Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,892 members, 7,828,157 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 03:39 AM

Civil Society Help Stop Plot By Lagos Govt, World Bank To Privatise Water - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Civil Society Help Stop Plot By Lagos Govt, World Bank To Privatise Water (9073 Views)

#LagosAt50: Foot-Like Statue At Berger Erected By Lagos State Government / Dokpesi Demands Solitary Confinement Against Assasination Plot By Tinubu-Wazobia / APC, PDP, Civil Society, INEC Disagreed Over Card Reader Performance In Kano (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Civil Society Help Stop Plot By Lagos Govt, World Bank To Privatise Water by Eladua(m): 7:47pm On Feb 19, 2015
Some ppl wl blame APC for this o

1 Like

Re: Civil Society Help Stop Plot By Lagos Govt, World Bank To Privatise Water by Chartey(m): 7:47pm On Feb 19, 2015
richidinho:

Thunder pire u

Wat are the basic needs of man

We must send these APC goats to whr they belong come March 28; April 11
Food and clothing are basic too. Do you get them for free? Them bring prepaid metre come my area, now people dey even off security light for night. All those ppl wey dey use grinding machine and iceblock-making machine spoil light everyday don stop. Now we dey get full current. We must pay for what we use.

2 Likes

Re: Civil Society Help Stop Plot By Lagos Govt, World Bank To Privatise Water by Sibrah: 7:49pm On Feb 19, 2015
Let the Lagos state govt step up and provide water. It os one of the things a densely populated state like Lagos should be able to provide.
Re: Civil Society Help Stop Plot By Lagos Govt, World Bank To Privatise Water by Nobody: 8:08pm On Feb 19, 2015
aanumama:

all in the name of FTC, smh.

Dey gbam oh angry
Re: Civil Society Help Stop Plot By Lagos Govt, World Bank To Privatise Water by Laid2001: 8:30pm On Feb 19, 2015
aww
Re: Civil Society Help Stop Plot By Lagos Govt, World Bank To Privatise Water by ceejay80s(m): 8:41pm On Feb 19, 2015
aanumama:
If they can privatize it and give us good water, then I fully support it.
What's the essence of the water we have now and you can't drink freely from the tap without the fear of disease gripping you.

Its as if u don't know the country u live in, what makes u think the water will be clean for drinking after it has been privatized?
see wetin hapen with nepa
Re: Civil Society Help Stop Plot By Lagos Govt, World Bank To Privatise Water by mbulela: 8:45pm On Feb 19, 2015
saintneo:
First things first, the rate at which people reserve space on the zeroth page of an important thread is getting alarm. I think a moderator should do the needful. Attention: seun, ishilove, etc.

On the main matter at hand, I think the Civil Society got this one wrong. There are very very very very few places in Lagos with pipe-borne water supplied by Lagos Water Corporation. Over 90% of houses in Lagos State do not have water provided by the utility company. Water supply requires huge investments and dedicated management; consequently, privatisation is the perfect solution. If the Civil Society is interested in ensuring that the poor get their fair share, then they should fight to make Lagos State Government to provide water subsidy for the poor using water stamps.

Yo add to your point, we could even have residents on elite parts of the city subsidize the supply to the poorer areas. II and only if the quality of the water distributed can be guaranteed. As it stands even the 10 percent you mentioned dare not drink the water coming into their homes.
However another truth is thay if we pay for water too,the only free thing remaining will be air. another side of the coin is why not privatize if you can guarantee quality and city wide supply? The problem with these people is even when they sign an undertaking for such caveats,they will charge without delivering and refuse to return to the status quo.
Re: Civil Society Help Stop Plot By Lagos Govt, World Bank To Privatise Water by Nobody: 8:55pm On Feb 19, 2015
Lagos again??
Re: Civil Society Help Stop Plot By Lagos Govt, World Bank To Privatise Water by hush15: 9:20pm On Feb 19, 2015
dhardline:
Before Tinubu became the governor of Lagos state we had tap water running in our compound,few months after he became the governor we stopped getting water from water cooperation till date.we had to rely on meruwa then later had to dig a borehole and i can see that that is not enough for him (my mind tells me this is his brain child)now he wants to enslave lagosians by controlling water supply and hike the bills as usual.
The way things are going in this lagos their is one thing i know that will happen for sure if nothing is done soon and that is EVERYONE WHO OWNS A BOREHOLE WILL SOON BE FORCED TO PAY 'BOREHOLE TAX'.

you took it out of my mouth. i understand the corporation so much cos its a system i have been part of.
For the records, during tiefnubu tenure, its has alway been a siphoning machine for tinubu. then, the corp grew to have two officers as head, the group managing director and the CEO respectively. While one was on professional appointment which is the GMD, the other was there to protect tinubus interest and he even took more role than the professional head. Awhole lot went on as the place was badly managed such that the then CEO in person of muyiwa coker embezzled so much from tinubu's interest that tinubu felt it. before he could take any action, the ceo stop coming to office. it was during this period Alpha Beta Consulting, Lagos Revenue Generation Firm also suffice also in that same Water Corp Building. Since then, the corp haa never been the same. This is the same institution that still supplied half of lagos portable water in 1999. In 2000, PPP - Private Public Partcipation strategy was tried to revive the Corp but damage was deep in.By 2005, They has lost ground and confidence in people depending on them for water supply. With less people consuming water from the Corp, revenue dropped all time low. Borehole was on the rise. The Corp was a failed parastal and the only thing lasg could think is complete privatization. My bigger worry is this the privatization would be at the expense of the citizen. World bank has been finace the Corp as far back as i can remember. Lagos State since the time of tinubu have been uSng that medium to borrow frm World Bank. but with all the borrow, it is not imprving. If it is, tell me if you uSng tap water.

neway, the long and short of it is that should ambode enter, the will complete the privatization ad you will pay borehole tax which
1. be a double taxation cos you already paying land use charge and i believe that should cover even the water in the ground that you surcing from urself
2. Over 3000 Corporation staffs job is on the line should the privatization pull thru.
3. The proceeds from privatization itself would go intopersonal pockets

so much more but digest this one

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Civil Society Help Stop Plot By Lagos Govt, World Bank To Privatise Water by hush15: 9:35pm On Feb 19, 2015
mbulela:

Yo add to your point, we could even have residents on elite parts of the city subsidize the supply to the poorer areas. II and only if the quality of the water distributed can be guaranteed. As it stands even the 10 percent you mentioned dare not drink the water coming into their homes.
However another truth is thay if we pay for water too,the only free thing remaining will be air. another side of the coin is why not privatize if you can guarantee quality and city wide supply? The problem with these people is even when they sign an undertaking for such caveats,they will charge without delivering and refuse to return to the status quo.

While privatization could help, the intent is already biazed. Moreso, much could done without selling it off. That Corp can be revamped. its been done before in1993 under Mrs T. Williams. Infact, that was their peak period. 1994 till 1998 also with the aid of the world bank. Privatizing it completely will mean we will be paying large bills for drinking or using water just as we already doing with nepa. besides, thats if the privatization is duly executed also.
The problem again i state emphatically started with tinubu. however got worst at fash tenure as it didnt eeceive the require attention. The right managent head and team with the right government support could revive that utility corp and if it still the current government thats taking over, i dont see that happening.

We do need to change the government to achieve that.
Re: Civil Society Help Stop Plot By Lagos Govt, World Bank To Privatise Water by lovepraise(f): 11:01pm On Feb 19, 2015
So the masses that are suffering in lagos are not important that they want to turn it from frypan to fire with their water privatilization scheme God nor go allow them do am

1 Like

Re: Civil Society Help Stop Plot By Lagos Govt, World Bank To Privatise Water by dhardline(m): 11:20pm On Feb 19, 2015
hush15:

you took it out of my mouth. i understand the corporation so much cos its a system i have been part of.
For the records, during tiefnubu tenure, its has alway been a siphoning machine for tinubu. then, the corp grew to have two officers as head, the group managing director and the CEO respectively. While one was on professional appointment which is the GMD, the other was there to protect tinubus interest and he even took more role than the professional head. Awhole lot went on as the place was badly managed such that the then CEO in person of muyiwa coker embezzled so much from tinubu's interest that tinubu felt it. before he could take any action, the ceo stop coming to office. it was during this period Alpha Beta Consulting, Lagos Revenue Generation Firm also suffice also in that same Water Corp Building. Since then, the corp haa never been the same. This is the same institution that still supplied half of lagos portable water in 1999. In 2000, PPP - Private Public Partcipation strategy was tried to revive the Corp but damage was deep in.By 2005, They has lost ground and confidence in people depending on them for water supply. With less people consuming water from the Corp, revenue dropped all time low. Borehole was on the rise. The Corp was a failed parastal and the only thing lasg could think is complete privatization. My bigger worry is this the privatization would be at the expense of the citizen. World bank has been finace the Corp as far back as i can remember. Lagos State since the time of tinubu have been uSng that medium to borrow frm World Bank. but with all the borrow, it is not imprving. If it is, tell me if you uSng tap water.

neway, the long and short of it is that should ambode enter, the will complete the privatization ad you will pay borehole tax which
1. be a double taxation cos you already paying land use charge and i believe that should cover even the water in the ground that you surcing from urself
2. Over 3000 Corporation staffs job is on the line should the privatization pull thru.
3. The proceeds from privatization itself would go intopersonal pockets

so much more but digest this one s

I totally believe you brother,you have said it all.
Re: Civil Society Help Stop Plot By Lagos Govt, World Bank To Privatise Water by nothingdou1(m): 12:13am On Feb 20, 2015
No doubt, I see another secret plot of OJU YOBO, creating another means of turning lagos to his CBN and milking lagos dry as usual.wetin remain nw for him na to Dey sell d air wey we Dey breathe.Hyprocritically clamouring 4 change,when all he meant was let their be change of hands from those who controls the nation resources.seeking to advance his looting skills from state to federal level.won fe ma pe aja fun wa l'obo(trying to deceiving us into believing that a dog is a monkey) meaning hiding their real agenda from the populace.
Re: Civil Society Help Stop Plot By Lagos Govt, World Bank To Privatise Water by dotna(m): 5:12am On Feb 20, 2015
Haba nah
Re: Civil Society Help Stop Plot By Lagos Govt, World Bank To Privatise Water by dotna(m): 5:14am On Feb 20, 2015
Isn't it a good project?
Re: Civil Society Help Stop Plot By Lagos Govt, World Bank To Privatise Water by Mgbadike80: 6:36am On Feb 20, 2015
lagosians should vote out the APC led government before they privatize water and introduces borehole tax. capitalism is an evil period. in the united states, a man was sent to prison for connecting a pipe from his roof to a water tank to fetch rainwater and snow runoff for his use. the most painful part was that the connection have in his house for decades but with water privatization and increasing cost of water. the government startes sending people to prison for fetching water from their own roof claiming that the government has monopoly over all water in the state and is the only one authorized to provide water. the world bank is filled with the demons with iweala acting as the economic hitman in Nigeria
Re: Civil Society Help Stop Plot By Lagos Govt, World Bank To Privatise Water by thoth: 6:54am On Feb 20, 2015
MrIncrediible:
On the positive side, Privatization is going to bring about better distribution as well as better quality of water to Lagosians, on the negative side, there will be a synonymous increase in price so Lagosians should choose what they want.

Don't spew your brainless trash online, tell us where in the world privatization of water has brought out better distribution or better water quanlity.
Re: Civil Society Help Stop Plot By Lagos Govt, World Bank To Privatise Water by j4sure(m): 11:30am On Feb 20, 2015
ITS POSSIBLE

(1) (2) (Reply)

Chek Out The Lies Spread By An Iranian Tv Station About The Shia Attack - Video / No Cause For Alarm: FG Assures Of Safety Over Reports Of Elevated Terror Threat / Sanwo-Olu Mourns Rotimi Akeredolu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.