Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,615 members, 7,813,019 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:20 AM

Marrying For Companionship - Not An Option In Nigeria - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Marrying For Companionship - Not An Option In Nigeria (765 Views)

Relationship Tips: Reasons Why Marrying For Money Isn't A Bad Idea / How I Ended Up Marrying The Lady I Met On Facebook / Marrying For Love Is Wrong (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Marrying For Companionship - Not An Option In Nigeria by nalijah07(f): 4:38pm On Jan 12, 2009
I'm told by one of my close friends that in Nigeria the main focus of marriage is to procreate. She said that it is considered a waste to marry for love or companionship like some do here in the US.

We ventured into this topic because of the fact that my cousin is getting married next year with a HUGE wedding. She has 1 child. Her fiance has two that live with their mother. They have no plans to have children together.

She said that a Nigerian family would NEVER acknowledge my cousin as an in-law unless she was able to produce children during the marriage. When I asked about marrying for love and companionship, she thought that was the biggest joke!

(1) (Reply)

2 Seconds Snapshotsssssssssssss / 101 Ways To Say I Love You / Love.money Or Both?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 6
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.