Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,256 members, 7,818,876 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:06 AM

Where Are Nigerians In Australia . - Travel (30) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Where Are Nigerians In Australia . (235987 Views)

So There Are Nigerians That Fly From Lagos To London Then To Abuja Than Direct? / Nigerians In The Desert Trying To Travel To Europe / Can Students Work To Pay Tuition In Australia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) ... (41) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by mctowel01: 6:03am On May 07, 2017
WellEndowed:

Bitte (my German is rusty now) embarassed. I had to call the Bundesamt für Justiz in Bonn recently after trying too hard to speak German fluently I just asked them to please transfer me to someone that speaks English embarassed

I lived in Bonn so I can only speak for that area ONLY. I never lived in Hamburg so I don't know much about that place and you are right, they could be lots of jobs there. Same way someone is complaining of lack of menial jobs in Adelaide is the same way someone in Western Australia, Melbourne or Queensland is thanking God for getting a job a few weeks after they arrived. Some cities/states are just more difficult than others.

Every new migrant will always face challenges in a foreign country especially if you don't have any relative there. I didn't struggle like the others because I had siblings who had lived in Australia for years. I had no relative in Germany. I came into Australia in January 22nd of one year and started work March 3rd...I was a student at the time. In fact during school holidays I had three jobs, one at Woolworths(working at the deli), one at an aged care home(I worked more there) and the other at the hospital cool. There are people who moved to Australia last year and got small small jobs to live by and there are some in some states who are struggling to get one.

Looking back at my life in Germany and the one here in Australia, I am glad I do not live in Germany anymore

Let's talk here. Others might learn a thing or two. I can talk about living in Australia as a new migrant.
Hi, thanks for sharing your experiences. I hope we ll still see you here iften, as I am a soon to be migrant to Australia on PR. What city did you stay in when you got the jobs and can you share any noteworthy challenges involved?

1 Like

Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by yoctek: 6:29am On May 07, 2017
WellEndowed:

Let's talk here. Others might learn a thing or two. I can talk about living in Australia as a new migrant.
Could you please advise on state(s) with the best chances of securing telecommunications related jobs. I am a telecom eng'r and will be arriving Australia soon on a PR (189) visa.
Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by Nobody: 7:01am On May 07, 2017
mctowel01:

Hi, thanks for sharing your experiences. I hope we ll still see you here iften, as I am a soon to be migrant to Australia on PR. What city did you stay in when you got the jobs and can you share any noteworthy challenges involved?

I stayed in Western Australia. Having lived in WA, Victoria and Queensland, I have to say WA is one of (in fact if not the highest) paying state.

I honestly never struggled for jobs or to pay my fees (one of the benefits of being the last born in my family. That was taken care of). I didn't even have a car initially. My brother used to take me to work and pick me up. For school I made "'convenient' friends and would hitch a ride or two or three, or... cool

I honestly think there are more jobs in WA than any state in Australia.

I was there as a student, I think the challenge I might have experienced was figuring out how to get my PR. I always advise students to choose courses that have a minimum of 2 years duration. You stand a better chance at getting your PR that way.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by Nobody: 7:04am On May 07, 2017
yoctek:

Could you please advise on state(s) with the best chances of securing telecommunications related jobs. I am a telecom eng'r and will be arriving Australia soon on a PR (189) visa.

Some telecom engineers are based in the eastern states but honestly you can find a job anywhere. Many Indians with your kind of degree are in Perth
Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by Nobody: 7:05am On May 07, 2017
Oh you guys make sure you com with your Nigerian License. You will definitely need it
Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by princessayinke: 7:12am On May 07, 2017
Hello all. Pls can anyone refer me to a physiotherapist that can guide me through the application for skills assessment withbthe physiotherapy council. I am sooooooooo confused at this stage. And i don't want tommake a mistake. It costs so much
Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by Bnimz(m): 9:45am On May 07, 2017
yoctek:
Long time.. you've gotten your grant? stopped seeing your comments on the other thread
Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by foreverkind1(m): 9:57am On May 07, 2017
WellEndowed:

Hi. Gold coast? you will find plenty Zimbabweans students there. There are also Nigerians there. It depends on the kind of job you are looking for. Yes you need a car, you can go/work anywhere

When school is on 3 months holiday? yes. When school is in session? No/difficult.

Real life example. In mid 2009, I knew a guy who was studying the diploma of Nursing course. The fees were slightly above 7k per semester. He got a job as a carer in a nursing home (YES I know/have heard of many students who work/ed in aged care homes cheesy). Due to the 40hours/fortnight condition on his visa, he worked casual and was making about 22dollars per hour. When he worked weekends his fortnight pay was around $1000-1300... On school holidays from December to February, he worked(unlimited hours) mornings at the aged care and a couple of afternoons/week as a cleaner. The aged care alone used to fetch him over 2k per fortnight. He saved that one for school fees. The money he got from the cleaning was what he used to pay some bills (accommodation/transport/feeding)

Thanks, what do you think about making hair for people, liking fixing etc and selling of wig. Is it cool?
Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by Nobody: 10:02am On May 07, 2017
foreverkind1:

Thanks, what do you think about making hair for people, liking fixing etc and selling of wig. Is it cool?

Good business once you have your customer base. I know of a Zimbabwean who paid $300 for a wig
Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by yoctek: 10:04am On May 07, 2017
WellEndowed:

Some telecom engineers are based in the eastern states but honestly you can find a job anywhere. Many Indians with your kind of degree are in Perth

I was actually researching on "where/how to live in NSW or Victoria", guess I have to start checking out WA too.

Many thanks!

Bnimz:
Long time.. you've gotten your grant? stopped seeing your comments on the other thread

Bro, direct grant landed on Tuesday 2/5/17.......What stage are you now?
Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by Bnimz(m): 10:13am On May 07, 2017
yoctek:
congrats. lodged 14th Feb... They are taking their time... .... you should drop a timeline on the thread.. it has become like a tradition to encourage others

1 Like

Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by foreverkind1(m): 10:35am On May 07, 2017
WellEndowed:

Good business once you have your customer base. I know of a Zimbabwean who paid $300 for a wig

Thanks dear. How can one increase customer base over there ? Complimentary card nko?
Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by mctowel01: 10:59am On May 07, 2017
yoctek:

I was actually researching on "where/how to live in NSW or Victoria", guess I have to start checking out WA too.

Many thanks!

congrats bro... When did you lodge?
Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by ugsams(m): 12:08pm On May 07, 2017
WellEndowed:

Thanks for your contributions to the thread. Please do you have an idea of the Oil and Gas industry in Australia?
Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by Nobody: 12:28pm On May 07, 2017
ugsams:

Thanks for your contributions to the thread. Please do you have an idea of the Oil and Gas industry in Australia?

Difficult to get in but whatever you do, focus on WA. That's the oil and gas state
Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by yoctek: 12:30pm On May 07, 2017
mctowel01:

congrats bro... When did you lodge?

Thanks bro.
I lodged on 8th Feb, 2017.

Bnimz:
congrats. lodged 14th Feb... They are taking their time... dont really care though, wont leave uk till August anyway .... you should drop a timeline on the thread.. it has become like a tradition to encourage others

Your grant is surely on the way. Mine took close to 3 months without any CO contact.
Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by Nobody: 12:34pm On May 07, 2017
foreverkind1:

Thanks dear. How can one increase customer base over there ? Complimentary card nko?

Complimentary card ke? Just tell 1 or 2 africans you make hair. Make good hair on them and watch them spread the gospel on your behalf grin

There is this salon in Perth cbd that charge up to 400 dollars for braids shocked

Don't charge that much as a newbie ooo. Just start with minimum 150 and work your way up

1 Like

Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by yoctek: 1:15pm On May 07, 2017
WellEndowed:

Please, I want you to share some insight on the bold in relation to my case as stated below:

I work as a telecom eng'r in Nigeria and got PR visa for my family of five (myself, wify and 3 children). However, I may not be able to raise enough cash needed to transport my entire family and settle properly in Australia. I have therefore decided to make the initial move alone (I'll be traveling by the end of this month), while my family joins later (our IED is 7th February, 2018).

Now to my question - Do you consider this a workable plan? I am aware that I may not get a professional job immediately. Is it then possible to get a menial job with which I would be able to pay my bills and save enough money to transport my family and settle in before the IED?

I solicit as many inputs as possible.

Thanks.
Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by Alphadoor: 1:51pm On May 07, 2017
Bnimz:
congrats. lodged 14th Feb... They are taking their time... dont really care though, wont leave uk till August anyway .... you should drop a timeline on the thread.. it has become like a tradition to encourage others

Very well needed
@yoctek pls do in the other thread
Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by yoctek: 4:22pm On May 07, 2017
Alphadoor:

Very well needed
@yoctek pls do in the other thread

Done.
Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by mamajaz(f): 7:37pm On May 07, 2017
smileySee all my fomilik members here...
Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by Nobody: 11:16pm On May 07, 2017
yoctek:

Please, I want you to share some insight on the bold in relation to my case as stated below:

I work as a telecom eng'r in Nigeria and got PR visa for my family of five (myself, wify and 3 children). However, I may not be able to raise enough cash needed to transport my entire family and settle properly in Australia. I have therefore decided to make the initial move alone (I'll be traveling by the end of this month), while my family joins later (our IED is 7th February, 2018).

Now to my question - Do you consider this a workable plan? I am aware that I may not get a professional job immediately. Is it then possible to get a menial job with which I would be able to pay my bills and save enough money to transport my family and settle in before the IED?

I solicit as many inputs as possible.

Thanks.

Aha. Yes it is workable.

1. Does wifey work in Naija?

2. How old are your kids?

Let me tell you what I tell new migrants trying to work and save money....Move to a regional town. There are more jobs and easy access to getting these jobs in regional area...problem is you might not get a job as a telecom engineer there (depending on the regional area you find yourself in). Even I lived in regional area for yearsssssss. You work, you save and rent in most of these regional areas are cheaper than in a city. Because people do not like to live in these places, there are jobs. I was reading somewhere on the Australian thread about a migrant who moved to regional QLD and got a job working at Telstra quite quickly....the biggest mobile company in the country.

Find a regional area that has the basic things you need. You can even buy things online. I shop groceries online these days embarassed .Whatever you do, never stop applying online for jobs in your area of speciality (telecom engineering).

If you want your family to join you and you want to save money to bring them, try regional area. Work there for sometime and when you have saved enough, pack your bags and move to a city

Two ways you can do this. Stay regional save and when it's almost time for family to come over you can either

1. Start looking for a job in the city and pray you get one just before they land. If you find a job, start looking for a place in a suburb away from the city....you will find houses cheaper there and prepare for your family's arrival

2. Continue to live in regional. Fly your family over and wifey get's a job. You both save

Cities are fun to be in. There is just so much you can do on your days off. Sightseeing and window shopping and it's busy and exciting.. like Lagos lipsrsealed but there is time for everything. You will get to enjoy these things once you and your family settle

Overall it is your decision at the end of the day what you wanna do, but if you are going to be sending money back home to your family, you need to find a place where you can work and save at the same time.

It will be rough initially..but I promise you, it will be worth it. Australia truly is an amazing country cool. Oh forget about racism. There are fair here (speaking for myself). Where I work now, I am the first black person to have the position I have now. I didn't get to where I am now in a day...but I got here eventually. I have a sibling who is a Geologist and is currently holding a senior managerial role at Rio Tinto, he is also black.. like you and I.

It is well kiss

5 Likes

Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by Nobody: 11:38pm On May 07, 2017
mamajaz:
smileySee all my fomilik members here...

mamajazz you don reach hia cheesy

1 Like

Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by yoctek: 11:55pm On May 07, 2017
WellEndowed:

Aha. Yes it is workable.

Let me tell you what I tell new migrants trying to work and save money....Move to a regional town. There are more jobs and easy access to getting these jobs in regional area...problem is you might not get a job as a telecom engineer there (depending on the regional area you find yourself in). Even I lived in regional area for yearsssssss. You work, you save and rent in most of these regional areas are cheaper than in a city. Because people do not like to live in these places, there are jobs. I was reading somewhere on the Australian thread about a migrant who moved to regional QLD and got a job working at Telstra quite quickly....the biggest mobile company in the country.

Find a regional area that has the basic things you need. You can even buy things online. I shop groceries online these days embarassed .Whatever you do, never stop applying online for jobs in your area of speciality (telecom engineering).

If you want your family to join you and you want to save money to bring them, try regional area. Work there for sometime and when you have saved enough, pack your bags and move to a city

Two ways you can do this. Stay regional save and when it's almost time for family to come over you can either

1. Start looking for a job in the city and pray you get one just before they land. If you find a job, start looking for a place in a suburb away from the city....you will find houses cheaper there and prepare for your family's arrival

2. Continue to live in regional. Fly your family over and wifey get's a job. You both save

Cities are fun to be in. There is just so much you can do on your days off. Sightseeing and window shopping and it's busy and exciting.. like Lagos lipsrsealed but there is time for everything. You will get to enjoy these things once you and your family settle

Overall it is your decision at the end of the day what you wanna do, but if you are going to be sending money back home to your family, you need to find a place where you can work and save at the same time.

It will be rough initially..but I promise you, it will be worth it. Australia truly is an amazing country cool. Oh forget about racism. There are fair here (speaking for myself). Where I work now, I am the first black person to have the position I have now. I didn't get to where I am now in a day...but I got here eventually. I have a sibling who is a Geologist and is currently holding a senior managerial role at Rio Tinto, he is also black.. like you and I.

It is well kiss

Thank you so much, I sincerely appreciate your time. I'm also delighted to know it's possible to go this route cos I've got no alternative.

Many thanks.
Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by yoctek: 1:05am On May 08, 2017
WellEndowed:

Aha. Yes it is workable.

She runs her own business

4, 6 & 9 years old

Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by lakola: 1:14am On May 08, 2017
Good day @well endowed I intend coming in for a masters in animal science, please are there jobs in the agricultural sector over there
Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by Nobody: 1:30am On May 08, 2017
@yoctek

Good age. They still have some years of high school to go through before Uni. Good thing is they can attend uni with HEC(Google) ...Whatever you do, get your citizenship before high school. Only citizens and people with humanitarian PR can access HECS. Else you will be paying thousands per semester for fees

lakola:
Good day @well endowed I intend coming in for a masters in animal science, please are there jobs in the agricultural sector over there

Hmmm. What is your first degree in? can you step away from agriculture? it will be a challenge to get a job in that field. Don't know much but I don't think the future is bright there. You see not every occupation in the skilled occupation list is REALLY on demand. If it helps I knew some Ghanaians who managed farms in WA. They actually brought relatives through that route

What do you do for a living? do you work? are you eligible for skilled migration? it might be cheaper that way if you are eligible

1 Like

Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by lakola: 1:35am On May 08, 2017
im a fresh graduate Sir, what other fields can Someone move to and is it possible to convert masters to a bsc?? My first degree is in animal science

Hmmm. What is your first degree in? can you step away from agriculture? it will be a challenge to get a job in that field. Don't know much but I don't think the future is bright there. If it helps I know some Ghanaians who manage farms here. They actually brought relative through that route

What do you do for a living? do you work? are you eligible for skilled migration? it might be cheaper that way if you are eligible[/quote]

1 Like

Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by Nobody: 1:36am On May 08, 2017
Fresh graduate in what?

I think it is still on the skilled list and you might get your PR through that route after masters BUT you need a job to up your point. Getting that job could be a challenge
Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by Nobody: 1:44am On May 08, 2017
@lakola

Google the skilled occupation list. If agricultural engineer/scientist is still on the list, then consider those two for masters

Whatever you do, find an occupation on the skilled list
Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by lakola: 1:52am On May 08, 2017
thank you very much

Google the skilled occupation list. If agricultural engineer/scientist is still on the list, then consider those two for masters

Whatever you do, find an occupation on the skilled list[/quote]
Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by mamajaz(f): 4:02am On May 08, 2017
WellEndowed:

mamajazz you don reach hia cheesy
Yes nah, I don try gather documents for registration tire, nah him Ai come remember say Jamson told me about a particular nurseafrica sometimes ago, ai come searched him out yesterday. To my amazement, all my family members dem dey here.
How far, the whole thing for nursing don taya me Jere. Make I kuku pm you sharperly.

(1) (2) (3) ... (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) ... (41) (Reply)

Nigerians At Ukraine / Anyone Studying In Belgium? / Turkey Visa Application Delay

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.