Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,754 members, 7,813,487 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:55 PM

The Lessons I Learnt While Building My House - Properties (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / The Lessons I Learnt While Building My House (42890 Views)

Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall / Ten Ways To Reduce Cost While Building A New Home / DIY Construction Of My House In PH. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Lessons I Learnt While Building My House by drkay(m): 9:40pm On Mar 02, 2015
ghettodreamz:
@OP, congratulations on the completion of your dwelling edifice, it is my earnest prayer that you and all yours shall live there in sound and good health in Jesus name, amen. It will mark the beginning of greater things yet to come in your life by His grace.

Personally, I shall be looking forward to seeing pictures of your house (Interior & Exterior view), I hope you won't keep us waiting for too long for it.

Wishing all hard working ladies and gents out there who are not only dreaming but working towards like achievements, all the very best.

Enjoy your new home!
I say a loud AMEN to those prayers. I'll sure post the pictures as soon as I take them. God will bless you beyond your imagination too.
Re: The Lessons I Learnt While Building My House by IYANGBALI: 9:57pm On Mar 02, 2015
So you are now a landlord like me,congratulations.

2 Likes

Re: The Lessons I Learnt While Building My House by Nobody: 10:01pm On Mar 02, 2015
Congrats op, did you build your brand new house on a plot or two?
Thanks.
Re: The Lessons I Learnt While Building My House by drkay(m): 10:09pm On Mar 02, 2015
koyyess:
I commend you. At your age you have a foresight that so many men(young and old) lack in this country lack. As I congratulate you, I also want to advise that you remain responsible- don't attract bad friends that will help you turn that place to a brothel or a mini club. Keep investing in other fruitful projects and above all, though you have a house now, I hope you have someone that will make it a home. If you don't have the person yet, work towards it. I know why I'm saying so.
Thanks for the advice, I appreciate. I have a fiance already. Getting married into our own house has always been her dream too. In fact, she keep telling me that she prefers a little furnished house of ours to a fully furnished rented apartment.
Re: The Lessons I Learnt While Building My House by Nobody: 10:10pm On Mar 02, 2015
congrats and thanks 4 d advice.
Re: The Lessons I Learnt While Building My House by drkay(m): 10:10pm On Mar 02, 2015
Xsolutions:
Congrats op, did you build your brand new house on a plot or two?
Thanks.
I av a plot but I utilised half.

1 Like

Re: The Lessons I Learnt While Building My House by chanddys(m): 10:11pm On Mar 02, 2015
[quote author=drkay post=31207632][/quote]

Congrats bro for that deep advice
Re: The Lessons I Learnt While Building My House by akeensbussy(m): 10:12pm On Mar 02, 2015
congrat bro...u mean 3 bedrooms duplex or bungalow at 4million in abeokuta? am curious to know and see the pix.

rough estimate of 3 bedroom bungalow going on in atan-ota

master bedrms (11*10)
other bedrms (10*10)feets
sitting rooms (10*14)
3 toilet and bath (3*7)
kitchen (6*10)
visitor toilet (3*3)

total amount of block used up to linted 1,500units (hand mode) @ 45 unit per bag.
Re: The Lessons I Learnt While Building My House by AdeniyiA(m): 10:13pm On Mar 02, 2015
"Through wisdom is an house builded; and by understanding it is established:" -- Proverbs 24:3 .
Also applies to marriage cool

1 Like

Re: The Lessons I Learnt While Building My House by 100Cents: 10:15pm On Mar 02, 2015
Building is a form of savings, investment, income earner, income multiplier and roof over your head.
Re: The Lessons I Learnt While Building My House by koyyess: 10:17pm On Mar 02, 2015
drkay:

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate. I have a fiance already. Getting married into our own house has always been her dream too. In fact, she keep telling me that she prefers a little furnished house of ours to a fully furnished rented apartment.
I'm happy to know that. You deserve each other.
Re: The Lessons I Learnt While Building My House by Nobody: 10:19pm On Mar 02, 2015
I was plannin to buy a car, but wit dis post, i am havin a second thought. Still under 30 and i tink i nid my own house too. Congrats op.

4 Likes

Re: The Lessons I Learnt While Building My House by akeensbussy(m): 10:22pm On Mar 02, 2015
bought man diesel 10 tires of softsharp @35k, 20bags of cement@ 1850 moulder collect N600/a bag bush clearing 5k and misccelaneous 5k..... produced 1,800 unit block 6inches..to be cont..
this is do it urself version..follow the info

1 Like

Re: The Lessons I Learnt While Building My House by AdeniyiA(m): 10:25pm On Mar 02, 2015
drkay:

you're blessed bro, you've got a treasure as a fiancée, never loose her.
You'll go places having her beside you ...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Lessons I Learnt While Building My House by IDEApro(m): 10:27pm On Mar 02, 2015
This is how enemies react when you're developing a propertygrin

You fabricate blocks.....This fooool think say na to mould block

Your building reaches roofing level.....No be to add blocks for ground be am, na roofing be the main thing.

You roof, complete and pack in......That man don do money medicine.

.....Just keep building while they engage their idle mind
Re: The Lessons I Learnt While Building My House by kendraloops(f): 10:28pm On Mar 02, 2015
congrats op.march 22nd, i musnt miss it. that's my son's birthday so na double celebration we dey come do for ya side.

hope say u full ground sha?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Lessons I Learnt While Building My House by charleff512(m): 10:29pm On Mar 02, 2015
All the things you said are correct!
To have a house before thirty is a feat where many youths are boasting of cars that are soon outdated.Bravo OP

2 Likes

Re: The Lessons I Learnt While Building My House by Nobody: 10:41pm On Mar 02, 2015
Useful tips. Thanks for sharing.
Re: The Lessons I Learnt While Building My House by professore(m): 10:47pm On Mar 02, 2015
May the house not kill u,may u live long in the house,may the house be convenient for u,may u build other houses in the name of Jesus,Amen.

1 Like

Re: The Lessons I Learnt While Building My House by Jaypea98: 11:09pm On Mar 02, 2015

Congratulations sir on the successful construction of your house.
I Came in here expecting to see some pictures.
Please if you dont mind kindly quench our thirst by posting a landscape and interior pictures.
..........................................Thanks
Re: The Lessons I Learnt While Building My House by Jaypea98: 11:10pm On Mar 02, 2015
[quote author=drkay post=31207632][/quote]Congratulations sir on the successful
construction of your house.
I Came in here expecting to see some
pictures.
Please if you dont mind kindly
quench our thirst by posting a
landscape and interior pictures.
..........................................Thanks
Re: The Lessons I Learnt While Building My House by kingsleyejims(m): 11:11pm On Mar 02, 2015
This is indeed a great thread...weldone Op; and may God grant you good health to enjoy your fruitful labour, Ame!

1 Like

Re: The Lessons I Learnt While Building My House by FADEO: 11:12pm On Mar 02, 2015
Ops.. am so happy for you. I am about to start something soon in sango ota area and you advice will be strongly needed. 22nd of march i will like to be in abeokuta for your house warming. so send me the invite to fregdave@gmail.com and will can also communicate thru this email.
Re: The Lessons I Learnt While Building My House by alexov(m): 11:12pm On Mar 02, 2015
where's the picture of the house oh?!

1 Like

Re: The Lessons I Learnt While Building My House by LyfeJennings(m): 11:33pm On Mar 02, 2015
U try o. Under 30 and U build house. Im gonna 30 and dont have a block

1 Like

Re: The Lessons I Learnt While Building My House by bosunjohns(m): 11:36pm On Mar 02, 2015
drkay:
I just completed my small house, a 3 bedroom all en-suite bungalow somewhere in abeokuta. I must confess, I got a lot of encouragement and useful info on this site. Thanks to people like Hajji Mufutau, Muyesky, Segzy etc for their educating posts on property section.
I open this thread to encourage under 30s like me, its not too early to start. So, these are the lessons I learnt while building my house.

Lesson 1. Prepare to spend beyond your budget. I budgeted about 3 million naira but I end up spending above 4million naira.

Lesson 2. Its good to Get somebody that is experienced and trustworthy to supervise ur project or guide you, he shouldn't be staying too far from the site and he must alwz be available when his service is needed.

Lesson 3. Its good to get quotation for any purchase or service from at least 3 sources before going further to buy it. Although, the best may nt be the cheapest. My close friend supplied all my doors and I later found out that the 2 security doors that he supplied are inferior to what I ordered for and I could have bought all the doors @ a neighbouring shop @ 45k cheaper with no hassle. He supplied me frm lagos and I spent heavily for transport all in the name of patronising a friend who did nt even hesitate to cheat me.

Lesson 4. Its good to be nice to ppl who are already living around the site, they'll help in protecting your things. My Geepee tanks were almost stolen by some guys, thanks to my neighbours.

Lesson 5. Its good to give the omoniles something when they come around bt don't be too nice cos they'll keep coming in different groups. [/b]They almost turn me to their ATM but I enjoy their company. They help in telling us about people selling fraudulent lands and I do advice my frnds to stay away from them.

[b]Lesson 6. Its good to trust people working for you until you catch them red handed. I made this mistake while building my house and I regret it. For instance, my tiler gave me a quotation of the tiles I was going to need my taste, a frnd told me to reduce each of them by 4 cartons because its more than what he used while working on his building which is relatively of similar size. Unfortunately, the tiles where nt enough, It took me over 2 week to get the same design of tiles which I was already using. I even took someone else there to do the measurement and its almost the same thing the first guy gave me. that was after purchasing the tiles.

Lesson 7. Its good to go to the market with your plumber and your electrician so that you can chose your choice among the various designs of light, sink, closet, basin and the likes, I had to change some lights and showers because I wouldn't have chosen them if had gone with them to purchase those things..

Lesson 8. The best time to start building is as soon as you have a land to build on. You can start with any amount, don't wait till you have 100% of you budgeted amount. I started with 300k.
Best wishes.

NB: am inviting nairalanders to my house warming on march 22nd, 2015. Venue will be announced on request.
Picture of my house later.
Congrats Bro!
Re: The Lessons I Learnt While Building My House by Nobody: 11:46pm On Mar 02, 2015
CongratulatIons
Re: The Lessons I Learnt While Building My House by segcymoor(m): 11:49pm On Mar 02, 2015

Absolutely Correct! You really learn indeed.....Ile! "Iyi to ba le lorie lounpe ni....Ile!
You will definitely spent more and that is why we Contractor enter "gbese' at time
Congrat!
Re: The Lessons I Learnt While Building My House by ghettodreamz(m): 1:10am On Mar 03, 2015
drkay:

I say a loud AMEN to those prayers. I'll sure post the pictures as soon as I take them. God will bless you beyond your imagination too.

Amen sir.
Re: The Lessons I Learnt While Building My House by Ndipe(m): 3:39am On Mar 03, 2015
Congrats.
Re: The Lessons I Learnt While Building My House by grimandevil: 3:46am On Mar 03, 2015
nice one bro

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Harney Project Renovation Work Of A Nairalanders Massive Family House / When She Said She Want A Guy With A House And A Car. And He's A Civil Engineer. / My Ikorodu Mansion; The DIY Report.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.