Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,260 members, 7,815,414 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:59 AM

Glitches - Literature (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Glitches (43717 Views)

[story] Glitches…part 1 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Glitches by adegwurulez(m): 8:53pm On Apr 23, 2015
Segun was proud of his blackmailing skills, at least, it had delivered his friends from the hands of James Deo. He walked confidently with his friends as they headed to his car.

‘’What did you say to him?’’ Tobi suddenly asked when they had gotten to the parking lot.

‘’Trade secrets.’’ Segun replied. ‘’What matters is that we are all in one piece.’’

As a kid, segun had learnt the art of blackmailing. He had caught his brother once, taking meat from the pot. It served as a good bargaining chip to extort favours from the poor chap. Today, he would collect his brother’s piece of meat, the next day, he would collect his lunch money. Although Segun grew up to discover that blackmailing wasn’t morally right, he still used it whenever it was necessary.

He pressed a botton and his car responded with a twitch.

‘’Can somebody tell me what is going on?’’ The ever quiet Greg asked. ‘’I woke up only to find you guys all gone, leaving me with nothing but a piece of paper telling me to meet you at the gravel road.’’
The three men didn’t answer him, they just entered the car. Greg stood there, watching them with mixed feelings.

‘’Are you coming or what?’’

‘’No I’m not.’’ He answered. ‘’Not unless you start talking.

He could tell there was something they were keeping secret. For crying out loud, he had left his cave of solitude in search of answers and all he was getting was the silent treatment? He made up his mind not to move an inch unless a reasonable explanation was given concerning their sudden disappearance. Where exactly are they even heading to with the car? To town? Are they sick or what? Are they not aware of his predicament? How the hell was he supposed to be living in a town full of people when he was just a ticking time bomb waiting for the timer to elapse?

‘’Get in the car and I will explain.’’ Tobi promised him.

‘’You’re not getting it, I’m not entering that car without a concrete reason.’’

‘’Hold it there.’’ A loud voice thundered.

Segun spied through his side mirror and saw an army of officers approaching.

‘’You need a concrete reason? There it is.’’

Greg stood watching in dilemma, he didn’t know whether to enter the car or not. The security men were closing in fast. Why would the security men still prevent them from leaving? Haven’t they been cleared?

‘’We have to leave now.’’ Kingsley called from inside the car.
Greg looked at the car, the door was open. He returned his gaze to the security men who were just some few metres from him.

‘’Fvck this!’’ He muttered and rushed into the car. Segun stepped on the gas before the security men could process what was going on.

‘’To the car.’’ An officer shouted and they all ran to their hilux vehicles.
Segun did a quick reverse, navigating through the tight space of the parking lot. He was very good with cars. His favourite childhood game used to be ‘need for speed’ on his SEGA. Back then he was among the few kids on his street who was priviledged to own a computer game. Friends from the neighbourhood always trooped into his room to watch with delight how segun controlled the car like the steering was wired to his brain. His love for cars grew from playing it on his SEGA, to ‘re-parking’ his Dad’s car whenever he came back. Before long, he had mastered the art of driving.

‘’why the hell are they chasing us? Somebody talk to me.’’ Greg shouted.

‘’I’m guessing I’m a wanted man.’’ Segun replied him with a scared voice. He changed gears and accelerated. The security men had all ran into their vehicles and were just behind them.

‘’Are they going to shoot at us?’’ kingsley who was already thinking about life after death asked.

‘’No.’’ Segun replied firmly. ‘’They have no right to do that. They can only arrest us and hand us over to the...’’ he didn’t complete his sentence before he heard a loud gunshot. The bullet scratched the car, barely missing the bumper.

‘’Everybody hold on tight, this ride is about to get rough.’’

He swerved to one end of the road, drove for a few seconds and quickly returned back to his lane. Another gunshot sounded, this time, the bullet hit the side mirror.

‘’We can’t go out through the gate, they’ll be waiting for us.’’ Segun informed them.

‘’Turn here’’ Greg pointed to a small pathway that led into the hilly terrain. Segun obeyed and quickly swayed to the right. The speed of the turn took the security men by surprise as their car sped past the opening before performing a drift followed by a sharp U-turn. Segun used the opportunity to increase the gap bet between their cars.
The security men didn’t give up. As long as they were still inside their property, they were bound by oath to do whatever it takes to protect the hill and everybody inside the hill. Their chief had given them a simple command – stop those four men – and they were willing to carry it out till the end.

Segun’s path wasn’t clear but since Greg was his compass, he had nothing to fear.

‘’Which way.’’ He asked.

‘’Keep going.’’ Greg replied him.

‘’Are you crazy, there’s a cliff.’’

‘’that’s the only way.’’ Greg replied. ‘’the gap isn’t much.’’

The landscape was rectangular and ended in a cliff just some few metres away, the cliff was steep but was just about 10 metres wide.

Segun looked behind and saw his chasers closing in very fast, he had no other option.

‘’Lord, I commit my life unto your hands.’’ He said a short prayer and stepped on the accelerator. As he sped over the cliff, segun closed his eyes, he let his mind do the driving. Everyone else held their breath as the car jumped over the ditch and landed with a thud on the other side. He quickly opened his eyes and controlled the car. When he was fully convinced that he had gained total control of the car, he sped off.

If he had any doubts the security men had stopped chasing him, the screeches from their tyres far behind him effectively dispelled the doubts.

‘’But I thought you already knew. The virus is carried in the blood where it replicates and spread. In the infective stage of its life cycle, it is found in body fluids – blood, saliva, semen…’’

‘’Sweat?’’ Aaron quickly asked. He had to be sure he hasn’t been infected.

‘’Sweat exclusive.’’ Jennifer replied. ’’for reasons yet unknown, the virus finds the human sweat uninhabitable.’’

There was absolute silence in the room, probably from relief. Segun’s phone rang.

‘’Segun where the hell are you, your face is all over the news.’’

‘’meet me in Kingsley’s house.’’ Segun replied and ended the call.

‘’that’s Segun. He wants me to meet him in Kingsley’s house,’’ Aaron said to the ladies. ‘’and you both are coming with me.’’

Some of miles away, a young man sat in front of a computer screen. The red dot he had been watching started moving.

‘’She’s on the move, boss.’’

‘’keep an eye on her.’’ the boss replied. ‘’We’ll strike tonight.’’

2 Likes

Re: Glitches by adegwurulez(m): 8:58pm On Apr 23, 2015
Essyprity:
U can delay 4 Africa
Lol... funny guy. Better days ahead.
Re: Glitches by awesomebabe(f): 6:21pm On Apr 27, 2015
Eminent more knowledge to ur brain. Nice story.
Re: Glitches by adegwurulez(m): 1:54pm On Apr 28, 2015
Kingsley’s house was smaller than Aaron’s, but it was richer in exquisite décor. From the curtains to the chairs, everything had a touch of elegance. But it wasn’t the time for admiration, it was the time for some serious brain racking. As he walked into the room with Stella and Julian, Aaron couldn’t help but wonder how things spiraled from normalcy to real f.ucked up. Just some few weeks back, he was that guy who loved clubbing and having fun, but now, he was that guy with the weight of the world on his head.

Sober was the word to describe the mood in the room. His buzz loving and wine sampling friends were looking into thin air with nothing as much as a glass of water in their hands. It was already getting dark so the security lights were on while inside was fully illuminated, from the bright bulbs to the television, the lightening was perfect. The loman issue had been in the news a lot lately, and the latest in this regards is the contingency actions by the global community. The United Nations was holding an emergency congress in light of the issue. It is believed that member nations will vote over the enforcement of UN Security Council resolution 1973 in Nigeria. The UN Security Council resolution 1973 is a law that gives NATO full control of a country’s air space.

‘’Evening everyone.’’ Aaron greeted as he took a seat. The girls followed suit.

‘’Stella! Good to see you. How did you escape’’ Kingsley gave her a hug.

‘’Well, turns out the saying that all men are the same is correct. I just used that principle to my advantage.’’

Even though they didn’t understand what she meant, they managed to giggle.

‘’Who is she?’’ segun asked, reffering to Julian.

‘’Oh forgive me. This is Julian, she is a curator of Norse norms.’’

‘’Real funny.’’ Kingsley quipped. ‘’you think now is the best time for your jokes?’’

‘’You see me laughing?’’ Aaron asked. ‘’I saw her do some abracadabra and a Loman that was on rampage suddenly got struck with trypanosomiasis.’’

There was absolute silence in the room, all eyes were on Julian, waiting for an explanation or for her to refute Aaron’s claim and tell them she was just a wild life enthusiast who got lucky once. Even though it would be a great relief for them to find a curator, they were somehow in doubt that a certain pretty girl would be the one.

‘’I thought teaming up with you guys would be a smart choice but I’m starting to doubt that now.’’ Julian said. ‘’It’s like you don’t even know what you’re up against, if you do, you wouldn’t be spending valuable time arguing who is a curator and who is not. If we don’t find a cure to this thing now, it will spread to other states and the global community won’t waste time in isolating Nigeria.’’

‘’It’s already happening.’’ Tobi agreed. ‘’Member nations in the UN are expected to vote on the UN security council resolution 1973.’’

‘’What’s UN Security Council resolution 1973?’’ Stella asked.

‘’All you need to know is that, if this resolution is enforced in Nigeria, NATO will gain total control of our airspace and they would declare our airspace a no-fly zone, just like they did in Libya. No local flights, no international flights. The virus stays with us and kills us alone.’’ Tobi explained.

Suddenly, a security alarm was triggered. It was loud enough to be heard inside the room but the acoustic properties of the room prevented the noise from reaching outside. Segun walked up to his computer and pressed some buttons, soon the view from outside was displayed. He saw SVR agents with their artillery outside the house. He went quietly and killed the lights.

‘’what’s happening?’’ Segun asked.

‘’We have unwanted visitors. Everybody go down.’’

As soon as Zhirkov saw that the lights have been killed, he knew they had been seen. He ordered his men to open fire. Standing in their perfect attack formation, they opened fire on the building. Stella closed her ears as the sound of shattering glasses filled the room. In a straight file, the agents were moving close to the building as they were firing their guns. Kingsley figured they had to make a move if they were to remain alive.

‘’Everybody, follow my lead.’’ He said as he put on his phone’s light. He gently crawled out of hiding as everyone kept following him from behind. He crawled to the middle of the room where he gently opened the floor mat. Underneath it was a shiny surface. Kingsley drew the surface aside and a keypad was revealed. He quickly imputed his password and the impediment slid open.

Outside the building, Zhirkov and his team were already close to the door. Zhirkov signaled his men to stop shooting. He placed his ears quietly on the door to listen to noise from inside. He could hear muffling. Damn! These Negros are a very stubborn race. He dropped his backpack and brought out dynamite. He strapped it on the door and signaled his men to move back. He detonated it, bringing the door down as they rushed into the room. The room was empty, only their ruins where left.

‘’Track the cell phone.’’ Zhirkov ordered and an agent ran forward with his computer.
Zhirkov bent down and was studying the room. He was sure they couldn’t have just disappeared into thin air. They were still somewhere inside this room.

‘’She’s in this room.’’ The person who had been tracking the phone announced. ‘’That way.’’ He pointed.

‘’Its game over Stella. You’ve done a great Job leading us to the rest of your goons and I’ll remember that when administering punishments.’’ Zhirkov threatened. He signaled one of his men to put on the light and he swiftly did.
He walked slowly to the direction that was pointed as the agent was beside him with his computer in the hand.

‘’She’s just few centimeters away.’’ The guy with the computer whispered to Zhirkov. ‘’Should be behind the couch.’’
Zhirkov drew his gun as he walked gently to the couch. When he reached, he swiftly pointed his gun but all he could see was Stella’s iphone 5, she was nowhere to be found.

Kingsley didn’t see any need for him to build a bunker in his house but now he was glad he did. They had all succeeded in entering the bunker and immediately kingsley pressed a button, everything went back to its normal position such that, anybody inside the palour wouldn’t know what was underneath and even if they manage to know, they wouldn’t be able to gain entrance. The bunker led to an underground garage where he packed some of his cars.

‘’Can somebody tell me what is going on here?’’ Julian asked.
Greg looked at her with pity. ‘’Trust me, I’ve been there. There are so many things you don’t know, and if we are to tell you, we’ll be giving unnecessary work to the person who would be writing this story in the future.’’
With that, they divided themselves into two groups, and drove off in two cars.

Back at the SVR safe house, the deadly one had just received news that the field operation was unsuccessful. He had prayed that should be the case and it seems God had answered his prayers. This only meant they were going to move on to planB, and plan B involves someone he had longed to see – Jeremy Bassey.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Glitches by adegwurulez(m): 7:57pm On Apr 28, 2015
awesomebabe:
Eminent more knowledge to ur brain. Nice story.
Yaaga! Thanks.
Re: Glitches by kizzykeziah: 10:05pm On Apr 28, 2015
Who is the deadly one going to be now?
And where on earth has Jer been in all these? I'm missing the 'human' him.
Re: Glitches by Missmossy(f): 10:35pm On Apr 28, 2015
Ghen-ghen grin its getting more interesting beautiful piece. Kudos. Stella and Kingsley enh! cheesy
Re: Glitches by LEGITLAYO: 6:31am On Apr 30, 2015
Adegwurulez my main man... just came to render little support here. . You're doing a good job bruh, more grease to your elbow and more brain to that big idoma skull... grin. .. Lol I just dey joke o. When una go resume session abeg? I've missed makurdi. cry
Re: Glitches by nellyme(f): 6:19pm On May 01, 2015
Read non stop till the last page, it has been awesome, nice story line and ur imagination is wild man.... Waiting for more...kudos

Re: Glitches by adegwurulez(m): 7:19pm On May 01, 2015
kizzykeziah:
Who is the deadly one going to be now?
And where on earth has Jer been in all these? I'm missing the 'human' him.
You just have to wait and see who the deadly one is.
Re: Glitches by adegwurulez(m): 7:19pm On May 01, 2015
Missmossy:
Ghen-ghen grin its getting more interesting beautiful piece. Kudos. Stella and Kingsley enh! cheesy
wetin do them?
Re: Glitches by adegwurulez(m): 7:25pm On May 01, 2015
LEGITLAYO:
Adegwurulez my main man... just came to render little support here. . You're doing a good job bruh, more grease to your elbow and more brain to that big idoma skull... grin. .. Lol I just dey joke o. When una go resume session abeg? I've missed makurdi. cry
Bro, kucha went to plateau state to act as the collation officer and hasn't come back. grin Seems he learnt how to delay from Jega, resumption has been postponed over a million times. Senate finally fixed 3rd may and just today i'm hearing it has been postponed. Just because of some Godforsaken NUGA renovation. Bro, forget xenophobia o, na SA get me so o.
Re: Glitches by adegwurulez(m): 7:27pm On May 01, 2015
nellyme:
Read non stop till the last page, it has been awesome, nice story line and ur imagination is wild man.... Waiting for more...kudos

Ya i have wild imagination, its something i always hear whenever i tell people of my wedding plans. grin

1 Like

Re: Glitches by adegwurulez(m): 7:39pm On May 01, 2015
It’s quite ironic how the early Geographers couldn’t tell that the earth was spherical. I mean, everything comes around full throttle. From the recycling of minerals in nature, to the food web, living things are all intertwined in this big cycle that the end always creates the intermediaries for starting up the cycle all over again. Jeremy’s case wasn’t any different. His predicament had started with this same people and since then, he had been moving through complex chain of events until he found himself yet again in the beginning, thus completing the cycle. Somehow he had passed the end without noticing and something tells him this cycle would be continuous.

If he had really gone past the end, then he knew it would be easy to back trace. After all, he’s had only a few encounters since he turned into this thing and only one was geared towards him finding the cure, and that was with the police man in the station. But how possible would that be, considering he was in the middle of this spacious, brightly lit room, with chairs designed with Lead.
He had recognized them immediately he saw them. Their huge physique and unique tattoos would always remain fresh in his memories, yet he couldn’t remember how he had met them or whether they were friends or foes, he just knew he had been haunted these past few days by their faces. They had quickly pushed him into their van before he could process what was happening.

That was some hours ago, now he was just sitting down idly, wondering how the hell the early Greeks discovered electricity and what the hell Michael Faraday was thinking when he created his electric dynamo thereby making it viable to use electricity in technology. Sometimes he wondered if these nerds really are helpful or harmful. Imagine how the creator of the famous AK47 was immortalized not minding how many lives had been lost due to his ‘nerdism’.

He didn’t have a problem with electricity. In fact, he was all for 24/7 power supply. But hey, he needed to teach this folks some life lessons and electricity was the only thing holding him back. It appeared the whole station thing was playing out again, he only wondered what kind of torture he was going to receive this time. Perhaps, he was going to be killed, who knows?

Would he ever see his parents again? Would he ever be normal again? He couldn’t remember how many times he chanted these questions in a day, they had become his mantra.

He rearranged in his chair when he heard the door struggling to open. One of the men who captured him earlier walked in.

‘’Hello there!’’ Jeremy shouted. ‘’I was beginning to think this was some kind of trophy cabin where you keep all your trophies.’’
The man ignored him and walked slowly towards him. When he was just inches away, he swung his hands in quick successions, sending hot slaps to both sides of Jeremy’s cheeks. That took Jeremy unawares as he bent his head, feeling the pain run through every nerve in his upper region.

‘’you don’t talk when you’re not spoken to.’’ The man said with his thick Russian accent.

Jeremy wanted to talk but the pains in his cheeks didn’t let him.

‘’Now compadre,’’ the man addressed him. ‘’you are going to meet your host.’’

Compadre? Host? How dare this bloke say those words like he was not tied to a chair? How dare he say it like he was in a summer vacation in Seychelles? COMPADRE.

He unlocked the cuffs with which Jeremy had been cuffed to the chair, and tugged him on the cheek.

‘’He doesn’t like waiting – your host. So you’ll do well to hurry up.’’

Jeremy stood up slowly – God! He hated this. His captor moved aside for him to pass but he stood there, watching like a dunce.

‘’It’s exactly 60seconds before his loses his mind. Now you can stand there and do whatever it is you’re doing, or you can hurry now and save your lame as’ s.’’

Jeremy didn’t wait to be told, he quickly followed the man as he was led to where he was to meet his ‘host’. Before long, his captor stopped in front of a door and knocked slowly. They waited for a few seconds before the door was opened. He shoved Jeremy inside while he followed behind. The person who had opened the door, closed it when they had all entered.

‘’sit.’’ The man who opened the door instructed. ‘’The deadly one would be with you soon.’’
Jeremy quickly hurried to sit like he was scared of standing. Few minutes more, a figure appeared from the shadows.

‘’Jeremy.’’ It said. ‘’long time, no see.’’

At the mention of his name, Jeremy turned his face to the direction of the voice. He only saw a curtain. Whoever was talking was behind the curtain. The voice sounded familiar. Then slowly, the figure walked out of the shadow. Jeremy was shocked at who he saw. It was someone he least expected to see but yet, it now made perfect sense.
Standing in front of him was Michael Olabisi.

The drive to wherever they were going was done in fear. The town was no longer safe, the Loman virus had spread faster than was envisaged. Just this evening, report put the number dead at over a hundred and properties destroyed at over a million naira. That was just Government figures as everybody knew the damages where more than that. The virus had also crossed into neighbouring states like ogun, ondo as state governments were taking measures against the outbreak of the disease in their states. Experts however project that, by the end of the month, if not curtailed the virus would have spread to at least half of the states in the country. As early as 6pm, streets in Lagos state are already deserted as only security men are seen patrolling. It was so bad that a couple had locked their child who had complained about having blackouts, and travelled. It was later discovered that the child was having a case of cataract. It wasn’t treated early and worsened into full blindness.

Nowadays, it was normal to see everybody putting on their generator set as soon as it was 6. They had somehow noticed that light hinders prospective turners from turning .They probably would start making lead gates if they learnt the power of Lead in curbing the rage of a Loman.

After driving for about 20minutes, the entourage stopped in front of a gate. Kingsley came down from his car and went to the gate. There was a security panel with a portion for finger print. He placed his right hand on the portion for about 2seconds before his finger prints were accepted.

‘’Welcome sir, would you like me to warm up the Jacuzzi?’’ The computerized gate announced.

‘’That would be great. And please I want you to override the security for 2minutes, I have visitors and would want smooth passage for them.’’

‘’Noted. Have a nice stay sir.’’

Kingsley walked back to his car while the others watched in awe. The next few seconds s aw them driving through the boulevard to the garage where they parked. They followed Kingsley to the front door where he had to do a retina scan before gaining entrance. Normally, each security passage would only allow him through, but due to the security override, he could go in with as much people as he wished.
The palour was very spacious, the milk coloured marbles and the glasses blended well to give the room a comforting feel. The Centre mat had the design of football pitch, while the centre table was an aquarium.

‘’Who owns this house?’’ Aaron asked.

‘’Me.’’ Kingsley answered non challantly.

Aaron drew him aside.

‘’Where the hell did you come up with such money?’’

‘’everyday some illegal deals goes on in this country, dirty politicians siphoning government money, illegal arms deals , you name it. This money land in anonymous bank accounts, now that is where i come in. cashless society has made it easy for us. All I do is transfer these monies into my bank account with just my laptop and modem. It’s like 1,2 buckle my shoe.’’

‘’You say it like its legal. God, how do you sleep at night knowing you are a thief?’’

‘’I wouldn’t call it that. If you are current, you would have heard about the anonymous donor who always donates to hospitals, orphanages and the less privileged. I don’t do this for me bro, I do it for the poor. Now we can stay here and argue or we can join the rest and forge a path ahead.’’

Kingsley left him standing there in his thoughts while he joined the rest.

‘’hey curator, you have any ideas how we can cure this?’’ Kingsley asked.

‘’To be honest, I don’t. Arger Erling prophesized about this. ‘’In mankind’s darkest moments, the light shall come from within.’’
Segun raised his head at that. ‘’I know someone who always say those exact words.’’

‘’it’s a proverb, what do you expect?’’ Aaron said, coming to join them.

‘’No its not, its one of the first thing a student of Norse ways would learn. We need to meet this your friend.’’

‘’Okay, agreed.’’ Kingsley said. ‘’We’ll meet him tomorrow, y’all should go and sleep, they are enough rooms for everybody.’’ He looked at Aaron and Stella with a mischievous smile and repeated. ‘’The rooms are enough, no sharing.’’

2 Likes

Re: Glitches by Nelly21: 10:53pm On May 01, 2015
Nice update...more please!!!
Re: Glitches by Missmossy(f): 9:43pm On May 04, 2015
adegwurulez:
wetin do them?
They are something else grin
Re: Glitches by adegwurulez(m): 11:14pm On May 04, 2015
Finding himself in Europe at a very tender age wasn’t easy for Michael Olabisi. He was lured into drug trafficking by his host. He shuttled between Russia and Germany, recruiting young African emigrants in the process. The cartel was a very large one and he was quick rising in rank. It wasn’t for long though, Interpol clamped in on them and arrested some big shots in the cartel. This crippled their mode of operation as they no longer had the back bone and bad cops on their side. Soon, members of the cartel started searching for other means of making quick cash. It was in this process that Michael joined ‘The Missionaries’, a European terrorist organization. He became ruthless, killing without mercy. As long as the cash kept pouring in, he kept doing what he had to do.

‘The missionaries’ was one terrorist organization in the watch list of the Russian SVR. They had accepted responsibility for the assassination of the daughter of an MP, Ignashevi Kerzhakov . Michael was captured in the United States of America on the 22nd of March 2010, on an assignment to release a poisonous gas in a train station in Los Angeles. He was transferred back to Russia following an order of extradition from the ICC. After serving few months in jail, his death was staged, and the news headlines all read that he committed suicide. Truth of the matter was, he was initiated into a black ops unit of SVR. Every government needs a group to do their dirty jobs, such that, when it goes south, nothing can ever be traced back to the country. That was what the black ops unit of SVR stood for, a group that takes the mud so Russia stays clean.

He met other criminals like himself, great brains who carved a niche for themselves in the world of crime. In this black ops he saw Doctors, biochemists, physicists, engineers and many other scientists. He wasn’t a scientist but he had brut, an important attribute in their world. Two months down, he was given an operation. An extinct virus had been found, one that could bring countries to their knees. He was given the assignment to go back to his country and get ‘guinea pigs’ – humans to be used to experiment this new virus.

The job was a very easy one for Michael. He knew the level of unemployment in his country so he knew the number of people who would be more than willing to walk into the trap. One week in Nigeria and he had found the perfect people for the job. He made friends with the people at the port. With his money he was able to buy friendship in the shortest time possible. This new friends of his were willing to divulge their travel plans to him. He would have been okay with the number of candidates from the port alone but one kid from way back insulted him and he wanted payback. He had suggested taking the kid with him abroad and his parents were so happy, it was as if they were looking for a way to get rid of the boy. Well, that wasn’t his business, he made arrangements with one of his buddy from the port and he promised him they could smuggle one extra body into the ship. His plans worked perfectly and here he was with a smile on his face, watching the reaction of the kid who had insulted him so many just some weeks back.

‘’I hope my men didn’t mal handle you? you know, some of them are very eager to please me.’’

‘’You sonofabitch! I should have smelt your deceit from the very beginning.’’ Jeremy spat.

‘’Yeah you should have, but poverty played a fast one on you. It covered your auditory canals.’’

‘’It’s olfactory.’’ Jeremy corrected. ‘’Auditory is for hearing.’’

Michael let out a loud guffaw. ‘’Jeremy! Still the same proud kid from way back. You see where it got you?’’

‘’What do you want from me?’’ Jeremy asked.

‘’I could ask for your head, for killing my sister but hey, families are just a bunch of liability so you did me great good there.’’ Michael
narrated with a smile on his face. ‘’what I want is simple. You made a friend about 2days back. I’m talking about the police guy who broke you out of detention. I’m looking for him. Any idea where he might be?’’

‘’I haven’t seen him since that day and even if I have, I wouldn’t tell you.’’

‘’Hmm… I was hoping you would say that. Now let’s play a game.’’
Immediately, Jeremy was lifted up from his seat while Michael stood up. He kept struggling as huge hands grabbed his legs and hands.

‘’Guess what, I’m used to torture, you could torture me till tomorrow but won’t get as much as a name from me.’’

‘’ow Jeremy, you take me for a monster. You are the only monster here. I’m just trying to play good host here. Don’t worry, very soon you’ll see I’m a good friend.’’

‘’I don’t want your friendship, you can shove it up your asss.’’
A hard slap landed on his face as he completed those words.

‘’No please,’’ Michael waded in. ‘’that’s my visitor, don’t maltreat him.’’
They dropped Jeremy in front of a door, Michael walked to the door, imputed a password and it sprang open. He rubbed his hands in anticipation as he ushered Jeremy in. Jeremy was hesitant.

‘’It’s nothing Jeremy, I just want to prove to you that we are friends. Go ahead, step in.’’
Jeremy stepped into the room with trepidation, what he saw sent emotions running through him. His mother was sitting right next to his father, they were both shocked to see him. He ran to them and hugged both of them very tight. He swore he wasn’t going to let them out of his sight again.

Michael let the little family reunion continue, the longer it lasted, the more willing Jeremy would be to help him. No words were spoken as everybody was short of words. Only emotions were on display. When they were done hugging and crying, Jeremy pulled out. He looked at Michael not knowing what to say.

‘’I can tell something is irking you jer, let it out.’’

‘’I..i..i..’’ He stammered. ‘’I don’t know where the guy from the station is.’’
Michael looked disappointed.

‘’Jeremy you are an investment, just like all of your friends on that ship that day. The moment an investment stop being useful, a good businessman shuts it down.’’ He allowed the words sink. ‘’You might be wondering how we were able to track you down. Very close to your cerebellum is a chip. It sends signal to us, so we can be able to track you anywhere you go. But that’s not the only thing it does, it also serves as a kill chip. With just a push of a button, that stuff releases 100mg of cyanide into your blood stream, just enough to kill you.’’

‘’I’m telling you the truth, I don’t know where he is. After I turned that night, he ran. I woke up the next morning and he was nowhere to be found.’’

Michael moved few steps towards Jeremy. He tapped him on the shoulder. ‘’I believe you Jeremy’’ he said and stretched his left hand. One of his men came forward and dropped a pistol in his hand. ‘’you are not giving your brain that push. Think. Anything he might have said that might give you a clue as to where he might be.’’

Jeremy thought so hard but he couldn’t just remember anything. Michael walked boisterously towards Mr. and Mrs. Bassey. When he reached the table, he sat on it. ‘’you know about the condition of your son, I’ve shown you videos of what he can do. Now let me propose a game.’’ He stood up. ‘’ever heard of Russian roulette?’’

Jeremy had heard about Russian roulette. That senseless game where a gun is given to a pair of players with only one bullet in the gun. Each player takes turn to aim the gun to their skull and shoot. The unlucky player who holds the gun when the barrel must have rotated to the point with the bullet, kills himself.

‘’your son hasn’t turn because there is enough light in here. Now that wouldn’t be for long. When the light goes off, he’ll turn and kill you. Unless you kill him before he turns.‘’

He dropped the gun on the table and walked out with his men. When he was at the door, he turned back and looked at the family.

‘’Remember, there is only one bullet in that thing. Make it count.’’

He walked out of the room and switched off the light. He could here soft sobs coming from the room followed by cracking of bones and then a gunshot, then there was a very loud screaming. He didn’t know who the winner of the game was or who the loser was, but he sure as hell enjoyed the show.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Glitches by Nobody: 12:41am On May 05, 2015
Oh man! You'd never stopped to make me wish for more updates more often. This a good job,,,,,
Re: Glitches by jezuzboi(m): 12:51pm On May 05, 2015
This is one of the stories I don't read 4 reading sake. I entertain myself. Very interesting one.
Re: Glitches by adegwurulez(m): 1:57am On May 06, 2015
Wininiel:
Oh man! You'd never stopped to make me wish for more updates more often. This a good job,,,,,
Glad you liked it.
Re: Glitches by adegwurulez(m): 1:59am On May 06, 2015
jezuzboi:
This is one of the stories I don't read 4 reading sake. I entertain myself.
Very interesting one.
Hey man, haven't stopped over at your thread and i feel like i've missed alot. Hope you're good bro..
Re: Glitches by jezuzboi(m): 1:17pm On May 06, 2015
adegwurulez:

Hey man, haven't stopped over at your thread and i feel like i've missed alot. Hope you're good bro..
Yeah, am good. The story has ended though. Working on a new one.
Re: Glitches by adegwurulez(m): 8:52pm On May 07, 2015
‘’Jeez I can’t imagine you guys came all the way just because of a certain mantra.’’ The plumb headed man said, obviously irritated by his visitors who had been trying to read deep meanings into non-existent things.

‘’Dude I wouldn’t be coming to you if this wasn’t serious. Look I gat my face on the 9 O’clock News with huge remuneration for whoever snitches on me.’’

‘’Yeah I saw that.’’

‘’Then you understand this is serious. This is the only way I can clear my name. This is my reality bro.’’
He sighed deeply. ‘’Look bro, it’s just something my old man always likes telling me. He would call me home and tell me stuffs like ‘darker evil is coming’. He says stuffs like that regularly and I don’t even take him serious. For crying out loud, ’in mankind’s darkest moments, the light shall come from within’. What’s that, Merlin?’’

‘’’This old man of yours, where is he?’’ Julian asked.

‘’Dead and buried. Kept chanting his mantra even in his sick bed.’’

‘’Did he ever talk about Lomans with you?’’ Julian asked.

‘’Are you kidding me? We don’t exactly talk about toys or rapstars. ’’

‘’Lomans aren’t toys or rapstars. They are those monsters that parade the streets of Lagos at night, killing innocent people.’’ Kingsley tried to explain to him.

‘’Waoh, never knew they had sexy names. My neighbor josh, he calls them Obj. Don’t know if it’s ‘cos of the looks. I prefer calling them zombies.’’

‘’What you call them doesn’t matter. Did your old man ever talk to you about them?’’ Aaron who was getting impatient, snapped.

‘’Not unless your Lomans are the greater evil he kept talking about.’’

‘’Your old man, did he keep any diary or journals or memoirs, anything that tells us what his daily activities are like or what his thoughts are?’’

‘’NO… no… no… don’t make me do this. You know those are his personal properties, I can’t possibly open up his whole life to strangers, shredding his privacy to pieces.’’

Stella saw where this was heading and she knew it wouldn’t yield fruits. He was going to use privacy to prevent them from seeing what they wanted to see and if they pressed harder, he might offer to check the diary himself, searching for anything closely related to what they were looking. At the end, he isn’t going to find anything because he wouldn’t be looking as hard as they would have looked. She decided to wade in.

‘’Its bobby, am I right?’’ she asked.

‘’Right. But you can call me ‘The capital B’ or Bobby Charlton. I don’t really love the guy – cos that would be gay – I just like the name Charlton, sounds like the name of a Duke or something.’’

‘’Listen up bobby. I’m just hearing of your Dad today and it feels like I’ve known him my whole life. He strikes me as a visionary, someone who sees beyond the darkness and filth that humanity has gotten itself so deep into, someone who is hopeful of humanity’s redemption even in the midst of so many despicable things the human race seem to embrace today. It somehow reminds me of my own father. He was a crusader for greenhouse revolution. Wrote so many articles on the importance of going green. Even though he might not be alive today, he would smile in his grave if anybody ever asks of his articles. You might feel this is encroaching your family’s privacy, but it is very important. If we are to extinguish this darkness that has befallen us, the light needs to come from we humans.’’

Bobby suddenly began to chuckle. ‘’Waoh! That was quite a speech. I’ll start my own speech by saying your old man was old fashioned. I mean, who goes about planting trees all in the name of ‘greenhouse’? If I wanted to be a farmer, I would have used my first year tuition fee to buy a tractor.’’ He burst out laughing but soon discovered he was the only one laughing so he stopped and continued what he was saying. ‘’You don’t know my dad. He was a very private guy, a classic loner. He always separates himself from the world like the filth would rub off on him. Goddamit, he would have disowned me if he realized I was a hard baller. The point I’m making is, he wouldn’t appreciate strangers ransacking through his personal belongings.’’

Segun didn’t get why Bobby was being difficult. Heck he thought Bobby would have been very willing to help clear him of this mess. ‘’dude I get if you don’t want to help me, I’m not angry. All I’m saying is that you consider the countless number of people who are going to lose their lives tonight and the night after. We could do something about it. Look I know you might not be a big fan of your old man’s philosophy but at this point it feels like he was right all along. Man look around you, this is the product of man’s quest for power. Your dad wants you to be that light and that was why he kept singing his mantra to your ears. Now you can chose to save thousands of life and immortalize your dad’s legacy or you can decide to turn a blind eye and rubbish everything that you dad stood for.’’

He waited for a little while and there was absolute silence in the room, everybody with his thoughts. When Bobby wasn’t ready to say anything, Segun stood up.

‘’Let’s go.’’ He announced.

The whole group stood up and walked dejectedly to the door.

‘’Wait!’’ Bobby shouted when they were at the door. They all stopped and turned. ‘’He has this library, it’s not big. But when he is not telling me about the greater evil, he is in that library.’’

‘’cool, where is this library?’’ Julian asked.

‘’ This way.’’ Bobby pointed and led them.

True to his words, the library wasn’t big, just a little room with one shelf and stacks of books on it. On the far end was a reading table and a chair. Julian walked forward to the shelf, she traced her hand on the well carved wooden structure. An emblem was carefully carved on the top of the shelf. She studied it very carefully, then she announced with a smile on her face.

‘’This is the right place, he was a Norse Knight.’’

Bobby looked astonished. He had known his father to be a man of many secrets but a Norse Knight? What’s a Norse Knight to begin with? It was clear this lady was insane, he was going to keep a close eye on her. She just officially got herself a chaperone.

Jeremy sat at one corner of the room sobbing, in the middle of the room was the corpse of his parents. Yesterday, things didn’t play out as he would have wished.

Immediately Michael put off the light and walked out, he rushed to his father and placed the gun in his palm, begging him to end his life but the man couldn’t. Even his mother was sobbing and he immediately knew that beyond the shouts and hate speeches at home, his parents actually loved him. He wanted to collect the gun and shoot himself but his father would have none of it, he clutched tightly to the gun. Then suddenly his bones started breaking, he was still begging his dad while turning but by the time the man made up his mind to shoot, it was already late. The bullet bounced off Jeremy’s chest as he pounced on his father. Even the loud scream of him mom didn’t dissuade him as he did a fine job of tearing his Dad apart, before moving to his mum.

Now he was just staring at dead bodies he couldn’t even recognize. He crawled to his parent’s body, held their corpse and swore he was going to avenge their death.
Re: Glitches by Nobody: 9:02pm On May 07, 2015
HELLO MY FELLOW LITERATURE-LANDERS, THIS IS ADEH39 , THIS IS TO INFORM U THAT THE MISS NAIRALAND 2015 CONTEST IS CURRENTLY GOING ON, AND I AM ONE OF THE CONTESTANTS. I CAN'T DO IT ALONE, I NEED THE HELP OF U GUYS, I WILL HAVE NOTHING TO FEAR IF I HAVE YOU PEOPLE AT MY BACK. PLS, HELP UR LITTLE SISTER BY VOTING FOR ME WHEN THE TIME COMES, THE CAMPAIGN IS CURRENTLY GOING ON NOW........ PLS I NEED VOLUNTEERS 4 D CAMPAIGN TOO... VOLUNTEERS SHOULD KINDLY VISIT THE CAMPAIGN THREAD AND DO THE NEEDFUL, PLS I NEED ALL THE HELP I CAN GET FROM U GUYS. YOUR VOTES COUNTS. THANKS.
Re: Glitches by jezuzboi(m): 1:15am On May 08, 2015
R.I.P to Jeremy's Parents.
Michael..........

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Glitches by FameG(f): 10:07am On May 08, 2015
wow wow wow.Jeremy has to avenge d deathbofbhis parent o. Nice one.
Re: Glitches by kizzykeziah: 10:39am On May 08, 2015
This is really tough for Jer. I can't imagine what he's feeling now after killing his own parents even if he ever hated his old man embarassed

And that Micheal is just......

Now I'm also wishing the team on mission full success. It's just got hotter indeed.

Keep 'em coming, sir.
Re: Glitches by write2obi(m): 12:50pm On May 08, 2015
adeh39:
HELLO MY FELLOW LITERATURE-LANDERS, THIS
IS ADEH39 , THIS IS TO INFORM U THAT THE
MISS NAIRALAND 2015 CONTEST IS CURRENTLY
GOING ON, AND I AM ONE OF THE
CONTESTANTS. I CAN'T DO IT ALONE, I NEED
THE HELP OF U GUYS, I WILL HAVE NOTHING TO
FEAR IF I HAVE YOU PEOPLE AT MY BACK. PLS,
HELP UR LITTLE SISTER BY VOTING FOR ME
WHEN THE TIME COMES, THE CAMPAIGN IS
CURRENTLY GOING ON NOW........ PLS I NEED
VOLUNTEERS 4 D CAMPAIGN TOO...
VOLUNTEERS SHOULD KINDLY VISIT THE
CAMPAIGN THREAD AND DO THE NEEDFUL, PLS I
NEED ALL THE HELP I CAN GET FROM U GUYS.
YOUR VOTES COUNTS. THANKS.
We are here to read and appreciate good stories not to vote for miss Nairaland, please take your publicity to the Romance section Thank you smiley

1 Like

Re: Glitches by adegwurulez(m): 5:37pm On May 10, 2015
jezuzboi:
R.I.P to Jeremy's Parents.
Michael..........
Re: Glitches by adegwurulez(m): 5:47pm On May 10, 2015
FameG:
wow wow wow.Jeremy has to avenge d deathbofbhis parent o.
Nice one.
He has to, but remember he's still a prisoner
Re: Glitches by adegwurulez(m): 5:49pm On May 10, 2015
kizzykeziah:
This is really tough for Jer. I can't imagine what he's feeling now after killing his own parents even if he ever hated his old man embarassed

And that Micheal is just......

Now I'm also wishing the team on mission full success. It's just got hotter indeed.

Keep 'em coming, sir.
Its really tough on jer. Losing your parents under such circumstances would be tough for anybody, especially at such young age.
Re: Glitches by adegwurulez(m): 5:50pm On May 10, 2015
typing...

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (14) (Reply)

Paulo Coelho's And A Boy Selling Pirated Copies Of His Book In Traffic / The Dining Table - A Poem By Gbanabom Hallowell / Perception-A romantic story by Dr Ogo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 117
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.