Stats: 3,150,615 members, 7,809,256 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:51 AM

Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language - Culture (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language (152555 Views)

Igbo Language Teaching Centres In Ile-Ife, Osun State Launched / Canadian Terry Duguid In Igbo Attire During Festival. Photos / Names Of Animals,insects And Birds In Hausa. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by Nobody: 1:16pm On Mar 09, 2015
simdam500:

I wan take am pound yam i.e mortalmortar and pestle undecided cheesy
Ok boss. When you cook your Otu and Amu soup finish, let me know. wink
Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by francizy(m): 1:16pm On Mar 09, 2015
[size=48pt]Best thread so far[/size]

Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by Nobody: 1:22pm On Mar 09, 2015
Ok thanks. As for ukwuani and kwale, kwale is a town and they speak Ukwuani, but not all ukwuani people are from kwale. Kwale is not a dialect or language. I said Ibusa and Ibuzo aren't the same, based on people from that region that I encountered and their opinion. Thanks anyways
tonychristopher:

confusion

They are same nne

Just like saying onicha and onitsha
Owere and owerri
Enugu and enugwu
ahaba and asaba
ukwuani and kwale
Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by francizy(m): 1:27pm On Mar 09, 2015
mirexxx:
wow! didn't know all these smiley

I guess you meant that you didn't know all, if you're an Igbo lady, you shoulder known a few.. smiley

Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by cheruv: 1:27pm On Mar 09, 2015
Plus234:
Sport the different

Lion--agu
Tiger--odum
Leopard.. agụ owuru/agu ogbu
enyi..
this is how it goes for the felines
Lion - Odum
Leopard - Agu owuru
Tiger - Agu akara(marked/striped cat)
Cheetah - Agu oso (fast cat)

this is for standard Igbo though this doesn't render the various dialects useless
Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by tonychristopher: 1:32pm On Mar 09, 2015
LovelyLilac:
Ok thanks. As for ukwuani and kwale, kwale is a town and they speak Ukwuani, but not all ukwuani people are from kwale. Kwale is not a dialect or language. I said Ibusa and Ibuzo aren't the same, based on people from that region that I encountered and their opinion. Thanks anyways

This is where the confusion lies...dear how can you say such, just go back read your submision again and know if their is logic in it.....

It is UKWUANI AND DUE TO THE SINGULAR FACT THAT THE WHITE COULDNT PRONOUNCE THE UKWUANI THE ANGLIZIED IT TO KWALE JUST THE SAME WAY THE WHITES COUNDNT PRONOUNCE ENUGWU THE CALLED IT ENUGU

IN ENGLISH THERE IS NOTHING LIKE gb, ch, kw,sh, etc...if you did english you will understand this IGBUZOR BUT OYIBO NO FIT CALL "GB" THEY SAID IBUSA AND THESE NAMES STUCK, WE AFRICAN SHOULD START CORRECTING THESE MISTAKES

Kwale is not a town, it is ukwuani that is a town in Ndokwa or ukwuani

there is nothing like kwale local government but we have Ukwuani Local Government Area

Pls try to grow up dear, ukwuani is not language but a dialect, you should do research before you talk in public. these names are misplelt names ny whites and it is left for us to correct it.

Ukwuani Local Government Area

Obiaruku is the headquarters of Ukwuani LGA which was carved out of the then Ndokwa West LGA on the 4th of December, 1996 and has an area of 2,016 square kilometres. Nine clans make up the LGA namely; Akoku, Amai, Ebedei, Eziokpor, Ezionum, Obiaruku, Umuebu, Umukwata and Umutu. Together they make up the ten wards of the LGA with a population of about 103,000 going by the 1991 census. The people practice gerontocracy, were the oldest man is installed the traditional ruler, designated Okpala-Uku.

The people are a mono linguistic group-the Ukwuanis (an Igbo dialect).

http://www.deltastate.com.ng/Local-Government/ukwuani-local-government.html

Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by tonychristopher: 1:34pm On Mar 09, 2015
cheruv:

enyi..
this is how it goes for the felines
Lion - Odum
Leopard - Agu owuru
Tiger - Agu akara(marked/striped cat)
Cheetah - Agu oso (fast cat)

this is for standard Igbo though this doesn't render the various dialects useless

Tiger is not found in Africa, it is found in Asia and dont mistake Tiger for cheetah

there is no igbo word for tiger cos it aint african animal bro
Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by tonychristopher: 1:36pm On Mar 09, 2015
LovelyLilac:
Ok boss. When you cook your Otu and Amu soup finish, let me know. wink

onye ojoo

obu amu na otu na agu si kwa gi

mind you we have grades of otu

otu - 0 - 10 yrs
ohu - 10- 39 yrs
ikpu - 39 - 60 yrs
osho - 60yrs and above those that have gray hairs

the best of the best is ikpu

juo okeipku
Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by Eke40seven(m): 2:08pm On Mar 09, 2015
bigfrancis21:

People often mistake egbe = hawk for 'kite'. While growing up I've always known 'egbe' to be the bird that preys on chicken when its mother is unwary and each time the bird swoops down and lifts a chick, people around would shout 'egbe e burula nwa okuko o'. In English, hawks are known to prey on chicks (poultry) and kites on insects. More correctly, 'egbe' = hawk.
You described the animals well but mixed the names. The problem is that you interchanged the Hawk for a Kite in English. The "hovering" or 'soaring' kite, is known and distinguished by its soaring and hovering movements in the sky as it identifies its prey, one of which is the chicks of domestic fowls or chickens more commonly. Even the inanimate kite is named thus because of the bird's movement.
Hawk on the other hand, especially the ones identified in southern Nigeria, are quite smaller with an identifiably different feather markings/pattern unlike the Kite (the kite have a single colour or at most , two colours (brown, I.e the specie found in southern Nigeria) I think the yellow billed kite or the black kite(which is actually brown). The hawks fly and target their preys differently, in one fast swoop and do not hover or soar like kites before targeting their preys.

The kites have a considerably longer wing span.

in essence, the OP is correct.

The kite is Egbe
the Hawk is Nkwo

Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by mirexxx(f): 2:10pm On Mar 09, 2015
francizy:

I guess you meant that you didn't know all, if you're an Igbo lady, you shoulder known a few.. smiley

I'm a Nigerian tongue
Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by tonychristopher: 2:13pm On Mar 09, 2015
bigfrancis21:

@bold...there's actually nothing like 'more igbo' terms. 'enya', 'enye' and 'anya' are merely dialect variations of the same word just as we have humour/humor, flavour/flavor, doughnut/donut, Anaemia/Anemia in British and American Englishes. 'Igbo' is a generic word used to refer to any bia-speaking group that speaks an Igboid dialect as first language. No clan speaks 'Igbo'. If everybody is to go individually, then you would have people speaking 'Owerri language' and not 'Igbo' (after all it is owerri language they are speaking and it is different from what you call 'Igbo' which is central Igbo made up from several Igbo dialects), 'Awka language', 'Nkanu language', 'Ohaozara language', 'Ngwa language', 'Idemili language', 'Onitsha language' etc. Among people who identify as Igbo, they recognize there are numerous Igbo dialects under the 'Igbo' umbrella, hence when they hear a speaker speak, they identify him/her as from 'Onicha', 'Owerri', 'Nnewi', 'Awka', or 'Etche' part of greater Igboland, same way for Ika or Ukwuani or Ikwerre. There is a difference between 'dialect' and 'language'. Dialects are merely variations of the same language. Meanwhile, two spoken speeches can be called languages (different from each other) when there is, at least, 95% incoherence between both speeches. Thus, French and English are 2 different languages but Nigerian English and Ghanaian English are merely dialects of the same language, English.

In the past, and till today, bia-speaking Igbo clans didn't and still don't have a colonialist mentality to colonize others and impose their language on others. Rather, as a community, family unit or village grew in numbers and expanded, some members left to uninhabited areas to establish themselves, carrying with them the parent dialect, which became modified in certain words with time, to create a different sub-dialect of the original one. Thus, any bia-speaking person today who speaks an Ibo dialect as first language is authentically Igbo. His forefather wasn't forced nor oppressed into speaking the language, but was born by birth into the language, which was in turn passed down generation to generation and to the modern-day speaker.

This is not to start a 'Ukwuani are Igbo vs Ukwuani not Igbo debate', but I thought I'd give you a linguistic view of the issue and why researchers and authors still continue to classify 'Ukwuani' as an Igbo dialect despite some Ukwuani refusing to acknowledge they speak an Igbo dialect and are under the 'Igbo' umbrella, by linguistic terms.
Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by Nobody: 2:15pm On Mar 09, 2015
tonychristopher:

nna,

wa
hat is your take on this odum, agu , awulu quagmire?

i know that you dont find tigers in africa so how come we have name for such..what is then the name of kangaroo?

Nna, Odum is lion, Agu is leopard. Awulu, I have never heard. Maybe it's a dialectical variation of NyaWNWURUede (fox).

We have already discussed this tiger issue on this thread.

If they want to keep arguing that our people had a word for tiger, then biko hapu ha.
Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by Nobody: 2:18pm On Mar 09, 2015
If however Awulu is the same animal my people know as agu owulu, then it is the wolf.
Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by francizy(m): 2:20pm On Mar 09, 2015
mirexxx:
I'm a Nigerian tongue

Good for you tongue

Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by Nobody: 2:21pm On Mar 09, 2015
Ekwurum ya! Ekwurum na I mebiela. I macha ihe bu ikpu na ohu na out, wee n'aju m. Smh
tonychristopher:

onye ojoo

otu - 0 - 10 yrs
ohi - 10- 39 yrs
ikpu - 39 - 60 yrs
osho - 6- yrs and above

juo okeipku
Nwokem, jide ka iji biko, onweghi nke na agum.
Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by OgologoDimkpa: 2:22pm On Mar 09, 2015
Radoillo:
If however Awulu is the same animal my people know as agu owulu, then it is the wolf.
Awka and environs calls it Agu Owulu undecided
Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by Coldfeet(f): 2:25pm On Mar 09, 2015
speaktome:

Nwa ticha nkea toro gi "iche " is Parot
thanks now I know.
Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by Nobody: 2:29pm On Mar 09, 2015
Thanks again. I know a lot about ndokwa and ukwuani, I have been to umu-sadege, abi, obiaruku, emu, umutu, utagbuno, ndemili, umu-setti.
tonychristopher:

This is where the confusion lies...dear how can you say such, just go back read your submision again and know if their is logic in it.....

It is UKWUANI AND DUE TO THE SINGULAR FACT THAT THE WHITE COULDNT PRONOUNCE THE UKWUANI THE ANGLIZIED IT TO KWALE JUST THE SAME WAY THE WHITES COUNDNT PRONOUNCE ENUGWU THE CALLED IT ENUGU

IN ENGLISH THERE IS NOTHING LIKE gb, ch, kw,sh, etc...if you did english you will understand this IGBUZOR BUT OYIBO NO FIT CALL "GB" THEY SAID IBUSA AND THESE NAMES STUCK, WE AFRICAN SHOULD START CORRECTING THESE MISTAKES

Kwale is not a town, it is ukwuani that is a town in Ndokwa or ukwuani

there is nothing like kwale local government but we have Ukwuani Local Government Area

Pls try to grow up dear, ukwuani is not language but a dialect, you should do research before you talk in public. these names are misplelt names ny whites and it is left for us to correct it.

Ukwuani Local Government Area

Obiaruku is the headquarters of Ukwuani LGA which was carved out of the then Ndokwa West LGA on the 4th of December, 1996 and has an area of 2,016 square kilometres. Nine clans make up the LGA namely; Akoku, Amai, Ebedei, Eziokpor, Ezionum, Obiaruku, Umuebu, Umukwata and Umutu. Together they make up the ten wards of the LGA with a population of about 103,000 going by the 1991 census. The people practice gerontocracy, were the oldest man is installed the traditional ruler, designated Okpala-Uku.

The people are a mono linguistic group-the Ukwuanis (an Igbo dialect).

http://www.deltastate.com.ng/Local-Government/ukwuani-local-government.html

Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by Nobody: 2:29pm On Mar 09, 2015
OgologoDimkpa:
Awka and environs calls it Agu Owulu undecided

I know. I'm from there.
Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by Nobody: 2:31pm On Mar 09, 2015
Ndi Nkanu di nu NL, ka ka, ndeke ihe bu "amu na asuba ohu". A nuketekwem ya bu okwu nwa, amahokwem ihe o futaru. Deme nu.
Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by Plus234(m): 2:32pm On Mar 09, 2015
Radoillo:

I know. I'm from there.

which town are u from ?
Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by tonychristopher: 2:38pm On Mar 09, 2015
LovelyLilac:
Ekwurum ya! Ekwurum na I mebiela. I macha ihe bu ikpu na ohu na out, wee n'aju m. Smh Nwokem, jide ka iji biko, onweghi nke na agum.

kedu nke bu your category k am deliver the solution

jukwa ese
Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by Nobody: 2:39pm On Mar 09, 2015
Plus234:

which town are u from ?

Awka.
Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by tonychristopher: 2:41pm On Mar 09, 2015
Radoillo:

Nna, Odum is lion, Agu is leopard. Awulu, I have never heard. Maybe it's a dialectical variation of NyaWNWURUede (fox).

We have already discussed this tiger issue on this thread.

If they want to keep arguing that our people had a word for tiger, then biko hapu ha.

dalu nwanne m, i just wanted to straightened it out for the, even i explained cheetah and leopard with pictures

thats it

i respect your submission on igbo matters

Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by Plus234(m): 2:49pm On Mar 09, 2015
I still maintain that Agu is a Lion
Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by tonychristopher: 2:51pm On Mar 09, 2015
if this is ukwuani language it means ukwuani dialect is just igbo cos 90% of these are same with general igbo

when did ukwuani got language status nne?

nice post though nwanyi ukwuani

Ishilove:
In Ukwuani language:

Chicken = Okuku

Duck = Odogume

Hawk= Ukoo

Antelope = Ngbada

Horse = Enyinye

Rat = Mbuka

Crab= Ngiga

Dog = Ekite

Cat = Buusu

Sheep = Aturu

Lion = Eduke

Monkey = Enwe

Snail = Inokpo

Snake = Ifu-ugboko

Grasshopper= Otiokpor

Lizard = Oganezhi

Wall Gecko = Ochu uno

Frog = Ewoh

Tortoise = Akpulosa (pronounced Akpurosa)

Black Ant = Akpisi

Mosquito = Enwu

Worm = Ndidi

Leopard= Agwu

Bat= Iba

House Fly = Egiji

Cricket = Ebuzu

Millipede = Ariri

Rabbit = Erunke

Owl = Ogbome (Aki)

Shrew = Nkapi (Mole-like rat that is known for its pungent smell.)
Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by tonychristopher: 2:52pm On Mar 09, 2015
Plus234:
I still maintain that Agu is a Lion

odum lion
agu leopard maybe chettah
Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by speaktome(m): 3:26pm On Mar 09, 2015
Coldfeet:

thanks now I know.

Udo diri mkpuru obi gi
Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by Coldfeet(f): 3:27pm On Mar 09, 2015
speaktome:

Udo diri mkpuru obi gi
Amem! Ma nke gi.
Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by Coldfeet(f): 3:31pm On Mar 09, 2015
tonychristopher:

onye ojoo

otu - 0 - 10 yrs
ohi - 10- 39 yrs
ikpu - 39 - 60 yrs
osho - 6- yrs and above

juo okeipku

Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by speaktome(m): 3:40pm On Mar 09, 2015
Coldfeet:
Amem! Ma nke gi.

Amen!

Odiriwo gi nma!
Re: Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language by tonychristopher: 3:47pm On Mar 09, 2015
[quote author=Coldfeet post=31456214][/quote]

what is funny

obu na imaghi na ikpu na otu na ohu nwere classifications

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (15) (Reply)

23 Year Old : Obi Nduka Ezeagwuna II Crowned 20th Obi Of Issele-uku - Pictures / 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires / A Short History Of Yorubaland With Pictures

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53