Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,941 members, 7,835,138 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 05:45 AM

Reasons Why Toyota Cars Dominate In Nigeria - Car Talk (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Reasons Why Toyota Cars Dominate In Nigeria (46090 Views)

I Thought i've Seen All Toyota Cars...this One Caught Me Off Guard / New Price List Of Toyota Cars In Nigeria ( Caution: Better Sit Before You Read) / Buy These Two Toyota Cars For N2.3million Am Relocating To Usa.. Urgent (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reasons Why Toyota Cars Dominate In Nigeria by tivta(m): 2:20pm On Feb 28, 2015
chucky234:
Best selling car by quantity or quality ?
. Both. This is despite the huge recalls which is mainly due to the fact that the more products you produce, the higher the chances of problems.
Re: Reasons Why Toyota Cars Dominate In Nigeria by abatically(m): 2:21pm On Feb 28, 2015
chucky234:
Best selling car by quantity or quality ?

It doesn't matter. Both by quantity and quality. The reason they are number one is because they have a car for everybody. They make the good, the bad, the ugly and the terrible, but their sales are skyrocketing.
Re: Reasons Why Toyota Cars Dominate In Nigeria by chucky234(m): 2:39pm On Feb 28, 2015
gidjah:
pls let us know the shipping price and other hidding charges till it gets to Nigeria sir. Would love to do business with you when fully clear about the charges and plan
Shipping via Roro is about $950, other expenses for land transportation and DHL about $300.
Re: Reasons Why Toyota Cars Dominate In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:46pm On Feb 28, 2015
I hate the sound System
I hate their dull light
I hate the expensive 'plastic' wind shield on the roof
I hate the brake-system, always watery like the CUNTinent of a northern babe.
I hate the leather seats, always absorbing heat
I hate the dashboard

above all, I'm so in Love with Toyota products because it is very economical and slow to over-heating, easy to fix and parts are readily available.
Re: Reasons Why Toyota Cars Dominate In Nigeria by chucky234(m): 2:56pm On Feb 28, 2015
abatically:

It doesn't matter. Both by quantity and quality. The reason they are number one is because they have a car for everybody. They make the good, the bad, the ugly and the terrible, but their sales are skyrocketing.
Toyota's highest selling cars remains the Corolla and Camry both of which are the blandest cars of their generations, and that point to the fact that Toyota is the best selling car company by quantity and not by quality.
Re: Reasons Why Toyota Cars Dominate In Nigeria by abatically(m): 3:06pm On Feb 28, 2015
chucky234:
Toyota's highest selling cars remains the Corolla and Camry both of which are the blandest cars of their generations, and that point to the fact that Toyota is the best selling car company by quantity and not by quality.

But then why do people buy those BLAND camrys and corollas if they are so terrible? They are bland yet they sell hundreds of thousand units every year. I know a particular European sedan that couldn't sell 20,000 units in 6 years, u want me to name it?

Oh and Lexus Rx is the best selling mid size luxury SUV in north America, and I can tell u they are not bland.
Re: Reasons Why Toyota Cars Dominate In Nigeria by chucky234(m): 3:13pm On Feb 28, 2015
tivta:
. Both. This is despite the huge recalls which is mainly due to the fact that the more products you produce, the higher the chances of problems.
Funny
Re: Reasons Why Toyota Cars Dominate In Nigeria by chucky234(m): 3:17pm On Feb 28, 2015
abatically:

But then why do people buy those BLAND camrys and corollas if they are so terrible? They are bland yet they sell hundreds of thousand units every year. I know a particular European sedan that couldn't sell 20,000 units in 6 years, u want me to name it?

Oh and Lexus Rx is the best selling mid size luxury SUV in north America, and I can tell u they are not bland.
Acura MDX will always have the RX for lunch bro, by the way Ford Fusion has been the best selling sedan in the last few years and not our dear bland Camry or Corolla.

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Toyota Cars Dominate In Nigeria by tivta(m): 3:37pm On Feb 28, 2015
chucky234:
Funny
. Fact
Re: Reasons Why Toyota Cars Dominate In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:45pm On Feb 28, 2015
tivta:
. You are the one with comprehension issue. Read then you will understand what I have written. Mr know it all.
Are you alright
Re: Reasons Why Toyota Cars Dominate In Nigeria by desktop: 3:49pm On Feb 28, 2015
nurey:

Your orientation about toyota is biased and screams hatred. Luxurious toyota a badged as lexus so if u want more luxury in your toyota, buy a lexus

No No No No No ...No don't even go there I beg of you with Gods name please don't even go there.

Gave up on mercs a while back cos of some nut job I had as a mechanic so switched to Toyota drop light then the SE V6 (which by the way spoilt me) time for an upgrade (2 years max on any car I don't care the story) so which car? saw an ES Lexus and was like even though the face of the car no make am I'd buy. Was going to settle for one I saw here on nairaland after driving one for a couple of days thanks to one of my friends who has something similar. That was how alhaji called me that a friend had a c class for sale. out of respect for the man I went there believing there was no way I would take the benz...long story short, test drove the car in surulere along one of those untared roads omo are suspension! before that when I tried to shut the door see as door heavy. hmmm I need not spill too many things here you should test drive a merc first then understand true luxury. settled for an E class afterwards and guy I no go deceive you khaki no be leather. With the star diagnostics tool that mercs now use I'm very comfortable with owning one now. upgrading early next year and you know it...if theres no star in front of me as I drive...I ain't driving.

Next time you see that merc guy smiling arrogantly behind the wheel just say a prayer for him cos hes got more than a really good reason hes smiling.

...And in the words of Amaru...picture me rolling in my 500 benz...lol

*runs to Mercedes Benz thread*

Besides that new camry design/shape just doesn't cut it for me. would rather the 07/08 or 2010 SE.

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Toyota Cars Dominate In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:49pm On Feb 28, 2015
chucky234:
Funny
You dey mind am.
Re: Reasons Why Toyota Cars Dominate In Nigeria by Solozzo(m): 11:12pm On Feb 28, 2015
Disadvantages of Toyota cars are:

1. Rather expensive due to high demand
2. Easy targets for car thieves especially Camry model
3. A lot of "leg" problems ie break system, disc, tyroids
4. Engine too monotonous and lacking in ''rev"
Re: Reasons Why Toyota Cars Dominate In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:24pm On Mar 07, 2015
chucky234:
Dealers imports based on demand, if people swing their pendulum toward other brands dealers will surely follow suit.
In the 70s to early 90s Benz, VW and Peugeot were the best sellers because our cars were coming in from Europe until mid 90s when started importing from the US/Canada based on the fact cars were cheaper in North America which offers better ROI to the dealers.
People need to start buying cars not just because of reliability or second hand value but because they want to enjoy comfort and luxury to the fullest.
Range Rover and G-wagon are certainly not the easiest of cars to maintain but importers are importing them based on the simple that people demands it, people should change their perception about Toyota cars being reliable and cheap to maintain because they are not and the number of recalls Toyota record annually prove that.
Hello Sir, thank you for your transparency.

Please, I need you to kindly help answer a few questions with the example below. I actually had to search the web after you disclosed that one can get some of the cars sold in Nigeria cheaply in the range of $500-1000.

Well, I took my time to play around on the web and found this 2005 Murano at a cost of $2000 for sale by owner.

http://www.bestcarfinder.com/sale-by-owner/dover-tn/nissan-39486290.html

This brings me to the bugging questions.

I understand that the 2000 is for cost of car ONLY.

Therefore what will be the cost of shipping this same car to Nigeria.

When it gets to the port in Nigeria, what will be the cost of clearing it.

Lastly, is it possible for one to purchase a car by himself online, pay the shipping fee, then when it arrives the port, he goes there to clear and claim it without involving any dealer?

Thank you in anticipation of your reply.

I know the last question is a risky one but I am asking out of curiosity...
Re: Reasons Why Toyota Cars Dominate In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:51pm On Mar 07, 2015
chucky234:
Dealers imports based on demand, if people swing their pendulum toward other brands dealers will surely follow suit.
In the 70s to early 90s Benz, VW and Peugeot were the best sellers because our cars were coming in from Europe until mid 90s when started importing from the US/Canada based on the fact cars were cheaper in North America which offers better ROI to the dealers.
People need to start buying cars not just because of reliability or second hand value but because they want to enjoy comfort and luxury to the fullest.
Range Rover and G-wagon are certainly not the easiest of cars to maintain but importers are importing them based on the simple that people demands it, people should change their perception about Toyota cars being reliable and cheap to maintain because they are not and the number of recalls Toyota record annually prove that.

Please, I need you to kindly help answer a few questions with the example below. I actually had to search the web after you disclosed that one can get some of the cars sold in Nigeria cheaply in the range of $500-1000.

Well, I took my time to play around on the web and found this 2005 Murano at a cost of $2000 for sale by owner.

Lastly, is it possible for one to purchase a car by himself online, pay the shipping fee, then when it arrives the port, he goes there to clear and claim it without involving any dealer?

Re: Reasons Why Toyota Cars Dominate In Nigeria by chucky234(m): 8:11pm On Mar 07, 2015
2sExy1:

To answer your last question YES you can buy car(s) online yourself without involving any dealer but you need experience to do that successfully.
You can ship Murano via RORO for $950 - $1,200 while clearing is between N300,000 and N350,0000.
2005 Murano is no doubt a steal at just $2000 but it may interest you to know that there even cheaper ones out there, search thoroughly.

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Toyota Cars Dominate In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:47pm On Mar 07, 2015
chucky234:
To answer your last question YES you can buy car(s) online yourself without involving any dealer but you need experience to do that successfully.
You can ship Murano via RORO for $950 - $1,200 while clearing is between N300,000 and N350,0000.
2005 Murano is no doubt a steal at just $2000 but it may interest you to know that there even cheaper ones out there, search thoroughly.
Thanks so much bro. I will ask if I have anymore questions. God bless you.
Re: Reasons Why Toyota Cars Dominate In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:56am On Mar 08, 2015
chucky234:
Bro, you rock! see what I found....

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/630890502/overview/

2010 Toyota Corolla for $2000

see the image

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/630890502/photo/

This will cost over 2million naira here in Nigeria... This dudes make over a million naira per car sale. Well i can't blame them cos money must be made and where there is ignorance in a triving market, lots of money is made.

now my question is, can one pay this seller online to help ship the vehicle?
Re: Reasons Why Toyota Cars Dominate In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:58am On Mar 08, 2015
Re: Reasons Why Toyota Cars Dominate In Nigeria by Stancity(m): 9:21pm On Mar 08, 2015
Re: Reasons Why Toyota Cars Dominate In Nigeria by nativedoctor(m): 8:42am On Mar 10, 2015
gememerald:

Jeep Wrangler is the No. 1 off the road vehicle for now...nothing can match it...you're talking about front axle, what about clearance...please just try and look out for jeep wrangler hardcore edition, you should like it.

When did toyota start producing off the road.

Have you heard of jeep wrangler rubicon?
Heard of pilot? Unlimited? Hmm... Go and make your findings very well.

I agree with you bro, jeep wrangler was built with the back country in mind.
but to answer your question toyota landcruiser started as an off road military vehicle in 1941 when the Japanese govt asked toyota to produce light military trucks for the army. in 1950 the US govt ordered 100 of the same spec from toyota for the korean war.
the jeep wrangler is a descendant of the jeep cj which was built by ford in 1941 as well.

tha landcruiser and the landrover defender are still vehicles of choice of the United Nations, military and game reserves and their criterium is "little or no option of breakdown"
you have not even mentioned the mercedes benz g class which is a hairy chested beast off road but for the high price tag that has made it a status symbol.
and also worthy of mention are the hummer H1, dodge ram and ford f150 raptor which are also very good off road.

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Toyota Cars Dominate In Nigeria by sultaan(m): 4:15pm On Mar 10, 2015
Like Saxywale said it is the law of demand and supply.Sometimes you should look at the sale numbers(new car) and then the resale value after 4 years.

Let us look at the source of most Nigerian cars of the 90's Europe, Benz 120,203,300 were champs; carina starlet and laurel(datsun/nissan) were Asian champs, but when winners of American lottery started sending cars home Accord 92 was the first champ then the civic and corolla and camry came in afterwards.

When you have a huge market for particular models were buyers are paying premium for those cars it increases its resale value to the point where every new buyer will buy a car that will resale higher even if its boring and not that reliable you know you will get most of your money back.The same thing is happening in the Nigerian market where people use them for 2 years and get rid of them to upgrade in reality if you buy a new car and you want to upgrade in 2 years you might end up with the same thing because models get refreshed every 4 years. So buyers are not necessarily buying what they like but what they can resell in as low as 6 months without losing too much money.Someone here was boasting of the good resale value of Toyota yet in simple arithmetic he lost big time but its ok if it is a Toyota N1.3m in less the a year@160:1

musicwriter:
Yes, Toyota cars is very durable and they have good second value in case you want to re-sell it.
Bought 4runner (1998) model at Cotonou for about N1.5 million, used it for 3 years and still sold it for N750k.
Again, bought the 2008 model around N3.8 million, used it for a year and few months and still sold it for N2.5 million. Sold them the same day I put it for sale!.

For other cars like ford, Mitsubishi I sold second hand, nothing came out of it.
If you want to buy a car buy Toyota, you wouldn't regret it.

If you really want to know how much influence the African used car market has on the resale value of Toyota go to any dealers auction and see how they bid for these models compared to other brands the white guys simply back off any Nigerian dealer will attest to that here so if dealers can sell a trade in at a profit then a 2011 Camry will be more expensive than a 2011 Taurus because the Taurus has to be resold within the local market where supply is high.

The validation of this theory is to look at the Nissan Altima. The Altima sells almost as good as the Accord but because Nigerians don't buy it you can get it for less than the Camry and it has a higher depreciation. Most used older Camry and Highlander in the US is driven by an African because they hope to ship it home when paid off but if you truly look on the US roads you will find more 8 years old Altima than Camry.

If the new auto policy holds things will change because most of the dealers in the US have to refocus on the US market and for those who were primarily into export will either go Cotonou or find a new job.There are already fewer Nigerians at the auctions so used car price for those models will fall. Those who have access to Manheim can compare the prices now to those of 2 years ago
Re: Reasons Why Toyota Cars Dominate In Nigeria by power900: 6:58am On Jul 18, 2016
Toyota's are so overrated. After getting my Camry tiny light I'm getting tinier because of its problems, I have sworn never to get any other Toyota in future,period!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Fatal Accident Along Enugu/onitsha Expressway,one Dead,others Injured(Photos) / Top 12 Popular Demand Car Brands Available In Nigeria / See The Cars Produced By A Man In Imo State(photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.