Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,863 members, 7,817,553 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:15 PM

Mummy Cried: Nsukka Boy’s Presidential Scholarship Story From London University - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Mummy Cried: Nsukka Boy’s Presidential Scholarship Story From London University (31597 Views)

University Of Nigeria, Nsukka Student Shot Dead (Photo) / Nigerian Man Bags First Class In Engineering From London University. Photos / Have U Cried Because Of This Before? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mummy Cried: Nsukka Boy’s Presidential Scholarship Story From London University by olad2020: 10:18pm On Mar 04, 2015
You are one of the few Nigerians with common sense.
Guard it jealously!!!

Pedagogue:
Chibuike,we have SOMETHING in common. CONGRATS.
Mr. President, many thanks for bringing smiles to Mr.Chibuike and his family.

However, democracy should be about bringing joy to the greatest number of people. Awarding scholarships to a few Nigerians cannot move our country forward.

1. What will move our country forward is by ensuring that Nigerian Children have access to quality education.

2. What's the point in investing millions on few students when the GREATER NUMBER of our University students were at home for 6 months; Polytechnics were closed down for 11 months and Colleges of education were under locks and keys for about a year!!!

3.Let's stop celebrating mediocrity. I want a President that will improve the quality of our Universities; not one that will continue the anachronistic order of sending students abroad.

4.If we Improve the quality of our Universities and hospitals; Nobody will go abroad!!!

5. Sending students abroad is a 1960/ 1970/ 1980 mentality. They've stopped all that in Ghana and South Africa.

6.It's a sign of backwardness.

I will vote for CHANGE.Things Must CHANGE

Re: Mummy Cried: Nsukka Boy’s Presidential Scholarship Story From London University by olad2020: 10:30pm On Mar 04, 2015
Another rare nigerian with common sense. Hope is not lost!
God bless your good judgement

nigerhead:
GReat story and may I wish the beneficiary all the best in life. Also can I say this is a good thing to celebrate about the GEJ government, at least this plainly looks like meritocracy taking precedence.

After saying this, can I still declare that I am opposed to GEJ in principle not because he has not done anything good, (I would be lying if I said so) but he has on the balance of things allowed more things to go wrong than right in his administration. I refer to things that are rightfully within his power to have controlled but because he lacks leadership qualities. I do believe that to a large extent GEJ is a good man with basic good intentions, but he does not have the capacity to stand up for those intentions of his, in a country like Nigeria especially, that is a bad trait.

Whether we want to be like ostriches or face the facts, the free fall in our Naira today while primarily due to the fall in oil prices could have been ameliorated better if GEJ had effectively plugged the loopholes in the Petroleum industry and in our Budgeting and Finance as a country. He had the overwhelming will of the people with him and could have done wonders, instead he allowed a few cabal to hijack his government from him.

No matter how you want to play with numbers it is fact that oil sold on average for 100Dollars for at least 3 years, Nigeria was making hefty amount of money in Dollars. Now Mr president constructs a few roads, does trains (truth be told a lot of those aint modern trains, but at least he did something), builds some schools and universities (which aint world class or African class, but lets give him that too), sanitizes the fertilizer distribution system (which would save some money for goverment too) and diversified the economy ( I dont have example of the diversification, but I will happily agree with it). Now can all these that he has done be equal to the amount of money we made within the time frame; considering that our said foreign reserves are now massively depleted and our debts have also massively increased?

At least if we made a whole lot of money and also did a whole lot of things fundamentally important to our economy (e.g light, better communication infrastructure etc), I would say equation balanced, but for us not to see any fundamental restructuring of the economy and also now be back in debts, then the right question is where has the money gone to.

On security, isnt it instructive that the same BokoH that was tormenting the federation for over 4 years is now within a short time loosing their foothold. I have heard stories about USA not giving us arms, my retort is that America is not the only country in the world that sells arms. How was BokoH able to get their own arms. Besides the fact that BH was able to overrun our own army and use their own weapons against us is dishearterning. So what has changed now : POLITICAL WILL. GEJ has now suddenly summoned all his political will and has found the arms we need and also the "leadership traits". NB: The arms did not come from USA still, so where did all these arms now appear from?

Our president also showed crass insensitivity to the plight of the Northerners and by extension the Nigerian people. E.g: going to dance at a campaign rally after Nigerians were killed, refusing to acknowledge for weeks the kidnap of Chibok girls and so many more instances of this nonchalant attitude to the plight of the common man. If anyone of our relatives has being killed or kidnapped and we see our president being so unfeeling to our plight would we be happy to vote him back in. Till today the Chibok girls havnt been found and our President doesnt seem to take a leading interest in finding out their fate, after he begrudgingly agreed they had been kidnapped.

Then there are his utterances, he himself said he would tackle the light problem in 4 years and if he doesnt do it then there is no need to come back. Plans do change, I agree, but at least let him come out and comprehensively tell us what he has done on the light issue and why we still dont have constant light (lets say constant light is at least 12 hours of light everyday through out the whole country).

So, GEJ is the one that has put himself in the position which he finds himself now. He cannot blame APC for his predicament.

#OverAndOut
Re: Mummy Cried: Nsukka Boy’s Presidential Scholarship Story From London University by INNARMORATA: 11:18pm On Mar 04, 2015
...That's no scam neither is it a pdp campaign propaganda...Thats my big bro @Chibuike...We re so proud of you and we all miss you and i miss u more...God be with you bro
Re: Mummy Cried: Nsukka Boy’s Presidential Scholarship Story From London University by kingthreat(m): 11:43pm On Mar 04, 2015
ceejayluv:

While my mother sucks my nuts... Gladly - ceejayluv....
Re: Mummy Cried: Nsukka Boy’s Presidential Scholarship Story From London University by ceejayluv(m): 11:50pm On Mar 04, 2015
kingthreat:

You are right then, Lemme Go screw myself - kingthreat
Re: Mummy Cried: Nsukka Boy’s Presidential Scholarship Story From London University by darkashes(m): 1:37am On Mar 05, 2015
Kola4uniadgog:
by Chibuike Ugwuoke

As a youngster, I had a dream to study abroad but the truth is, dreams are luxuries that can only be accessed when there is money.

My name is Chibuike Ugwuoke was born and bred in Enugu State twenty-something years ago to a very modest family. Even though I wouldn’t say we were poor because we had neighbours that prayed to live in our condition, I knew schooling abroad was reaching for the stars. We simply couldn’t afford it.

I gained admission to study Computer Science at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka in 2007 and by God’s grace, graduated in 2011 with First Class Honours. It was a challenging experience but helped me become the man I am today.

Last year, I left Nigeria for the first time – to begin my Masters of Science (MSc) program in Information Security at the University College, London (UCL). It wasn’t because my parents had become overnight millionaires but because I was one of two hundred and five (205) graduate students to benefit from the PRESSID (Presidential Scholarship Scheme for Innovation and Development) awardees in 2014.

A senior lecturer at the university informed me about it but I felt it was one of those 419 wayo-wayo scholarship schemes that has become a norm in Universities. Besides, I did not expect the final selection process to be credible. In previous regimes, such things are only awarded to people who are related to a prominent person in the government. Somehow I decided to try my luck and apply but even when I was going for the final test phase in Abuja, a part of me felt I was wasting my time.

I’m here in London, but neither the cold nor the fact that I am again the class representative as I was throughout my undergraduate days has made me fully believe that I am not in dreamland.

Hardwork, determination and resilience helped me graduate with first class honours from the university. My classmates who fondly nicknamed me ‘Modulus’ and other schoolmates I met form part of my network of friends today, as do some of my lecturers. There is no point in criticizing the academic structure of most tertiary institutions in Nigeria because the more we complain and point fingers, the more time we give for the system to decay. Personally, I have decided to be part of the needed change and will become a lecturer when I return.

It is imperative to note that this would not have been possible without God and the Goodluck Jonathan administration that initiated this scheme in 2012. I cannot thank you enough, Mr. President especially for lifting a burden from my parents’ shoulders and for fulfilling the dream of a nobody.

When I was notified that I had gotten the scholarship, the first thing I did was to call my elderly mother and tell her. She cried on the phone and I cried along with her. There are few things in this world that beat the tears of joy of a happy woman. Thank you, Mr. President.

http://newswirengr.com/2015/03/03/she-cried-on-the-phone-i-cried-along-with-her-chibuike-ugwuoke-writes-from-london-university/
really modulus worked hard for all dhis coming his way. I practically spent 4years wit him at UNN. Truly he deserved it. But modulus wehn u finish ehn come make I flog u wel for table soccer under GS building as I take flog u last yyear october. Bless broh

1 Like

Re: Mummy Cried: Nsukka Boy’s Presidential Scholarship Story From London University by Emmasonic4me: 9:00am On Mar 05, 2015
Wow! That's Modulus! We all finished from that same house for critical thinkers...the Almighty "Abuja building" in UNN. I remember the few personal contacts and interactions we both made while in sch sorting out lecture clashes as fellow course reps...( few occasions cos I was a year ahead of you...dy/dx '10 )

Thank you Mr. President for making his dream come true.

Infact, GEJ till 2019.!!!
Re: Mummy Cried: Nsukka Boy’s Presidential Scholarship Story From London University by qasmah(f): 2:45pm On Mar 05, 2015
3kw3n5u:

I weep for some people. Some of you talk like imbeciles.

Every beneficiary of the PRESSID scholarship was made to sign a document mandating them to come back and work for the FG in Nigeria. Y'all are complaining that our Universities are whack. How else do you Homo-Erectus scum think the situation can be remedied? Is it the same graduates from our whack universities that should become lecturers? Isn't that recycling trash?
F
GEJ sent these first class graduates over there to learn so they can come back and teach others like the writer, Chibuike, has promised to do. An alternative would be to hire foreign Lecturers and pay them exorbitant fees.

Gawd! Nigeria is filled with dull people.
Do you have any academic qualification beyond primary school leaving certificate?I'm sure even if u did,it was bought that's why u think our universities are whack or what did u say abt them?I'm sure u''ve neva been inside the four walls of any University..pls obtain UME forms ASAP..it's not too late,then u'll know what it is to be a graduate from Nigeria n u'll know that u're indeed d trash u're talking about n dt d writeris one of the many Nigerians who can teach u,and ur oyinbo teachers u so worship....white man's stooge
Re: Mummy Cried: Nsukka Boy’s Presidential Scholarship Story From London University by hersexyness(f): 8:01pm On Mar 05, 2015
Illiterates will always say he (GEJ) has not done anything...

They always think that change comes sudden without knowing that change is a gradual process...

GEJ is for intelligent citizens and those that want to be intelligent not for horrible, terrible & senseless citizens

kudos to u guy...
1st class is not easy especially in a fed uni.
Re: Mummy Cried: Nsukka Boy’s Presidential Scholarship Story From London University by koksy(f): 12:41am On Mar 07, 2015
Pls who knows when the next application form for the PRESSID will come out

Thanks
Re: Mummy Cried: Nsukka Boy’s Presidential Scholarship Story From London University by anselm791(m): 3:29pm On Mar 07, 2015
Whynotthetruth:

Are you first class candidate bro? did you apply?

Oh no, here in the north there's so much insecurity so I could not go to the cafe to register.
Re: Mummy Cried: Nsukka Boy’s Presidential Scholarship Story From London University by khia: 10:07pm On Mar 09, 2015
-

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

May/june Weac Result Is Out / Law School Result: University Of Ibadan Produces 3 First Class Out Of Total Of 5 / Governor Wike Commissions Secondary School At Eleme In Rivers State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.