Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,186 members, 7,953,671 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 10:24 PM

Lagos: The World's 5th Worst Place to Live In - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Lagos: The World's 5th Worst Place to Live In (34868 Views)

The UK officially The Worst Place Live In Europe? / Lagos The Beautiful (Pics) / South-Africa: The Worst Place To Live? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos: The World's 5th Worst Place to Live In by 9ja4eva: 5:45am On May 22, 2007
lol
Re: Lagos: The World's 5th Worst Place to Live In by temmyabby(f): 2:57pm On Jun 29, 2007
Lagos 4 lyf, Lagos rock tongue , don't know wot they're talking about, may not be the best place in the world, but 5th worst place to live, hell no
Re: Lagos: The World's 5th Worst Place to Live In by drkchoclit(f): 9:50pm On Jul 01, 2007
All I know is that I will NEVER, NEVER, EVER complain about my work again. Even with my worse days, my worst working conditions, the lowest pay U.S. doesn't even begin to compare to these conditions. These conditions would have people in the US comitting suicide left and right.

Yet Nigerians have so much hope and strength! I love the fact that they find a way, when things seem like there is no way.
Re: Lagos: The World's 5th Worst Place to Live In by 9ja4eva: 3:09am On Jul 03, 2007
Nigerians r da best people on earth
Re: Lagos: The World's 5th Worst Place to Live In by davou4eva(m): 11:18am On Jul 03, 2007
i live all my life in Lagos and i so much love the place but just hat its becoming jungle city everyday
Re: Lagos: The World's 5th Worst Place to Live In by 9ja4eva: 4:20am On Jul 06, 2007
Na d hustle n bussle of Lagos.
Re: Lagos: The World's 5th Worst Place to Live In by Imani(f): 10:57am On Aug 08, 2007
There is the "posh" side of Lagos and the "ghetto" side.

It all depends on which side you find yourself.
Re: Lagos: The World's 5th Worst Place to Live In by BABEELOVE(f): 7:35pm On Aug 10, 2007
Yeah! Posh sides surrounded by refuse dumpsters and riddled with fantastic transportation networks to arrive at these posh destinations. wink
Re: Lagos: The World's 5th Worst Place to Live In by 9ja4eva: 3:25am On Aug 28, 2007
LOL

Not like that
Re: Lagos: The World's 5th Worst Place to Live In by ThiagoLou: 12:35pm On Dec 12, 2007
Hello Friends,

I may look be an outsider here, because i am brazilian, and not nigerian. I am an Anthropologist and found this survey on "the best and worst cities to live in" to be extremely ethnocentrical. I dont think that outsiders can judge the quality of a city based on numbers that "they" (the europeans and north americans) think are important.

I would like to make my doctoral work by living a year or so in lagos and by making friends, hanging out, doing stuff try on my phd work show what people really feel about lagos. It not a survey, its not about numbers.

I live in Rio de Janeiro, one of the most violent cities in the world and yet full of tourists the whole year. We are living a war here, between drugdealers and the corrupt police and everyone thinks rio is a paradise.

It is all year long full of "gringos" - it´s how we call americans and europeans in portuguese (and also in spanish). Trying to dance samba, spending money on hookers, etc.

I´d like to publish something trying to contest this metod of survey: i dont plan on saying if Lagos is good or bad, but the complaints about "quality of living" MUST be made by people who live in Lagos.

Thank you friends, and sorry for the intromission

ps: if anyone can reply me, or is disposed to guide me and help me finding lodging in lagos and making friends, i´d be more than happy.
Re: Lagos: The World's 5th Worst Place to Live In by wany(f): 12:10pm On Dec 18, 2007
i think who ever carried out that survey is wrong,to me lagos is the 1st and not the 5th,some one mention afghanistan,atleast the keep data of their citizenry,and we all no is bomb explosion and ritual with no trace,can you ever compare the reckless kidnapping for ritual,hardcore dare devil arm robbers,or the reckless okada riders or the one chance danfoo buses or the molue and snatching of private part and boobs,or the northern caliphet homosexual that use innocent victims for charms.or the carefree trade of human parts,to them really try to put lagos for 5th him position na 1,i was born and bread in lag,and i still live in lag,so i no wat am saying,lets call a spade a spade,we too dey cover up.
Re: Lagos: The World's 5th Worst Place to Live In by EloSela(f): 12:53pm On Dec 19, 2007
Of all the cities that I have visited Lagos is indeed the worst and it wins that title by a landslide.

No water
No electricity.
Pot holed roads
Massive rubbish dumps
Cripples running in and out of traffic
Traffic jams from hell
Everyone and their Dad trying to flog you ‘pure’ water, water which is probably not clean.
Everyone and their Dad trying flog you every piece of junk known to man while you are stuck in traffic
Policemen openly accepting bribes
The rich carrying on like they don't see the squalor and filth that is around them when they leave their mansions.
So-called private schools in every nook and cranny
Ignorant Area boys
Can’t use generator for too long for fear of attracting armed robbers

Unfortunately I can go on for ever.

It is indeed the worst city in the world and I have been around! Most notably I have been to a couple of Favelas’ in Brazil and they had nothing on the slums of Lagos. Yes they were in a pretty bad state but even there people had the common decency to put rubbish in a proper refuse collection and not throw it out onto the street for someone else to clean as long as it wasn’t in their house.

Re: Lagos: The World's 5th Worst Place to Live In by shinystar(m): 3:51am On Dec 22, 2007
Elosela,

Those pictures are mischievious. There are such sights in all parts of the world. Do they highlight such slums? No. Why? Because they deliberately project good national image. Why not advertise the good sides, not the bad of Lagos?

My only problem with Nigerians is we supply western propagandists with materials to run us down. It is not patriotic and nationalistic.

Let us join hands to stop this current listing of Nigeria in every worst project in the world. there is no country like Nigeria.
Re: Lagos: The World's 5th Worst Place to Live In by egin(m): 4:17am On Dec 22, 2007
shinystar:

Elosela,

Those pictures are mischievious. There are such sights in all parts of the world. Do they highlight such slums? No. Why? Because they deliberately project good national image. Why not advertise the good sides, not the bad of Lagos?

My only problem with Nigerians is we supply western propagandists with materials to run us down. It is not patriotic and nationalistic.

Let us join hands to stop this current listing of Nigeria in every worst project in the world. there is no country like Nigeria.

I totally agree with you. There is indeed "no other country like Nigeria" on the surface of this earth.
Re: Lagos: The World's 5th Worst Place to Live In by 9ja4eva: 8:28pm On Dec 24, 2007
shinystar:

Elosela,

God go bless you.Correct yarns
Re: Lagos: The World's 5th Worst Place to Live In by EloSela(f): 10:40am On Dec 26, 2007
shinystar:

Elosela,

I disagree. These pictures show scenes that are common in Lagos. Lagos is a city where unfortunately the bad disgraceful sights such as these outnumber the good. I understand your patriotic stance but I have never been one to bury my head in the sand and ignore such atrocities because I feel that by doing so I am letting the government literally get away with murder.

The government is responsible for fixing up the roads, providing proper sanitation and trash disposal facilities, proper public transport and decent structure for the wellbeing of all Lagosians/ Nigerians alike but they aren't and until they do I will continue to expose their a$$es to the world. You guys can sit up here deluding yourselves about how Lagos is one of the best cities in the world but I happen to think that Nigerians deserve better and so I will continue to expose until the government fix up and get their act together.

Re: Lagos: The World's 5th Worst Place to Live In by darfur(m): 8:18pm On Dec 26, 2007
jesus shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
human beings live here? i'll rather stay in the village than stay here o shocked jehova
Re: Lagos: The World's 5th Worst Place to Live In by Akintoso: 3:54pm On Dec 31, 2007
let it be the poorest in the world, I cannot but secure better job and stay cooly in LAGOS. Na dem sabi.
Re: Lagos: The World's 5th Worst Place to Live In by JohnDoe2(m): 2:43pm On Jan 01, 2008
Check this out, i'm in a city in south africa called Port Elizabeth, run a seach on the internet d only pics u find are d sandy beaches and shopping malls, but, Not all that Glitter is Gold, underneath all of dat u hav d other part of city, d slump, d armed robbers, port holes, no road, no water , One thing The know how 2 do is PR, they know how 2 sell d city to d tourists , lyk Elosela says unless we learn 2 do dat, Lagos will continue 2 b d worst place 2 live in,

Re: Lagos: The World's 5th Worst Place to Live In by seyibrown(f): 8:23am On Jul 17, 2008
The conditions in which some oyinbo people sef dey live for britain is shocking!

I have been to some homes here and have been really shocked! On one occassion, I actually came near to crying cos' I couldn't believe this bloke was living in that kind of place.

And it makes me wonder sometimes why the british govt doesn't take care of this people who need help instead of poking their noses into other countries' affairs.

I would chose a Lagos/ Nigerian life over some of the lives I have seen here!
Re: Lagos: The World's 5th Worst Place to Live In by lucabrasi(m): 10:52am On Jul 17, 2008
the western apologists have kep quiet now why dont you reply john doe
@topic
lagos might be a dangerous place to live with all the refuse,crime e.t.c i dont dispute that but to say its in the top ten or 5 or whatever is doing a great injustice and erroneous reporting on the part of bbc,personally,im not suprised because its not their first,check their documentary about schools in lagos and how biased they were,the real reson they are pushing the western agenda to put us down constatntly is because of our resources,they know they dont need another saudi arabia,iran e.t.c a large country who have unlimited resources/money will be dangerous to world politics, imagine the largest and most populated african country,the richest and also with a lot of educated and influential people now imagine them attracting foreign exchange in form of tourism,then having a proper government, that wil be a nightmare because in no time we will be aiming for the security councill in un and nuclear programme e.t.c
for the western apologists,dont be blind to propaganda and see the bigger picture,if you are not educated politically go google some sh*t and learn something new, there are slums everywhere in the world in calcutta the common stream they drink from in a part of the city is also used to bath deceased peope and its dirtier than lagos so pls get your facts right!!
Re: Lagos: The World's 5th Worst Place to Live In by origina9ja(f): 11:45am On Dec 18, 2008
cry cry cry cry cryETILL 9JA AL D WAY
BUT KIA WE NEED 2 INPROVE OOOO
Re: Lagos: The World's 5th Worst Place to Live In by chyk91(m): 2:57am On Dec 19, 2008
all this oyinbo and their nonsense stats, i know that lagos is not the best place to live in,. but it being the 5th worst place is absolute nonsense. so jo'burg with all its crime better lagos, monrovia,free-town are all better than lagos. big lie.
Re: Lagos: The World's 5th Worst Place to Live In by phantom(m): 12:59pm On Feb 20, 2009
The truth is lagos is truly one of the worst cities in this world.Why are we so myopic in this country?Our country is still light years behind because we go ahead and decieve ourselves that all is well by not saying the truth.The only thing lagos has is history,population and yes,enough funsports,but life is not all fun.Everything else is zero.Even the so called opportunities are not there.Which is better? a place where a thousand people are competing for a hundred jobs than a million people going for tenthousand jobs.The latter is typically lagos.Thats why till tomorrow it remains a land of dreamers,dreamin of hittin it big while time rapidly goes by,of course worsened by the low cost of living so that a jobless youth wakes up in the morning and eats breakfast,lunch and dinner with just hundred naira.I know people who have gone to lagos in search of gold,ended up stayin for more than twenty years and came back with nothing. sad
Re: Lagos: The World's 5th Worst Place to Live In by chyk91(m): 7:25pm On Feb 24, 2009
how can lagos be the 5th worst place. na lie now.
Re: Lagos: The World's 5th Worst Place to Live In by londoner: 7:58pm On Feb 24, 2009
The government/lagos state are currently building a new Lagos, called Eko atlantic city. In the nxt ten years or so, maybe Lagos will be a city to be proud of, who knows.

I must say living in lagos in not something I would wish upon myself, but then there are some people who love lagos so much they cant live elsewhere.
Re: Lagos: The World's 5th Worst Place to Live In by Nobody: 4:32pm On Mar 03, 2009
******i just waka pass******
Re: Lagos: The World's 5th Worst Place to Live In by meetyommy: 1:30pm On Mar 06, 2009
You people have said stuffs Lagos, a time is coming you ll open your mouth and wonder if you were a part of all that has been said,
I d rather you guys work on been an agent of change you still have time to change your ways
Re: Lagos: The World's 5th Worst Place to Live In by vanitty: 6:03am On Mar 27, 2009
Lagos shoud be upgraded to the worst place to live as far as i am concerned.
I have lived in many places but Lagos takes the crown without any doubt of the worst
Very dirty, congested, dangerous place to live
I hope they clean the place up.
Re: Lagos: The World's 5th Worst Place to Live In by kuntash: 5:26pm On Mar 29, 2009
I have lived and worked in warri- PH - now Lagos, I tell u , I ve just commenced serious fasting and prayer to be transferred back to warri, folks make una join me O grin

I always duff my hat for the likes of Fela, suffering and smiling, all those things he said in his songs are evident or manifest today, if u are opportune to live, work and shop in Ikoyi. fine 4u, else Oba 4 ur head.

Its really a terrible place-(Lagos), do u know if u are to live 70yrs, that would likely spend almost a quarter or more of that on traffics?-

if u earn N500k p/a (average salary of 70% working lagosians); I am sure u are gonna spend a considerable amount there on fueling ur generator; settling mechanic (if u ve a car) cos of bad roads?

its really terrible,

the only time I sleep and 4get myself (natural good sleep)- is when I am outside Lagos,

Park and leave hmm, I only wish its as easy, grin grin grin
Re: Lagos: The World's 5th Worst Place to Live In by origina9ja(f): 1:29pm On Apr 01, 2009
hhummm
gud 2 hear the truth on this thread
something ned to be donr tho
after all lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Lagos: The World's 5th Worst Place to Live In by Sammy107d(m): 5:34am On Apr 02, 2009
Thats what happens when you let the West define your 'Good' and 'Bad'

That a meal tastes good to a bunch of folks doesn't make it a benchmark for every other meal . . .
There's nothing like a universal yardstick. . .
Goose n gander logic. . .
u get?? undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Another Set of BRT Buses Collide In Ikorodu, Passengers Injured (photos) / Amaechi, Ajimobi Inspect Lagos-Ibadan Railway At Ibadan Axis (Photos) / Harvard University Graduates Visit Slave Market, Other Places In Lagos. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.