Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,896 members, 7,817,641 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:07 PM

Surviving In America With No Relatives/friends:please Give Us Your Experience? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Surviving In America With No Relatives/friends:please Give Us Your Experience? (4974 Views)

The Only Street In America With A Nigeria Name / Tips For Surviving An Airplane Crash / Surviving In Nigeria On N80,000 A Month (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Surviving In America With No Relatives/friends:please Give Us Your Experience? by SADLily: 8:39am On Jan 11, 2009
This is my first post in the forum. I wanted to know about the various experiences of people who immigrated to the USA
without having any relatives or friends over there, especially the Dv lottery winners. I'm a student studying in Malaysia pursuing a Degree and (hopefully) a Masters in IT, and I wanted to participate in the Dv lottery but I have no friends or relatives in the USA and I know America can be a rough place to be if you are looking for a home or job. So how do you go about seeking an apartment, job??Do employers turn you down simply because you didn't study in a US University? If I do win and if I'm ever to go to the US, the last thing I want is to be stranded in the airport with no where to go sad so please, I would appreciate your contribution,
Re: Surviving In America With No Relatives/friends:please Give Us Your Experience? by Hauwa1: 1:45am On Jan 12, 2009
you don't have to worry. . . once you are there join a good church. maybe oncampus church and you go from there. you will meet people in your classes who will be willing to give you help/show you the way. open ya eyes, stay focus etc and life will be okay. oyinbo like foreigners so you will be fine. . . just keep shinning ya eyes grin

Finally, win first and the rest is easy wink

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Surviving In America With No Relatives/friends:please Give Us Your Experience? by SADLily: 7:36am On Jan 12, 2009
Thanks for the advice smiley, but you mentioned an on campus church, like in a university campus? What if you are done with Uni and you just want to look for a job, apartment and live your life. I don't have a sponsor, so I'll probably sponsor myself (I hear it's about 1000$), so all I'll have is 1000$ in the bank and no where to go lol undecided
But I guess I'll worry about all this IF I win wink But still it's good to know the ins and outs, so if you have anymore experiences guys please let me know smiley
Re: Surviving In America With No Relatives/friends:please Give Us Your Experience? by Nobody: 9:00pm On Jan 12, 2009
stop counting your chics before they're hatched. It takes extreme luck to even win the lottery. Win it then proceed.
There are like 10 million applications vieing for just 50,000 slots
Re: Surviving In America With No Relatives/friends:please Give Us Your Experience? by SeanT21(f): 9:11pm On Jan 12, 2009
I know a man from Togo who came to the US without knowing anyone alone.When he arrived to the airport,He took a taxi to the closest Hotel.He stayed there until he found a good Job and bought his own apartment.~~My advice to you is do not come to the US alone without knowing anyone.~~U will regret it.~~The US can be a very "cold" place.
Re: Surviving In America With No Relatives/friends:please Give Us Your Experience? by Ndipe(m): 11:14pm On Jan 12, 2009
You wan come America when you dont have any relative? Is it really a do or die conquest?
Re: Surviving In America With No Relatives/friends:please Give Us Your Experience? by larez(m): 12:31pm On Jan 14, 2009
Babygirl, at 18 you shouldn't be thinking of leaving your parent's bosom. In a few years holla back, and we shall offer you direction. One thing for sure is to avoid Nigerians who's backgrounds you don't know. You may be wearing a red bullseye right in the middle of your forehead in their eyes. In 3 years after your first degree, you may be exposed enough to weather the storm. wink
Re: Surviving In America With No Relatives/friends:please Give Us Your Experience? by kayusa: 3:10pm On Jan 14, 2009
SadLily,there is nothing wrong with hoping for the best but one thing I will tell you is if you want to come to the states to work with a foreign degree your chances are a little bit slim because it's a different ball game in the states.Americans believe they are better than anyone else and you will be shocked at some of the experiences you will have because you are from another country.Allot of Niajas won't tell you the truth but if you want to stay here be ready to put up with it and make the best of the opportunities here.Church and Nigerian communities are out of the question.reason why this people practise religion differently from us.
But if you are hoping to come here when you win the DV lottry just be ready to rough it out and suck it up.There are no two ways to it even when you have relatives you will shocked that it does not change anything.

I came to the states through a DV lottry and did not know anyone apart from my wife whom I was dating as of then.Things was rough for her which means I had to go through some hard times.I mean hard times.But if you have some change on you it will help you out by staying in a hotel for awhile until you understand this place a little more and decide what to do from there.
I wish you the best.
Re: Surviving In America With No Relatives/friends:please Give Us Your Experience? by larez(m): 4:23pm On Jan 14, 2009
I recently moved back to Naija after living in the United States for over 26 years. I just don't understand what you guys are saying about her living in a hotel. This is highly impractical and will probably propel her into the wrong hands cos any Hotel that she could afford especially in the major cities will be in the dumps. Her best potential is in being chaperoned by people of status who will allow her to have the right perspectives to flourish. America is as good as the people around you, and you do not want to be deflated by being around unambitious people.

You will find in America, Nigerians with doctorate degrees driving cabs and taking menial jobs. This is because their friends are cab drivers and can only show them what they know. However, when your friends are professionals, then they will hook you up with ideas and directions worthy of the same status. Goodluck.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Surviving In America With No Relatives/friends:please Give Us Your Experience? by Nobody: 9:54pm On Dec 07, 2012
Old thread...but interesting stuff. smiley

My mom cried her first year in America grin grin

She too was 18 years of age. She got her first job within the first three months of her migration to the United States. All they required from her was her ability to speak English (which she could since Jamaica is an anglo-phone country), literate and was good at math - both of which she was/is.

She came with her sister though, and joined the rest of her siblings and her mother so she wasn't alone physically. But she was alone mentally and socially because while the rest of my mother's family quickly adapted to American culture, she couldn't.

It was hard for her because the area that she lived in had a small - VERY SMALL immigrant population and if she wasn't battling AAs being ignorant, she had issues with finding just even a proper meal to enjoy because everything around her was fast food and junk tongue

She didn't become comfortable until she moved to the New England - Tri-State area where there were lots of immigrants (esp. west indians) and she was able to obtain goods from back home in NY markets. There, she felt like she was "at home" while in the united states.

As far as school goes, neither she nor her siblings were denied access to school because of their status.

They met all of the requirements and were legal immigrants so they were able to enjoy the right an "American education". The only thing is (and it's no secret) non-American school systems generally are much better than American ones. The problem is that even though you may know the material already, they will still put you in grade levels according to your age, which is exactly what happened to one of my aunts and cousins. tongue
Re: Surviving In America With No Relatives/friends:please Give Us Your Experience? by lafflaff123(m): 2:35am On Dec 08, 2012
@kails I respectfully disagree with you as your mom's situation does not warrant being called lonely.

She on her decided to delve into her own little world alone(emotionally and physically)and not as a result of circumstanstances.

No matter what,even if your mom don't ask for support her family would be there to support her one way or the other.

On the other hand, the op said ALONE in the United States.

To be alone is not to have any backbone aside whatever you worship in a place where everybody is a stranger.

To be alone in an unfamiliar land is scary,depressing,physically and emotional draining and difficult knowing where or how to begin your life.

Your mom had two things going good for her which are (A)she came to the US from a country where British English is spoken and sometime spiced with the local patua(B)she had support from family.

So imagine a non english speaking immigrant not knowing anybody coming to the US?

Until somebody finds himself in that position,we can only make un-informed commentaries from the side line.
Re: Surviving In America With No Relatives/friends:please Give Us Your Experience? by lafflaff123(m): 2:37am On Dec 08, 2012
@kails I respectfully disagree with you as your mom's situation does not warrant being called lonely.

She on her decided to delve into her own little world alone(emotionally and physically)and not as a result of circumstanstances.

No matter what,even if your mom don't ask for support her family would be there to support her one way or the other.

On the other hand, the op said ALONE in the United States.

To be alone is not to have any backbone aside whatever you worship in a place where everybody is a stranger.

To be alone in an unfamiliar land is scary,depressing,physically and emotional draining and difficult knowing where or how to begin your life.

Your mom had two things going good for her which are (A)she came to the US from a country where British English is spoken and sometime spiced with the local patua(B)she had support from family.

So imagine a non english speaking immigrant not knowing anybody coming to the US?

Until somebody finds himself in that position,we can only make un-informed commentaries from the side line.

(1) (Reply)

What Is The Best Way To Get To Ekiti From Abuja / Warning: Disturbing Images, The Horror Of Attempting Europe By Land. / Morocco Tourist Visa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.