is N1, 985, 212.50, translating to N5, 955, 637.00 as severance package.

While the severance packages to the lawmakers will be paid directly from the consolidated revenue of the federation, those of their aides will be charged from the purse of the National Assembly.

Efforts by National Mirror to obtain the amount due to the political aides to the lawmakers were frustrated by the bureaucracy of the National Assembly. The officials insisted that such information should be supplied by the National Assembly Service Commission.

However, at the commission, the officials maintained that such information was the prerogative of the accounts department of the National Assembly.

They explained that the statutory role of the commission started and ended with employment, training, promotion and discipline of the staff of the National Assembly.

[b]Meanwhile, the current seventh session of the National Assembly are clearly on the path of the violation of the 1999 Federal Republic of Nigeria Constitution, which requires the lawmakers to sit for a minimum period of 181 days in a year.

Investigations carried out by the National Mirror revealed that while members of the House of Representatives have sat for only 57 days, beginning from June 6, 2014 when the current session was birthed, the senate on its part has sat for about 78 days only so far.

Although the current legislative year is expected to come to an end in the first week of June this year, evidence has shown that there is no way the lawmakers will be able to make the required statutory sitting sessions before the end of the life of the current lawmakers, given the line-up of the elections in March and April.

Section 63 of the 1999 Constitution states that, “The Senate and the House of Representatives shall each sit for a period not less than one hundred and eighty one days in a year.”[/b]

In the past, the lawmakers had often justified their inability to meet this constitutional provision by arguing that the constitutional requirement includes the days they (lawmakers) sit in committees.

In fact, both the House and senate rules define sitting as, “A period during which the House/Senate is sitting continuously without adjournment and this includes any period, during which the House/Senate is in committee.”

For the current legislative year, it is clear that from June 6, 2014 when the lawmakers were sworn in, only a few of the committees has ever sat sparingly till date.

For instance, from June 6, last year, when the current legislative year came into effect, the lawmakers sat for 21 days after which they commenced their annual long vacation on July 18 and resumed September 12.

The lawmakers were to commence another round of break on October 28, 2014 after sitting for just 15 days to enable them prosecute their primary elections nationwide.

In the case of the House of Representatives, October 28 was the day the Speaker, Hon. Aminu Tambuwal announced his decampment to the opposition All Progressive Congress (APC) and shut the House until December 3.

While the senate was able to resume that December 3 and continued sitting till December 16, the day it received the 2015 budget proposal from the Coordinating Minister and Finance Minister Dr. Ngozi Oknjo-Iweala and commenced its Christmas and New Year breaks, the House, which failed to resume all the while merely reconvened same December 16, received the budget proposal and returned back to its indefinite break.

Again, when the National Assembly resumed from its Christmas and New Year holidays on January 13, the lawmakers merely sat for just two days, read the 2015 budget proposal for the second time, passed it to the committee on Finance and Appropriation and vamoosed again for another one month break to enable them participate in the originally scheduled Presidential and National Assembly elections for February 14.

As the lawmakers commenced the last break, the impression was given that the Finance and Appropriation committees of both chambers of the parliament would continue committee work on the budget. But the truth of the matter is that none of the lawmakers stayed back to do any work on the budget.

When National Mirror sought to know the state of the budget from one of the committee members last two weeks, the senator was short of cursing the correspondent, retorting, “Now I know that you are one of those wishing me to fail so that I would not return back to the senate. You want me to be working on the budget when my colleagues are in the battle field struggling to see how they will win their own elections back to the senate. I wish you are near reach now so that I crack that your coconut head.”

One of the directors in the National Assembly who spoke with National Mirror on this matter blamed the none compliance with the constitutional provision on the constitution itself, which he observed, fails to provide for consequences for the breach of the law.

The director who sought anonymity explained that one way of addressing the constitutional lacuna is through constitutional amendment whereby violation of the provision should be regarded as gross misconduct, which should attract a well defined sanction or reprimand.

He noted that if suspension is prescribed, constituent members of any affected lawmaker will likely protest such suspension as amounting to none representation for the people.

http://nationalmirroronline.net/new/lawmakers-severance-package-to-gulp-n2-8bn/

2 Likes

Re: National Assembly Severance Package To Gulp N2.8bn by Meiji(m): 2:46pm On Feb 19, 2015
While we abuse Jonathan day and night, calling him names like "failed president", "drunkard", "Otueke fisherman" etc... can we also spare some abuse for the collective failure called the Nigerian National Assembly?

55 Likes 2 Shares

Re: National Assembly Severance Package To Gulp N2.8bn by Meiji(m): 2:52pm On Feb 19, 2015
While we're at it, can we also ask these legis-looters why:

1) They failed to meet the constitutional requirement of 181 days in session in a year?

2) Important bills like the PIB and the Climate Change Bill remain in the doldrums?

3) Legislators who are returning (reelected) to the National Assembly should be entitled to a "severance package"?

4) Legislative aides should be paid from the national budget?

5) They deserve to be paid 300% severance package (I mean, who earns that)?

6) They should be paid so much for doing so little?

...rather than shouting Jonathan, Jonathan like he's the sole problem with Nigeria?

44 Likes 3 Shares

Re: National Assembly Severance Package To Gulp N2.8bn by Meiji(m): 2:55pm On Feb 19, 2015
I know the NL partisan crowd will not comment on this thread since it doesn't talk specifically about Jonathan or Buhari or about PDP and APC. Apparently BOTH parties are perfectly satisfied with the status quo. Yet our gullible people will line up and take bullets for their "rock star" politicians who don't give a toss about them or their future.

We are a naïve, shallow, credulous people.

38 Likes 2 Shares

Re: National Assembly Severance Package To Gulp N2.8bn by ozo13(m): 3:06pm On Feb 19, 2015
grin nice observation
Meiji:
I know the NL partisan crowd will not comment on this thread since it doesn't talk specifically about Jonathan or Buhari or about PDP and APC. Apparently BOTH parties are perfectly satisfied with the status quo. Yet our gullible people will line up and take bullets for their "rock star" politicians who don't give a toss about them or their future.

2 Likes

Re: National Assembly Severance Package To Gulp N2.8bn by fitzmayowa: 4:11pm On Feb 19, 2015
We want to tackle wastage and corruption indeed, when our law makers make corruption legal...SMH

Everyone agrees PDP is corrupt, but our so called "CHANGE and PROGRESSIVE" agent why are they not speaking against something like this...SMH

This just proves one thing whether PDP or APC they are birds of a feather...SMH

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: National Assembly Severance Package To Gulp N2.8bn by dein77(m): 4:15pm On Feb 19, 2015
The National Assembly is one of the major clogs on our wheel of progress.

They do almost nothing but receives insulting gigantic amounts as salaries.

5 Likes

Re: National Assembly Severance Package To Gulp N2.8bn by Meiji(m): 4:19pm On Feb 19, 2015
When National Mirror sought to know the state of the budget from one of the committee members last two weeks, the senator was short of cursing the correspondent, retorting, “Now I know that you are one of those wishing me to fail so that I would not return back to the senate. You want me to be working on the budget when my colleagues are in the battle field struggling to see how they will win their own elections back to the senate. I wish you are near reach now so that I crack that your coconut head.”

Ladies and gentlemen, a Senator of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: National Assembly Severance Package To Gulp N2.8bn by dandydrey(m): 4:49pm On Feb 19, 2015
Na wa o.. Meanwhile, somewhere in Nigeria

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: National Assembly Severance Package To Gulp N2.8bn by Zico5(m): 4:49pm On Feb 19, 2015
When the head is rust, the whole of the body will be on fire. What do u expect from these set of looters when they see how the president himself is wallowing in corruption,stealing from every corner. It is the time for Nigerians to wake up cos the destiny of this country is our hands and no matter how powerful these people may look, we gave them the power and we have the right to retrieve it back. We must not continue this way cos the destiny of our children unborn is at stake. Let's rise up and send these people back to where they came from. They have no pity for us so they deserve no mercy. Whatever they bring, collect it and vote them out. Enough is enough, we deserve better than this. Gej should know that the end will justify the mean.

4 Likes

Re: National Assembly Severance Package To Gulp N2.8bn by Pavore9: 4:49pm On Feb 19, 2015
Sighs...
Re: National Assembly Severance Package To Gulp N2.8bn by gen2briz(m): 4:50pm On Feb 19, 2015
God bless Nigeria

1 Like

Re: National Assembly Severance Package To Gulp N2.8bn by uken73(m): 4:50pm On Feb 19, 2015
Hmm. And they just added pension.
Meanwhile approving reasonable wages for civil servants would be a difficult thing.
These excess money in politics is what makes people willing to die or kill others to get there.
SMH.

5 Likes

Re: National Assembly Severance Package To Gulp N2.8bn by Nobody: 4:52pm On Feb 19, 2015
Meiji:

Very well said.
Most of the problems in the polity are structural issues set up by the constitution.

2 Likes

Re: National Assembly Severance Package To Gulp N2.8bn by abigal101: 4:53pm On Feb 19, 2015
sadNawaooooh!hmmmm!!
Re: National Assembly Severance Package To Gulp N2.8bn by j4sure(m): 4:54pm On Feb 19, 2015
ok. Naija will be good Again. Ego better

Re: National Assembly Severance Package To Gulp N2.8bn by seunwen2(m): 4:57pm On Feb 19, 2015
[size=32pt]package bawo[/size]
Re: National Assembly Severance Package To Gulp N2.8bn by DonTeamie(m): 4:57pm On Feb 19, 2015
Sighs..

BookSpacing
Re: National Assembly Severance Package To Gulp N2.8bn by Nobody: 4:58pm On Feb 19, 2015
And they said GEJ is the only corrupt leader Nigeria has...How I wish law making becomes a voluntary work where those assembly members aren't paid

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: National Assembly Severance Package To Gulp N2.8bn by Nobody: 5:00pm On Feb 19, 2015
Join Scribespad at www.scribespad.com and stand a chance to win a fantastic prize on our anniverssary. Scribespad is Nigeria's first online writing and reading community, also with an avenue for socializing.
Join Scribespad today, be active, post stories and create discussions and you will stand a chance to win big on our anniverssary.

If you are registering with a phone, please use any other browser apart from OPERA.

Scribespad will also reward the first 50 people to register, so hurry and make it count.
Re: National Assembly Severance Package To Gulp N2.8bn by Dyt(f): 5:00pm On Feb 19, 2015
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Re: National Assembly Severance Package To Gulp N2.8bn by hahn(m): 5:01pm On Feb 19, 2015
While we are busy looking for Buhari's certificate or calling GEJ clueless(amongst other things), I really believe we should call for the reduction of the salaries of these people at least by 80%.

How can we start?

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: National Assembly Severance Package To Gulp N2.8bn by Akby(m): 5:02pm On Feb 19, 2015
I weep for Nigeria

1 Like

Re: National Assembly Severance Package To Gulp N2.8bn by Nobody: 5:02pm On Feb 19, 2015
Like I always say,the problem of Nigeria isn't the presidency alone. These overpaid agbada wearing mofos are responsible for many of Nigeria's woes.. 1/4 of the country's budget is used in pampering them all year round.. What do they do exactly? Asides jumping fence?

That House of theives and Useless Senate chamber should be locked up.. I bet most Nigerians don't even know the name of their representatives.. They are irrelevant and don't do sh1t..

The constitution should make the legislative arm a part time job & for professionals or anyone who has a career..

11 Likes

Re: National Assembly Severance Package To Gulp N2.8bn by JAZES(m): 5:03pm On Feb 19, 2015
This country is done for i swear, corruption everywhere.
Re: National Assembly Severance Package To Gulp N2.8bn by Nobody: 5:04pm On Feb 19, 2015
How I wish the 1999 constitution created only a unicameral legislature. The overheads would have been significantly lower than its present state.
Does Nigeria, which is less than half of the USA population, and with far less riches, really need 469 federal legislators?

4 Likes

Re: National Assembly Severance Package To Gulp N2.8bn by Lildrizzle(m): 5:05pm On Feb 19, 2015
APC e bois will blame Jonathan for this .

2 Likes

Re: National Assembly Severance Package To Gulp N2.8bn by Viktor1983(m): 5:06pm On Feb 19, 2015
Meiji:

hahn:
While we are busy looking for Buhari's certificate or calling GEJ clueless(amongst other things), I really believe we should call for the reduction of the salaries of these people at least by 80%.

How can we start?

The legislooters forget party affiliations once u mention salary reduction ......

6 Likes

Re: National Assembly Severance Package To Gulp N2.8bn by dokyOloye: 5:08pm On Feb 19, 2015
The house of reps is led by a "progressive,
why did he not oppose such hefty allowances for a few ppl in d midst of all d poverty in d land?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: National Assembly Severance Package To Gulp N2.8bn by kennydee05(m): 5:08pm On Feb 19, 2015
Thieves,
Ole!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

We Are One Step Closer To Victory, Peter Obi Advises Nigerians To Get Their PVC / CBN Denies Naira Devaluation / Ambassador Campbell’s Curious Defense Of Buhari’s Corrupt Aso Rock Cabal -Farook

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.